Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    I tend to find that mechs in the Proving Grounds die a lot sooner than mechs in an actual game. It's like they have fewer hitpoints on everything.
    6Jx6HOg.png
    BF3/PS2/MWO/Hawken: CabbageOfDiscord | Minecraft: BrotherCabbage
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard GO DIGITIGRADE OR GO HOME Registered User regular
    TheExAm wrote: »
    I tend to find that mechs in the Proving Grounds die a lot sooner than mechs in an actual game. It's like they have fewer hitpoints on everything.

They often do. Stock mechs often have less armor than you would think, or perhaps a strange distribution.
    FWUfbMk.png
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Light mechs and fire support mechs (Catapult, Jager) in particular have far less armor than what most people run them with.
    sXXjb1B.png
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    Y'all are posting those ELO screenshots on the official forums where the devs can see them, right?
    C2hmw6F.png
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I will send in support tickets, but posting on the official forums is a lost cause.

As long as the CS send them to the devs, which the devs say they get alot of information from CS then it should all get to the same place.

Also, Shift + F11 turns off the HUD, but you still have to worry about the cockpit.
    BillGates on
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    HAHA! GOT CROSSFIRE WORKING! 6990 + 6970 = 90 FPS @ 1080P MAX SETTINGS

EDIT:

Okay, for those with multiple AMD cards in Crossfire, do this:

1. Open up the CCC
    2. Click Gaming -> 3D Application Settings
    3. Click Add, and browse to your Mechwarrior Online\Bin32 folder.
    4. Choose "MWOClient"
    5. Scroll down to CrossFireX Mode, and pick AFR friendly.

You should now get proper scaling with your multi-GPU setup.

is it realer than real life?
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Man... i can't find a oosik 'dress' uniform camo i like... i just can't get behind orange as a colour :argh:
    heroth-s.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Heroth wrote: »
    Man... i can't find a oosik 'dress' uniform camo i like... i just can't get behind orange as a colour :argh:

Just rock the classic Camo Blue, Camo Grey, and Camo Light Blue.

Also, turns out our dress colors look pretty much exactly like the Creddit colors. Only difference is they use Hellblau for their blue.
    Stabbity Style on
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle

Just rock the classic Camo Blue, Camo Grey, and Camo Light Blue.

Also, turns out our dress colors look pretty much exactly like the Creddit colors. Only difference is they use Hellblau for their blue.

Yeah, i have 'slate' which i like quite abit so i'm thinking of running that+titanium white+kubris (or chestnut, very similiar) which i don't mind because its slightly less 'bright' (compared to blood orange) It looks pretty good on Catapaults with the PC gamer skin.

EDIT:

1. Open up the CCC
    4. Choose "MWOClient"

And this totally doesn't work for me ;_; i get screen flickering with this set up :sadface:
    heroth-s.png
  • heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    Welp. I remembered why I hated streakcats, I was in a 100%Cent d going 104 ish. Only showinf my 7 pt armoured arms to one streakcat. Finished him off. Down to red internals on my Ct. Nothing else beyond barely yellow. Run into a second streakcat and he cores me in one salvo from the side...arm is still barely yellow....I think it will only get worse once bap counters ecm
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    heckels wrote: »
    Welp. I remembered why I hated streakcats, I was in a 100%Cent d going 104 ish. Only showinf my 7 pt armoured arms to one streakcat. Finished him off. Down to red internals on my Ct. Nothing else beyond barely yellow. Run into a second streakcat and he cores me in one salvo from the side...arm is still barely yellow....I think it will only get worse once bap counters ecm

I fully expect that the moment BAP counters ECM and PPCs get some balance (finally), streaks will immediately become the prominent unbalanced weapon if left alone. They'll be less of a problem now that hitting with ballistic and PPC weapons is now good and people will be able to decently pick streak mechs apart at range, but that thing where they're nailing CTs almost exclusively is just ripe for abuse once the vast majority of combat no longer takes place at 500m. Don't forget that streaks were still utterly broken for weeks after ECM hit, they just became a matter of horribly OP or completely useless depending on the presence of ECM.

What I don't get is how streaks were fine for a while, then PGI managed to screw them up again so they went back to damaging the CT over almost anything else. Even disregarding the stupid way they currently deal their damage, they still only hit the 3 torso sections on a mech (you can watch them do it in training mode; all the missile LOOK like they spread out across the torso, but they damage almost nothing but the CT) unless physically blocked by an obstruction, which is still a really dumb targeting scenario because that damage is still getting concentrated too much on vital areas for something that takes minimal effort to use.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Something is weird with missiles in general. Remember that when PGI turned off splash damage, all the missiles immediately went straight for the CT. How those are even connected I have no idea.
    could it be that missiles are a particle entity rather than actually rendered and collision mapped models?

particles in 3D animation software are usually mathematically represented as tiny spheres, even though they use models for rendering.
    could it be that the ''splash radius'' of missiles were just larger spheres compared to the smaller radius that PGI went to?

that could explain the whole flummoxing of missiles. I'm just kicking around the idea since I remember that was how it was back in Lightwave 7.0
    could it be that missiles are a particle entity rather than actually rendered and collision mapped models?

particles in 3D animation software are usually mathematically represented as tiny spheres, even though they use models for rendering.
    could it be that the ''splash radius'' of missiles were just larger spheres compared to the smaller radius that PGI went to?

that could explain the whole flummoxing of missiles. I'm just kicking around the idea since I remember that was how it was back in Lightwave 7.0

I know nothing of this but they have *actual* models that bounce off your cockpit at close ranges if that ahhh, has anything to do with any of that.
    heroth-s.png
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

EDIT:

1. Open up the CCC
    4. Choose "MWOClient"

And this totally doesn't work for me ;_; i get screen flickering with this set up :sadface:

If it helps, I have "Wait for Vertical Refresh" at Always On and OpenGL Triple Buffering on as well.

Here are my settings:

31bf7gX.jpg
    sXXjb1B.png
    Just tried those exact settings... still flickering, less if i turn on in-game V-sync and also strangely almost no flickering if i go into Thermal/NV...

What kind of in-game settings are you running on?
    heroth-s.png
    Everything set to maxed with no issues. I then added SweetFX and tweaked one of the ultra high-end user.cfgs from the official forums.

I followed the instructions here and downloaded this package, which contains more instructions and a bunch of user.cfg files you can use. I combined the default PGI "ultra-high" config with the "ultra-high-maxed" one from the archived folder, and used the result in my game.
    sXXjb1B.png

I know nothing of this but they have *actual* models that bounce off your cockpit at close ranges if that ahhh, has anything to do with any of that.

yes, but it still comes down to them being particle objects or actual model objects in the rendering program. it's hard to explain, but what you see in 3D space
    is not always what is actually there. What Im thinking is that they used particles and put a collision map on them to represent splash damage. With collision maps,
    you keep objects from intersecting each other in a 3D space (ie clipping). The problem PGI faces is that since they reduced splash radius, they probably reduced
    the size of their particles collision maps, thus they can be closer and tighter together, hence all the Center Torso hits. Maybe the Cry Engine doesn't have a
    variable to space particles properly outside of collision maps...
    Did they actually reduce the splash radius? As I understand it, all they did was keep the splash the same but reduced the damage value to compensate.
    sXXjb1B.png
    Yeah, PGI reduced splash damage, but they also made it so that you can't shoot the ground at mech's feet and damage them that way, so I don't know what they whole story is there. And splash damage has also been reduced considerably, because of the bug that was causing that splash damage to cause very excessive damage; the majority of the damage is now dealt on impact, but the reduced splash damage means no more insane SRM/streak damage.

I'm pretty sure what happened with streaks is that PGI patched missiles to end LRMaggedon, but then they screwed up somehow and brought back old code. That old code then set missiles to going for the CT again, which has been an issue before. And since PGI doesn't knuckle down on a current weapon problem like common sense would overwhelmingly dictate, they threw together a quick fix, got it out there ASAP, and then continued to focus almost entirely on whatever weapon they were on in their balance "cycle", which would explain why streaks and LRMs continue to have stupid behavior despite very clearly not working properly.
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Yeah, PGI reduced splash damage, but they also made it so that you can't shoot the ground at mech's feet and damage them that way, so I don't know what they whole story is there. And splash damage has also been reduced considerably, because of the bug that was causing that splash damage to cause very excessive damage; the majority of the damage is now dealt on impact, but the reduced splash damage means no more insane SRM/streak damage.

I'm pretty sure what happened with streaks is that PGI patched missiles to end LRMaggedon, but then they screwed up somehow and brought back old code. That old code then set missiles to going for the CT again, which has been an issue before. And since PGI doesn't knuckle down on a current weapon problem like common sense would overwhelmingly dictate, they threw together a quick fix, got it out there ASAP, and then continued to focus almost entirely on whatever weapon they were on in their balance "cycle", which would explain why streaks and LRMs continue to have stupid behavior despite very clearly not working properly.
    Is there a link for this somewhere? I was also under the impression that missile damage being reduced was the only fix that had been implemented so far.
    MWO User Name: Gorn Arming
    StarCraft II User Name: DeadMenRise

Is there a link for this somewhere? I was also under the impression that missile damage being reduced was the only fix that had been implemented so far.

A link for the CT-targeting coming back or a link for the splash damage being reduced? Because the former is just speculation based on how the missiles are performing like they did in days long past after getting patched to not be nuclear. The latter has a post somewhere about the damage on missiles in general and the ratio between splash- and direct-hit damage being adjusted in favor of direct hits to make splash damage not nightmarish, but I don't know where it is.

That's an issue of semantics, though; splash damage has been reduced so that missiles will do the proper damage, but that could be due to the roundabout fix of adjusting missile damage downward so that their "bugged" damage instead now deals "normal" damage, simply because of the lowered values.
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    As far as I am aware, missile behavior has not changed--they still deal the same fraction of their damage as splash with the same radius. Their base damage has been reduced.
    MWO User Name: Gorn Arming
    StarCraft II User Name: DeadMenRise
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Registered User regular
    Just tried those exact settings... still flickering, less if i turn on in-game V-sync and also strangely almost no flickering if i go into Thermal/NV...

What kind of in-game settings are you running on?

I encounter this flickering sometimes with a dual-chip setup. In my case, it's usually caused by alternate frames being rendered at different brightnesses/gammas. You can try playing around with the in-game gamma/bright and see if it helps. If you end up with the game being too dark, you can usually fix it by temporarily boosting gamma from the CCC.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I noticed the in game options have gamma bad brightness adjustment sliders now. Don't know if they were there before, but I don't remember them.
    n90uZGq.png
    As far as I am aware, missile behavior has not changed--they still deal the same fraction of their damage as splash with the same radius. Their base damage has been reduced.

Just for clarification, there are two distinct issues I'm talking about in regards to missile behavior: one is the damage they deal, and the other is how the hit a target.

Now, the damage thing has been altered. I did not/was not aware of the particulars of that aside from that it got adjusted downward and missile damage is no longer insane.

For how they hit a target, that has changed significantly since the beta went open. Initially, LRMs scattered pretty heavily, and streaks went almost purely for the CT. The streaks got adjusted at some point to not hit just the CT, and the LRMs started going directly for the CT once PGI made changes to the missile groupings. When the inflated missile damage combined with the CT focus, LRMs became horribly OP. Then PGI kicked the damage on missiles way down.

However, right now all homing missiles target the CT almost exclusively. A big LRM volley will still strip the CT of a mech almost exclusively (just not many people take LRMs right now because the reduced damage makes them much more balanced than PPCs, so nobody wants to waste weight on missiles), and streaks almost exclusively target the CT as well. But that behavior came about for LRMs when we got the new missile groupings, and streaks went back to their CT-seeking mode at the same time.

In short, homing missiles are borked in general because they aren't spreading properly at all despite having some proper amounts of spread at different times, but the issue is concealed right now because PPCs are so much easier and faster to use and ECM hasn't been nerfed yet.
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    (just not many people take LRMs right now because the reduced damage makes them much more balanced than PPCs, so nobody wants to waste weight on missiles)
    No one takes LRMs because they're inferior as a ranged option due to requiring a lock for the entire flight time. This is a great situation for getting you or your spotter's head shot off by direct fire weapons.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    Can I get a hell yeah?
    zHpYxVU.jpg

And can I get an exasperated sigh? 8->
    w0xnwx5.jpg
    steam_sig.png
    Spectrum wrote: »
    (just not many people take LRMs right now because the reduced damage makes them much more balanced than PPCs, so nobody wants to waste weight on missiles)
    No one takes LRMs because they're inferior as a ranged option due to requiring a lock for the entire flight time. This is a great situation for getting you or your spotter's head shot off by direct fire weapons.

Well yeah, that's a large part of what I mean. When LRMs were doing crazy damage, the current PPC imbalance caused by HSR would've been an entirely second-rate problem because LRM damage was utterly insane. Now that LRM damage is sane, they're pathetic compared to what PPCs can do because PPCs have no lock limitations and deal pinpoint damage and move super-fast. No chance of popping out for a second, dropping 40-55 damage on one panel of a target, and then popping back behind cover with LRMs.

Not that I'm complaining about that, mind, but the current PPC metagame wrecking balance is masking further issues like the way LRMs and streaks target the CT almost exclusively, which was more my point. PGI needs to stop reacting to balance issues and the need to anticipate them, because most of the open beta at this point has been spent with them playing catchup on balancing weapons that really should not be taking weeks or months to fix. I appreciate the extra stuff they're doing that we don't see like working on the Community Warfare, but if they can't keep the game fun and worthwhile to play, there won't be a community around to participate in said warfare. In open beta, MWO has spent less time in a semi-balanced state than in stupidly unbalanced states, and even diehards like myself can only tolerate that for so long before giving up on the whole thing.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Does anybody have a nice 460x240 gamequilt image for adding MWO to Steam?

Edit: It's actually 460x215 and I found a few.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    I have a feeling (a hoping?) that a lot of the balance lag or whatever you want to call it is happening because they haven't opened the public test server yet. It seems to me that they try balance changes on their test servers, which have a lot less people and most likely a completely different meta game and culture, and everything seems fine until we get our hands on it.
    Petra_zpsfdc60b14.png

Well yeah, that's a large part of what I mean. When LRMs were doing crazy damage, the current PPC imbalance caused by HSR would've been an entirely second-rate problem because LRM damage was utterly insane. Now that LRM damage is sane, they're pathetic compared to what PPCs can do because PPCs have no lock limitations and deal pinpoint damage and move super-fast. No chance of popping out for a second, dropping 40-55 damage on one panel of a target, and then popping back behind cover with LRMs.

Not that I'm complaining about that, mind, but the current PPC metagame wrecking balance is masking further issues like the way LRMs and streaks target the CT almost exclusively, which was more my point. PGI needs to stop reacting to balance issues and the need to anticipate them, because most of the open beta at this point has been spent with them playing catchup on balancing weapons that really should not be taking weeks or months to fix. I appreciate the extra stuff they're doing that we don't see like working on the Community Warfare, but if they can't keep the game fun and worthwhile to play, there won't be a community around to participate in said warfare. In open beta, MWO has spent less time in a semi-balanced state than in stupidly unbalanced states, and even diehards like myself can only tolerate that for so long before giving up on the whole thing.

What? SSRM's are broke for the CT sure, but LRM's? No, thats completely wrong. If you stand still and take a volley, of course it's going to hit center mass, but if you are moving it will hit you appropriately.

SSRM's are broken for the fact that even if you torso twist and give the enemy mech your arm the SSRM's will STILL hit the CT, LRM's don't work like that. If you give your arm to LRM's you will take damage on your arm and side torso but not the CT. Thats the reason why SSRM's are broken and why LRM's are not. In fact, LRM's need a buff. More then just a speed increase, a damage increase is in order as well. 0.7 to maybe 1.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    My issue with LRMS right now is the arc makes them hard to use as indirect fire weapons.
  • KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Hey guys, sorry for the late notice, but the podcast this week is cancelled due to everyone being out of town.
    Petra_zpsfdc60b14.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »
    Hey guys, sorry for the late notice, but the podcast this week is cancelled due to everyone being out of town.

:<
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
    edited May 2013
    BillGates wrote: »

What? SSRM's are broke for the CT sure, but LRM's? No, thats completely wrong. If you stand still and take a volley, of course it's going to hit center mass, but if you are moving it will hit you appropriately.

SSRM's are broken for the fact that even if you torso twist and give the enemy mech your arm the SSRM's will STILL hit the CT, LRM's don't work like that. If you give your arm to LRM's you will take damage on your arm and side torso but not the CT. Thats the reason why SSRM's are broken and why LRM's are not. In fact, LRM's need a buff. More then just a speed increase, a damage increase is in order as well. 0.7 to maybe 1.

Considering I've had my entire Jager CT stripped of armor in a single salvo of double LRM20 with the other torso section only turning slightly yellow, even with the current balances, no, LRMs aren't working right. There's simply no justification for LRMs to be grouping that nicely, considering what it takes to get them hit. It doesn't hardly happen right now because nobody is taking LRMs, but LRMs and streaks alike are targeting CTs far, far, far too agressively for decent balance once PPCs get dialed down; they only adjusted the damage from before, and it seems like they haven't even touched the actual behavior of the missiles since the patch that made them ridiculous.

LRMs do need adjustments and buffs, absolutely, but PGI needs to make changes that are something other than just whether or not LRM grouping makes them useless or ridiculous. For one, they need arcs for direct fire and indirect fire, instead of trying to make one arc that does both jobs. For direct fire, a fast, flat arc that doesn't give a target 15-20 seconds to hit cover, but without stupidly-narrow fire groupings (maybe 40/30/30 spread across 3 panels, with the closest panel to the shooter taking most of the damage). For indirect fire, a slower, loftier arc, where the missiles hit some altitude above the target and then drop downward with more scatter, but better chance to hit the mech in general.

Giving people the option to toggle means they've got LRMs that work for both serious direct combat and hitting people behind cover with a spotter. The current mix of low speed and a crappy arc makes LRMs way too situational under the best of circumstances; let people control the missile behavior in response to those circumstances and maybe we'll start seeing builds somewhere between "LRMs are dumb, don't have any" and "fifty million LRMs because that's how many you need".

EDIT: And just to make sure, I jumped on Training Grounds with non-Artemis LRM5 and LRM10 and double Artemis LRM20. Artemis or not, LRMs are showing an aggressiveness in targeting CTs that is almost identical to streaks. And with Artemis, the trait is even worse; a triple salvo of Artemis LRM20 cores the Training Ground Atlas without even stripping the side torso sections of armor.

EDIT EDIT: Holy shit, even DUMBFIRING LRMs causes the damage to hit the CT almost exclusively. Double Artemis LRM20 to the arm and side torso of an Atlas with no lock at all? The Atlas STILL ends up cored before a single other component gets stripped of armor, even with the CT taking not more than one or two direct hits a salvo.

Yeah, LRMs are ABSOLUTELY still in a busted state, we just don't see it because PPCs are way more broken.
    Ninja Snarl P on
    edited May 2013

Considering I've had my entire Jager CT stripped of armor in a single salvo of double LRM20 with the other torso section only turning slightly yellow, even with the current balances, no, LRMs aren't working right. There's simply no justification for LRMs to be grouping that nicely, considering what it takes to get them hit. It doesn't hardly happen right now because nobody is taking LRMs, but LRMs and streaks alike are targeting CTs far, far, far too agressively for decent balance once PPCs get dialed down; they only adjusted the damage from before, and it seems like they haven't even touched the actual behavior of the missiles since the patch that made them ridiculous.

LRMs do need adjustments and buffs, absolutely, but PGI needs to make changes that are something other than just whether or not LRM grouping makes them useless or ridiculous. For one, they need arcs for direct fire and indirect fire, instead of trying to make one arc that does both jobs. For direct fire, a fast, flat arc that doesn't give a target 15-20 seconds to hit cover, but without stupidly-narrow fire groupings (maybe 40/30/30 spread across 3 panels, with the closest panel to the shooter taking most of the damage). For indirect fire, a slower, loftier arc, where the missiles hit some altitude above the target and then drop downward with more scatter, but better chance to hit the mech in general.

Giving people the option to toggle means they've got LRMs that work for both serious direct combat and hitting people behind cover with a spotter. The current mix of low speed and a crappy arc makes LRMs way too situational under the best of circumstances; let people control the missile behavior in response to those circumstances and maybe we'll start seeing builds somewhere between "LRMs are dumb, don't have any" and "fifty million LRMs because that's how many you need".

EDIT: And just to make sure, I jumped on Training Grounds with non-Artemis LRM5 and LRM10 and double Artemis LRM20. Artemis or not, LRMs are showing an aggressiveness in targeting CTs that is almost identical to streaks. And with Artemis, the trait is even worse; a triple salvo of Artemis LRM20 cores the Training Ground Atlas without even stripping the side torso sections of armor.

EDIT EDIT: Holy shit, even DUMBFIRING LRMs causes the damage to hit the CT almost exclusively. Double Artemis LRM20 to the arm and side torso of an Atlas with no lock at all? The Atlas STILL ends up cored before a single other component gets stripped of armor, even with the CT taking not more than one or two direct hits a salvo.

Yeah, LRMs are ABSOLUTELY still in a busted state, we just don't see it because PPCs are way more broken.

First of all, your first problem is the Jager, a mech that has a pretty straight forward open CT and ST's, which has the same problem as a CPT, while in comparison, I can torso twist quite efficiently in my Highlander and DRG's and CN9's and essentially not give two fucks about LRM's hitting my CT.

2nd, You tested on the training grounds, that is extremely skeptical because Training Ground mechs to begin with are quite frankly, not worthy as proof. In addition you tested in a environment that I specifically stated above. "If you stand still and take a volley, of course it's going to hit center mass, but if you are moving it will hit you appropriately." Training Ground testing is not very efficient nor does it rarely give accurate results to real world gameplay.

Finally, once again, you are testing against a non-moving mech, something that is once again, of course going to take full CT damage when you don't do anything to mitigate it. I can personally tell you that torso twisting in ANY AS7 will in-fact allow your CT to be safe at the expense of whatever side you decide to give up.
    BillGates on
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • Forbe!Forbe! NEAPOLITAN Registered User regular
    JOIN VENT FOR PRE-MONDAY ROBOT BATTLES
    qGGUP02.png
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Why not, I'll hop on for a bit.
    faranguzps2bcfb917.png
    SO THERE I WAS BEING FARANGU

AND THEN BURNAGE CAME UP TO ME AND SAID "HEY FARANGU, HOW ABOUT LETTING THE MAFIA WIN THIS TIME?"

AND I SAID "FUCK YOU I'M FARANGU"

AND THEN HE SAID "WHAT ABOUT MAKING THE VILLAGE LESS POWERFUL?"

AND I SAID "FUCK YOU I'M FARANGU"

AND THEN I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF PHALLAS

I LOVE MY LIFE.
    edited May 2013

First of all, your first problem is the Jager, a mech that has a pretty straight forward open CT and ST's, which has the same problem as a CPT, while in comparison, I can torso twist quite efficiently in my Highlander and DRG's and CN9's and essentially not give two fucks about LRM's hitting my CT.

2nd, You tested on the training grounds, that is extremely skeptical because Training Ground mechs to begin with are quite frankly, not worthy as proof. In addition you tested in a environment that I specifically stated above. "If you stand still and take a volley, of course it's going to hit center mass, but if you are moving it will hit you appropriately." Training Ground testing is not very efficient nor does it rarely give accurate results to real world gameplay.

Finally, once again, you are testing against a non-moving mech, something that is once again, of course going to take full CT damage when you don't do anything to mitigate it. I can personally tell you that torso twisting in ANY AS7 will in-fact allow your CT to be safe at the expense of whatever side you decide to give up.

It doesn't matter how much you'd like to dismiss repeatable, legitimate results, the fact is that the LRM targeting/damage code is fucked up. Hitting an Atlas in the side torso without locking on SHOULD NOT be dealing the majority of the damage to the CT. Ever. And dismissing the Training Ground mechs as targets as unreliable is pure goosery; the Training Ground stock Atlas has ninety-fucking-four armor on the CT (also verifiable fact) and around 60 on the side torsos, which means that any missiles striking the side torso should break those sections long, long before the CT goes. Instead, the exact opposite happens, with both homing and dumbfire shots. It takes around 120 damage to break the CT of the Training Ground Atlas D (also verified), and 5 Artemis LRM20 salvos will guarantee a coring without breaking either side torso section, which means that upwards of 90% of that damage is hitting the CT. That's pretty broken.

Shit, you can shoot mechs in the legs with dumbfire LRMs and the CT still soaks up a huge amount of the damage. You can core mechs from behind with LRMs right now. Saying that it doesn't count because the mechs aren't moving is flat ridiculous, because they don't even need to be looking at you to get cored by LRMs.

And why the hell should LRMs be hitting just the CT just because something is standing still? That doesn't make any sense at all, because the shooter is still doing nothing to deal that CT damage. And the LRMs perform the exact same way whether the shooter is moving or not; a moving target isn't going to matter unless it's with a light, because the LRMs are dealing the wrong damage the EXACT same way regardless of where they're hitting on the front of a mech.

LRMs are operating on broken code. Period. End of story. This is verifiable fact; you don't even have a theoretical leg to stand on here. The only reason PPCs are winning the OP metagame right now is because they don't get stopped by ECM, they don't have to deal with lock time, and PGI dropped LRM damage enough so that it takes more than a volley to kill most mechs. But the code that was making LRMs broken? Still absolutely broken, it's just broken with lower damage values.

This isn't even a debate. This is somebody trying to argue that the sky is any color other than blue.
    Ninja Snarl P on