Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

• RetabaRetaba Rintaro Okabe Mad ScientistRegistered User regular
    MrT for being a reserve and then magically signing up.

You really shouldn't read that much into it.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I would argue that players are defined by their victory conditions, while alive/dead states are reachable by any player and are independent of faction/abilities/etc.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
  • ObiFettObiFett Phalla Bounty Hunter Seeking ContractsRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Right

All proposals with at least 4 supporters that would otherwise be ineligible for debating, are now considered eligiblethere is no limit to the number of debates. I challenge Invictus to prove otherwise

Support
    Phalla Bounty Board coming soon...
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    I am willing to change my vote if you RP your avatar harder.

Assertion: I am not programmed to follow your requests, meatbag.
    Proposition: If you would vote for someone else, I can power down the spinlasers locking onto your frontal lobe at the moment.
    Interrogatory: Have you heard of lasik?
    what is TRV's avatar?
  • ObiFettObiFett Phalla Bounty Hunter Seeking ContractsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    HK-47 from the KOTOR series

funniest character Bioware has ever made

edit: or at least tied with Minsk and Boo
    ObiFett on
    Phalla Bounty Board coming soon...
  • LockeoutLockeout Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Premium, who I know not to trust.
    Closest thing to a grudge vote I have.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    what is TRV's avatar?

Disappointment: You are not familiar with the HK-series, meatbag?
    Nope. Never played KOTOR. Last star wars related game was... Rogue Squadron on gamecube I think?
    Dismissive: Your loss, meatbag
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Right

All proposals with at least 4 supporters that would otherwise be ineligible for debating, are now considered eligiblethere is no limit to the number of debates. I challenge Invictus to prove otherwise

I support this one. I would really love to debate in general, and I think I am in a unique position to dispute this one.
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    This is getting a bit technical, but the communication rule might be disqualified on the grounds that living players are affected differently than dead players.

All player's are treated the same, as long as they meet certain conditions.

Same could be said of a rule like:

All players that have a victory condition of outnumbering the village shall have their identities announced in narration.

This is structurally identical to the problem of levels of abstraction (or, as it is sometimes called, the individuation of maxims) in Kantian ethics!
    Interesting... is it because the rule itself is Kantian thus any nitpicking about targetting a specific pool of players necessarily similar?
    Invictus wrote: »
    Right

I support this one. I would really love to debate in general, and I think I am in a unique position to dispute this one.

That is why I specifically picked you!
    Right

Support

Between seeing Phyphor in action in the last rule game, and knowing that invictus usually lays down incredible analysis posts, i think this will be the most fun debate to watch.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I propose that every dead player is assigned a living player randomly each day and are allowed them to communicate with each other, and challenge megafrost to prove otherwise
    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
    whoops I messed up the syntax with that BUT YOU GET IT
    Interesting... is it because the rule itself is Kantian thus any nitpicking about targetting a specific pool of players necessarily similar?

No, I was unclear.

You say: "All players are treated the same, so long as they meet certain conditions."

MrT says: "But wait, we can frame almost any difference as a matter of meeting certain conditions, like here's one: 'All players that have a victory condition of outnumbering the village shall have their identities announced in narration.' "

I say: "The problem MrT has highlighted is structurally identical to a problem faced by Kantian ethics!"

The problem Kant faces is that his theory critically depends on the framing of particular rules; for example, if someone steals some bread, which of the following rules are they following?

a) Steal if it is convenient.
    b) Steal if you need to in order to eat.
    c) Steal if it is convenient and your hair is dyed blonde and you have a middle name with seven letters and you live in Ohio and you prayed first.

Per the rest of Kant's theory, if the thief was following a), the action was plausibly impermissible; if the thief was following b) or c), the action was plausibly permissible. What makes it the case that c) is not a legitimate framing of the rule?
    well, i would say there is a difference between states that anyone can enter, and qualities that a person cannot change. Like, convenient and pray first are enterable states, but the stuff that defines the person, hair color, living location, middle name cannot be changed.

So, when you were the host for the last game, and the final mafia rule was anyone who declared peace got removed etc. etc., why did you judge the way you did?
  • RetabaRetaba Rintaro Okabe Mad ScientistRegistered User regular
    You can dye your hair, move or get a legal name change though.
    edited May 2013
    well, i would say there is a difference between states that anyone can enter, and qualities that a person cannot change. Like, convenient and pray first are enterable states, but the stuff that defines the person, hair color, living location, middle name cannot be changed.

1. Lots of that stuff can be changed. I can actually do the exact same point just in terms of living at a particular address, which can obviously be changed, and still the point retains its force.

2. Why does that difference matter?

3. As a matter of fact, Kant is committed to a very thin notion of personal identity, such that the move you're trying to make is not really open to people who go in for his view.
    So, when you were the host for the last game, and the final mafia rule was anyone who declared peace got removed etc. etc., why did you judge the way you did?

I am not sure exactly what you mean. I am happy to answer you, once I'm a little clearer on the question, but I'm a little concerned you're importing into a particular context the broad claims I've made about the arguments around a moral theory. My reporting these arguments here ought not be understood as an endorsement of those arguments as being decisive.

EDIT for clarity.
    Invictus on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    That's true, they should just make it player's choice. Ghost Rule Amended:

I propose that dead players gain the ability to send and receive messages to a single player of their choice. The dead player may choose a different person each day. I challenge Grunt's Ghosts to prove otherwise.

This is SlyM's idea, so if he wants to renominate so he gets to argue for it, then abdicating my own nomination would be the right thing to do.

Support only so I can teach the village something about "Game Theory".
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SLyM wrote: »
    I propose that every dead player is assigned a living player randomly each day and are allowed them to communicate with each other, and challenge megafrost to prove otherwise
    Support!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    Also, Gizzy, because I don't think I've ever voted for her before.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227

1. Lots of that stuff can be changed. I can actually do the exact same point just in terms of living at a particular address, which can obviously be changed, and still the point retains its force.

3. As a matter of fact, Kant is committed to a very thin notion of personal identity, such that the move you're trying to make is not really open to people who go in for his view.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. I am happy to answer you, once I'm a little clearer on the question, but I'm a little concerned you're importing the claims I've made about the arguments around a moral theory into a particular context. My reporting these arguments here ought not be understood as an endorsement of those arguments as being decisive.

Honestly, I think i may have done that. Carry on.

As far as the Kant stuff goes, i think the difference is that i am considering personal identity where it shouldn't really be applied. I'm sort of making the discernment as states that are reach by a player as a result of their actions or actions of others vs. conditions reached solely by what their roles are (their inherint identity, I guess). Anyways, clearly out of my league here, but it was interesting because i know so very little about the subject.

I am not sure exactly what you mean. I am happy to answer you, once I'm a little clearer on the question, but I'm a little concerned you're importing the claims I've made about the arguments around a moral theory into a particular context. My reporting these arguments here ought not be understood as an endorsement of those arguments as being decisive.

Honestly, I think i may have done that. Carry on.

As far as the Kant stuff goes, i think the difference is that i am considering personal identity where it shouldn't really be applied. I'm sort of making the discernment as states that are reach by a player as a result of their actions or actions of others vs. conditions reached solely by what their roles are (their inherint identity, I guess). Anyways, clearly out of my league here, but it was interesting because i know so very little about the subject.

If you are in fact interested, here is a short article by Onora O'Neill, who is the best contemporary author at summarizing Kant's ethics.
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Grunt's Ghosts so my vote isn't on TRV anymore.
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Are proposals limited to one idea? Or can we have multiple rule/role changes together in one proposal document?

It will be exceptionally difficult to effectively earn points on an increasingly elaborate proposal.
    Can we just click the agree button on the proposal we like more?

This is easier for me to spreadsheet and I don't care about other people. :D
    If a proposed rule that is ineligible to be enacted gains the most support, will the next in order of support be debated, or does the debate become a purely academic exercise?

Ineligible debates will not be debated.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
    What's the vote count?
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Despair. Registered User regular
    Grunt's Ghosts: infinity
    Everyone else: zero

:P
    steam_sig.png
    Grunt's Ghosts: infinity
    Everyone else: zero

:P

Looks right to me!
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

But will an eligible debate be debated?
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Kime

Lets get the madness off right.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    So at what point to I make my super reveal and save myself?
    Depending on activity levels any time between 1 and 5 hours before vote close
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    I can't wait till debates start.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Hmmm... I'll work on in. Just don't vote me out.
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular

But will an eligible debate be debated?

Clarification

denied.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
    is vote close in twoish hours?