Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    It isn't even a good dream!

I love Miles to death but the reason I love him is because he is a little 13 year old kid juggling being a kid and being the new Spider-Man just because he knows how heroic Peter was and it is the right thing to do.

Why make him a 30ish year old dude who will probably join SHIELD? There are other characters that fill that role without completely changing their story!
  • TurambarTurambar Registered User regular
    because spider-man
    avengers_sig.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | last.fm
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    I just like that we've almost gotten to the point in the MCU that any character can make an appear on screen no matter their tier or if the even have books backing them.

IM3 Easter Egg
    Halloween SHIELD special featuring Man-Thing anyone?
    dYjxf8P.jpg
    *Backwood Folk *Eve of the Ozarks *Tumblr
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just like that we've almost gotten to the point in the MCU that any character can make an appear on screen no matter their tier or if the even have books backing them.

IM3 Easter Egg

GIMME
    daft2.gif
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I'm honestly more interested in what they're going to do with the SHIELD team than I am in which Marvel B, C or D lister they're going to bring out week to week. I've seen a show on ABC that basically relies on that trick, and I don't want this to be a marvel version of once upon a time
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly more interested in what they're going to do with the SHIELD team than I am in which Marvel B, C or D lister they're going to bring out week to week. I've seen a show on ABC that basically relies on that trick, and I don't want this to be a marvel version of once upon a time
    I am guessing the emphasis will be placed on Coulson's squad, yeah. Especially since they are all new characters.

I bet whoever the superdude is and maybe a couple namedrops and/or the villain(s) of the season will be the extent of the Marvel characters popping up. Outside of potential cameos from the movie casts.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

if this happens I am personally blaming you now that you have breathed life into the fear.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    I'll just be over here, dreaming about a Halloween-themed episode where they meet Elsa Bloodstone and she tells them that Dracula is real and has an awesome mustache
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    If this is basically a monster of the week show only with low level superheroes and supervillains I might be okay with it, though, because that's pretty different. Marvel's got a fair bit of villain organizations too, though, and those could serve pretty well as fodder for season long arcs and what have you, as well
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Yeah. I'm hoping this will be the next Buffy type show.

Rock solid characters (most of the time!) good over arcing stories and some fun monsters of the week.

Although Heroes for hire featuring in AoS sounds pretty cool you gotta admit.
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

But.. Batman: Brave & The Bold is awesome!

Oh.. wait, you are talking about something else. Nevermind.
    Athenor on
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    Blake T wrote: »

Rock solid characters (most of the time!) good over arcing stories and some fun monsters of the week.

Ideally they'd build up a good secondary cast of characters that could crop up as they go. Luke and Danny would be good in that kind of role, as would a lot of the street level guys. I dunno if I'd want to see Daredevil in this, though, but that may be me being too attached to the idea of a Daredevil solo series
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

IM3 Easter Egg
    *crosses fingers that they retcon Brandt into surviving Iron Man 3.*
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Ideally they'd build up a good secondary cast of characters that could crop up as they go. Luke and Danny would be good in that kind of role, as would a lot of the street level guys. I dunno if I'd want to see Daredevil in this, though, but that may be me being too attached to the idea of a Daredevil solo series

Daredevil might not show up.

But I'm certain Matt Murdock will.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    "Someone really wanted our initials to spell out SHIELD"

Okay, yes, this is officially a Whedon show.

That line was actually good

So either Whedon is evolving as a writer or that was someone else's contribution

I have my own thoughts as to which

This is exactly the kind of thing Whedon writes and has been writing since Buffy days
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!

Why can't Daredevil show up?

So either Whedon is evolving as a writer or that was someone else's contribution

This is exactly the kind of thing Whedon writes and has been writing since Buffy days

Did Joss Whedon write the pilot? I thought he was only directing.

"Might not" is neither "will not" or "can not".

I don't know if Daredevil as a superhero will show up but I feel confident we'll at least see Murdock making some super hero Lawyering.
    detail-1.jpg

"Might not" is neither "will not" or "can not".

I don't know if Daredevil as a superhero will show up but I feel confident we'll at least see Murdock making some super hero Lawyering.

I'm positive if or when Murdock appears Daredevil will follow, even if it occurs at a later date.
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    I was under the impression Whedon was playing a JJ Abrams on Lost or Fringe style role as opposed to being a major consistent figure behind the scenes of the show.
    dYjxf8P.jpg
    *Backwood Folk *Eve of the Ozarks *Tumblr
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for some Hank Pym and Stephen Strange cameos (further down the track, of course).
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
    I was under the impression Whedon was playing a JJ Abrams on Lost or Fringe style role as opposed to being a major consistent figure behind the scenes of the show.

Either way he co-wrote the pilot with his brother and brothers wife.

detail-1.jpg
    edited May 2013

He is. His brother Jed Whedon and Jed's wife are the showrunners. Joss Whedon's a consultant and directs the pilot.
    Harry Dresden on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Pilot was written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen

That is some Whedon-ass dialogue though
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Did Joss Whedon write the pilot? I thought he was only directing.

he co-wrote the pilot with Jed and Maurissa
    Centipede Damascus on
    Pilot was written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen

That is some Whedon-ass dialogue though

I don't know why everyone responded with "Did he even write it" when it was pointed out that is a very Whedon line. Other people use Whedonisms too.
    detail-1.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    And Jed and Maurissa are just about as Whedon as you can get without being Joss.

Like Unbreakable said, this is going to be a Whedon-ass show.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Give me a run down on Whedonisms.

Only stuff of his I know is Firefly, Astonishing X-Men and Avengers. The one thing I hear most about is "girl power" I guess but its one of those things I don't notice.
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    To clarify I was specifying the quality was better than Whedon's usual output

Not that it was not the sort of thing he would usually write

Because of course it is
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!

Only stuff of his I know is Firefly, Astonishing X-Men and Avengers. The one thing I hear most about is "girl power" I guess but its one of those things I don't notice.

There's also Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, which is probably his most inconsistent (I'm being nice) show.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

There's also Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, which is probably his most inconsistent (I'm being nice) show.

I am aware of those properties but the stuff I listed is stuff I have watched and read.

Is it quirky jokes? Cause those things did have a lot of quirky jokes.
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular

I am aware of those properties but the stuff I listed is stuff I have watched and read.

I've always seen Whedonisms being referred to as a character's dialogue being extremely self-aware. Like.. not that they are in a movie aware, but just a little pointed and "real talk" for natural conversation.

A good example of a whedonism is stuff like Tony Stark seeing the guy on the bridge of the Helicarrier playing Galaga. That line may have been ad-libbed by RDJ, but the accompanying clip of the guy nervously going back to playing? Definite Whedon moment.

Also, Whedon has a really big thing for breaking up strong couples in shitty ways.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471

Not even really "girl Power" so much as he writes girls to have a sense of strength and agency about them that is unusual. The part of that that seems to get on some peoples nerves is he likes to do "tiny waif of a girl with super strength" which I think is less about "girl Power" and more about it being a visual subversion he likes to do. Buffy after all started with the idea "picture the a girl being stalked by a horrible monster but when it attacks instead of what you expect she turns the tables on it and kills it".

Whedonisms as in his way of writing script tend to involve being very flippant and lampshady about things. The line we are talking about is a great example of that. He also likes to do a lot of semi meta-stuff. Episodes in which you take examine the comic relief, or dialogue or music(often by taking it away). He'll do stuff where a character will leave a building and a villain will skulk out of the shadows and start monologuing about his plans only for the character burst back into the room "Is somebody in here?".

Stuff like that.
    detail-1.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular

A Whedonism is defined (by me) as a shitty, unfunny one-liner that is either the reverse of a typical line or some dumb obvious observation, usually to another cliched line

It usually sounds like something that no actual normal, believable human being would ever say in conversation, because it is either too clever, too off-the-cuff, or even outside of the character's usual voice

Black Widow gets two of them in the Avengers and they are both terrible
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    Also the very naturalistic dialogue

Stuff like this

Willow: "Buffy, it's not about blame."
    Buffy: "Well it feels pretty blame-y!"
    Willow: "Or you're being projecting-y".
    Spike: "I'm also gonna add 'Y' to the end of my sentence-y... You both make valid points-y."
    detail-1.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    He also has a habit of killing characters who people tend to like or who totally didn't have it coming.

Though Coulson's "death" wasn't his idea.

And the above Whedonism is extra cringy (see?) because Halle Berry didn't even read it correctly. It was supposed to be flippant and dismissive, not serious and foreboding.
    Renzo on
    Joolander wrote: »
    Everyone gives him shit over this line but he also wrote the amazing "You're a dick." Line