Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• CindersCinders Registered User regular
    PEORIA, IL—While celebrating Mother’s Day today, local woman and mother of two Ellen Taylor, 38, was reportedly served breakfast in bed by her children mere minutes after being voraciously eaten out by her husband. “Ooh, what a treat!” said Taylor while receiving a tray of scrambled eggs, pancakes, and orange juice, sitting up on the same damp sheets upon which she had moments earlier moaned in pleasure as her husband’s firm tongue rapidly contorted in and around her slick vagina. “Strawberry pancakes! My favorite!” Upon finishing her Mother’s Day breakfast, Taylor reportedly urged her children to go downstairs and “let Mommy sleep a little longer.”
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    "So it goes"

(I guess pretend there's a non-broken image of an up arrow here)

its me and you against the world on wayfarers I guess
    wut

I let a few too many posts get between that one and the one before. Then I tried to put a picture of an up arrow to guide you but it was blocked from inlining. It's been a long weekend
    haters!

f da haters

Buying one of these instead I will rock them through pure charisma

GRE.jpg

BLA.jpg

Those don't have shutters!
    I should go make some popcorn and watch the Wire.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sounds like you haven't even tried yet ham.

I mean, god damn, trying to save a cat's life is really that inconvenient for you that you can't make a phonecall or craigslist post?

Like I said, I am perfectly willing to jump through a set number of hoops.

But there are limits. That was more what I was getting at -- the principle of the thing. Like at what point does it become a real question as to whether you're willing to jump through x number of hoops before The Other Thing becomes a question.

I still don't understand what you're getting at.

at what point do you give up and have the cats killed, to summarize.

I think she understands that just fine. It's just baffling because it's like, he hasn't made enough effort to even deserve to be asking the question

That might be a stretch.

He's been making posts about the cat situation for ages now. It sounds like this is just the latest cat thing that's been made his problem, in a long line of cat things that's been made his problem.

If I was him, I'd just go and move to New Zealand.

Well to be fair, I haven't actually started the process of trying to find them a Loving Home or whatever yet, so the 'Y'know euthanasia isn't so bad...' thing is a long ways off, which Lud and Sig rightly pointed out. I was more bringing up the abstract point of 'Hey maybe it's not the worst thing in the world ifIcan'tfindthesecatsahome...'

Three of them are ~2.5 month-old weaned kittens, so according to the few people I've asked it should be relatively easy to get them adopted (either through putting up flyers or taking them to a "humane" shelter). Two others are maybe a month old, and still aren't weaned. Two are lady cats that need to be spayed because they refuse -- despite my detailed, pie-chart-based appeals -- to stop having babbies; they probably go. One is pretty sick (worms; skin infections from scratching; underweight) and is likely unadoptable for the foreseeable future. The last one is a spayed kitty who's very well-behaved and probably stays.

It only got so bad because I was out of the country for the latter half of 2012, and between my mom and sister's unmitigated affection for cats, things got out of hand and now we have 9 cats.
    network_sig2.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    I hope you spayed and neuter them all because that sure is seemingly irresponsible of your family.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Brianna Barksdale. Mother of the Year.

• evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Why don't I have an option of when buying prescription glasses of getting the lenses polarized for 3d movies? Wearing glasses on top of glasses fucking sucks.
    Kagera wrote: »
    I hope you spayed and neuter them all because that sure is seemingly irresponsible of your family.

The ones we keep will be spayed. I'm trying to avoid the expense (apparently ~$15 per cat?) of spaying/neutering the babbies if at all possible; let the people adopting them worry about that.
    network_sig2.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    @desc

There's a write-up of Ryuutama in-progress for the Obscure/Mockable RPG thread over at Something Awful

The guy admits it isn't a great translation (and people seem completely ignorant to the fact that the officially licensed translation is going to be kickstarted in a few months), but it's a pretty interesting loose guide so far

I like the equipment system a whole lot
    turtlesig.jpg
    knitdan wrote: »

I think the only two people from the Barksdale crew still in the show are Poot and Slim Charles.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

in here

in baltimore

anywhere you might call home
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    PEORIA, IL—While celebrating Mother’s Day today, local woman and mother of two Ellen Taylor, 38, was reportedly served breakfast in bed by her children mere minutes after being voraciously eaten out by her husband. “Ooh, what a treat!” said Taylor while receiving a tray of scrambled eggs, pancakes, and orange juice, sitting up on the same damp sheets upon which she had moments earlier moaned in pleasure as her husband’s firm tongue rapidly contorted in and around her slick vagina. “Strawberry pancakes! My favorite!” Upon finishing her Mother’s Day breakfast, Taylor reportedly urged her children to go downstairs and “let Mommy sleep a little longer.”

TIME FOR ME TO BECOME A MOM
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    desc

There's a write-up of Ryuutama in-progress for the Obscure/Mockable RPG thread over at Something Awful

The guy admits it isn't a great translation (and people seem completely ignorant to the fact that the officially licensed translation is going to be kickstarted in a few months), but it's a pretty interesting loose guide so far

Which one is Ryuutama? The one where you're playing magical animals that can turn into kids?
    Mim wrote: »

That's an odd trigger for your biological clock.
    All I'm saying is

You have a super hero for craftsman product placement and don't call him the Craftsman?
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    d'awww, little tiny pup dog with thick furs and a happy face
    Ever since i noticed this comedian has a glass eye, i can't not see it. :(
    Evigilant wrote: »
    New addition in my life:
    941622_10151914522689745_1805238907_n.jpg
    Naming her Sasha.

Was that in the Pets aisle? Did you check the expiration date? I always find it's a good idea to take the ones in the back; they're usually newer.
    network_sig2.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Ever since i noticed this comedian has a glass eye, i can't not see it. :(

9Yqw8DI.png
    _J_ wrote:
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    that injustice game is so dumb

flash could never beat superman in a fight duh

so unrealistic
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Man, a 3D printer would be fantastic for Nerf mods.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    throwing this question out here:

I am estimating a modified VAR with bad convergence properties via rewriting it so that it collapses into a VAR with exogenous variables (where I stuff all the bad stuff). then I grid search over all these VARs to locate the parameters for the bad stuff.

so that two-stage treatment gives me two sets of standard errors

which are obviously incompatible

what do I do with em
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

so unrealistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBZDyOC6pU
    FrenchCat2.jpg

so unrealistic

Who would win in a fight, Rocky Balboa or Pre-Crisis Superman?
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Heh, there is a guy who does 3D print some accessories, mostly attachments for the tactical rail available on newer blasters.

The most popular seller is an adapter that turns the Nerf rail into a standard rail used by accessories for actual weapons, such as optical scopes.
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular

so unrealistic

it's the best
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    be careful about wire spoilers

I'll kill you
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
    Variable wrote: »

so unrealistic

it's the best

What was that old Batman & Superman episode? Where Flash races Superman across the world, and it turns out Flash is slightly faster by like a hair or something?
    network_sig2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

so unrealistic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1shzJMX51w
    Per3th.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    New addition in my life:
    941622_10151914522689745_1805238907_n.jpg
    Naming her Sasha.

tumblr_mme48wbXKX1s5e5bko1_400.gif
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    1. I want to write a short story that is set in the "too distant future". The plotline, events, and character motivations will all be entirely incomprehensible because technology, culture, and human life has changed too much for modern people to relate on even a basic level.

2. It would be neat to explore the narrative structures/tropes that would be developed by an alien society that was very deeply and fundamentally different from us on a biological level. It's something that's very commonly touched upon in a lot of sci-fi but not usually explored very deeply or taken seriously. Like, what aspects of their life would they develop rituals around, how would their basic metaphors develop (for instance, what would replace our use of darkness and light in moral terms for a nocturnal species?), what kind of events would engender strong emotions in them that would be impossible for us to relate to?

3. I feel as though there should be a moratorium on fantasy worlds that have a basis in there being "different races" with intrinsic racial characteristics. I mean, it's a pretty hilariously awful notion steeped in unconscious racism. You cannot have a story involving "orcs" that does not recapitulate in some way a myriad of incredibly awful real-world historical stereotypes. I don't know much about Tolkien, though I understand that he was a pretty progressive person. I get the impression that his intention was to lovingly create a mythology whole-cloth that authentically followed the themes of those of ancient cultures, and he was simply transcribing the racism inherent in our actual mythologies. The big problem is that all the fantasy worlds following Tolkien are simply trying to evoke the same sense of adventure and wonder inherent in his stories and obliviously carrying over the rest of the extremely questionable themes along with it. I find that sci-fi that has a lot of humanoid aliens is guilty of pretty much exactly the same thing and very blatantly substitutes species for "racial other". Like Klingons and Vulcans are just humans, and have defining physical features, cultures, and philosophies that are less different from human beings than Europeans are from South East Asians. I mean, any given Vulcan is literally more similar to Kirk in terms of physical characteristics, the stereotypes that he faces, and the cultural attitudes of his ancestors than Sulu is. And yet these ethnic differences are displayed as so alien that they are literally alien. And no one can deny that the Asari in Mass Effect are just plain straight up walking fetishizations of "exotic beauty" in a way that speaks volumes of awful things about white dudes. I mean, 'Asari' is literally a Japanese surname for christ's sake. It bothers me that our collective imagination for what constitutes a bizarre alien culture from the other side of the galaxy isn't nearly as different from us as other human cultures that actually exist in reality.

4. It is incredibly bizarre to think about the fact that the vast majority of things each of us knows about the world, as individuals, is based entirely in absurdly, extremely tiny amounts of information. For instance, the fact that China exists. For me, it is technically possible that China doesn't exist, and that everything I have ever been shown regarding China, including being taught it's language, is part of an elaborate hoax. Yes, I know this is just standard "whoa man" stoner's first Descartes fare, and that it's not in-and-of-itself philosophically interesting and matters little for any practical reason: I am going to go on believing China exists because the alternative is absurdly implausible. What interests me more is simply the confidence that I have in China's reality. China is a very real and concrete place in my mind, as real as the US, and I have very concrete ideas of what it's like. But how much of China have I actually seen, or read about, or heard? The amount of information necessary to describe everything about China, or even just everything of human interest in China, is so astronomically vast in comparison to the amount of information I've actually consumed about it that it's staggering. There are 1.3 billion human beings living their entire lives in China, and literally everything I have ever comprehended amounts to what you can manage in a tiny fraction of an entire human life. I know fucking nothing about China: no single human being knows a fucking thing about China that even registers on a scale of what China actually is. The amount we know about the world in comparison to the amount there is to know about it is beyond any attempt at comprehension. What it makes me realize is not simply that I don't know shit about China, but I don't know shit about the US either, or anything else for that matter. The models we have in our heads are such pale imitations of the world that's actually there that it's beyond incredible to think that they resemble reality in the slightest. You literally cannot imagine 7 billion unique human beings in anything approaching a close approximation. And yet we all, extremely regularly, operate on assumptions that apply to all of mankind. We act as though the same 400 or 500 or 1000 or so archetypes that represent all of the unique personalities that we are physically capable of imagining are repeated 7 million times across the globe. The reality that we operate within on a day-to-day basis is a cartoonish card-board cut-out of something that doesn't even vaguely approach the real world. We are literally incapable of seeing it any other way.

5. Yes I am super fucking high right now, fuck you.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    @desc

@simonwolf do you need an account to view threads?
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

so unrealistic

it's the best

it looks really amazing
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

I am not sure if they do at least I haven't seen anything. The youtube stuff is well documented.

Jay is less funny now he is basically clean.
    falasig.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

That's an odd trigger for your biological clock.

it is the best
This discussion has been closed.