Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Iron Thread 3: Out Now! [Iron Man 3] (Use SPOILER Tags!)

• PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    You know,
    when the prototype suits where buried underneath the rubble it probably interfered with Tony's ability to communicate with them. I know from personal experience that half a meter of concrete really messes up my Wi-Fi. With the rest of the house destroyed, I suspect the entire garage was a no bars dead zone until they cleared the rubble. I interpreted Jarvis telling Tony that they had cleared rubble from the entrance as Jarvis re-establishing contact with the prototypes.

Its fairly obvious when you think about it and I am surprised that people keep harping on it as much as they do.
    You got a Hulkbuster suit and a suit that can dig. Big Whoop. If you can't remotely activate them, they are as useful as inflatable hammer.

You would think people would accept that occasionally your phone call goes to voice mail.
    Sorry, still doesn't track. Why didn't Tony use them during the attack? While he was without a suit and scrambling to survive, why didn't he just activate the suits then? Again, it's the EXACT situation he was trying to plan for. To me, when you think about it, it becomes obvious that the ending was added much later by someone who wanted to see a bunch of IM suits fighting.

Bad writing is still bad writing, no matter how much I like the subject material and, just like Michael Bay films, I will not give it a pass just because it has cool explosions and mechanized main characters.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
    1. We weren't given much information on their lives prior to Extremis (aside from being wounded military veterans) or post. Why did the majority join AIM and become Killian's one of most trusted groups? Fuck if I know. We only got a few Extremis examples. Savin and Brandt were 100% loyal to Killian, both weren't given much depth especially Brandt. There was the veteran who exploded accidentally - we were given no backstory on him he was there strictly to show a Mandarin "terrorist attack" and hospitalize Happy. Then there's the dozens of Extremis soldiers at Killian's command on the dock. Pure cannon-fodder. Evil henchmen one and all. That's a lot of people Killian recruited. Must have been a great speech to get them onboard. To bad we don't see it or discuss it.

2. Possible, but that's speculation. We don't know what any of them thought of the government.

Its true that being a veteran doesn't make a person good or evil but people react differently. We don't know any circumstances that they came from other than they were from the military and they were maimed on duty. You'd think a few would be freaking out about seeing one of their own blown up during the experimenting phase. If they didn't like what the government did to them after being maimed why would they join a psycho who blew up their colleagues like a mad scientist? Did AIM murder any who tried to leak what happened to the government? Was it fear or blackmail to keep getting injections to keep them stable into keeping their mouths shut? There were numerous directions to take with that and Black did nothing.
    They did it for the same reason anyone does. Their own greed. Blackwater finds plenty of people willing to do horrible stuff for money alone so I have no doubt AIM would have trouble finding people to do horrible stuff for both money and an extreme amount of power.

And they weren't recruited from the military. The military would have already separated them. People who stay in after losing limbs are the exception, not the rule.
    Greed as a motive is speculation. Unless there's a scene I don't remember from the movie revealing why the Extremis soldiers joined AIM. I don't recall them confirming anyone but wounded veterans being used for Extremis. If they did the movie never showed or implied it. Blackwater is a poor analog. The black ops. activities the Extremis soldiers were doing are closer to a terrorist organization, not mercenaries for the US government.

You know what I mean when I said they recruited from wounded veterans. We have no idea how high the proportion was for recruits they got from the Extremis experiments. That'd involve the movie establishing facts, which was sadly not as much of a priority to the film-makers compared to themes.
    And like Jeffe said they don't need a reason beyond any of the other goons. You don't care why the guys in suits were working security this bad. But for some reason because these ones have slightly more back story you're insisting they need to have a reason explained to you.
    Yes, they do. These aren't ordinary goons here that's why it needed more explanation. We weren't even given the slightest excuse by any of the Extremis soldiers - a missed opportunity with Savin and Brandt. So far all I've gotten was speculation, which the movie doesn't back up in any way.

Its obvious the people guarding Slattery were hired thugs, not given all the details to Killian's plans and not appearing in the movie very long. Extremis soldiers were the opposite, that's why they needed greater depth. It needn't have been detailed or specific but they needed some explanation for joining KIllian's world domination scheme.
    Harry Dresden on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    An army of
    Human Torch/Wolverines
    is kind of a big deal.
    Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
    1. We weren't given much information on their lives prior to Extremis (aside from being wounded military veterans) or post. Why did the majority join AIM and become Killian's one of most trusted groups? Fuck if I know. We only got a few Extremis examples. Savin and Brandt were 100% loyal to Killian, both weren't given much depth especially Brandt. There was the veteran who exploded accidentally - we were given no backstory on him he was there strictly to show a Mandarin "terrorist attack" and hospitalize Happy. Then there's the dozens of Extremis soldiers at Killian's command on the dock. Pure cannon-fodder. Evil henchmen one and all. That's a lot of people Killian recruited. Must have been a great speech to get them onboard. To bad we don't see it or discuss it.

2. Possible, but that's speculation. We don't know what any of them thought of the government.

Its true that being a veteran doesn't make a person good or evil but people react differently. We don't know any circumstances that they came from other than they were from the military and they were maimed on duty. You'd think a few would be freaking out about seeing one of their own blown up during the experimenting phase. If they didn't like what the government did to them after being maimed why would they join a psycho who blew up their colleagues like a mad scientist? Did AIM murder any who tried to leak what happened to the government? Was it fear or blackmail to keep getting injections to keep them stable into keeping their mouths shut? There were numerous directions to take with that and Black did nothing.
    They did it for the same reason anyone does. Their own greed. Blackwater finds plenty of people willing to do horrible stuff for money alone so I have no doubt AIM would have trouble finding people to do horrible stuff for both money and an extreme amount of power.

And they weren't recruited from the military. The military would have already separated them. People who stay in after losing limbs are the exception, not the rule.
    Greed as a motive is speculation. Unless there's a scene I don't remember from the movie revealing why the Extremis soldiers joined AIM. I don't recall them confirming anyone but wounded veterans being used for Extremis. If they did the movie never showed or implied it. Blackwater is a poor analog. The black ops. activities the Extremis soldiers were doing are closer to a terrorist organization, not mercenaries for the US government.

You know what I mean when I said they recruited from wounded veterans. We have no idea how high the proportion was for recruits they got from the Extremis experiments. That'd involve the movie establishing facts, which was sadly not as much of a priority to the film-makers compared to themes.
    And like Jeffe said they don't need a reason beyond any of the other goons. You don't care why the guys in suits were working security this bad. But for some reason because these ones have slightly more back story you're insisting they need to have a reason explained to you.
    Yes, they do. These aren't ordinary goons here that's why it needed more explanation. We weren't even given the slightest excuse by any of the Extremis soldiers - a missed opportunity with Savin and Brandt. So far all I've gotten was speculation, which the movie doesn't back up in any way.

Its obvious the people guarding Slattery were hired thugs, not given all the details to Killian's plans and not appearing in the movie very long. Extremis soldiers were the opposite, that's why they needed greater depth. It needn't have been detailed or specific but they needed some explanation for joining KIllian's world domination scheme.
    Okay I hate to break this to you

But most of the military isn't somehow better than hired thugs.

I read through an IRC chat today where a high percentage of coworkers bitched about The Fed being out of gold.

Adding that they're military doesn't somehow make them an exception from jackass #7 who's working for the villain.
    Quid on

Wow. Stay classy @Quid.
    kyrcl.png
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Quid is speaking from experience here.
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    And I'll back him up.

Seen many Squids and Jarheads that I really questioned their reasons for joining.

Hell, several guys from my own command were caught doing a drive-by.

The Kitty Hawk had a gang problem for a few years (Crips/Bloods throwing down in the main engineering spaces). Chiefs (E-7s) supervising meth labs.

Same as anywhere else.
    Just the military likes to loudly proclaim when they caught someone screwing up.
    newSig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Wow. Stay classy Quid.

Sorry but the only difference for a lot is the name. Service members aren't some special breed of people. Most are in it for the paycheck.

Hell if any movie ever went in to the back stories of henchmen more than a few would probably be prior military.
    Quid on
    iguanacus wrote: »

Only if he knew everyone in the military, which I doubt.
    Sorry but the only difference for a lot is the name. Service members aren't some special breed of people. Most are in it for the paycheck.

Of course they all aren't all shining paragons. "Most of [group X] is [quality Y]" is too sweeping a generalization for any group. I could just as easily say "most forum posters are mouth-breathing basement dwellers." It still wouldn't make it true.
    kyrcl.png
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    But it is.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2013
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    iguanacus wrote: »

Only if he knew everyone in the military, which I doubt.

Of course they all aren't all shining paragons. "Most of [group X] is [quality Y]" is too sweeping a generalization for any group. I could just as easily say "most forum posters are mouth-breathing basement dwellers." It still wouldn't make it true.

This is a retarded tangent that is going to end now! Thanks!
    ElJeffe on
    Riley: "You're a marsupial!"
    Maddie: "I am not!"
    Maddie: "I am a placental mammal!"
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Doesn't one of the thugs in this movie give up saying "Hey I don't even like working here! These people are weird!"
    Viskod wrote: »
    Doesn't one of the thugs in this movie give up saying "Hey I don't even like working here! These people are weird!"

Those aren't the thugs we've been discussing.

And you've yet to explain why the ones we are needed more motivation than the others.
    edited May 2013

And you've yet to explain why the ones we are needed more motivation than the others.

Actually, I did that at least once.
    Harry Dresden on
    I apologize.

You've yet to give a good explanation.
    You said the suits were just goons but the soldiers weren't. You didn't explain the difference. And the only one I see is that the soldiers had even more to gain from the organization.
    I apologize.

You said the suits were just goons but the soldiers weren't. You didn't explain the difference. And the only one I see is that the soldiers had even more to gain from the organization.
    The thugs guarding Slattery didn't appear to know what was going on or be as dedicated to the cause as the Extremis troops were. That guard who gave up and told Stark he thought the staff were weird was a great example by explaining their motivation or at least what his was. That was not only a funny moment but impressive characterization. Something which Savin and Brandt lacked IMO.

I've explained in a previous post and I'll repeat - the Extremis soldiers on AIM's payroll weren't normal thugs by any stretch. Not just because of their super-powers but how deeply involved and obedient they were to AIM/Killian's goals, which were doing more than guarding an actor.
    I apologize.

The thugs guarding Slattery didn't appear to know what was going on or be as dedicated to the cause as the Extremis troops were. That guard who gave up and told Stark he thought the staff were weird was a great example by explaining their motivation or at least what his was. That was not only a funny moment but impressive characterization. Something which Savin and Brandt lacked IMO.

I've explained in a previous post and I'll repeat - the Extremis soldiers on AIM's payroll weren't normal thugs by any stretch. Not just because of their super-powers but how deeply involved and obedient they were to AIM/Killian's goals, which were doing more than guarding an actor.
    When you throw your hat in to the assisting global conspiracy ring you tend to take it very seriously. Finding a couple dozen people to do so in exchange for both immense personal as well as societal power isn't hard. And seeing it about to be taken away is a good motivator too.
    I apologize.

When you throw your hat in to the assisting global conspiracy ring you tend to take it very seriously. Finding a couple dozen people to do so in exchange for both immense personal as well as societal power isn't hard. And seeing it about to be taken away is a good motivator too.
    That's motivation I have never even seen hinted by of the Extremis troops. They were serious, of course. I didn't recall any explanation they did it because someone, like Stark, was going to take it away. That is a logical motivation.
    That's motivation I have never even seen hinted by of the Extremis troops. They were serious, of course. I didn't recall any explanation they did it because someone, like Stark, was going to take it away. That is a logical motivation.
    Stark and Rhodes sneaked on to the site where the president was to be executed and started shooting at them once they were spotted.

No one needs it explained that the soldiers realize these two men are there to fuck up their plans.
    So Harry, honestly, when you watched this movie, were you thinking: "Why are these guys fighting?! I have no idea why they would possibly be fighting when their lives might be in danger!" Like, were you legitimately confused when this showed up? Or is this something you came up with after the film was over? Moreover, were you enjoying the movie up to that point, and then were suddenly pulled out by the arbitrary nature of their allegiance? Or were you already kind of picking out annoyances by that point?
    Like, if someone starts shooting at me, I don't even need a promise of semi world domination.

I'm gonna hop my super powered ass over there and start wailing on them.
    edited May 2013
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So Harry, honestly, when you watched this movie, were you thinking: "Why are these guys fighting?! I have no idea why they would possibly be fighting when their lives might be in danger!" Like, were you legitimately confused when this showed up? Or is this something you came up with after the film was over? Moreover, were you enjoying the movie up to that point, and then were suddenly pulled out by the arbitrary nature of their allegiance? Or were you already kind of picking out annoyances by that point?

It was both. I enjoyed the movie but I found the lack of characterization noticeable from the
    Extremis soldiers.
    The reason I care about the details was that I really liked Savin and Brandt, yet they gave me little to care about or information on who they were to really get invested in their safety. The movie's flaws appeared more the longer I examined it afterward. It's a decent movie but not enough to forgive or gloss over the flaws. Black isn't Spielberg, he's not even Whedon - and Whedon isn't this sloppy with his scripts. The "annoyances" don't stay only annoyances when they increase in number and depth the more I think about it.
    Harry Dresden on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

It was both. I enjoyed the movie but I found the lack of characterization noticeable from the
    Extremis soldiers.
    The reason I care about the details was that I really liked Savin and Brandt, yet they gave me little to care about or information on who they were to really get invested in their safety. The movie's flaws appeared more the longer I examined it afterward. It's a decent movie but not enough to forgive or gloss over the flaws. Black isn't Spielberg, he's not even Whedon - and Whedon isn't this sloppy with his scripts. The "annoyances" don't stay only annoyances when they increase in number and depth the more I think about it.

That's just it, the whole
    Manadarin twist felt like a sloppy last minute rewrite. Think of all the things the group did, and what the extremis soldiers were doing. Taking credit for mass killings, launching helicopter attacks on Tony Stark, hatching an elaborate scheme to kidnap Iron Patriot and eventually the President in order to execute him. These are all the hallmarks of people fighting for either revenge or ideology. It's fanaticism. But then we learn that the Mandarin didn't exist, and never existed. So two possibilities exist: either the extremis guys knew about it, or they didn't. If they didn't know it was a hoax, and in fact thought it was real, why would a fairly significant number of people who are almost all presented as American amputees turn to terrorism and extremism? It can be inferred that 100% of the people in the program either converted to this cause or blew up, otherwise I feel like news of a miracle drug that caused a person to regrow their limbs would be pretty much all over the media everywhere once someone leaked it. Regardless this was the choice they took: hey amputee, do you want to take a serum that will restore lost limbs, and give you super strength? The only catch is you have to join a terrorist organization, and help murder the President and fight Iron Man, oh and you might explode killing everyone around you, so don't go home!

The other possibility is that they knew it was a hoax, but that leaves more questions. Why would ex soldier, amputees, with no apparent ideological axe to grind cause some of the most destructive attacks against their home country ever? Do none of them have families or friends? Was it just a happy coincidence that everyone who used the serum thought 'fuck, yeah let's kill the president and control the war on terror, that's totally a reasonable life choice!'

Basically it comes down to context. The context of a fanatic acting like a fanatic for a terrorist organization raises no real questions. The context of a few dozen ex US soldier/amputees agreeing to kill the president, take credit for terrorist attacks, and picking a fight with a dude who just saved the planet from an alien invasion raises a whole lot of questions. Those are some ENORMOUS risks to life, family, and reputation. To throw that away and not attempt to explain it is a pretty glaring flaw.

The regular movie henchman needs no real explanation because there's nothing incredibly unique about their situation. They perhaps have loose morals, but could come from anywhere in the world from any kind of background. It's reasonable that regular henchmen are just hired security and from their perspective are just guarding a mansion (For example). The guys who get limbs regenerated, get super powers, and attempt to kill the president know something's up!

For me, once it got to the end scene the first thing I said was 'wait, why are there so many extremis soldiers? How did they get here and why are they fighting to the death? Where were they before?

But even by itself it's not SO bad really. It's a flaw but tons of these movies have inexplicable flaws. The difference to me is that they're were just so many of them that about 3/4 through the movie I couldn't help but notice every time one happened. And it really hurt immersion while I was watching it.
    Dissociater on
    steam_sig.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 We Good? Registered User regular
    The more I've come to learn about Shane Black's writing style, it becomes readily apparent that there is a large contingent of people who don't appreciate the qualities he can bring to a movie. I'm willing to conceded that there is a valid point in disagreeing with the shift in the overall tone of an established movie series, not unlike, say, how some people might feel about Terminator 3 versus the ones directed by James Cameron.

That said, I find in this case that the criticisms are being leveled at how the plot developments occur in Iron Man 3, and I may even go so far as to say that some people might be mistaking their dissatisfaction with Black's methods as valid criticisms to the overall plot, rather than just being tangled up in their own misconceptions.
    bzbhM.jpg
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The more I've come to learn about Shane Black's writing style, it becomes readily apparent that there is a large contingent of people who don't appreciate the qualities he can bring to a movie. I'm willing to conceded that there is a valid point in disagreeing with the shift in the overall tone of an established movie series, not unlike, say, how some people might feel about Terminator 3 versus the ones directed by James Cameron.

That said, I find in this case that the criticisms are being leveled at how the plot developments occur in Iron Man 3, and I may even go so far as to say that some people might be mistaking their dissatisfaction with Black's methods as valid criticisms to the overall plot, rather than just being tangled up in their own misconceptions.

Or they could just not like the plot of the movie because it's a mess full of loose ends and plot holes.

I tend to lean toward that rather than imagining Black is some genius we all "just don't understand, man."
    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Extremis soldiers.

Okay, fair enough.

Regarding Shane Black, I don't think he's a genius that we don't understand, or anything. I do think that he is a writer and director more concerned with tone and theme than with plot details. If you like what he's doing, you can probably look past it. If you don't like what he's doing, you probably are going to be less forgiving.

FWIW, I don't think he's sloppy at all. I think he's making a conscious decision to go with snappy dialogue and brisk momentum over smaller details, because he probably feels that they don't much matter to the larger picture. I suspect people who are sympathetic to this sort of big-picture mentality are going to like his work, while more detail-oriented folks are going to like it less. I'm in the former category, and I love what he does with dialogue, so I think the dude is fuckin aces.
    edited May 2013

Extremis soldiers.

Okay, fair enough.

Regarding Shane Black, I don't think he's a genius that we don't understand, or anything. I do think that he is a writer and director more concerned with tone and theme than with plot details. If you like what he's doing, you can probably look past it. If you don't like what he's doing, you probably are going to be less forgiving.

FWIW, I don't think he's sloppy at all. I think he's making a conscious decision to go with snappy dialogue and brisk momentum over smaller details, because he probably feels that they don't much matter to the larger picture. I suspect people who are sympathetic to this sort of big-picture mentality are going to like his work, while more detail-oriented folks are going to like it less. I'm in the former category, and I love what he does with dialogue, so I think the dude is fuckin aces.

I can agree with that.
    Harry Dresden on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Same goes for minor plot details, like
    why precisely the suits couldn't get out of the rubble on their own. It isn't like the suits were just standing out in the open and Tony never thought to use them. You want a reason why the suits couldn't respond? The film gave you one: they were buried under a mound of fucking rubble. This was plenty of reason. Yeah, yeah, technically the Mk 23 had a special attachment that could drill up through no less than 15 feet of solid rock and was clearly equipped with a blast shield that would protect it from no, shut up, stop it. The suits could not get out because of rubble. That is all the reason that is needed. And, again, if the film had spent five minutes expositing why the drilling suit didn't work and Jarvis's communications could only go through X feet of solid matter and yadda yadda, these people would just be bitching about other stuff.

Uhhh nope, gonna have to disagree. Let's say we're watching "It's a Wonderful Life". At two points in the movie, having money becomes incredibly important. Let's say at the end of the movie, it is revealed that George has a Savings Bond worth $10,000 that he could presumably cash at any time. That would torpedo the entire plot, in multiple places. Now it's not impossible to have this still be in there, but then you'd have to THOROUGHLY explain that "Oh, he can't afford the taxes if he cashes it at the wrong time and he would lose his house" or "That's a last ditch safety for his dying grandma's medical care, he would NEVER cash it before she died" or whatever. You can't just handwave such a crucially meaningful reveal and how it effects the film as a whole.

Similarly,
    a basement OVERFLOWING with Iron Man suits is a rather shocking reveal in a movie where Tony's main suit frequently 1) cannot fly, 2) has insufficient weapon systems, 3) runs out of power, 4) loses contact with JARVIS, etc. The explanation for why he couldn't use even ONE of these as a backup had better be outstanding AND fully understood by the audience. In fact, it is neither in this case. "Oh umm, I inferred that random house materials trapped them, or alternatively they blocked the signal to turn them on if you don't buy that first explanation. Also, I won't explain why JARVIS acts like he was somehow hurt by a power failure so that he can't help. None of this stuff is ever directly stated." This isn't like in Star Trek (Abrams version) where you might start arguing the physics or whatever. This is basic coherence level plot stuff. "In this movie Iron Man is alone and without his resources." "Why?" "That is not something the movie is interested in explaining actually." :?
    shoeboxjeddy on

shoeboxjeddy.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Infer nothing
    The movie TELLS you they were buried under rubble right before introducing them.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Infer nothing
    The movie TELLS you they were buried under rubble right before introducing them.

Which would be relevant
    if they weren't super powerful robot suits with laser beams that can be controlled remotely. That's where the "explaining the basic plot" part of storytelling comes in. Like maybe JARVIS breaks because Maya launches a cyber attack just prior to the physical, missile based one. That would have erased 90% of the complaints!

shoeboxjeddy.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Infer nothing

Which would be relevant
    if they weren't super powerful robot suits with laser beams that can be controlled remotely. That's where the "explaining the basic plot" part of storytelling comes in. Like maybe JARVIS breaks because Maya launches a cyber attack just prior to the physical, missile based one. That would have erased 90% of the complaints!
    Tony has to be pulled out of a SINGLE LAYER of rubble while wearing a suit; the repulsers and lasers aren't great at moving stuff (See Tony moving/cutting through broken hellicarrier parts in the Avengers) and AGAIN, digging yourself out from under rubble is about a hundred times harder and more dangerous than digging someone out. One collapse and ALL of those suits wind up like Tony did underwater.

And if Maya launched a cyber attack, people would just be bitching about how she's a geneticist, not a hacker; or how Tony's security should be better than that, or whatever specific chain of reality they find dissatisfying.

Point is, the movie gave an explanation as to why he didn't use the suits until then. Apparently it was enough rubble to keep the suits from getting out, because it was enough rubble to keep the suits from getting out. :P
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Attenuation: how does it work?
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Nitpicks aren't necessarily criticisms. It could just a recognition of how the movie should be viewed. It would be like if I pointed out all the plot holes and logical errors in Commando, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the movie since I fully realize that those things don't really matter for that movie. In fact, pointing out how absurd certain movies are can make them more fun to watch.
    KingofMadCows on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I dont understand the complaints about random thug motivation.
    People do horrible things all the time, some for money, some for no reason. Why can't the amputees already be the kind of people that would do whatever for money and the limbs and the near invincibility just be icing on the cake?
    Viskod on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    People do horrible things all the time, some for money, some for no reason. Why can't the amputees already be the kind of people that would do whatever for money and the limbs and the near invincibility just be icing on the cake?
    Theres also the fact that Extremis is addictive
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I would've liked to have seen that whole thing developed a little more.
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

When was that stated in the film? I don't remember it.
    The following sentence is true. The previous sentence was false.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

When was that stated in the film? I don't remember it.

It's implied
    they were pretending to give the guys who blew themselves up doses of the treatment. the one you do see was kind of tweaking out
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381