Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

"A single green light, minute and far away..."

Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of ForksRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Social Entropy++
The-Great-Gatsby3.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
The Great Gatsby is an upcoming film adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel of the same name. Co-written and directed by Baz Luhrmann, it stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Amitabh Bachchan, Isla Fisher and Jason Clarke. It follows the life and times of millionaire Jay Gatsby and his neighbor Nick, who recounts his encounter with Gatsby at the height of the Roaring Twenties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTiwRjAPXcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ud6haTTfFY

So, who wants to talk about the inherent paradox of a movie adaptation of a book that warns against casual and arrogant affluence?

We can talk about classic American literature too, while we're at it, and compare notes on how rich people are categorically awful.
344cwhc.png
2cf4m6f.gif xn9f68.png
I'm looking for PAX Badges! Please PM me if you have a Four Day, or any Single Day Badges to spare!
Romanian My Escutcheon on

• Goose!Goose! I'm jumpin' IN! Wraaugh!Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about this from Yaya.
    trhyfmh.jpg?1
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about this from Yaya.

Nothing on his thread history; you might be thinking of his old avatar.
    2cf4m6f.gif xn9f68.png
    I'm looking for PAX Badges! Please PM me if you have a Four Day, or any Single Day Badges to spare!
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    Carey Mulligan is one billion percent adorable
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Gonna see this at some point
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Geth agrees

Also one of my college professors said, "American literature: when will it start?"
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Also, that Kate Beaton strip is one of my absolute favorites of hers

Also also, Fergie's contribution to the soundtrack being "A Little Party Never Killed Nobody" is kind of amazing, because she's either proving herself shockingly deft with irony or bafflingly unaware of it, and either way is pretty great.

I'm pretty sure it got released on the day of the Boston Marathon bombing, so it had an extra layer of poor timing (on top of it's poor everything else, being a song by Fergie)
  • AphostileAphostile Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Carey Mulligan is one billion percent adorable

All the agrees. All of them.
    Tinychat is dead. Long live Tinychat. D3 BTag: Aphostile#1366 OKC
  • KochikensKochikens Lovely-Cuddle-Blanket-Stephen-Fry-Awesomer Registered User regular
    im so excited for thisssss

and yeah i love carey mulligan
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    This was one of those "probably would have loved it, but English class killed it" books for me, I'm afraid. I know I should probably give it another shot, but... meh

How'd it kill it?
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    I reread this book over the summer and was thoroughly, THOROUGHLY besotted, so I do think reading it at the appropriate time is important.

Seriously though read this and hate it. I dare you.
    But his heart was in a constant, turbulent riot. The most grotesque and fantastic conceits haunted him in his bed at night. A universe of ineffable gaudiness spun itself out in his brain while the clock ticked on the wash-stand and the moon soaked with wet light his tangled clothes upon the floor. Each night he added to the pattern of his fancies until drowsiness closed down upon some vivid scene with an oblivious embrace. For a while these reveries provided an outlet for his imagination; they were a satisfactory hint of the unreality of reality, a promise that the rock of the world was founded securely on a fairy's wing.
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    This was one of those "probably would have loved it, but English class killed it" books for me, I'm afraid. I know I should probably give it another shot, but... meh

How'd it kill it?

I don't enjoy reading to a syllabus as it is, but then the syllabus (as was typical in high school) was set to a very dry, sanitized interpretation with no room for appreciation of style or personal identification or any of the other things that make literature worthwhile.

It was very much a situation where you could read for the grade or for the appreciation, but not both. Of course, being a stupid teenager I rebelled against the dichotomy and did neither- skimmed just enough that I could BS the exam and took my B.
  • ButlerButler Registered User regular
    Russell Crowe would have been perfect casting for Tom. Joel Edgerton's a close second though.
  • LegbaLegba Registered User regular
    I'm so psyched for this movie. Baz Luhrmann is spectacle incarnate.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase It's all in the game though, right?Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really don't like Tobey Maguire's face. It bugs me in anything he is ever in.
    omarsig_zps0eb4ede8.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Baz Luhrmann was hanging out in front of my workplace the other day.

The dude from GOTYE is around there a lot too.
    Flay on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wait, I'm confused.

Why isn't Adrian Grenier on that image?? Why did they change director??
    Fyndir on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular

he always looks like he is on the verge of tears. always.
  • LegbaLegba Registered User regular
    Toby Maguire looks like he absorbed Jude Law in that poster.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Geth agrees

Also one of my college professors said, "American literature: when will it start?"

did you projectile vomit onto his face?
    PoQ0cUz.jpg

he always looks like he is on the verge of tears. always.

making him pretty perfect as the narrator
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is this film supposed to be ironic with its style over substance?
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
    I mean, that's the entire theme of the book

so yes, probably?
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It felt weird that the trailer I saw for this had dubstep in it.

Oddly anachronistic, and yet in hindsight strangely fitting...
    I mean, this is pretty much the perfect setup for Baz Lurhman's spectacle, where his over saturated stuff is the thesis of the movie. This is also just the first trailer, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of the subversive parts of the book weren't shown in any trailers at all.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    The only movie of Baz's I've actually seen all the way through is Strictly Ballroom, because my parents love it - and it's what made me a fan of Cindi Lauper. I just hear he keeps going more and more off the rails as time goes on. Are they worth checking out? You can see hints of future Baz in some of the dream/recount scenes where it takes on a surreal tone, but all in all Strictly Ballroom's pretty straightforward.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    So pumped for this, gosh

Though as much as I love Carrie mulligan (she is spectacular showing ethereally damaged), she was not what I pictured as Daisy. I was expecting Michelle Williams, who woulda been perfect as Daisy
    rat.jpg facebook? tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Wishlist! satan here!
    Moulin Rouge is one of my favorite movies, and I really, really like Romeo + Juliet.

If you aren't aware, Strictly Ballroom is the first of his Red Curtain movies, which is a trilogy in that each movie takes a different way of telling stories and then makes that the focus. So Strictly Ballroom is a story told in dance, Moulin Rouge in song, and Romeo + Juliet in words. They're all really great. I love his style, some people don't like it too much.

Australia is the Pearl Harbor of its time and is a terrible, terrible movie.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Apparently, being colorblind is a huge hurdle to enjoying his stuff. Without being able to "properly appreciate" the stuff he does with color, all I'm left with is the choppy editing, weirdly cold bombast, distractingly showy shot composition (like he designs every shot to be a photograph instead of a piece of a movie that people will be watching for hours), complete absence of emotional nuance, and a profound disinterest in tonal consistency.

That go-for-broke, kitchen-sink aesthetic has its appeal, and I dig in some stuff (Crank 2 comes to mind), but something about Luhrman's execution always bugs the hell out of me. I never feel like he's having fun. Like, all of the craziness feels cold and calculated and deeply artificial, much like how Michael Bay's shit seems to scream "ISN'T THIS FUN?!" in your face at full volume without actually being fun.

I recognize that that's an emotional reaction to his work, and not one everyone shares. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on it. I just cannot get into the dude's oeuvre at all.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    The trailer for this movie is, well..

It's probably the complete opposite of what I'd imagine a Great Gatsby movie trailer looking like. I guess that's maybe the point.
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Apparently, being colorblind is a huge hurdle to enjoying his stuff. Without being able to "properly appreciate" the stuff he does with color, all I'm left with is the choppy editing, weirdly cold bombast, distractingly showy shot composition (like he designs every shot to be a photograph instead of a piece of a movie that people will be watching for hours), complete absence of emotional nuance, and a profound disinterest in tonal consistency.

That go-for-broke, kitchen-sink aesthetic has its appeal, and I dig in some stuff (Crank 2 comes to mind), but something about Luhrman's execution always bugs the hell out of me. I never feel like he's having fun. Like, all of the craziness feels cold and calculated and deeply artificial, much like how Michael Bay's shit seems to scream "ISN'T THIS FUN?!" in your face at full volume without actually being fun.

I recognize that that's an emotional reaction to his work, and not one everyone shares. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on it. I just cannot get into the dude's oeuvre at all.

Yeah, I got the same feeling from Moulin Rouge. It's like someone explained human emotions to him one day, and he tried to do a movie about love. Everything is just kinda off and strange.
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    Also, that Kate Beaton strip is one of my absolute favorites of hers

Also also, Fergie's contribution to the soundtrack being "A Little Party Never Killed Nobody" is kind of amazing, because she's either proving herself shockingly deft with irony or bafflingly unaware of it, and either way is pretty great.

"What baby?"
    "Want me to dimpa-size your meal for 25 cents?"
    "Want me to punch-a-size your face, for free?"
    My movie blog: cinematicsupersonic.blogspot.com
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Craig Ferguson is the best Goddamned host.