Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

EA - Your Exclusive Publisher of a Galaxy Far Far Away

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge Feels like I'm wearing nothin' at all Stupid Sexy FlandersRegistered User regular
    If any of it ends up on Origin I won't be touching it. EA's customer service is so horrid that I've had to make two new accounts to access Origin. It's stupid to the point where I won't buy anything from Origin on the principle of not supporting services that are awful.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    Still, you'd have to be hella silly to think they were the worst company in America.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I'd never say that; I live in reality, not crazy middle-class urbanite world where a company with shitty online distribution can somehow be worse than any of ten million actually horrible things happening in the world.

Just that Origin is a wretched service, enough so that I refuse to use it any longer.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I can't wait for the Star Wars and Madden crossover. It will be truly epic.

It'll be those retarded football robots from Episode 2.

How does it feel to kill a dream? I knew this would end in tears, but I was hoping for a few months on the hype train.
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    Still, you'd have to be hella silly to think they were the worst company in America.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I'd never say that; I live in reality, not crazy middle-class urbanite world where a company with shitty online distribution can somehow be worse than any of ten million actually horrible things happening in the world.

Just that Origin is a wretched service, enough so that I refuse to use it any longer.

It just baffles me that there are people alive right now who think a company that fucked up a Sims game is worse the companies that have literally killed people and destroyed the American economy.

I mean, I expect a certain level of goofieness from the Internet, but that's morally repugnant as balls.
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.

It just baffles me that there are people alive right now who think a company that fucked up a Sims game is worse the companies that have literally killed people and destroyed the American economy.

I mean, I expect a certain level of goofieness from the Internet, but that's morally repugnant as balls.

It doesn't baffle me in the slightest, but I also expect people to be incredibly stupid, especially on the internet.
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I feel that folks expecting sequels or continuations of existing Star Wars properties are going to be disappointed.

For good or ill, Disney appears to have its own creative vision for the Star Wars Universe and any fruits of this agreement with EA are going to be largely in service to that vision.

I expect new releases to tie in to the new Star Wars Episodes currently being developed and to reflect their tone and direction.

Republic Commando 2 was never going to happen. It couldn't justify itself in the salad days of 2005 let alone today's environment.

The KOTOR universe is effectively dead outside of SWTOR.

A SW game developed by DICE with the Frostbite engine makes obvious sense, but it won't probably won't be marketed as Battlefront 3.
    steam_sig.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon with XWings oh glob that would be sweet as hell.

Namco Bandai already does melodramatic dialogue with their radio chatter in Ace Combat, so they would be perfect for Star Wars! (I honestly would love this)
    Maybe this could be the Star Wars video game thread instead of the business ethics thread. Like, can we talk about whether we'd prefer a Battlefield Star Wars game or a Mirror's Edge Bounty Hunter game from DICE?

Wall-flip on the streets of Nar Shadaa and pew pew a Trandoshan with dual DL-44's. I'll be a happy man.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • DhalphirDhalphir Registered User regular

what baffles me more are the people defending the votes saying "oh it was just a CONSUMER website"

i'm sorry when something is titled the woorst company in america it should kind of, you know, include all the companies in america.
    11237-1.png
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    It's a nomination bracket meant to emulate the NCAA playoffs. If it were really trying to be a realistic poll, it would probably go the route of MCC's GOTY polls.

Can we not get hung up on this? Personally, I really don't like the fact that EA just cleaned out all their B-tier development right before signing this exclusivity deal, as it means something's going to break. Star Wars games have never been AAA material, because the source material isn't AAA material. It's B-movie pulp.. and this is NOT an insult. It's just a different type of moviegoing experience, and its games have reflected that. EA doesn't know how to do B-tier anymore, I fear.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Maybe this could be the Star Wars video game thread instead of the business ethics thread. My dream right now is that EA takes a look at what Chris Roberts is up to and they say to themselves "we used to own that guy, maybe we shouldn't have let him go, I guess we should copy what he's doing" and they make a brand new X-Wing / TIE Fighter game designed for the PC with next-gen graphics and it will be amazing.
    TychoCelchuuu on
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir Registered User regular
    a new Rogue Squadron using the Oculus Rift.
    11237-1.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    If it's going to be Oculus Rift it's going to be PC, and if it's PC, Rogue Squadron is a child's game compared to the legitimate flight sims Lucasarts used to make. I mean, nothing against Rogue Squadron, but it's not exactly TIE Fighter.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • C2BC2B Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    And there goes my hope for another Obsidian developed Star Wars RPG.

Excuse my, while I visit my sad corner.
    C2B on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Personally, I really don't like the fact that EA just cleaned out all their B-tier development right before signing this exclusivity deal, as it means something's going to break. Star Wars games have never been AAA material, because the source material isn't AAA material. It's B-movie pulp.. and this is NOT an insult. It's just a different type of moviegoing experience, and its games have reflected that. EA doesn't know how to do B-tier anymore, I fear.

While it's true that Star Wars is B movie pulp, I am not sure how this is meaningful for this context. Almost everything that gamers buy in quantity is based off of the pulp genres (Military and Mil SF, Men's Adventure, Fantasy).

Now you could argue that Star Wars is not a AAA gaming property at this point, and that I would agree with, but to say that B movie material can't provide the basis for a AAA gaming experience seems a bit off given the trends over the last generation.
    steam_sig.png
    Athenor wrote: »
    Personally, I really don't like the fact that EA just cleaned out all their B-tier development right before signing this exclusivity deal, as it means something's going to break. Star Wars games have never been AAA material, because the source material isn't AAA material. It's B-movie pulp.. and this is NOT an insult. It's just a different type of moviegoing experience, and its games have reflected that. EA doesn't know how to do B-tier anymore, I fear.

While it's true that Star Wars is B movie pulp, I am not sure how this is meaningful for this context. Almost everything that gamers buy in quantity is based off of the pulp genres (Military and Mil SF, Men's Adventure, Fantasy).

Now you could argue that Star Wars is not a AAA gaming property at this point, and that I would agree with, but to say that B movie material can't provide the basis for a AAA gaming experience seems a bit off given the trends over the last generation.
    It's pretty much a nonsense comment - "AAA" doesn't describe any level of genre quality, it describes how much money and time the publisher sinks into the game. AAA games are AAA games because of their production quality, not because of t he content or lack thereof in their stories.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    If any of it ends up on Origin I won't be touching it. EA's customer service is so horrid that I've had to make two new accounts to access Origin. It's stupid to the point where I won't buy anything from Origin on the principle of not supporting services that are awful.

Eh I had my account hijacked by a someone in Russia and it took all of 15-20 minutes to get it back from start to finish.

My only real complaints with Origin are the servers aren't anywhere near as reliable as they should be. Oh and they won't let me combine accounts for some reason which isn't a huge deal for me since the only thing I'd get out of it is my preferred screen name. They did at least move all my games to the profile I'd actually purchased things via Origin with though.
    sigtk.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I tell ya, as a fan since '77 (check the icon), this whole Disney-acquisition thing has been one endless round of "the frogurt is also cursed." Case in point: new movies! ah, but we're giving them to JJ "moar lens flare" Abrams, just as soon as he finishes #$%*ing up the other big sci-fi franchise of my youth (check the sig). Greeeeaaat. And now:

"There will be more SW games! But not from LucasArts; we finally took that label behind the barn and put it down. But other respected studios will take up the task! All of them owned by EA. But new games! All of them probably only available on EA's crappy Steam knockoff named for a once-awesome company that they killed years ago."
    Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'm surprised nobody has thought about what this could mean for any releases of Lego Star Wars: The New Trilogy... :O
    "a good leader can make an okay group great..."
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    If it's going to be Oculus Rift it's going to be PC, and if it's PC, Rogue Squadron is a child's game compared to the legitimate flight sims Lucasarts used to make. I mean, nothing against Rogue Squadron, but it's not exactly TIE Fighter.

Oh tie fighter. I remember in my youth having that thing on like twenty floppy disks and a photocopy of the last remainiing pages of the manual to get around the6 copy protection.

Make that game again. Except with less of that one mission with a Mon calamari cruiser and millions of mines

steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm willing to withhold judgement until I see a final product, but my expectations are...low.
    steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    I thought the Star Trek movies were shit until the Abrams film came out. I did enjoy watching TNG with my brother after school, though. I have faith in an Abrams Star Wars film, it certainly can't be worse than episodes I & II.

Also, another great game idea: Mercenaries, but with Star Wars! Seriously, hit me up, EA. I got nothin going on.

Though, they did flush Pandemic a while ago I guess...
    We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos "You smell...different" Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I thought the Star Trek movies were shit until the Abrams film came out. I did enjoy watching TNG with my brother after school, though. I have faith in an Abrams Star Wars film, it certainly can't be worse than episodes I & II.

Also, another great game idea: Mercenaries, but with Star Wars! Seriously, hit me up, EA. I got nothin going on.

Though, they did flush Pandemic a while ago I guess...
    I got no problem with Disney grabbing Star Wars or Abrams directing the sequels.

With a better director and a guy like Micheal Arndt writing the script, it's going to be hard for Episode VII not to be a massive improvement over the Phantom Menace.
    Dr. Chaos on
    Ab3HW.png
    BW2-FC: 0562-4613-0146
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I just want to see some good Clone Wars Era games. Maybe continue the Ahsoka storyline from the series, since they decided to cancel it.
    I can't believe that show made me care about Ashoka! :oops:
    kyrcl.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos "You smell...different" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I just want to see some good Clone Wars Era games. Maybe continue the Ahsoka storyline from the series, since they decided to cancel it.
    Dave Filoni was teasing some designs for a new Star Wars cartoon, chances are you might see her again in that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/dave-filoni-teases-the-next-star-wars-animated-series-we-think

TIE fighter!
    Ab3HW.png
    BW2-FC: 0562-4613-0146
  • SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular

Pretty much this. I'm scared to death that EA will cut off access to every decent game I would conceivably have on Origin if I, say, seek a refund for an obviously broken and will never be fixed game release by EA in a quick cash grab.

I guess maybe I should grab a next gen console. Hopefully they can't tie Origin into it.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    1) Mirror's Edge anything is never going to happen. The game sold terribly and EA isn't going to let DICE do it again, no matter how much they want to.

2) DICE is obviously going to make some kind of Star Wars online multiplayer shooter. It probably won't be out for 2+ years. The single-player story will be terrible, but the multiplayer will be fun and very pretty graphically.

3) KOTOR 3 isn't going to happen. The Bioware part is "they aren't going to pull the license for TOR, thank God".

4) Visceral will make something that people may or may not like. I don't care about Dead Space, so whatever.

5) When the new movies start up, there will be tons of shitty tie-in games from EA's C-tier studios. People will be blame EA that these games suck, but they would have sucked no matter who did them.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Orange butt cheeks.
    bzbhM.jpg
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    5) When the new movies start up, there will be tons of shitty tie-in games from EA's C-tier studios. People will be blame EA that these games suck, but they would have sucked no matter who did them.

Those will be for mobile devices, and developed in-house by Disney.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Orange butt cheeks.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.
    kyrcl.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So much origin hate am I the only one who has never had an issue on origin ? I put in game code and download game just like steam. I dunno how you guys are getting so many problems with it. I do agree their customer service reps are pants on head retarded though.
    Elimination on
    steam_sig.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
    edited May 2013
    I tell ya, as a fan since '77 (check the icon), this whole Disney-acquisition thing has been one endless round of "the frogurt is also cursed." Case in point: new movies! ah, but we're giving them to JJ "moar lens flare" Abrams, just as soon as he finishes #$%*ing up the other big sci-fi franchise of my youth (check the sig). Greeeeaaat. And now:

"There will be more SW games! But not from LucasArts; we finally took that label behind the barn and put it down. But other respected studios will take up the task! All of them owned by EA. But new games! All of them probably only available on EA's crappy Steam knockoff named for a once-awesome company that they killed years ago."

Star Trek was pretty much ass for years and years. Yeah, Abrams really jammed the action-factor way up there, but he made a more entertaining Trek-related event since... forever. But considering how Disney has let the Marvel stuff be handled (they let Joss Whedon handle Avengers, even after standard broadcast companies spent ages kicking him around for idea they didn't like) in terms of quality, I have a much more optimistic view towards Disney handling Star Wars than if Lucas had held on to it.

Unfortunately, they went and passed it off to EA, so pretty slim chance of anything but big-budget AAA attempts from now on, with loads more of "we have to lay off five thousand people because they all did a great job on this game, but it didn't sell 12 million copies and we have to shift the blame somewhere".

Pretty much this. I'm scared to death that EA will cut off access to every decent game I would conceivably have on Origin if I, say, seek a refund for an obviously broken and will never be fixed game release by EA in a quick cash grab.

I guess maybe I should grab a next gen console. Hopefully they can't tie Origin into it.

There are no indications right now of ANY sort of ability for EA to exert draconian control over the next Xbox, at least (and likely the PS4 as well), and Microsoft has now confirmed that being offline won't affect your singleplayer access at all. So yeah, next-gen console is probably the best bet to avoid shitty Origin.
    Ninja Snarl P on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    I know whenever I'm trying to stop discussing something, I make a paragraph long post about the thing I want to stop discussing!

Anyhoozits.

I really want a Dishonored style bounty hunter game.
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • NamrokNamrok Herndon, VARegistered User regular

You and me both. I've been going back and spinning up some of the older Star Wars game. Playing through the original Dark Forces lately. There was just something magical about them. They had the same title scroll as the movies. The same opening music. They even nailed the transitional music from the title scroll to panning over a planet. Sound effects were liberally lifted straight from the movies. There was just this attention to detail with respect to nailing all the little things that made something Star Wars. Lucas Arts just had an amazing run in the 90's when the expanded universe was hot.

But absolutely nothing since has appealed to me. They may have been great, immaculately produced games, but they weren't Star Wars to me. And I suspect, even if EA didn't crap up new titles with DLC, always online DRM, Origin, and half broken yearly installments, they still wouldn't be Star Wars to me. The fact that they are likely to be mediocre games at best, surrounded by downright hostile consumer practices, is sort of incidental. If they felt like Star Wars, the way X-Wing and Dark Forces did, I'd probably be all over them. Origin and always online DRM be damned.
    There are no indications right now of ANY sort of ability for EA to exert draconian control over the next Xbox, at least (and likely the PS4 as well), and Microsoft has now confirmed that being offline won't affect your singleplayer access at all. So yeah, next-gen console is probably the best bet to avoid shitty Origin.

I have read before or am under-the-impression-that companies like EA, Ubisoft, etc are really pushing for allowance to use their own digital stores on consoles.

Or maybe this was just a Nintendo thing. I don't remember. But thanks for the update.
  • KadokenKadoken Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm sure Bioware are about to spend the next 6 years making Mass Effect reskinned into Star Wars.

And uhh, I think I'm okay with that.

Replace "Reapers" with "Yuzhan Vong" and I would buy.
    Kadoken on
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Well, looks like another 10 years of Star Wars games I won't be buying.

Origin + EA Meddling with Developers + "We don't make single player games" = Nope.
    Can you have multiple Origin accounts? Just make a new one for each new game, that way if EA rips you off and bans you from the service it's just the one account. :P
    Priest wrote: »
    Well, looks like another 10 years of Star Wars games I won't be buying.

Origin + EA Meddling with Developers + "We don't make single player games" = Nope.

That's curious.

I've played an awful lot of single player EA games. But optional multiplayer, like masturbation and cheap store brand soda is what paves the road to hell.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.