Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Where in the world is [GeoGuessr]?

• ButtersButters Registered User regular
    aannOtO.png

ya!

LOL, Gary. Arguably the most god-forsaken town in the United States.
    hoofsig1.jpg
    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Oh jesus, my second photo is just this lone road going through a semi-arid completely unpopulated area so there's no buildings, no significant landmarks, just a bunch of dry grass and trees/shrubs with a two lane paved road running through it. So really the only thing I have to go on is the plants.

Australian outback is a good bet

Ok, you ended up being pretty close! I clicked down the road and came to an intersection with a road name and then looked up the road in Australia. After checking several intersections I found the right one near the Moore River Reserve just north of Perth. :)

if you're looking stuff up you're playing it wrong

QTyEi.gif
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Haha, what a consistent neighborhood. These are across the street from each other:
    33bhd1x.jpg
    9fp447.jpg
    spideysig.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    aannOtO.png

ya!

LOL, Gary. Arguably the most god-forsaken town in the United States.

should be renamed neal imo
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I prefer playing without Googling. I figure I'm pretty good without that kind of help. I'm smart enough to figure out flags and symbols and regional signs and namesakes and what kind of script that is. I'll move around to go looking for those, but...

Anyway, 13,895 is my personal best so far. (And dear Hannaford, North Dakota: you spelled your sign "BOULING IS FUN".)
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • ButtersButters Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    let me tell you about gentrification

onion-doormat1.jpg
    hoofsig1.jpg
    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Huh, now I've been plunked on foot in the middle of an amusement park.

It was African themed.
    In Tampa. That's a mean trick that I thankfully thwarted due to the people around it being sadly very obviously American and the banners for Jack Hanna.
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    busch gardens fucking rules
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And now I am stuck in the the middle of nowhere. There is literally no road here, just grass and rocks and I can't even move around. I wonder how google even got to this place.

Apparently Honduras.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is it weird that whenever I see the area covered in snow my first thought is "what god forsaken land is this?"
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
    6uUJwlw.jpg

I think I've got this one
    hawkeyesig.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I got dropped inside Shizuoka Stadium.

Inside the stadium. On the track. I screwed up the team because the stadium had little to go on as far as identifying one ('ECOPA' wasn't enough), but that and a gimme trip to downtown Groningen made up for an otherwise subpar round.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
    Damn you Midwest for being one giant forgettable blur.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    aannOtO.png

ya!

Gary????
    2T0N0a3.png
    Neil, please
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BugBoyBugBoy once a boy always a bugRegistered User regular
    so far the only thing I've been able to recognize is the grand canyon itself

this is why I am not geography boy
    j6ig00.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Also, interestingly, I just got plopped in a landmark panorama spot that wasn't from the normal streetview vehicle and couldn't move anywhere from it, so that was a different kind of challange.
    It was the Cuban Capital Building in Havana

I got one of those too, but it was just a grassy hillside in Honduras with no sign of human development in any direction. I guessed by the foliage alone. (And was off by about 2300km)
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    9.8k w/o googling

When in doubt: Australia!
  • FishmanFishman scientia potentia est Robot ProvocateurRegistered User regular
    People google?

I love roaming up and down streets, looking for clues. Signs: Km or Miles? English? Cyrillic? American pick-ups or well-maintained cold-war Ladas? What's the town church?

15587 in my first round. I think I can do better. I kind of blew it in the last round.
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    I think people should play it however they want. If you'd rather not google stuff and just go off the clues you have, go for it! But it's not like looking stuff up means you're dumbing yourself down. You're doing research on something and learning a bit about other parts of the world, so it's all good.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    This isn't a street. This is a Japanese Castle.
    Inside a UNESCO World Heritage Site Castle.
    I got a Japanese fort but I couldn't figure out where on Japan it was, so I clicked on Japan. Ended up being on a remote island in the Pacific hundreds of miles south of Japan!
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Well, I shouldn't say remote. I didn't see the other islands around it but looking closer at the map zoomed in, Naha is actually a pretty good size island surrounded by other islands and it's not all that far south of Japan.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    There's like tour groups and security guards and everything.

Oh, it's Shurijo Castle.

...the fuck is Shurijo?
    Oh shit, it's in Naha!
    I thought maybe you got the same castle as me, but looking at Shurijo it looks different. But maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong angle. What a coincidence though, right?
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Ok, I just found the street view I got before and it is Shurijo. Damn. Unless they have a fairly limited cache of images they use, that's pretty crazy odds.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Now I've got a dude standing on the side of a mountain.

There's no street, no path, just some guy with a Google Streetview cam that's walked up a hill and taken a panorama. I can see a car park about 50m away, but have no way to get there and explore. This is awesome.
    Yeah, I got one like that with a lone car parked in front of what looked like maybe a lone cafe on a mountainside overlooking a harbor in the distance but I couldn't navigate any where. I guessed Chili but I think it ended up being in Greece.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    Okay, after getting one that I pieced together was in central Georgia entirely on context clues, I get one that is ON A BOAT
    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    Starting to feel pretty sure that things like "lone dude on mountain" and "on a boat" are from Panoramio.
    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
    I mean come on
    bNkjYgV.jpg
    redoctober2.png
    13422 no google

was saved by road signs telling me what state it was

4/5 of them were rural ass areas with few clues
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I mean come on
    bNkjYgV.jpg

go Caribbean
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Call these nuts the Sword of Damocles 'cause they're hanging over your headRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    it won't let me make a guess

e: oh you click the map you don't type it in ohhhhhh
    Dongs Galore on
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Call these nuts the Sword of Damocles 'cause they're hanging over your headRegistered User regular
    hm

got an empty dirt road in the middle of a veldt

based on the trees I guessed central South Africa, turns out it was in Northern Botswana

I'm okay with that