Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

EA - Your Exclusive Publisher of a Galaxy Far Far Away

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    That's why I find it best to mostly stay on these boards, we usually have at least a semi reasonable response to things.

Anyway in an ideal world EA would take the concept of that awesome Prey 2 trailer, make it Coruscant and use a brand new playable character that won't be in anything else.
    Steam: Dr. Mark Sloan - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mere_immortal - 3DS: 0748-1545-6684
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really wish Prey 2 was uncancelled. That game had a helluva lot of potential.

That said, if Imperial Commando got made I would die a happy clone.
    CaptainNemo on
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User, Soft Launch Tester regular
    Oh good, now that EA's on the case, we might get a new X-Wing versus Tie Fighter, or another Star Wars game that isn't an FPS or RPG.

Shut up. Stop laughing. Stop laughing at me. :(
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon with XWings oh glob that would be sweet as hell.
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Return to a Galaxy Far Far Aw-

You have lost connection to the server.

On a more serious note, would love another Bioware SP rpg. Just a shame that Raven software is owned by Activision. Even more of a shame is the fact it'll no doubt be Origin-exclusive.
    steam_sig.png
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Return to a Galaxy Far Far Aw-

You have lost connection I the server.

On a more serious note, would love another Bioware SP rpg. Just a shame that Raven software is owned by Activision. Even more of a shame is the fact it'll no doubt be Origin-exclusive.
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Never really got the hate some people have for EA.

Voted worst company in America?

Over motherfucking BP and Exxon?

Hey, BP and Exxon may have polluted thousands of miles and killed millions of creatures, and Bank of America may have taken my home & land. But the ending to Mass Effect 3 and the fact that Dead Space 3 isn't scary is just unforgivable. Oh and Origin isn't Steam! OH MY GOD THE CRIMES EA COMMITS DAILY!

Anyway, DICE is going to have to choose between Battlefield 2143 or Battlefront 3. Either case someone is going to be pissed off that they're "wasting time" making one over the other.
    Mr.Sunshine on
    Mr_Sunshine1079.png
    We have literal mercenary groups operating on tax payer money but man Dead Space 3....
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Pretty ok with this news. I think I could live with a Battlefront game on the Frostbite engine
    We have literal mercenary groups operating on tax payer money but man Dead Space 3....

Man did you see that Simcity release? EA is literally the devil.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    Remember that month when we were all really hopeful that Disney buying Star Wars wasn't going to end in a mindless cash grab?

yeah...
    bzbhM.jpg
    Even the Devil at least can be avoided via repentance.

Whilst there is no avoiding the wickedness of EA.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the Star Wars and Madden crossover. It will be truly epic.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I can't wait for the Star Wars and Madden crossover. It will be truly epic.

It'll be those retarded football robots from Episode 2.
    bzbhM.jpg
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User, Soft Launch Tester regular
    May the Origin be with you, always.
  • AxenAxen Registered User regular
    EA is where dreams go to die.

I'm sure EA will do up several different games in the Star Wars universe and then whichever one makes the most money will be bled until an empty husk remains. Then the process shall be repeated.

All hail EA! All hail the Cash Cow!
    ZIWDYHM.png
    oh man maybe we'll get another Republic Comma-pffffffffftahahaha
    Now I'm sad :(
    HeraldS wrote: »

Hey, BP and Exxon may have polluted thousands of miles and killed millions of creatures, and Bank of America may have taken my home & land. But the ending to Mass Effect 3 and the fact that Dead Space 3 isn't scary is just unforgivable. Oh and Origin isn't Steam! OH MY GOD THE CRIMES EA COMMITS DAILY!

Anyway, DICE is going to have to choose between Battlefield 2143 or Battlefront 3. Either case someone is going to be pissed off that they're "wasting time" making one over the other.

EA was voted worst company through consumerist.com, a website based around consumer issues. Exxon, BP, and Blackwater/ XE aren't companies that you would call consumer-based in the manner you would EA. Hence why none of them were up for the award. But you guys are right, facts shouldn't stand in the way of angsty posts on an internet messageboard. Continue with the manufactured outrage stemming from a lack of reading comprehension.

You buy gas from BP and Exxon. You are a consumer of their gas.

They killed millions of sea creatures and poisoned miles of land but man EA published some bad video games fuck that noise.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • finnithfinnith Registered User regular

EA was voted worst company through consumerist.com, a website based around consumer issues. Exxon, BP, and Blackwater/ XE aren't companies that you would call consumer-based in the manner you would EA. Hence why none of them were up for the award. But you guys are right, facts shouldn't stand in the way of angsty posts on an internet messageboard. Continue with the manufactured outrage stemming from a lack of reading comprehension.

I'll admit XE, but BP and Exxon are definitely consumer-facing companies, as they both operate gasoline stations in and around the United States, as well as some other countries.
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    finnith wrote: »

I'll admit XE, but BP and Exxon are definitely consumer-facing companies, as they both operate gasoline stations in and around the United States, as well as some other countries.
    For what it's worth, I suppose if you look at it as "how good does a company do in performing its function" instead of how much harm they did, EA managed to ruin tons of long term successful products and couldn't get Sim City to function at all for the first week or however long.

BP and the rest did horrible things that outweigh EA's evils on most scales, but by and large, most people who did their banking with Bank of America were in fact able to bank, and those who paid for gas at the gas pump got gas. That propelled their vehicle. Successfully. Unlike F2P, yet $60 Dead Space 3 and Sim City and other such mess ups that EA did that negatively affected all of their customers.

Edit: Also, yes, a KOTOR III would be totally rad. Even *if* they were repeat the same ending mistake as in Mass Effect 3, well, at least there's precedent in Star Wars for ghosts randomly dispensing advice to the protagonist at convenient times.

Darlan on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Maybe this could be the Star Wars video game thread instead of the business ethics thread. Like, can we talk about whether we'd prefer a Battlefield Star Wars game or a Mirror's Edge Bounty Hunter game from DICE?
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Since Prey 2 is dead iirc, take that mix some Mirror's Edge free running in there and slap some Star Wars artwork on it
    101 on
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I totally agree with what everybody is saying about how ridiculous it is to actually accuse EA of being the worst company in the world, but strictly as a consumer I have a way better experience purchasing products from BP and Exxon than I do EA. Sure, BP has taken part in the literal destruction of the planet, but the experience of purchasing gasoline from them is super smooth and convenient for me, as a consumer. But yes, obviously EA isn't really that "bad" in the scheme of things, but they have a ton of high profile anti-consumer practices, so they got some votes.

Anyway. Star Wars. Cautiously optimistic, as always!
    steam_sig.png
    Mostly, I just really want a Battlefront 3. If I can just get that, I will be happy as a clam at high tide.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.

Oh I comprehend completely, doesn't stop it from being absolutely fucking retarded.
    For what it's worth, I suppose if you look at it as "how good does a company do in performing its function" instead of how much harm they did, EA managed to ruin tons of long term successful products and couldn't get Sim City to function at all for the first week or however long.

Since you put it that way, BP & Exxon did a pretty good job of delivering crude oil to its customers via thousands of miles of coastline.
    Mr_Sunshine1079.png
    edited May 2013
    Maybe this could be the Star Wars video game thread instead of the business ethics thread. Like, can we talk about whether we'd prefer a Battlefield Star Wars game or a Mirror's Edge Bounty Hunter game from DICE?

Like I said before, DICE is going to be stuck having to choose between Battlefront 3 or Battlefield 2143 and Mirrors Edge 2 or Star Wars Bounty Hunter Super Fun Times.

Good, horrible times.
    Mr.Sunshine on
    Mr_Sunshine1079.png
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

BP and Exxon sell gas as a byproduct of their main venture, which is to find and extract petroleum from beneath the surface of the Earth. Their fuckups with extraction and shipping don't affect their interactions with you as a consumer at the point of sale, which is the type of shit consumerist.com cares about. Which is why they weren't an option. And the award being based on an online poll makes it much less likely that someone like BofA would win in a year like this where EA is fucking up left and right. BofA did win two years ago apparently, so there is that at least.
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about this. I am wondering if we will start seeing a good variety of great star wars games again, or is all they will do make Call of Duty clones using Star Wars to hide the fact game is utterly soulless?
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I'm not so sure a CoD clone series in the Star Wars universe is a bad thing.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    Aside from the possibility of EA doing something shitty and repetitive with Star Wars, the only definite, major problem I have is that EA will insist on sticking everything on their horrifically-poor Origin service, which essentially means I will never be touching any of them. EA has proven time and again that it simply cannot handle online distribution responsibly, and it's just not worth my dollars to have to put up with their bullshit. I even really like the idea of a Battlefront 3 with DICE at the helm, but having it on Origin is automatically a fatal blow, which is naturally where it would end up.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    A lot of you dudes love you some pessimism... The studios reportedly included in the deal have excellent track records when it comes to making games. Chances are pretty good we'll be getting some cool ass Star Wars games.

As far as DICE goes, I'd like to see Battlefront 3. Third person action with that sweet frostbite engine. Also with a singleplayer campaign with a humorous Bad Company like feel about it.

I have a ton of games id like to see. EA should probably just hire me on to get the ball rolling with these studios. :3
    We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    "Tonight on CNN: EA's Origin, Literally Hitler?"
    Need for Speed: Pod Racing could be a thing.

That pod racing game was pretty much the only good thing to come from the Prequels.
    Mr_Sunshine1079.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Need for Speed: Pod Racing could be a thing.

That pod racing game was pretty much the only good thing to come from the Prequels.
    That and Republic Commando.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Disney had to get a development deal done quickly as they need games to be coming out before the new movies start rolling out. With the first new movie due in 2015 that leaves them with less than 2 years to get the first AAA games out the door. With EA using the Frostbite engine in everything, they should be at least able to have a new Battlefront out by then.
    steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    "Tonight on CNN: EA's Origin, Literally Hitler?"

Considering that, at this very moment, I am locked out of my Origin account because EA is so horrendously shitty that a) they couldn't figure out how to keep the password system working right and b) couldn't keep the fucking password reset system working right, yeah, Origin really is That Bad. Almost a decade of Steam and I've never had this problem, not once. And I've been locked out for more than a week, because I don't have time to sit on the phone for the hours doing repetitive shit before EA can figure out they screwed up, not me. And this is after already spending hours on the phone getting to the point of getting special assistance instead of support-line "turn it off and on again"-style help regarding passwords.

Origin really is a pretty rancid and unnecessary piece of garbage.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
    Still, you'd have to be hella silly to think they were the worst company in America.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos "You smell...different" Registered User regular
    Whatever you do, just don't let the Dragon Age 2 guys have KOTOR 3.
    Ab3HW.png
    BW2-FC: 0562-4613-0146
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush On the edge. Making a run for it.Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote: »
    I just realized that this will probably put more on DICE's plate and that keeps them from making another ME so that's bad.

This was my main thought as well. A decade of DICE releases has meant almost nothing but Battlefield, which they will work on in perpetuity, and now they're probably going to be iterating Star Wars titles "for years to come" as well.
    X2F2N.jpg