Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Phalla] Time Wars: JUMP 1 - DAY 1

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So Mill is a miller, right?

EDIT: I feel this is kind of an awkward post to have at the top of the page.
    Megafrost on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »

Well quantum theory seems to suggest that I will be a miller in this game. Let me get around to building the time machine and going into the future to see if that's how things play out.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »

Well quantum theory seems to suggest that I will be a miller in this game. Let me get around to building the time machine and going into the future to see if that's how things play out.

This will change the outcome.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular
    In other, completely unrelated news, I really want to make a video game. What is the commonly used programming language for that?
    Nothing super complex just yet. Just a pixelly tower defense game. Based on hobos.
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular

EDIT: I feel this is kind of an awkward post to have at the top of the page.

Let's be clear, Mill has relatively recently run a village network as a mafia, mostly because of @kilnaga
    In other, completely unrelated news, I really want to make a video game. What is the commonly used programming language for that?
    Nothing super complex just yet. Just a pixelly tower defense game. Based on hobos.

If it were up to me, I'd use Java or Python and see if I can find some supporting libraries.

Take it with a grain of salt. I've never done any game programming.
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    oh shit, sorry, kilnaga, you'd already signed up. Fine.
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Mill wrote: »
    Normal thralls and millers that reveal their true alignment upon death are fine, vanillagers can still do analysis. That said fuck death thralls and death millers since those destroy any power that vanillagers and Serial Killers have to do analysis. Granted normal thralls can be a bit OP if played right, but the network can find ways to counter them.
    Fixed that for you. :)
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Invictus wrote: »
    I think in the future, when I host, I'll respond to that clarification question with something like: "I think millers and thralls are normally bad ideas, so I almost never use them. If there are millers and thralls in this game, it is because I have explicitly designed the game to accommodate them."

Would people be happy with that answer?

I mean, I remain the relatively-new guy, but given our discussion about white noise post-Deadlands and the excellent idea behind the Mortician roles in that game, even if they didn't work out as planned, this is a reasonable statement.
    That said, the impression I've had as I've been jumping into this is that you guys are collectively making the fun roles (Mafia, SK, cult, some specials) fun at the expense of the not-fun villager / village special roles more often than not in your game design.

I try to design games so that there aren't any not-fun roles. Specials usually aren't the majority, so you don't want a small population enjoying a game at the expense of everyone else.

38thDoe on
    Capitalism, Ho!
    camo_sig2.png
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular

If it were up to me, I'd use Java or Python and see if I can find some supporting libraries.

I know next-to-no programming things, so I figure I can learn as I go, and maybe eventually someday perhaps have something to show for it
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

I try to design games so that there aren't any not-fun roles. Specials usually aren't the majority, so you don't want a small population enjoying a game at the expense of everyone else.

I thought you designed them to slowly break people down until they start drinking on weekdays and killing all their friends.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular

I know next-to-no programming things, so I figure I can learn as I go, and maybe eventually someday perhaps have something to show for it
    The short answer is that you probably want to look at C# and XNA or Objective-C if you want to deploy to an iphone.

The longer answer is that there are a ton of game engines out there that you probably could use for that. It will probably be an OK introduction to programming, too. But most of them use a scripting language and not like Java or C or whatever.
    jdarksun wrote: »

The short answer is that you probably want to look at C# and XNA or Objective-C if you want to deploy to an iphone.

The longer answer is that there are a ton of game engines out there that you probably could use for that. It will probably be an OK introduction to programming, too. But most of them use a scripting language and not like Java or C or whatever.

JDARK TEACH ME ALL THE THINGS. We shall be beardfriends.
  • ObiFettObiFett Phalla Bounty Hunter Seeking ContractsRegistered User regular
    I'm creating a game in XNA right now and its a great set of tools/ framework. But I'm also almost done with school and have 3 years work experience with C# so I'm not a good judge on how easy it would be for a beginner.

My advice would be to find a game engine that runs in java. Java is the best introduction to OOP and can ease you into programming.
    Phalla Bounty Board coming soon...
    I live in Mesa Arizona right now.

A beard would be uncomfortable.

BEACAUSE THIS PLACE IS HOT AS HELL AND I HATE IT
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

I thought you designed them to slowly break people down until they start drinking on weekdays and killing all their friends.

Why can't it be both?
    Capitalism, Ho!
    camo_sig2.png
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I live in Mesa Arizona right now.

A beard would be uncomfortable.

BEACAUSE THIS PLACE IS HOT AS HELL AND I HATE IT

I live in Louisiana and have one. It is a matter of dedication, my boy! Ded-i-cation!
    tumblr_ll21vkKTrw1qcy5y0o1_500_large.gif
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In addition, let it be known that I don't care if I have to rip the multiverse apart.

I'm gonna murder Phyphor and drink tequila out of his skull by this game's end.

I'm totally gonna be mafia and fool everybody by not killing you on day 1

this wine is delightful
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Invictus wrote: »
    oh shit, sorry, kilnaga, you'd already signed up. Fine.

Never gonna live that one down, am I? :(

Damn diamondclubphalla.

EDIT: Finally got my time travel avatar set. :D

Kilnaga on
    ♪ Sing into the moonlight. Who could ask for more? ♪
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I will die this phalla, but when?
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    In addition, let it be known that I don't care if I have to rip the multiverse apart.

I'm gonna murder Phyphor and drink tequila out of his skull by this game's end.

I'm totally gonna be mafia and fool everybody by not killing you on day 1

this wine is delightful

You seem to be skipping through time. Might want to get that checked out
    The stars are right for a signup.
    Capitalism, Ho!
    camo_sig2.png
    Even if we hit 40 signups, its too late to start it tonight.

Role PMs and Narration will go up tomorrow sometime.

Be excited, this should be fun.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You were just waiting for that 38th signup spot weren't you @38thdoe

If but this phalla were a time phalla
    camo_sig2.png
    Quickly, someone un-signup to shift him up!
    I can't wait for this game to start. I'm jumping to the first narration.
  • RetabaRetaba Rintaro Okabe Mad ScientistRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Almost 40! Hooray.
    Retaba on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Withdraw

I really want to play but Im sick as a dog you guys. Sorry :(
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular

You can be my wingman any time.
    I'm creating a game in XNA right now and its a great set of tools/ framework. But I'm also almost done with school and have 3 years work experience with C# so I'm not a good judge on how easy it would be for a beginner.

My advice would be to find a game engine that runs in java. Java is the best introduction to OOP and can ease you into programming.
    Java is an awesome language to know regardless, and a pretty friendly place to start learning programming... but the game engines that run in Java require you to have a pretty good mastery of the language before you start learning game development. Which is fine if you're OK with that route, it'll just take longer - though you will be better off in the long run, if your goal is to become a developer or software engineer.

Conversely, something like the Unity engine drops you right into game development, and you'll pick up on the basics of development in the process. ...though I'd still pick up something like "Learn C# in 30 days" before jumping in.
    edited May 2013
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Withdraw

I really want to play but Im sick as a dog you guys. Sorry :(

Nice work getting Bedlam sick @Phyphor

Hope you feel better soon Bedlam
    38thDoe on
    Capitalism, Ho!
    camo_sig2.png
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular

You can be my wingman any time.

Java is an awesome language to know regardless, and a pretty friendly place to start learning programming... but the game engines that run in Java require you to have a pretty good mastery of the language before you start learning game development. Which is fine if you're OK with that route, it'll just take longer - though you will be better off in the long run, if your goal is to become a developer or software engineer.

Conversely, something like the Unity engine drops you right into game development, and you'll pick up on the basics of development in the process. ...though I'd still pick up something like "Learn C# in 30 days" before jumping in.

As a little bonus here, java and c# are fairly similar languages so there isn't a huge learning curve if you start in one and switch to the other.

Also unity is really easy to use, free*, and uses c# as a scripting language.
    edited May 2013
    Jump 1 – Day 1 (April 10th, 2351)

Narrations are very important and useful to everyone in this game. DAYs that are considered to have happened before the JUMP will be in black. DAYs that have not happened yet will be in gray.

There was a light and immense pain. You remember it. No, “remember” isn’t quite right. You will remember it? You foresee it? Yeah, foresee is the best word you can think of. Then it hits you all at once, you remember foresee the next 6 years, although much of it is … “blurry”? No… “foggy”? No… “shifting”? YES. Much of it is shifting except for 7 very specific days. You write down the specifics onto a nearby piece of paper and look it over. There has to be something you can do about this…

May 24th, 2351 – Declaration of War
    Dr. Paul-Henri Durand, the pioneer of Time Science and only person to successfully manipulate time, “defects” to the Asian Empire from America. The American government, convinced the defection was coerced or possibly a kidnapping, wastes no time in declaring war. The Asian Empire strikes first, however, when Shàngjiàng Yuen gives the order to launch a barrage of Mark X missiles from their satellites in space. America’s Ballistic Defense System performs well in its first wartime test, shooting down 98% of the threats and casualties are limited to the thousands. General Gomez starts his charge into the Pacific and begins a campaign that defeats the Asian Empire at nearly every turn.

August 3rd, 2352 – Liberation of Seoul
    General Stevens leads the beachhead into the state of Korea and makes progress as far as Seoul in one day. The Koreans make a valiant defense of Seoul but eventually lose control before nightfall. Intel suggests that Asian Empire military command is experiencing infighting, which may account for their lack of defensive capabilities. America announces the creation of a Time Science department headed up by Dr. Roth.

February 13th, 2353 – Invasion of Cape Canaveral
    When American forces pushed up to the border of the state of China, the Asian Empire sued for peace. A month later, General Porter and Ambassador Maynard meet with Shàngjiàng Yuen to go over the terms of the Asian Empire’s surrender. Hours before the meeting was set to begin, unmarked troops embark from stealth cruisers and take control of Florida’s Cape Canaveral. Peace talks are called off and American troops invade China. In the month following, millions of Chinese die.

March 1st, 2354 – S-Day
    America adds another Nobel prize winner, Dr. Johnson, to its Time Science department. Rumors are that the country is making significant strides in tech. In other news, during the year since the invasion of Cape Canaveral, America had learned the Mediterranean Ascendancy was responsible and declared a second war, opening a new front and weakening their strength in Asia. As a result, American troops were pushed out of Asia and are backed up to the California Coastline. To the East, the Mediterranean Ascendancy had repelled all naval and air attacks into their territory and amassed a giant fleet within striking distance of America’s eastern coastline. Newly minted General Gibson hardens the country’s borders on this day, calling it Survival Day, as Stratigos Mancini coordinates the Coalition, consisting of Asian Empire and Mediterranean Ascendancy forces, off the American coastlines.. He leads the Coalition's simultaneous invasion of both American coastlines. Almost a million casualties result from the battles and the Coalition gains a foothold in both of America’s borders.

June 27th, 2355 – Fort Knox Looted
    America yet again buffs its Time Science department by adding Dr. Carrillo to the list of powerful Time Science researchers working on technology innovation. After months of holding off the invaders, Coalition forces strike to huge blows on the same day. Stratigos Mancini focusing solely on the Eastern front, leads a strike team of Mediterranean Ascendancy into Fort Knox, KY and has control of the vault for an entire day. On the Western front, a new Asian Empire leader, Shàngjiàng Sun Tzu outmaneuvers American General Webb and hands America its first major loss on its own soil.

April 4th, 2356 – Mississippi Massacre
    After the looting of Fort Knox, Stratigos Mancini was never seen again. As a result, the Mediterranean Ascendancy’s forces were thrown into disarray and were eventually pushed off of American soil. On this day, they officially declared peace with America and America was now again fighting a one front war. Unfortunately, that one front was proving nearly unwinnable as Shàngjiàng Sun Tzu was handing defeat after defeat to the American military. In what would be the beginning of the end, American General Boyd drew a line in the sand stating that no enemy would cross the Mississippi. The Asian Empire did just that, however, killing hundreds of thousands in the process. Time Science research continues near the capitol and Dr. Kent joins the team. Rumors are that America is getting desperate and may deploy a time based weapon in the near future.

September 28th, 2357 – Rain of Fire
    American General Boyd makes his final stand against his Asian Empire counterpart in the Monongahela National Forest, hoping to reduce his opponent’s superior tactics and movement due to the dense trees. Shàngjiàng Sun Tzu wins without ordering his ground forces to even fire a single round. AE spies had gained access to America’s Ballistic Defense System just days before. With the BDS hacked and offline, missiles rained down from above, setting the trees and soldiers on fire. The bulk of the American military is wiped out.

January 21st, 2358 – Battle of Washington DC
    Shàngjiàng Sun Tzu makes his final push on America’s capitol with ease. Rail Tanks roll onto the White House lawn. The President makes the fateful call to the Time Science department. The anomaly is created.

THE ENEMIES OF AMERICA ARE VICTORIOUS

…And then the light and pain.

ROLE PMs are going out in the next hour. JUMP 1 will end Friday night. JUMP 2 will not end until Sunday night, giving a longer voting period for the weekend. I will let you know when all PMs are out and JUMP 1 officially starts.
    ObiFett on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It's like phalla is encouraging me to drink heavily all Saturday without any worries about things like voting or pretending I'm not mafia...I mean
    PSN SeGaTai
  • AuralynxAuralynx Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    It's like phalla is encouraging me to drink heavily all Saturday without any worries about things like voting or pretending I'm not mafia...I mean

Replace that with Wednesdays and... yep.
    Playing in:
    World's Largest Dungeon 4E as Torbera
    BSG Exodus Game 17 as Tom Zarek
    Twilight Imperium Game 7 as Muaat
    edited May 2013
    Shit, I forgot to sign up.

One moment while I jump back to when sign-ups first went up.

EDIT: Success! I'll be killing you all very soon.
    Megafrost on
    Pfft if you did it properly like you're supposed to we wouldn't even know the the difference!
    But my past self clearly remembers my future self making that post.
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    Funny, he never mentioned you.

Chrono-doppleganger
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
    All PMs are out now. If you didn't get one, please let me know.

JUMP 1 ends Friday at 10pm MST.

Start changing history and/or the future!
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    The refreshing thing about returning to phalla after not playing for a while is that I've forgotten all my grudges. You are all forgiven!

Therefore, let's start with an oldie but goodie, kime.
    Out of the country April 14 - May 5. May not respond to threads in that time.

Aidan Twosouls, Dwarf Shaman, in Vale of Buried Shadows