Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

"A single green light, minute and far away..."

• YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    I am unreasonably pumped for this movie

but @Poorochondriac has made me feel a modicum of shame about my pumpedness
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    I like, have so much trouble with Baz Lurham.

It's not that I dislike him (or even the colour composition like pooro said, I enjoy it!) I just feel that choosing modern songs in period settings really doesn't help catch the style of the movies that he is going for?

Like what I loved about Gatsby was how it did describe their decadence and their parties and I feel setting it to modern music is really going to really make it miss the mark in that respect.
    Yaya I watched your movie.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is the music that will be playing in the actual movie going to be modern stuff though?
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is the music that will be playing in the actual movie going to be modern stuff though?

Given his filmography, almost definitely
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Blake T wrote: »

that sounds ominous

sorry about the DVD quality
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

they released the soundtrack tracklist and it's all modern stuff
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the soundtrack was produced by Jay-Z and Anton Monstead
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    edited May 2013
    YaYa wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

that sounds ominous

sorry about the DVD quality

It's ok. The storyline isn't something I would usually watch and it was obviously done with a lower budget but it was entertaining and the direction/shot selection was good. (Some of the writing was a little corny but I did like the "forum conversation")
    Blake T on
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    My friend was an extra as a dancer and party-goer in one of the huge extravagant scenes

They apparently used party rock anthem for it
    daft2.gif
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    Given another 20 years of work, Baz Luhrman will have mostly covered my high school English class reading list.

So get crackin' on East of Eden, Baz.
    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    I am unreasonably pumped for this movie

but Poorochondriac has made me feel a modicum of shame about my pumpedness

Man, don't let him get you down

Also I am pumped for this based simply on the director and cast

I suppose I should get around to seeing the Robert Redford version at some point
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    My siblings got the the romeo and juliet film out last year. I sat down with them because I kinda liked it when we studied it in year 8 or something, watched a bit of the first scene and decided to peace out on them. It hadn't held up all that well at all.
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Mercutio and Tybalt are still my favourite parts of that movie.
    daft2.gif
    soooooo this is apparently getting savaged in early reviews

I am trying to work out how bad the reception would have to be to keep me from seeing it in theatres

if Ebert came back from the dead and told me 'hey this movie will literally boot your junk' then that might be enough to keep me away
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    soooooo this is apparently getting savaged in early reviews

I am trying to work out how bad the reception would have to be to keep me from seeing it in theatres

if Ebert came back from the dead and told me 'hey this movie will literally boot your junk' then that might be enough to keep me away
    Using 3D imaging we see that Ebert was point toward The Great Gatsby with one hand and a vacuum cleaner with the other.

Using this information, we can conclude his final review:

This movie sucks.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
    wut
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    From the Variety review:

"...Luhrmann has complete sentences from the novel appear typed out on the screen — a gimmick explained by a framing device that situates Carraway in a sanitarium, recounting the tale of Gatsby to a captivated shrink (Jack Thompson) who encourages him to write the story down."

Hahahahahahaha, fuuuuuuuuuuck that

I'm dying squirtle
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Are those lines also being spoken by the actors at the same time, or are they there to add more information?
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Are those lines also being spoken by the actors at the same time, or are they there to add more information?

They're being communicated via semaphore
    Sammy_11Feb2012-2.jpgSammy_bath2_Feb2012-1.jpg
    oh fuck

umm

okay I may be seguing from 'gotta see this think it'll be great' to 'gotta see this gonna be a trainwreck'
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Goddammit

I was hoping Australia was a fluke and not the new norm
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad HARD TO SPOT Miami, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Goddammit

I was hoping Australia was a fluke and not the new norm

*in very ocker Aussie accent, ala @Tef * "Gotta problem wiv dat there mate?"

HyperBallad on
    louiesig_zps64349e4f.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    From the Variety review:

"...Luhrmann has complete sentences from the novel appear typed out on the screen — a gimmick explained by a framing device that situates Carraway in a sanitarium, recounting the tale of Gatsby to a captivated shrink (Jack Thompson) who encourages him to write the story down."

Hahahahahahaha, fuuuuuuuuuuck that

Oh Jesus.

Now we get to hear about nerds arguing whether the sub or dub version of Gatsby was better.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I only remember two things from his romeo + juliet movie

one was the dude grabbing a gun and calling it a sword because it's the present but we're still talking shakespeare talk

and the other was a dude licking his own nipple
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky Tails, You're my realest friend.Registered User regular
    Romeo + Juliet was one of my favorite movies ever
    But then besides a few funny shots in Moulin Rouge, I hated it

Baz Luhrmann's evidently so polarizing even I have no idea what to make of the dude
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    "man licking own nipple" should be the name of his production studio is all I'm saying
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    final reveal is that it's actually Zelda Fitzgerald who is hallucinating that she is Nick Carroway thus the sanitorium

bring back the awesome posts forum for this post
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2013/05/13/130513crci_cinema_denby
    David Denby on “The Great Gatsby”: “Luhrmann’s vulgarity is designed to win over the young audience, and it suggests that he’s less a filmmaker than a music-video director with endless resources and a stunning absence of taste.”
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Dammit Luhrmann
    daft2.gif
    gatsby why are you being so vulgar
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    this is just what they were complaining about
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I wanted to make a post about how the trailer for this is the most Baz Luhrman ever crammed into 2 minutes of ridiculous nonsense set to anachronistic pop covers but my spirit animal Pooro was way ahead of me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]