Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Iron Thread 3: Out Now! [Iron Man 3] (Use SPOILER Tags!)

• FakefauxFakefaux OhioRegistered User regular
    They can update his motivation, you know. Who cares if writers can't decide which version to pick from? That isn't isolated to Mandarin it happens to plenty of characters when writers write them differently. With a media adaption all they need to do is pick the best aspects from the comics (and other media depictions), add elements to make their take unique and dump the rest.

As mentioned elsewhere, they did change his motivations, and used the character's history as a racist caricature to play a clever switcheroo. Beyond that, what I'm saying is the Mandarin is not that great of a character to begin with, and therefore I'm not bothered that they changed him so much. I just don't think there was much worth holding onto about the original version.

Heck, aren't you the one who keeps endorsing the cartoon Mandarin, who was a teenager/Chinese Darth Vader? That guy was almost an entirely different character as well.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I would love to see a Marvel One-Shot short on Thor 2's bluray of
    Pepper Potts: Superhero CEO.

Just have her running Stark Industries for the beginning and get kidnapped in the parking lot.

They call Tony for a ransom and he just starts laughing on the phone - cut to red-eyed Pepper who demolishes the car.

I dunno, I think it'd be fun.
    But I thought Tony "Fixed Her" at the end of the film...
    oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / Favicon.ico 0860-3352-3335 / Favicon.ico maximumzer0 / Steampowered_favicon.png MaximumZero / ZxDoVOt.pngAmazon Shop
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The complaints regarding Extremis goons is valid to a point, but it can also be leveled against almost any goons in any action movie ever. There's rarely much explicit reason given for Random Thugs to fight to the death. Just chalk it up to Action Flick Trope, I guess.

Honestly, a lot of these complaints only make sense in the context of someone who just doesn't like action movies. Everyone Else Is Doing It certainly isn't an excuse for using stale tropes, but you have to be willing to grant a little suspension of disbelief, and it seems like some people aren't willing to do that. It's like something happened early on that bugged you, and you went into full-on Find Faults mode.
    Riley: "You're a marsupial!"
    Maddie: "I am not!"
    Riley: "You're a marsupial!"
    Maddie: "I am a placental mammal!"
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    They can update his motivation, you know. Who cares if writers can't decide which version to pick from? That isn't isolated to Mandarin it happens to plenty of characters when writers write them differently. With a media adaption all they need to do is pick the best aspects from the comics (and other media depictions), add elements to make their take unique and dump the rest.

As mentioned elsewhere, they did change his motivations, and used the character's history as a racist caricature to play a clever switcheroo. Beyond that, what I'm saying is the Mandarin is not that great of a character to begin with, and therefore I'm not bothered that they changed him so much. I just don't think there was much worth holding onto about the original version.

They can do more with updating Mandarin than that. What I'm getting at is that they don't need to discard the character entirely like they did. They had the perfect chance and blew it.
    Heck, aren't you the one who keeps endorsing the cartoon Mandarin, who was a teenager/Chinese Darth Vader? That guy was almost an entirely different character as well.

Have you watched the cartoon? He has many things in common with the comics Mandarin.
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The complaints regarding Extremis goons is valid to a point, but it can also be leveled against almost any goons in any action movie ever. There's rarely much explicit reason given for Random Thugs to fight to the death. Just chalk it up to Action Flick Trope, I guess.

Honestly, a lot of these complaints only make sense in the context of someone who just doesn't like action movies. Everyone Else Is Doing It certainly isn't an excuse for using stale tropes, but you have to be willing to grant a little suspension of disbelief, and it seems like some people aren't willing to do that. It's like something happened early on that bugged you, and you went into full-on Find Faults mode.

The problem to me isn't any single issue. I can over look a lot of that stuff in action/super hero movies. It's just that it felt like there were so many to me. None of them individually are dealbreakers. It was like they wrote two different movies and then smushed them together a few days before shooting.
    steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    For the last time, we can't have a Chinese villain any more because China bought Hollywood.

You hear that Gibson? It's not the Jews any more!
    Sig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Except these aren't ordinary minions. They're not cyborg alien drones or hired thugs, they're recruited from the American military itself. By bringing them onboard for AIM and exposing them to dangerous experiments the writer has to account for how they'd be effected and why people would join them. Even if its a basic excuse it has to make sense and account for variables. It also makes them more interesting as characters for the movie. Savin and Brandt were perfect vectors to reveal this stuff, just a few lines will do. Making them a more complex factor in the story would have made it more interesting IMO. Savin himself would have been a great evil counterpart to Stark since they experienced similar events in their lives.

I like action movies, especially super-hero movies. I'm willing to suspend disbelief but I'm not going to give a movie that lets me fill in the blanks a pass for their stories just for it to make sense. Suspense of disbelief does not mean I should forget about the movie making logical sense in-story. The reason tropes are used is they make sense. Subverting something just for the hell of it isn't insightful, especially when it doesn't account for plot holes, makes characters less complex or ignores world building from previous movies. I'm only taking the movie's flaws to their ultimate conclusion.
    Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2013
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    speaking of the Extremes soldiers. I get the guys that were used as human bombs. They didn't know what was going on, and were used. I can also get the Goon and the one armed assassin to an extent. He found a couple of ass holes willing to kill for money. What I don't get is how he got a whole army of these guys?

If they're all Mercs then wouldn't they be a tad hesitant to start using a drug that you're dependent on for the rest of your life and one that has a one in four chances of blowing you up?
    For the same reason, why did the main villain take it?

If they were all War Vets then how do you get them all to go along with a clearly evil scheme of global terrorists? These guys fought and nearly died for their country, you expect them to all just go "oh yeah, sure I'll go along with a plan to kill American soldiers and innocent civilians if you give me a good retirement package". That's just insulting.

If they were being used and held hostage by the fact that they needed the drug then that seems much worse, since they were just victims of this crazy guy that Tony goes and kills.

Re: the Extremis guys
    the ones that blew up did so on accident. Nobody planned for it to happen.

Remember Savin asking guy at the Chinese Theater, "Can you regulate?" He was asking "If I give this to you, you can keep from exploding, right?"

The entire reason for Killian creating the character of "The Mandarin" was so that he could cover his ass with an imaginary scapegoat for these accidents. It's a gamble to prevent anyone from doing any serious investigating, because if someone found out about the very serious ethical concerns of Extremis it would mean a whole lot of trouble for him
    that's what I just said. Did you forget to read?
    the question is, what about the other thirty guys who chose to betray their country, endanger their lives with a dangerous drug and then fight to the last man for no reason. Even the mansion goons had more sense.
    The mansion goons were hired thugs, not obedient followers to KIllian. Also they weren't made into super-soldiers with a serum that made them more violent.
    so why were they fanatical followers of Killian?

One injection and they go from American veterans that were willing to lay down their lives to protect their country to members of Al Qaeda 2.0?

and it's not like Killian had a great plan, all it was was:
    1. create the Mandarin
    2. ?
    3. profit!

These guys just seem like victims of mind control that got gunned down by Tony Stark.
    That's a good complaint. At no point in the movie did I see any reason for the Extremis survivors to become Killian/AIM loyalists.
    Missed the whole drug addicts analogue part huh?
    True. However, they weren't acting like addicts in the movie. Its not like Killian or Savin were going into withdraws whenever it was time to take another "hit." Them being drug addicts doesn't mean they're all going to sign onto any crazy scheme they find themselves tied to. It also goes back to blackmail. If they were refusing to play along AIM could have used the drugs for leverage but we never saw a hint of that. I'd have welcomed that. It'd have them more human and given more depth to their relationship with AIM. Which is more than the movie did.

Harry Dresden on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Pepper Epilogue:
    Tony "fixed" her, but there's no information on how he fixed her. He might've completely eliminated any trace of Extremis from her, but he might've just stabilized her so there's no chance of her overheating and exploding. Or something in between (maybe she can heal, but she can't breathe fire).

They've left it up in the air so the writers have freedom in how to handle her in future movies.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    regarding one of the henchmen
    i was a little confused by the woman that had the scar but was clearly an extremis user. wasn't one of the effects of extremis to make you look "beautiful"? i mean, that's why killian injected himself right, it fixed his physical disabilities? Yet, this henchman still had a nasty scar? I'm not trying to nitpick, i was genuinely confused by her physical appearance.
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Except these aren't ordinary minions. They're not cyborg alien drones or hired thugs, they're recruited from the American military itself. By bringing them onboard for AIM and exposing them to dangerous experiments the writer has to account for how they'd be effected and why people would join them. Even if its a basic excuse it has to make sense and account for variables. It also makes them more interesting as characters for the movie. Savin and Brandt were perfect vectors to reveal this stuff, just a few lines will do. Making them a more complex factor in the story would have made it more interesting IMO. Savin himself would have been a great evil counterpart to Stark since they experienced similar events in their lives.

I like action movies, especially super-hero movies. I'm willing to suspend disbelief but I'm not going to give a movie that lets me fill in the blanks a pass for their stories just for it to make sense. Suspense of disbelief does not mean I should forget about the movie making logical sense in-story. The reason tropes are used is they make sense. Subverting something just for the hell of it isn't insightful, especially when it doesn't account for plot holes, makes characters less complex or ignores world building from previous movies. I'm only taking the movie's flaws to their ultimate conclusion.

A cool relevelation might have been
    Most of the human bombs were people who decided not to join up on the terrorist thing, and were, I dunno, remote detonated so they couldn't go to the authorities. The rest of the subjects fall in line because of it.

Would have been a good explanation, IMO Shame we didn't get anything like that.
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i was a little confused by the woman that had the scar but was clearly an extremis user. wasn't one of the effects of extremis to make you look "beautiful"? i mean, that's why killian injected himself right, it fixed his physical disabilities? Yet, this henchman still had a nasty scar? I'm not trying to nitpick, i was genuinely confused by her physical appearance.

IIRC
    She was the subject right next to the dude who blew up on initial injection. I'm guessing getting her face blown off right during the initial extremis process fucked up her face when it regenerated.
    Undead Scottsman on
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular

Extremis goons
    I was under the impression that they started with wounded soldiers. And then, not all of them became dedicated killers. The one that blows up at the theater was certainly not going around killing people. The one in Tennessee also seemed to just be living his life post extremis. There's no indication that after initial testing he didn't branch out to giving it to hired goons.

Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that someone who had wounded limbs healed, given super powers, and was basically made invincible by someone might become a fanatic. Extremis seems to make people more aggressive (see: pepper) so again, I don't think the outcome is unreasonable. Power corrupts, or so they say.
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Most of the human bombs were people who decided not to join up on the terrorist thing, and were, I dunno, remote detonated so they couldn't go to the authorities. The rest of the subjects fall in line because of it.

IIRC
    She was the subject right next to the dude who blew up on initial injection. I'm guessing getting her face blown off right during the initial extremis process fucked up her face when it regenerated.
    but her face was like that before the experiment, and she was carted off just in time I assume.
    so her getting double blasted is just a bit odd.

It's far more likely that the reason is much the same as the reason that Tony Stark in 1990s, after 73 hours without sleep and after a crash and wrapping up the plot look just about the same. The makeup artist didn't read the script.
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

Extremis goons
    I was under the impression that they started with wounded soldiers. And then, not all of them became dedicated killers. The one that blows up at the theater was certainly not going around killing people. The one in Tennessee also seemed to just be living his life post extremis. There's no indication that after initial testing he didn't branch out to giving it to hired goons.

Also, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that someone who had wounded limbs healed, given super powers, and was basically made invincible by someone might become a fanatic. Extremis seems to make people more aggressive (see: pepper) so again, I don't think the outcome is unreasonable. Power corrupts, or so they say.
    They were made from wounded veterans. Its true that not all of them joined AIM, but we're given no background on them. The only example for that was a dead guy who was first to explode and a candidate that was unable to regulate properly then exploded. if Killian did branch out into hiring thugs they never explained it. All the explanation for where he got his Extremis guinea pigs was wounded veterans.

That isn't unreasonable. The problem is they didn't reveal any motivation for why Savin, Brandt or any other Extremis soldiers joined AIM to be in Killian's personal super-soldier program. Power does corrupt but its useless when it isn't shown or implied it corrupted them. We don't know why Brandt turned from being a semi-normal veteran into a psychotic killer when she personally saw a colleague blow up next to her, either. I can understand the increased aggression having some effect, not that it overwrote her personality completely* into being Killian's personal assassin.

* if it did that they didn't reveal it in the movie. That also is something that'd effect pepper, too. Is Tony going to worry about her becoming a serial killer now she's infected with Extremis if she kept her powers?
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
    1. We weren't given much information on their lives prior to Extremis (aside from being wounded military veterans) or post. Why did the majority join AIM and become Killian's one of most trusted groups? Fuck if I know. We only got a few Extremis examples. Savin and Brandt were 100% loyal to Killian, both weren't given much depth especially Brandt. There was the veteran who exploded accidentally - we were given no backstory on him he was there strictly to show a Mandarin "terrorist attack" and hospitalize Happy. Then there's the dozens of Extremis soldiers at Killian's command on the dock. Pure cannon-fodder. Evil henchmen one and all. That's a lot of people Killian recruited. Must have been a great speech to get them onboard. To bad we don't see it or discuss it.

2. Possible, but that's speculation. We don't know what any of them thought of the government.

Its true that being a veteran doesn't make a person good or evil but people react differently. We don't know any circumstances that they came from other than they were from the military and they were maimed on duty. You'd think a few would be freaking out about seeing one of their own blown up during the experimenting phase. If they didn't like what the government did to them after being maimed why would they join a psycho who blew up their colleagues like a mad scientist? Did AIM murder any who tried to leak what happened to the government? Was it fear or blackmail to keep getting injections to keep them stable into keeping their mouths shut? There were numerous directions to take with that and Black did nothing.
    They did it for the same reason anyone does. Their own greed. Blackwater finds plenty of people willing to do horrible stuff for money alone so I have no doubt AIM would have trouble finding people to do horrible stuff for both money and an extreme amount of power.

And they weren't recruited from the military. The military would have already separated them. People who stay in after losing limbs are the exception, not the rule.
    The complaints regarding Extremis goons is valid to a point, but it can also be leveled against almost any goons in any action movie ever. There's rarely much explicit reason given for Random Thugs to fight to the death.
    Imma just point out that as far as we know only two opted to fight to the death.

The rest were hunted down by killer robots with no option of surrender. Tony's command didn't allow for any chance of it. Even Pepper was nearly killed by them.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Imma just point out that as far as we know only two opted to fight to the death.

The rest were hunted down by killer robots with no option of surrender. Tony's command didn't allow for any chance of it. Even Pepper was nearly killed by them.
    Hey man, they were participating in a terrorist attack that involved KILLING THE PRESIDENT. Pretty sure they weren't gonna just give up.

shoeboxjeddy.jpg

Hey man, they were participating in a terrorist attack that involved KILLING THE PRESIDENT. Pretty sure they weren't gonna just give up.
    Cause Blackwater never helped overthrow a government?
    edited May 2013
    1. We don't know that they were willing to lay down their lives, we only know they'd been maimed. There's a big difference between taking a grenade to save a friend and just getting hit with an IED on your ride out of the country after six months of IT work.

2. Killian gave them what the government couldn't and what quite a few probably rightfully blamed the government for taking away for no good reason.

Being a wounded veteran doesn't make someone inherently good or even patriotic. Depending on the circumstances it can have literally the opposite effect.
    1. We weren't given much information on their lives prior to Extremis (aside from being wounded military veterans) or post. Why did the majority join AIM and become Killian's one of most trusted groups? Fuck if I know. We only got a few Extremis examples. Savin and Brandt were 100% loyal to Killian, both weren't given much depth especially Brandt. There was the veteran who exploded accidentally - we were given no backstory on him he was there strictly to show a Mandarin "terrorist attack" and hospitalize Happy. Then there's the dozens of Extremis soldiers at Killian's command on the dock. Pure cannon-fodder. Evil henchmen one and all. That's a lot of people Killian recruited. Must have been a great speech to get them onboard. To bad we don't see it or discuss it.

2. Possible, but that's speculation. We don't know what any of them thought of the government.

Its true that being a veteran doesn't make a person good or evil but people react differently. We don't know any circumstances that they came from other than they were from the military and they were maimed on duty. You'd think a few would be freaking out about seeing one of their own blown up during the experimenting phase. If they didn't like what the government did to them after being maimed why would they join a psycho who blew up their colleagues like a mad scientist? Did AIM murder any who tried to leak what happened to the government? Was it fear or blackmail to keep getting injections to keep them stable into keeping their mouths shut? There were numerous directions to take with that and Black did nothing.
    They did it for the same reason anyone does. Their own greed. Blackwater finds plenty of people willing to do horrible stuff for money alone so I have no doubt AIM would have trouble finding people to do horrible stuff for both money and an extreme amount of power.

And they weren't recruited from the military. The military would have already separated them. People who stay in after losing limbs are the exception, not the rule.
    Greed as a motive is speculation. Unless there's a scene I don't remember from the movie revealing why the Extremis soldiers joined AIM. I don't recall them confirming anyone but wounded veterans being used for Extremis. If they did the movie never showed or implied it. Blackwater is a poor analog. The black ops. activities the Extremis soldiers were doing are closer to a terrorist organization, not mercenaries for the US government.

You know what I mean when I said they recruited from wounded veterans. We have no idea how high the proportion was for recruits they got from the Extremis experiments. That'd involve the movie establishing facts, which was sadly not as much of a priority to the film-makers compared to themes.
    Harry Dresden on
  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Registered User regular
    So I finally watched it, and I need some help!

I'm living in China and there were some scenes added to the film that were completely in Mandarin (the language, not the dude). Can somebody confirm if the following scenes were also in the normal film, and if so, can you make sure I got the translation right? My Chinese isn't perfect, so I mighta flubbed some stuff.
    Scene at the beginning party where Tony meets a Chinese doctor, who talks about his awesome surgery techniques.

Scene in the middle before Tony's house is blown up, with aforementioned Chinese doctor talking about medical technology from AIM. He was possibly talking about Killian and Extremis, but I don't know the translations for those names.

Scene at the end where Tony goes to the Chinese doctor and gets heart surgery to remove the shrapnel from his ticker. Doctor and assistant (some famous Chinese girl) talk about how the surgery is impossible and every computer model shows 100% failure. Doc is all, Yo, I'm awesome. He fixes Tony.

Final scene of the movie is Tony throwing his now useless chest-piece reactor over the cliff of his ruined mansion, and saying "It doesn't matter about the toys. I know who I am no matter what. I am Ironman."

That last scene is pretty weird, in my opinion. Totally left field, and I question whether or not it's in the Western version because it's so odd and un-Ironmany. Set me straight, peeps.

Oh, and they didn't have the teaser at the end, so I'll have to try and youtube that later. :(
    SignatureFinal_zps22983399.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Everything with the doc didn't happen, aside from maybe a VERY quick "hey" at the part in the beginning.

The end part with Tony going "I am Iron Man" happened. He was basically saying that he was Iron Man, with or without the suits.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    actually, maybe, i think
    the chinese doctor was at the new years party and specifically got mentioned, i think it was a "full circle" type of things that the doctor that performed the surgery at the end was supposed to be the same person. it was a meeting of the greatest experts in a bunch of fields right?
    steam_sig.png
    actually, maybe, i think
    the chinese doctor was at the new years party and specifically got mentioned, i think it was a "full circle" type of things that the doctor that performed the surgery at the end was supposed to be the same person. it was a meeting of the greatest experts in a bunch of fields right?
    Yeah, that's what I meant. my bad. He basically had one line of dialog introducing himself at the party, and then no dialog whatsoever during the surgery at the end, and that was it.

• NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    actually, maybe, i think

Yes.
    which is also why Yensen is there.
    newSig.jpg
    Ah, I think I get it now.
    So, he did have the heart surgery, but the extra build-up stuff didn't happen. Dunno why, but it seemed odd, especially with the random Chinese doctor being played up so much. I thought the whole surgery might have been added in.

Thanks guys!
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Concerning the Extremis soldiers,
    Since AIM had access to the military's files, it is very likely that they specifically picked veterans who were prone to violence or held extreme beliefs.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero Registered User regular

I'm living in China and there were some scenes added to the film that were completely in Mandarin (the language, not the dude). Can somebody confirm if the following scenes were also in the normal film, and if so, can you make sure I got the translation right? My Chinese isn't perfect, so I mighta flubbed some stuff.
    Scene at the beginning party where Tony meets a Chinese doctor, who talks about his awesome surgery techniques.

Scene in the middle before Tony's house is blown up, with aforementioned Chinese doctor talking about medical technology from AIM. He was possibly talking about Killian and Extremis, but I don't know the translations for those names.

Scene at the end where Tony goes to the Chinese doctor and gets heart surgery to remove the shrapnel from his ticker. Doctor and assistant (some famous Chinese girl) talk about how the surgery is impossible and every computer model shows 100% failure. Doc is all, Yo, I'm awesome. He fixes Tony.

Final scene of the movie is Tony throwing his now useless chest-piece reactor over the cliff of his ruined mansion, and saying "It doesn't matter about the toys. I know who I am no matter what. I am Ironman."

That last scene is pretty weird, in my opinion. Totally left field, and I question whether or not it's in the Western version because it's so odd and un-Ironmany. Set me straight, peeps.

Oh, and they didn't have the teaser at the end, so I'll have to try and youtube that later. :(

Please forgive me for linking Kotaku.
    oIi9lub.png
    Favicon.ico maximumzero / Favicon.ico 0860-3352-3335 / Favicon.ico maximumzer0 / Steampowered_favicon.png MaximumZero / ZxDoVOt.pngAmazon Shop
  • PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    The idea that Tony couldn't get to the extra suits was utter bullshit. Nevermind the fact that two of the suits shown would have been capable of digging them out, how about 40 or so fully functional Iron Man suits actively trying to blast their way out? I figure it might have taken a full minute before they were free. And the more I think about the film, the more I realize that it's bullshit.

How about this: During the attack on his mansion, why didn't Tony just say the words 'house party' and activate the 40 suits he had already programmed for exactly this situation? Seriously, why did he spend all that time planning for this EXACT situation (he was powerless and Pepper needed protecting) only to...I dunno...forget to use them? What's more, during the end battle we are shown that Tony can jump in and out of the suits in under a second. So when he put #42 on Pepper...why didn't he just say "Jarvis send me another suit"? The movie showed us that it would have taken about five seconds for Tony to be wearing a fully functional, battle ready suit. Suspending disbelief is one thing but this was just too far for me.

"I've got an idea, we can end the movie with a huge fight scene with a ton of remote-controlled Iron Man suits!"

"Umm, it sounds cool but...wouldn't it kind of...negate the rest of the movie?"

"We'll fix it in post!"

Ohh, and correct me if I'm wrong...but did the movie end with Tony perfecting a drug that could cure any injury? Like, any injury at all as long as the heart/brain survived? Can't wait to see how they handle that in the next movie since the world no longer needs medical professionals.
    The arc reactor is basically a perpetual motion machine and its invention has had no effect on the world
    edited May 2013
    The idea that Tony couldn't get to the extra suits was utter bullshit. Nevermind the fact that two of the suits shown would have been capable of digging them out, how about 40 or so fully functional Iron Man suits actively trying to blast their way out? I figure it might have taken a full minute before they were free. And the more I think about the film, the more I realize that it's bullshit.
    Given how Tony being buried nearly got him permanently stuck if not for the prehensile suit shenangians pulling him out, I would imagine it's not so simple from a logistic standpoint. If they started blasting or digging their way out, they probably would have caused a collapse and buried most, if not all of the suits. Digging yourself out from under rubble is a lot different then digging someone out from above. That debris has to go somewhere.
    Undead Scottsman on
    The house wasn't very tall.
    So there couldn't have been that much debris.

Not to mention the fact that Tony probably would have kept the space above the vault empty. After all, why would he purposely obstruct the opening where his suits are supposed to fly out from?

Greed as a motive is speculation. Unless there's a scene I don't remember from the movie revealing why the Extremis soldiers joined AIM. I don't recall them confirming anyone but wounded veterans being used for Extremis. If they did the movie never showed or implied it. Blackwater is a poor analog. The black ops. activities the Extremis soldiers were doing are closer to a terrorist organization, not mercenaries for the US government.

You know what I mean when I said they recruited from wounded veterans. We have no idea how high the proportion was for recruits they got from the Extremis experiments. That'd involve the movie establishing facts, which was sadly not as much of a priority to the film-makers compared to themes.
    And like Jeffe said they don't need a reason beyond any of the other goons. You don't care why the guys in suits were working security this bad. But for some reason because these ones have slightly more back story you're insisting they need to have a reason explained to you.
  • PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    The arc reactor is basically a perpetual motion machine and its invention has had no effect on the world
    Actually it was a major plot point in the Avengers movie. They also showed that Tony was still trying to develop it into a renewable energy source.

Plus 'Prototype renewable energy source that's stuck in my chest' isn't the same as 'Drug that gives Wolverine's Healing Factor to everyone in the world'.
    edited May 2013
    Except the arc reactor has been out of the prototype for a very long time. The giant version in Iron Man 1 was the original prototype. The miniaturized version Tony built in Afghanistan was the first mini-arc reactor prototype. He built the second miniaturized version after he got back for the Iron Man Mk. 2. There's the miniaturized homemade version Vanko built. There's the reactors Vanko built for Hammer's drones. There's the reactor Vanko built for his own giant mech suit. By the time of Iron Man 2, they had the capability to crank out arc reactors pretty fast.

As for Extremis
    They didn't show how hard it was to produce or whether it required any special chemicals.
    KingofMadCows on
    edited May 2013
    Except the arc reactor has been out of the prototype for a very long time. The giant version in Iron Man 1 was the original prototype. The miniaturized version Tony built in Afghanistan was the first mini-arc reactor prototype. He built the second miniaturized version after he got back for the Iron Man Mk. 2. There's the miniaturized homemade version Vanko built. There's the reactors Vanko built for Hammer's drones. There's the reactor Vanko built for his own giant mech suit. By the time of Iron Man 2, they had the capability to crank out arc reactors pretty fast.

The one in Stark Tower in the Avengers is said to be a prototype, and it's only supposed to last a year.
    Undead Scottsman on
    The Stark Tower probably consumes massive amounts of power.

In Iron Man 1, Tony said that the arc reactor he build in Afghanistan could generate 3 gigajoules per second for 15 minutes. That's about the average amount of power consumed by 50 American households in a year. And Tony built that arc reactor in a cave. The ones he built afterwards are far more powerful and considering how Vanko was able to build them pretty easily as well, they don't seem to be that hard to make.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    You know,
    when the prototype suits where buried underneath the rubble it probably interfered with Tony's ability to communicate with them. I know from personal experience that half a meter of concrete really messes up my Wi-Fi. With the rest of the house destroyed, I suspect the entire garage was a no bars dead zone until they cleared the rubble. I interpreted Jarvis telling Tony that they had cleared rubble from the entrance as Jarvis re-establishing contact with the prototypes.

Its fairly obvious when you think about it and I am surprised that people keep harping on it as much as they do.
    You got a Hulkbuster suit and a suit that can dig. Big Whoop. If you can't remotely activate them, they are as useful as inflatable hammer.

You would think people would accept that occasionally your phone call goes to voice mail.
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    The Stark Tower probably consumes massive amounts of power.

In Iron Man 1, Tony said that the arc reactor he build in Afghanistan could generate 3 gigajoules per second for 15 minutes. That's about the average amount of power consumed by 50 American households in a year. And Tony built that arc reactor in a cave. The ones he built afterwards are far more powerful and considering how Vanko was able to build them pretty easily as well, they don't seem to be that hard to make.

but vanko was a smart guy using his dad's blueprints.
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod

IIRC
    but her face was like that before the experiment, and she was carted off just in time I assume.
    so her getting double blasted is just a bit odd.

It's far more likely that the reason is much the same as the reason that Tony Stark in 1990s, after 73 hours without sleep and after a crash and wrapping up the plot look just about the same. The makeup artist didn't read the script.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.

Please forgive me for linking Kotaku.

All is forgiven; this helped fill in my blanks immensely. And, basically, those blanks were filled in with crap. The Chinese-added scenes were indeed glaring. Now I'm gonna be extra vigilant when I go to the movies and check for more wacky product placement and weirdness.