Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

EA - Your Exclusive Publisher of a Galaxy Far Far Away

AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
The Walt Disney Company and EA Announce Multi-Year Star Wars Games Agreement

Deal will bring new Star Wars games to fans across the most popular gaming genres and platforms

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Official link

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Fear the cow. Registered User regular
    I revived the previous thread. Oops. :oops:
    XBL - ArchSilversmith
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    Here's a winning idea: instead of making a mediocre Medal of Honor game after another, make a Star Wars first person shooter. It could still be mediocre, but it'll sell better.
  • SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out just exactly how I feel about this. :-/
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    Visceral should adapt this:

980655.jpg
    sigvf.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Battlefield 4: Hoth?
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    If you thought the sun was bad in B3, just wait until there's a map on tatooine
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The only upside to this is the impossible possibility of KOTOR 3. Since they killed that with the MMO I'll believe this is good news when it happens.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    I think Obsidian has been nudging EA to let them make another KOTOR.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    So, I don't follow game dev stuff, what stuff has DICE and Visceral made? Are they considered good studios or meh studios?
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    DICE is Battlefield and Visceral is Dead Space. Their latest have been pretty meh, but they done good stuff in the past.
    edited May 2013
    Battelfield/Mirror's Edge/Dead Space. So they CAN make good games. But EA probably won't let them with Star Wars.

Bah, beated.
    Xeddicus on
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge Feels like I'm wearing nothin' at all Stupid Sexy FlandersRegistered User regular
    I look forward to RPG's and horror games that devolve into generic third person shooters by their 2nd/3rd iterations based in the Star Wars universe. Long live EA
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So, I don't follow game dev stuff, what stuff has DICE and Visceral made? Are they considered good studios or meh studios?

DICE does Battlefield, and Visceral does Dead Space (also Dante's Inferno). Both studios have a good track record.

Man, im hoping we get a SP BioWare RPG, Visceral's take on Death Troopers and Star Wars: Bad Company outta this deal.

We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DICE made Mirror's Edge. Other than that nothing of interest. Visceral is basically exclusively known for Dead Space.

I just realized that this will probably put more on DICE's plate and that keeps them from making another ME so that's bad.
    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    I was just now musing with slash000 that this could lead to EA becoming "the Star Wars and NFL guys."

I can't get a grip on how I feel about this news. Disney certainly wasn't wasting time with this (not to suggest the deal was only conceived after Lucasarts closed, this deal was likely what influenced the closure). I just thought Disney would've stuck to licensing as deals are presented, rather than making things exclusive. Maybe they got talked into it by EA. It's the sort of inside-baseball that we'll never, ever find out about.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    ITT: Unreasonable hope and people's review of games by omission.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I think Bioware is doing ToR stuff, given the "continue" in there.

I'd love to see a DICE Republic Commando 2 and a Visceral game about bounty hunters or something. I never got all the love for Death Troopers.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was just now musing with slash000 that this could lead to EA becoming "the Star Wars and NFL guys."

I can't get a grip on how I feel about this news. Disney certainly wasn't wasting time with this (not to suggest the deal was only conceived after Lucasarts closed, this deal was likely what influenced the closure). I just thought Disney would've stuck to licensing as deals are presented, rather than making things exclusive. Maybe they got talked into it by EA. It's the sort of inside-baseball that we'll never, ever find out about.

Rumors were that Disney wasn't having many suitors line up for the license and it's understandably why. If you're a big name there's typically more money to be made on an IP you own and if you're a small name the license is way too costly to be worth the risk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    No need to muck up a perfectly questionable licensing deal with the addition of zombies.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    So now we get our TIE Fighter/Wing Commander crossover, right?
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote: »

Rumors were that Disney wasn't having many suitors line up for the license and it's understandably why. If you're a big name there's typically more money to be made on an IP you own and if you're a small name the license is way too costly to be worth the risk.

Good point. I guess when you have a big ol' franchise you have to decide if you want big-players-only or set the bar low.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DICE made Mirror's Edge. Other than that nothing of interest. Visceral is basically exclusively known for Dead Space.

I just realized that this will probably put more on DICE's plate and that keeps them from making another ME so that's bad.

I think I've officially played too much Mass Effect.

I read this post and sat here confused for an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out what the fuck DICE would have to do with another Mass Effect game.
    sigtk.jpg
  • plufimplufim Registered User regular
    No new Star Wars games on Nintendo systems then.
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I've been chewing on this for a few hours since a coworker of mine passed me the news this afternoon. I've come to the conclusion that my opinion will be based on what developers EA gives the license to. EA has a lot of developers under their wing at the moment, so there is the possibility of both good and bad from this.
    edited May 2013

I was going to post that this was an indicator of EA's overall health, and you raise up a good alternative point. EA hasn't been doing great with their original/traditional IP. Knights of the Republic, Kingdoms of Amalur, MoH, Syndicate, Secret World, Tiger Woods, Shadows of the Damned, Sim City, Dead Space 3, Bulletstorm, Mirror's Edge. They have a whole lot of under performers and complete failures in comparison to quality and good selling titles.

While I think your suggestion is probably a big factor for Disney, I think EA is really hoping to hedge the SW brand's flexibility and gamble on the brand. They could continue the KotOR series if they'd show a little competence, Battlefront III is something that people have been begging for, and EA can churn out cheap and kid friendly DS and 3DS games.

Though I wonder if Disney was having trouble courting even non exclusive license opportunities or if they simply wanted too much.
    I've been chewing on this for a few hours since a coworker of mine passed me the news this afternoon. I've come to the conclusion that my opinion will be based on what developers EA gives the license to. EA has a lot of developers under their wing at the moment, so there is the possibility of both good and bad from this.

Well, I guess in a perfect world they would give KotOR to Mass Effect guys, Battlefront to the Battlefield guys (I would be interested in a Star Wars: Battlefield game), and... well. The Dead Space guys could get on an action game, and maybe a 1313 type game. I wonder if EA got that in the deal as well.
    SemiHollowCarrot on
    Movie-Video Game tie ins.
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote:

Well, I guess in a perfect world they would give KotOR to Mass Effect guys, Battlefront to the Battlefield guys (I would be interested in a Star Wars: Battlefield game), and... well. The Dead Space guys could get on an action game, and maybe a 1313 type game. I wonder if EA got that in the deal as well.

Oh, believe me, I would love that stuff, and it would be the obvious thing to do. I'm just not sure if EA would do that, or if they would take risks by going in a different direction. That's why I'm kind of in wait and see mode at the moment.
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote:

Oh, believe me, I would love that stuff, and it would be the obvious thing to do. I'm just not sure if EA would do that, or if they would take risks by going in a different direction. That's why I'm kind of in wait and see mode at the moment.

I'm banking on them half assing it.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    A DICE Star Wars game would basically be the best thing

Because the fucking Battlefront games were like Battlefield filtered ten times into their most watered down state possible
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty okay with this.

They can't do any worse then LucasArts was already doing.

New Jedi Knight game starring Kyle Katarn please and thank you.

Or Battlefront 3: The Mandalorian Wars

Or my fucking Republic Commando sequel.
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • DhalphirDhalphir Registered User regular
    Oculus Rift Jedi Knight game.
    11237-1.png
    I could really go for another Shadows of the Empire.
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    I'm on a wait and see mentality. I mean yeah, "Rar rar EA", but it doesn't cost me a thing to see what comes down the pipeline before making any judgement.
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Movie-Video Game tie ins.

See I would love to see a Mirror's Edge esque bounty hunting FPS or a new Republic Commando but the cynic in me thinks this is what they will be.

Also we're seeing a lot more movie license games just being mobile now, although maybe Star Wars is a big enough franchise that any tie in will get a full console release.
    mere_immortal on
    Steam: Dr. Mark Sloan - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mere_immortal - 3DS: 0748-1545-6684
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    Never really got the hate some people have for EA.

Voted worst company in America?

Over motherfucking BP and Exxon?
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    Assuming that everything will be exlusive to Origin, it might not be too bad.

I however, assume most of it will be exclusive to Origin.