Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, neither Danny nor Luke has crazy superpowers that require a huge FX budget and an odd couple superhero private investigative team is basically the ultimate TV show.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, neither Danny nor Luke has crazy superpowers that require a huge FX budget and an odd couple superhero private investigative team is basically the ultimate TV show.

Yeah, I mean, Iron Fist punching a dragon's heart is something you save for the movie

But the Heroes for Hire shit? Basically the perfect TV show
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Some stories work better for film.

Some others for television.

Game of Thrones, for example.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Hell a tv show might even work better at building up hype because then you establish a fanbase outside of those who know and love the duo from the comics, and now you have an even wider audience who will be more receptive if ever a movie focusing on them or involving them comes out.
    daft2.gif
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I liked Cage and Iron Fist from EMH

more of that please
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    I don't know what kind of heroes for hire story you're thinking of, but that's a pairing that's almost made for TV
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It should probably be noted that I am primarily focusing on the introduction of Luke & Danny (and thus their origin stories).

Everything afterward would work great for television.

garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Give me a run down on Whedonisms.

Only stuff of his I know is Firefly, Astonishing X-Men and Avengers. The one thing I hear most about is "girl power" I guess but its one of those things I don't notice.

There's also Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, which is probably his most inconsistent (I'm being nice) show.

Joss was the showrunner for Buffy (until seasons 6 & 7), Angel and Firefly. Jed and Maurissa were Dollhouse showrunners, Whedon helped create the concept for Eliza Dushku and was a consultant - similar to what he's doing with SHIELD. Jed and Maurissa are SHIELD's showrunners.

Well that doesn't make me feel any better

The first 5 or so episodes of Dollhouse are extremely shitty, because FOX asked them to make it a procedural to not scare off people.

No one watched it anyway and once they were actually allowed to do all the batshit crazy stuff they wanted to do in the first place it got awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    reminder: pre man-thing, Ted Sallis was like

Hank Pym crossed with Tony Stark

just ungodly smart
    but he used his intelligence to help the military and lived to regret his research helping to end lives
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i think they could give both Cage and Rand their own movie

because well, Rand deserves a whole movie to develop him, you dont just shove PUNCH THE HEART OF A DRAGON into something else
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    ugh I feel awful about posting that I just direly want Luke Cage to be in Agents of SHIELD.

In other news, I just finished playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and it was awesome I just wanted it to be longer and have more cool cameos, I guess? Stan Lee's cameo in that game is mindbogglingly awesome.
    JungleAction17.jpg
    fun fact: Panther's Rage could be considered the first story arc in comics that could be read as a complete novel
    This overlooked and underrated classic is arguably the most tightly written multi-part superhero epic ever. If you can get your hands on it ... sit down and read the whole thing. It's damn-near flawless, every issue, every scene, a functional, necessary part of the whole. Okay, now go back and read any individual issue. You'll find seamlessly integrated words and pictures; clearly introduced characters and situations; a concise (sometimes even transparent) recap; beautifully developed character relationships; at least one cool new villain; a stunning action set piece to test our hero's skills and resolve; and a story that is always moving forward towards a definite and satisfying conclusion. That's what we should all be delivering, every single month. Don [McGregor] and company did it in only 17 story pages per issue.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    olivaw slack off a little, man

i mean... your heart, dude

If I die telling people Joss Whedon is a bad writer then it was a life worth living
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i think they could give both Cage and Rand their own movie

because well, Rand deserves a whole movie to develop him, you dont just shove PUNCH THE HEART OF A DRAGON into something else

No wait you do.

They get into a fight with some supervillain who is like "At least the other guy has actual super powers. You're just a kung-fu guy" and then Rand starts listing all his a achievements and the last one is just "Oh yeah and I PUNCHED THE HEART OF A DRAGON" and then he uses the ol' Ironfist.

Then when him and Cage are calmly walking away Cage is like "Wait... YOU FOUGHT A DRAGON?!?!".
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
    mention it offhand in the show, sure, but you show it on its own
    15Tpj.jpeg
    tumblr_mmtnkrfUNr1qdv42bo1_500.png
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Olivaw wrote: »
    olivaw slack off a little, man

i mean... your heart, dude

If I die telling people Joss Whedon is a bad writer then it was a life worth living

well I mean if you want to devote your life to spreading an opinion that's not really accurate you could always just say jrpgs are worthwhile
    Well after the explanations of the Whedonisms I have come to the conclusion...

I like it. I want more of it. Wanna hear more people of fiction have fun talk and one liners.

You'll love A Cabin In The Woods.
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    yeah i'm not really sure where this sharp attitude about (exceptionally) fictional people saying semi-unrealistic things comes from

pretty sure it has something to do with my arch-enemy, the "nerd"
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    yeah i'm not really sure where this sharp attitude about (exceptionally) fictional people saying semi-unrealistic things comes from

pretty sure it has something to do with my arch-enemy, the "nerd"

You're a nerd.
    jkZziGc.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    "people don't talk like that!"

people talk fucking boring in real life though so who even cares

I once saw a film where it tried to replicate the way people talked in real life, replete with all sorts of 'ummm's 'ahhh's, and people just generally losing their train of thought all over the place. It wasn't very good.
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I forgot about Cabin in the Woods. I've seen it twice. I own the blu-ray.

It's a fun teardown of horror movies, which was perfect for me, since I think 99% of horror movies are junk, especially recently. Carpenter's The Thing excluded.

Anyway, Cabin totally overshadowed the other Whedon movie that summer.

Something about superheroes, I think. I dunno, wasn't that big of a deal.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I get the feeling that some of the "Whedonisms" stem from a lack of faith in the actor. Many of the "Whedonisms" seem like they could have been done better with the right body language rather than spoken dialogue.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

I once saw a film where it tried to replicate the way people talked in real life, replete with all sorts of 'ummm's 'ahhh's, and people just generally losing their train of thought all over the place. It wasn't very good.

I feel like Home Movies is kind of like that, though its tight pace keeps it interesting.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular

whenever people make this complaint about the movie Brick I am seized with a terrible anger
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    No see the solution is just to have every movie be like Drive

A relatively small amount of dialogue with a lot of meaningful silences
    this is a joke post
    SirEtchwarts on
    acblackflag.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

I feel like Home Movies is kind of like that, though its tight pace keeps it interesting.

well Home Movies is mostly improvised
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Antimatter wrote: »
    people dont say that theyre seized with a terrible anger!

They do in poorly written movies.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm in the boat of "I'd rather hear characters talk much wittier than normal people"

If I just need someone to talk like a normal person, there's Jeff Goldblum, that's all I need
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I hate this argument with the fire of a thousand suns

I hate that phrase like I hate my coffee.

In any way, shape or form.

...I don't like coffee.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    PEOPLE DON'T ACTUALLY TALK LIKE THAT, GG
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!