Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

"A single green light, minute and far away..."

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tromect & Survive?
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    tromance of the three kingdoms
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Tromancing the Stone
    daft2.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait

Wait a goddamn minute, guys

How is there no Decline and Fall of the Troman Empire?

That's such a slam-fucking-dunk. Gladiators, vomitoriums that are actually for vomiting and not just mass exits, rampant nudity. Holy shit, it would be incredible.

tromigula
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Tromageddon
    2wrn580.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wait wait wait

Wait a goddamn minute, guys

How is there no Decline and Fall of the Troman Empire?

That's such a slam-fucking-dunk. Gladiators, vomitoriums that are actually for vomiting and not just mass exits, rampant nudity. Holy shit, it would be incredible.

tromigula

Cameo by Lemmy as Nero

Shredding on bass as Tromaville burns

Dammit TLB we've gotta get this written like yesterday
    Poorochondriac on
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fucking yes we do

you get the case of whiskey, and i'll steal a typewriter and pick up the blow. this shit gettin' done, pooro.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Good lord some of these early reviews are absolutely brutal
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Good
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay well however the movie turns out to be, the soundtrack is pretty bangin'
  • HacksawHacksaw The "New Scum" Registered User regular
    Luhrmann should adapt The 120 Days of Sodom.
    MetroSig.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    You know who should have directed it

Wes Anderson

Seriously; the book is all about the words, and I know of no other filmmaker whose every frame could be sold as a picture than Wes Anderson.

Bill Murray as Meyer Wolfsheim?

Yes please.

Jason Schwartzman as Nick Carroway? I'd even go so far as to say Owen Wilson as Gatsby; he's got that fake air of benign authority about him.

EDIT: On second thought, flip Schwartzman for Wilson. Wilson as Carroway, Schwartzman as Gastby.

NOW I AM SAD
    daft2.gif
    edited May 2013
    Theater near me is doing a 10 pm show of this
    I'm debating if I want to, I am so tired

edit: it won't let out until 1 am and I have to drive 9 hours tomorrow so it'll have to wait
    Grey Ghost on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    I liked the Redford Gatsby. It was filmed in one of the giant gilded age mansions in Newport, RI.
    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • LarlarLarlar Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    h5 Geth
    iwantanswers3.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I watched this.

I did not hate it but neither was I impressed.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    Baz Luhrmann's A Tale of Two Cities

No but really

Baz Luhrmann's Albert Camus' The Plague
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Reports are that this film made $51.1 million in its opening weekend.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    hey @PaperLuigi44

sure is some bullshit that we don't get this for another two weeks!

you'd think Baz would have our backs
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
    edited May 2013
    Pfffftahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa
    Gatsby on
    daft2.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the book but I'm not interested in the film, just thought I'd bring up some news.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
    I am ruined now since someone brought up the idea of Wes Anderson doing The Great Gatsby.
    daft2.gif
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Baz Luhrmann's A Tale of Two Cities

No but really

Baz Luhrmann's Albert Camus' The Plague

Baz Luhrmann's The Stranger
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • StraightziStraightzi Registered User regular
    Baz Luhrmann's No Exit
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    Baz Luhrmann's Das Schloß.
    Fuck off and die.
  • StraightziStraightzi Registered User regular
    Baz Luhrmann's Brave New World
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Baz Luhrmann's Lost Girls
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    meanwhile, i want all classic literature to be tromanticized a la tromeo and juliet

the great tromatsby

troma dick

troma's war and peace

trolita

Anna Tromanana

Brothers Tromamazov

Trom and Tromability

the adventures of tromaberry finn

heart of troma

tromaville's travels

the count of troma cristo

I probably would have gone with Nuke'lberry Finn.

And Tox Sawyer.
    HlDUfm7.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I am ruined now since someone brought up the idea of Wes Anderson doing The Great Gatsby.

*swoops in*

HEY

*swoops out into turbine of airplane*
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    tumblr_mm903h315q1qeeg5do2_500.jpg

Wow.
    i didnt allow you to post my picture trippy
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    From the Variety review:

"...Luhrmann has complete sentences from the novel appear typed out on the screen — a gimmick explained by a framing device that situates Carraway in a sanitarium, recounting the tale of Gatsby to a captivated shrink (Jack Thompson) who encourages him to write the story down."

Hahahahahahaha, fuuuuuuuuuuck that

oh regardless of this movie sucking, I just found out that the review paints it as if he is in an insane asylum, when he's simply visiting a psychiatrist. He has trouble voicing his experiences, and his psychiatrist suggests writing it down.

so that framing device is whatever, but he's not in a mental institution.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The framing device diffidently hurts the movie though. I spent way to much time being told what happened next instead of getting to see it.

And it made the Narrator to much of a cipher.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
    It's been a looooooong time since I read the book but isn't Nick's role basically to be an entirely passive observer and not impact the plot in any meaningful way?
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    From the Variety review:

"...Luhrmann has complete sentences from the novel appear typed out on the screen — a gimmick explained by a framing device that situates Carraway in a sanitarium, recounting the tale of Gatsby to a captivated shrink (Jack Thompson) who encourages him to write the story down."

Hahahahahahaha, fuuuuuuuuuuck that

oh regardless of this movie sucking, I just found out that the review paints it as if he is in an insane asylum, when he's simply visiting a psychiatrist. He has trouble voicing his experiences, and his psychiatrist suggests writing it down.

so that framing device is whatever, but he's not in a mental institution.

Yeah, it's kind of whatever. It's an entirely transparent, narratively inert device to keep the first-person voice and to let the movie use Fitzgerald's prose as monologue, but it's... no worse than that sounds? On its own it gives away how unambitious an adaptation it is, but it's not something that's actively dragging the film down, I guess.

The words showing up on the screen are tacky as all get-out, but thankfully, these instances are rare
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    The framing device diffidently hurts the movie though. I spent way to much time being told what happened next instead of getting to see it.

And it made the Narrator to much of a cipher.

if they'd made Nick a well-defined character then they really fucked up
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com