Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Iron Thread 3: Out Now! [Iron Man 3] (Use SPOILER Tags!)

• FakefauxFakefaux OhioRegistered User regular
    The thing is, the changes to the Mandarin didn't bug me too much because I was never really invested in the Mandarin. I see a few people arguing that he's a great character, aside from the racism issues, but to me the racism issues have only ever been part of the problem.

Mandarin's motivations, that he's descended from Genghis Khan and therefore wants to continue the world domination schemes of the Mongols, are lifted wholesale from one of the old Fu Manchu movies. He's never had a ton of personality beyond sneering arrogance. It's worth noting that in recent years there were two very different attempts to reinvigorate that character, one by Daniel Knauf, the other by Matt Fraction. Knauf tries to portray Mandarin as a misguided extremist in the vein of Ra's al Ghul, while Fraction creates a Kim Jong Il pastiche. Neither one of them can seem to decide on who the character is at his core, and compensate by basically making him into a new character, which I don't think is too different from what IM3 did.

That's always been the issue for Mandarin with me. He's what the Venture Bros. would call a dimestore Dr. Doom, just another meglomaniac villain with delusions of world conquest, overshadowed by better known villains with more interesting characterization. It seems like he only became Tony's archnemesis by default, because he was the best option out of a terrible villain lineup. So, really, as far as I'm concerned, the movies can do whatever they like with him.
    Admittedly, a battle with a Mandarin who has working rings would have been fun to see on the big screen, but I don't really think that "cool powers that would make for a good fight" are reason enough to include the character.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    This movie would have made a lot more sense if Tony Stark had panic attacks from being in the Iron Man suit.
    nah, being in the suit is where he feels safe. (He retreats to it after getting a panic attack in the bar). The plot of the movie is basically him using the suits as an emotional crutch.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    This movie would have made a lot more sense if Tony Stark had panic attacks from being in the Iron Man suit.
    nah, being in the suit is where he feels safe. (He retreats to it after getting a panic attack in the bar). The plot of the movie is basically him using the suits as an emotional crutch.
    The why does he spend 99.9% of the movie out of the suit, stays out of it at any chance he gets and is working his hardest on creating autonomous iron men that he doesn't have to pilot?

That would have made sense if he was afraid of going back in to the suit and explain why he can James Bond around with Canadian Tire gadgets without having a panic attack. Or if there was any character growth or resolution.
    Sig.jpg
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    The why does he spend 99.9% of the movie out of the suit, stays out of it at any chance he gets and is working his hardest on creating autonomous iron men that he doesn't have to pilot?

That would have made sense if he was afraid of going back in to the suit and explain why he can James Bond around with Canadian Tire gadgets without having a panic attack. Or if there was any character growth or resolution.
    Because

1)The suit is mostly broken and if he didn't get out of it he'd be stuck in there permanently.

2) He doesn't want to rely on the suits as an emotional crutch anymore. The suits he did make he made autonomous so that they could fly to him whenever he needed them. When his primary suit gets damaged too heavily to use and the other suits get trapped by rubble he is forced to confront his issues head on, without the comfort of his coping mechanisms.
    edited May 2013
    Aistan wrote: »

Because

1)The suit is mostly broken and if he didn't get out of it he'd be stuck in there permanently.

2) He doesn't want to rely on the suits as an emotional crutch anymore. The suits he did make he made autonomous so that they could fly to him whenever he needed them. When his primary suit gets damaged too heavily to use and the other suits get trapped by rubble he is forced to confront his issues head on, without the comfort of his coping mechanisms.
    those are excuses to support something that thematically did not work well.

He didn't not use a suit because he didn't want it to be a crutch, he didn't use it because it wasn't immediately available to him to be a crutch. He abandons his PTSD on a whim not because he overcomes any emotional hurdles, he just decides "I'm no longer afraid for some reason" and went off to fight bad guys using farming equipment and the spirit of christmas.

On the other hand if he had a fear of being Iron Man again, it would have made sense and the story would have worked both logically and thematically better.

Lastly, Bullshit: Hulk buster and a suit designed specifically for digging were not trapped under a bit of rubble.

edit: so a theater decided it was a good idea to hire some people to dress up at a theater to promote Iron Man:
    gAcRt9l.jpg
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    If they wanted to make a Tony without his Armor movie, why didn't they just make another Sherlock Holmes?
    kyrcl.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod

Because

those are excuses to support something that thematically did not work well.

He didn't not use a suit because he didn't want it to be a crutch, he didn't use it because it wasn't immediately available to him to be a crutch. He abandons his PTSD on a whim not because he overcomes any emotional hurdles, he just decides "I'm no longer afraid for some reason" and went off to fight bad guys using farming equipment and the spirit of christmas.
    The boy reminds him that he's a "mechanic". This causes Stark to remember who he is, and is the first major step towards realizing that he, not the suit, is Iron Man. I mean, it's pretty clearly presented as an epiphany moment. Then he goes out and buys stuff and storms the mansion as Tony Stark, Bad-Ass.
    On the other hand if he had a fear of being Iron Man again, it would have made sense and the story would have worked both logically and thematically better.

Lastly, Bullshit: Hulk buster and a suit designed specifically for digging were not trapped under a bit of rubble.

See: My earlier comments regarding the importance of adhering to theme over adhering to plot details. In a perfect world, maybe there could've been iron-clad adherence to both. If Black had to pick one over the other, though, he made the right choice.

Honestly, if you were on-board with the rest of the movie, a scene like this wouldn't have bothered you at all. You can argue that the film failed earlier and as such you'd already lost interest which made you more susceptible to minor plot quibbles, and maybe you can make a good case from that. But in and of itself, the above item is not a thing that would pull you out of the film unless you were trying to find flaws. Just like the obvious spatial issues pertaining to the T-Rex pen in Jurassic Park are not going to bother you unless the film had already lost you to the point where you were sitting around playing Pick the Nit.

Riley: "You're a marsupial!"
    Maddie: "I am not!"
    Maddie: "I am a placental mammal!"
    My one complaint about the film isn't really even a problem with the film itself, but with my expectations. My kids (5 and 9) have watched the first two films, and enjoyed them. A little violence, a little romance, but nothing really explicit or that I couldn't explain away, and lots of fun superhero antics to keep their attention. I expected 3 to be the same way, and whoops.
    The terrorist videos and the people that kept exploding were too much for them. It was done really well, but was too realistic for them and they were kind of completely fucking horrified, to the point where my wife had to leave with them halfway through. I felt really bad, and had I known what the movie would be like, I wouldn't have brought them, just like no fucking way would I let them watch TDK.
    edited May 2013
    Him resolving a major psychological problem at the start of the second act does not a good script make.

It was not delivered well, and the problem was not addressed or explored(like you know, the obvious Tony Stark alcoholism problem) mostly because he was out of the Iron man suit for the majority of the movie for no good reason.
    Outside of the pub his freakouts weren't even taken seriously, it was played off for jokes and was resolved with equally weak brush off.

In fact, most of it felt like the writer got a great idea, started writing it then got bored ten minutes in and got another great idea and started writing it and then got tired of that an so on until the end credits.
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My one complaint about the film isn't really even a problem with the film itself, but with my expectations. My kids (5 and 9) have watched the first two films, and enjoyed them. A little violence, a little romance, but nothing really explicit or that I couldn't explain away, and lots of fun superhero antics to keep their attention. I expected 3 to be the same way, and whoops.
    The terrorist videos and the people that kept exploding were too much for them. It was done really well, but was too realistic for them and they were kind of completely fucking horrified, to the point where my wife had to leave with them halfway through. I felt really bad, and had I known what the movie would be like, I wouldn't have brought them, just like no fucking way would I let them watch TDK.
    Yeah, and there were a lot of dismemberment/close-up violence that they only got away with because instead of gore you've got crackly lava-people damage. I was shocked a few times, because I was not expecting that sort of thing to show up in a "safe" hero movie.
    Hell, the violence in TDKR was way more sanitized than this. All those people shooting guns and you never see any blood.
    DarkPrimus on
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    @ElJeffe
    i think the big "exception" here is that
    Tony wasn't able to compete with Killian except with his Iron Man suit, or parts of it. Yes, they kept getting destroyed, but what stopped Killian at the end? It was a missile from his suit and Pepper, not Tony. So, like, i get what you are saying but the movie doesn't really support that. When he breaks into the mansion, he can compete with normal guards as Tony, but as soon as he is confronted with Extremis soldier, he NEEDS the suit in order to compete.
    steam_sig.png
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah, and there were a lot of dismemberment/close-up violence that they only got away with because instead of gore you've got crackly lava-people damage. I was shocked a few times, because I was not expecting that sort of thing to show up in a "safe" hero movie.
    Hell, the violence in TDKR was way more sanitized than this. All those people shooting guns and you never see any blood.

I wonder if it's because of the huge number of effects studios working on it. Must be hard to tone down so many scenes when they're all in different countries and all under development for years.
    Sig.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I wonder if it's because of the huge number of effects studios working on it. Must be hard to tone down so many scenes when they're all in different countries and all under development for years.

No? I mean it's down to the MPAA ultimately, but it's also on the director and the studio suits overseeing the film that put in and allowed that stuff to go forward to the MPAA in the first place.
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Him resolving a major psychological problem at the start of the second act does not a good script make.

It was not delivered well, and the problem was not addressed or explored(like you know, the obvious Tony Stark alcoholism problem) mostly because he was out of the Iron man suit for the majority of the movie for no good reason.
    Outside of the pub his freakouts weren't even taken seriously, it was played off for jokes and was resolved with equally weak brush off.

In fact, most of it felt like the writer got a great idea, started writing it then got bored ten minutes in and got another great idea and started writing it and then got tired of that an so on until the end credits.
    Not to mention the fact that he'd been 'building stuff' since the beginning of the movie, and this was a source of very strong contention between he and Pepper, established right at the beginning of the movie. His major psychological problem was solved by being told to do something he was doing since the very beginning of the movie. It kind of stinks of last minute rewrites.

Worse than that for me was that I just did not give a shit about the villain. Either of them. His motivations to me made no sense. I didn't really get why he wanted to replace the president with a puppet. His reason given in the movie was he wanted to control both sides of the war on terror. But to what end? Power? Money? He has these things in spades already. It was villainy for the sake of villainy. It could have worked as a revenge movie I guess, but then I suspect he would have gone to further lengths to hurt Tony like killing Happy in hospital, or murdering Rhodes, or killing pepper instead of injecting her with the immortality super-serum. I didn't get why he had an army of extremis men willing to fight to the death for him. Those were the actions of fanatics, when they were revealed earlier to simply be amputees who were given an untested 'cure'. It was almost as if they wrote in the mandarin twist after writing in everything else. I didn't get simple things, like why they knocked out Rhodes, but this organization filled with fanatic murderers just left him there and didn't kill him. I didn't get how they could broadcast the mandarin's image to the whole world and no one recognized him as an actor.

I liked the kid and his interactions with Tony a lot. RDJ was fantastic as always. I liked the Pepper saves the day ending because it was a bit of an unconventional twist of damsel-in-distress. But there was just too much in the movie that left me shaking my head. It felt just sloppy, or hastily re-written with the hopes the audience wouldn't notice. The audience was left to fill in the gaps too many times.

Just my two cents on it. Overall I found the action to be fun, and the acting to be good, but the weak story and all the minor faults really took away from what could have been a great flick.
    steam_sig.png
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular

Not to mention the fact that he'd been 'building stuff' since the beginning of the movie, and this was a source of very strong contention between he and Pepper, established right at the beginning of the movie. His major psychological problem was solved by being told to do something he was doing since the very beginning of the movie. It kind of stinks of last minute rewrites.

Worse than that for me was that I just did not give a shit about the villain. Either of them. His motivations to me made no sense. I didn't really get why he wanted to replace the president with a puppet. His reason given in the movie was he wanted to control both sides of the war on terror. But to what end? Power? Money? He has these things in spades already. It was villainy for the sake of villainy. It could have worked as a revenge movie I guess, but then I suspect he would have gone to further lengths to hurt Tony like killing Happy in hospital, or murdering Rhodes, or killing pepper instead of injecting her with the immortality super-serum. I didn't get why he had an army of extremis men willing to fight to the death for him. Those were the actions of fanatics, when they were revealed earlier to simply be amputees who were given an untested 'cure'. It was almost as if they wrote in the mandarin twist after writing in everything else. I didn't get simple things, like why they knocked out Rhodes, but this organization filled with fanatic murderers just left him there and didn't kill him. I didn't get how they could broadcast the mandarin's image to the whole world and no one recognized him as an actor.

I liked the kid and his interactions with Tony a lot. RDJ was fantastic as always. I liked the Pepper saves the day ending because it was a bit of an unconventional twist of damsel-in-distress. But there was just too much in the movie that left me shaking my head. It felt just sloppy, or hastily re-written with the hopes the audience wouldn't notice. The audience was left to fill in the gaps too many times.

Just my two cents on it. Overall I found the action to be fun, and the acting to be good, but the weak story and all the minor faults really took away from what could have been a great flick.
    He did say in the film they gave him plastic surgery. I would assume they changed his appearance enough so that no one would recognize him.
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited May 2013

speaking of the Extremes soldiers. I get the guys that were used as human bombs. They didn't know what was going on, and were used. I can also get the Goon and the one armed assassin to an extent. He found a couple of ass holes willing to kill for money. What I don't get is how he got a whole army of these guys?

If they're all Mercs then wouldn't they be a tad hesitant to start using a drug that you're dependent on for the rest of your life and one that has a one in four chances of blowing you up?
    For the same reason, why did the main villain take it?

If they were all War Vets then how do you get them all to go along with a clearly evil scheme of global terrorists? These guys fought and nearly died for their country, you expect them to all just go "oh yeah, sure I'll go along with a plan to kill American soldiers and innocent civilians if you give me a good retirement package". That's just insulting.

If they were being used and held hostage by the fact that they needed the drug then that seems much worse, since they were just victims of this crazy guy that Tony goes and kills.
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

He did say in the film they gave him plastic surgery. I would assume they changed his appearance enough so that no one would recognize him.
    I thought it's just because he's a fucking no-body. Who'd remember some crack head from Hollywood who only did one or two plays?
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg

Re: Tony and the suit
    In what sense do you feel he was out of the suit for "no good reason"?

Plot-wise, the reason was because his army of suits was buried under rubble and the one suit that wasn't buried was an unreliable prototype with power supply issues. Character-wise, he was out of the suit because he needed to learn to cope with his anxiety without the crutch of his fancy tech and limitless finances. Thematically, he was out of the suit because he needed to rediscover that it's not the suit that's Iron Man, it's the man Tony Stark who is Iron Man.

It seemed to be covered from pretty much every angle.

Re: Tony and anxiety
    The film, admittedly, did not take his anxiety disorder super-seriously. It had the one semi-serious scene and then played it off more light-heartedly thereafter. I thought it was handled okay for a film that did not purport to be Serious Business or to be a sober examination of psychological issues. It handled it as seriously as the film demanded, which was kinda-sorta.

Generally speaking, the story was a little manic and fairly kinetic. Sort of like the character of Tony Stark. I could say this was a further example of excellent thematic consistency, but more likely it's a happy accident resulting from Shane Black's writing style. Which is fine with me, because I dig Shane Black's writing style.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero Registered User regular
    he was out of the Iron man suit for the majority of the movie for no good reason.
    His only functional suit of armor was it pretty poor shape and discharged. The rest of his armor was either destroyed in the attack on his home or buried under the rubble from said attack.
    oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / Favicon.ico 0860-3352-3335 / Favicon.ico maximumzer0 / Steampowered_favicon.png MaximumZero / ZxDoVOt.pngAmazon Shop
    edited May 2013
    he was out of the Iron man suit for the majority of the movie for no good reason.
    His only functional suit of armor was it pretty poor shape and discharged. The rest of his armor was either destroyed in the attack on his home or buried under the rubble from said attack.
    Again. How the fuck do you bury Igor under one house? The suit can probably lift Stark Tower if it wanted to. Or that Digging suit for that matter.

Kind of doesn't matter since Tony doesn't even try to call them or any of the other suits that might still be working, he just concedes to stick with gardening tools. Hell he could have just as easily waited a few hours for the suit to charge up (off the battery for some reason rather then his Arc Reactor) in the trunk of his car then he could have called it at any time. Instead it was played off as a goofy last minute surprise.

edit: also the current theory is that he couldn't get them before Jarvis could defrag his Ram Drives or some other BS. Which of course can only be done if the movie is at it's climax.
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg
    itt: We discover that movies are sometimes more convenient than Real Life.
    edited May 2013
    Kind of doesn't matter since Tony doesn't even try to call them or any of the other suits that might still be working, he just concedes to stick with gardening tools.
    Tony contacts Jarvis multiple times throughout the film to ascertain the availability of operation house party, I.E., "Is the rubble moved yet?"
    maximumzero on
    oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / Favicon.ico 0860-3352-3335 / Favicon.ico maximumzer0 / Steampowered_favicon.png MaximumZero / ZxDoVOt.pngAmazon Shop
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    About charging the suit
    Reasonably sure it's not supposed to charge off the arc reactor. If the idea is to separate and fly to encase anyone, not just Tony, then it needs to work independent of his super battery. And since each piece can fly solo, each of those needs it's own power source too.

Maybe it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't at least leave a backup option to quickly charge off his arc, but eh - all his new suits seemed fairly half assed, it's reasonable for him to not consider that he'll be stranded without his workshop to properly charge the new suit up.
    camo_sig2.png
    About charging the suit
    Reasonably sure it's not supposed to charge off the arc reactor. If the idea is to separate and fly to encase anyone, not just Tony, then it needs to work independent of his super battery. And since each piece can fly solo, each of those needs it's own power source too.

Maybe it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't at least leave a backup option to quickly charge off his arc, but eh - all his new suits seemed fairly half assed, it's reasonable for him to not consider that he'll be stranded without his workshop to properly charge the new suit up.
    Keep in mind the Mark 42 was still in the prototype stage, so he may have been planning to add a quick-charge option later on down the line.
    oIi9lub.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    The thing is, the changes to the Mandarin didn't bug me too much because I was never really invested in the Mandarin. I see a few people arguing that he's a great character, aside from the racism issues, but to me the racism issues have only ever been part of the problem.

Mandarin's motivations, that he's descended from Genghis Khan and therefore wants to continue the world domination schemes of the Mongols, are lifted wholesale from one of the old Fu Manchu movies. He's never had a ton of personality beyond sneering arrogance. It's worth noting that in recent years there were two very different attempts to reinvigorate that character, one by Daniel Knauf, the other by Matt Fraction. Knauf tries to portray Mandarin as a misguided extremist in the vein of Ra's al Ghul, while Fraction creates a Kim Jong Il pastiche. Neither one of them can seem to decide on who the character is at his core, and compensate by basically making him into a new character, which I don't think is too different from what IM3 did.

That's always been the issue for Mandarin with me. He's what the Venture Bros. would call a dimestore Dr. Doom, just another meglomaniac villain with delusions of world conquest, overshadowed by better known villains with more interesting characterization. It seems like he only became Tony's archnemesis by default, because he was the best option out of a terrible villain lineup. So, really, as far as I'm concerned, the movies can do whatever they like with him.
    Admittedly, a battle with a Mandarin who has working rings would have been fun to see on the big screen, but I don't really think that "cool powers that would make for a good fight" are reason enough to include the character.

They can update his motivation, you know. Who cares if writers can't decide which version to pick from? That isn't isolated to Mandarin it happens to plenty of characters when writers write them differently. With a media adaption all they need to do is pick the best aspects from the comics (and other media depictions), add elements to make their take unique and dump the rest.

Because

3) Shane Black didn't want him in the suit.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    They could have changed the Mandarin's motivation, yes.
    In fact, they did!
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    speaking of the Extremes soldiers. I get the guys that were used as human bombs. They didn't know what was going on, and were used. I can also get the Goon and the one armed assassin to an extent. He found a couple of ass holes willing to kill for money. What I don't get is how he got a whole army of these guys?

If they're all Mercs then wouldn't they be a tad hesitant to start using a drug that you're dependent on for the rest of your life and one that has a one in four chances of blowing you up?

If they were all War Vets then how do you get them all to go along with a clearly evil scheme of global terrorists? These guys fought and nearly died for their country, you expect them to all just go "oh yeah, sure I'll go along with a plan to kill American soldiers and innocent civilians if you give me a good retirement package". That's just insulting.

If they were being used and held hostage by the fact that they needed the drug then that seems much worse, since they were just victims of this crazy guy that Tony goes and kills.

Re: the Extremis guys
    the ones that blew up did so on accident. Nobody planned for it to happen.

Remember Savin asking guy at the Chinese Theater, "Can you regulate?" He was asking "If I give this to you, you can keep from exploding, right?"

The entire reason for Killian creating the character of "The Mandarin" was so that he could cover his ass with an imaginary scapegoat for these accidents. It's a gamble to prevent anyone from doing any serious investigating, because if someone found out about the very serious ethical concerns of Extremis it would mean a whole lot of trouble for him
    Joolander wrote: »

Remember Savin asking guy at the Chinese Theater, "Can you regulate?" He was asking "If I give this to you, you can keep from exploding, right?"

The entire reason for Killian creating the character of "The Mandarin" was so that he could cover his ass with an imaginary scapegoat for these accidents. It's a gamble to prevent anyone from doing any serious investigating, because if someone found out about the very serious ethical concerns of Extremis it would mean a whole lot of trouble for him
    that's what I just said. Did you forget to read?
    the question is, what about the other thirty guys who chose to betray their country, endanger their lives with a dangerous drug and then fight to the last man for no reason. Even the mansion goons had more sense.
    Sig.jpg
    They weren't fighting to the last man until a few dozen armors showed up out of nowhere and were ordered to kill them all to the last man.

Up until that they were all desperate to have limbs given back to them from a procedure I doubt any of them new much about and found themselves at the top of food chain afterward.

the question is, what about the other thirty guys who chose to betray their country, endanger their lives with a dangerous drug and then fight to the last man for no reason. Even the mansion goons had more sense.
    The mansion goons were hired thugs, not obedient followers to KIllian. Also they weren't made into super-soldiers with a serum that made them more violent.

The mansion goons were hired thugs, not obedient followers to KIllian. Also they weren't made into super-soldiers with a serum that made them more violent.
    so why were they fanatical followers of Killian?

One injection and they go from American veterans that were willing to lay down their lives to protect their country to members of Al Qaeda 2.0?

and it's not like Killian had a great plan, all it was was:
    1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

These guys just seem like victims of mind control that got gunned down by Tony Stark.
    Sig.jpg
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular

One injection and they go from American veterans that were willing to lay down their lives to protect their country to members of Al Qaeda 2.0?

1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

These guys just seem like victims of mind control that got gunned down by Tony Stark.
    Actually, his plan was:

1) Develop Extremis
    2) Sell Extremis
    3) Profit

Now, Extremis was pretty unstable and caused people to explode while he was working in the development phase. This required him to alter his plan slightly.

Phase 2 of the plan then became:

1) Create Mandarin persona
    2) Use Mandarin to take responsibility for any Extremis-related explosions that occur, keeping focus off of AIM
    3) Sell Extremis to both terrorists (through the Mandarin) and governments (through AIM)
    4) Profit

1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

That's a good complaint. At no point in the movie did I see any reason for the Extremis survivors to become Killian/AIM loyalists.
    Harry Dresden on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

That's a good complaint. At no point in the movie did I see any reason for the Extremis survivors to become Killian/AIM loyalists.
    Missed the whole drug addicts analogue part huh?
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

[/quote]

The process seemed volatile enough that they wouldn't want to burn bridges with the people who created it.
    edited May 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
    1. We weren't given much information on their lives prior to Extremis (aside from being wounded military veterans) or post. Why did the majority join AIM and become Killian's one of most trusted groups? Fuck if I know. We only got a few Extremis examples. Savin and Brandt were 100% loyal to Killian, both weren't given much depth especially Brandt. There was the veteran who exploded accidentally - we were given no backstory on him he was there strictly to show a Mandarin "terrorist attack" and hospitalize Happy. Then there's the dozens of Extremis soldiers at Killian's command on the dock. Pure cannon-fodder. Evil henchmen one and all. That's a lot of people Killian recruited. Must have been a great speech to get them onboard. To bad we don't see it or discuss it.

2. Possible, but that's speculation. We don't know what any of them thought of the government.

Its true that being a veteran doesn't make a person good or evil but people react differently. We don't know any circumstances that they came from other than they were from the military and they were maimed on duty. You'd think a few would be freaking out about seeing one of their own blown up during the experimenting phase. If they didn't like what the government did to them after being maimed why would they join a psycho who blew up their colleagues like a mad scientist? Did AIM murder any who tried to leak what happened to the government? Was it fear or blackmail to keep getting injections to keep them stable into keeping their mouths shut? There were numerous directions to take with that and Black did nothing.
    Harry Dresden on