Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It isn't an 'infinite heat grace' you shut down for a % based time of how much you went over so a six PPC stalker alpha striking on 90-99% would shut down for a very long time unless they have changed that recently.

I mean i can see increasing the 'shut down cool-off' period but i'm not really in favour of just out-right killing people for it.
    Heroth on
    heroth-s.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Increase ppc heat to 10. Make the engine sinks 1.4 and outer build sinks 2 (or 1.4 still). Energy boating more or less goes away without new heat sink mechanics.
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »
    It isn't an 'infinite heat grace' you shut down for a % based time of how much you went over so a six PPC stalker alpha striking on 90-99% would shut down for a very long time unless they have changed that recently.

I mean i can see increasing the 'shut down cool-off' period but i'm not really in favour of just out-right killing people for it.

You are shutdown for the duration of time it takes for your mech to hit below 100% heat level. If you over heat to 120% and it takes 8 seconds for you to get back to below 100% then you will shutdown for 8 seconds.

The only exception to this, is there is a hard cool down time of 2 seconds, so if you over heat to 101% and it takes less then a second to get below 100% then you will stay shutdown for 2 seconds. It takes one second for the "powering down" part of overheating and one second for the "powering on" part of overheating. That is where the hard cool down time of 2 seconds comes from.

In general, I suggest we stay away from altering heat mechanics just to satisfy the issue of PPC's.
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Increase ppc heat to 10. Make the engine sinks 1.4 and outer build sinks 2 (or 1.4 still). Energy boating more or less goes away without new heat sink mechanics.

And when everyone starts boating Ballistics? although this is likely to start happening anyway when they nerf PPC's since the main thing that stymied them in the past was the wonky hit detection with them but with HSR and slight ballistic buffs...

this isn't really an 'energy boating' problem its *one* weapon, the PPC, that is really causing all this furor.
    heroth-s.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    I would like to see a slim margin because it would encourage some risk-taking without allowing people to mass-strike heavy energy weapons without any real penalties. People could fire that MLAS or two without obliterating themselves if they're at a high heat level, but if they kept the heat up at that level without letting it come under control, they still end up taking damage at 105-110% heat. Really, it would be about the same thing we have now with overriding the shutdown sequence, except you wouldn't be safe simply by dropping your heat below X% within so many seconds; hit a limit for heat, and the damage starts up no matter what.

But if they punch it with all their guns for a kill to push for a kill and they were already at high heat, yeah, mech melting time. If somebody overrides and does that, with heat pushing past 115-120% or somethign like that, the damage should be pretty severe, if not crippling/lethal. If they do it and shut down, they'll still take damage, but they might be able to come away without anything too severe.

Basically, I just want to see more tradeoffs with the heat system beyond "totally fine excess heat" and "oh shit, my eyebrows are on fire and I'm exploding". There needs to be some kind of safety margin, though, because otherwise lots of people are going to blow themselves up and not even understand why.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
    I would like to see a slim margin because it would encourage some risk-taking without allowing people to mass-strike heavy energy weapons without any real penalties. People could fire that MLAS or two without obliterating themselves if they're at a high heat level, but if they kept the heat up at that level without letting it come under control, they still end up taking damage at 105-110% heat. Really, it would be about the same thing we have now with overriding the shutdown sequence, except you wouldn't be safe simply by dropping your heat below X% within so many seconds; hit a limit for heat, and the damage starts up no matter what.

But if they punch it with all their guns for a kill to push for a kill and they were already at high heat, yeah, mech melting time. If somebody overrides and does that, with heat pushing past 115-120% or somethign like that, the damage should be pretty severe, if not crippling/lethal. If they do it and shut down, they'll still take damage, but they might be able to come away without anything too severe.

Basically, I just want to see more tradeoffs with the heat system beyond "totally fine excess heat" and "oh shit, my eyebrows are on fire and I'm exploding". There needs to be some kind of safety margin, though, because otherwise lots of people are going to blow themselves up and not even understand why.

There is, it's called 80% to 90%. That is the safety origin. It would make less sense from someone just starting this game wondering why they can above 100% and not be worried then it would be at 80% and 90%.

The risk taking is in the game, you either overheat and shutdown or you override and risk killing yourself. Thats a risky decision.

If whatever PGI has in store for the PPC is not enough of a nerf then maybe then they can look at a altering a entire mechanic simply to address the balance of one weapon. Which is quite a drastic balance change, affecting who knows what else.

The risk v reward factor for changing the heat system is not good enough to warrant it.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Is it not possible to simply make PPCs larger/heavier? If even non-clan lights are running around with dual PPCs, which again I don't remember seeing in previous MW games, then maybe the problem is simply size.
    Akilae wrote: »
    Is it not possible to simply make PPCs larger/heavier? If even non-clan lights are running around with dual PPCs, which again I don't remember seeing in previous MW games, then maybe the problem is simply size.

They are trying to address the issues without causing them to lose canon accuracy. This could be a viable solution but I don't think PGI wants to go that route in order to preserve the canon nature of PPC's.

Now, being able to mount PPC's on almost any mech is an entire different question.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    BillGates wrote: »
    Akilae wrote: »

They are trying to address the issues without causing them to lose canon accuracy. This could be a viable solution but I don't think PGI wants to go that route in order to preserve the canon nature of PPC's.

Now, being able to mount PPC's on almost any mech is an entire different question.

It's worth noting, I fucked around in the mechlab temporarily bumping PPC's tonnage up by 1. It basically didn't effect any builds appreciably. They're going to have to balance them along a heat/cooldown/rate of fire angle. I don't think tonnage works. Crit slots may, but I doubt we see that.
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    PPCs are the premiere example of why it is absolutely necessary to extensively modify the TT values when switching to a MW game with player-controlled aim. If you compare AC/10s and PPCs, PPCs get significantly longer range, infinite ammo, lower weight (half or less when you factor in AC/10 ammo), less than half the crits, zero vulnerability from exploding ammo, and faster projectiles. Basically, there's a lot more there that needs to be fixed than just bumping up weight value. At least 2-3 different traits would need noticeable modification if PPCs were to be kept viable when taken alone or in pairs but without neutering PPCs to total uselessness. The mechs that are abusing PPCs the worst aren't even going to notice losing 4-5 tons for heavier PPCs.

That's assuming PGI doesn't use a more complex approach to code like massively ramping up heat for PPC alpha strikes while still letting single/paired PPCs be nice and useful.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
  • KayKay Registered User regular
    Oooh, is that a Blackjack in the fishnet camo?

Looks better than I was expecting, if so.
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Oooh, is that a Blackjack in the fishnet camo?

Looks better than I was expecting, if so.

It is and does.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular

I totally agree with the "tick" of heat damage before the mech shuts down. That adds a disincentive to blowing 6 PPCs when you're a couple degrees off your melting point. Plus, it avoids the squishy penalty range @Heroth mentions without needlessly inflating the heat range.

As-is, the system is too forgiving to boating idiots, but I'd like to keep the current system as much as possible.
    oosiksig.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    PPCs are the premiere example of why it is absolutely necessary to extensively modify the TT values when switching to a MW game with player-controlled aim. If you compare AC/10s and PPCs, PPCs get significantly longer range, infinite ammo, lower weight (half or less when you factor in AC/10 ammo), less than half the crits, zero vulnerability from exploding ammo, and faster projectiles. Basically, there's a lot more there that needs to be fixed than just bumping up weight value. At least 2-3 different traits would need noticeable modification if PPCs were to be kept viable when taken alone or in pairs but without neutering PPCs to total uselessness. The mechs that are abusing PPCs the worst aren't even going to notice losing 4-5 tons for heavier PPCs.

That's assuming PGI doesn't use a more complex approach to code like massively ramping up heat for PPC alpha strikes while still letting single/paired PPCs be nice and useful.

They already modified PPCs from the table top by giving them a 20% heat reduction and they reduced ERPPCs heat by 25%.That is a HUGE buff. Undo those buffs, and maybe increase their cooldown times and that leaves the table top values intact while balancing the weapons for the game.
    steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Heroth wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

And when everyone starts boating Ballistics? although this is likely to start happening anyway when they nerf PPC's since the main thing that stymied them in the past was the wonky hit detection with them but with HSR and slight ballistic buffs...

this isn't really an 'energy boating' problem its *one* weapon, the PPC, that is really causing all this furor.

No, everyone won't just start boating ballistics. For one, ballistics are much heavier when you include ammo weight. Something like a JM6-S can run 4 PPCs with 18 DHS and an XL300 for a long-range 40pt pinpoint alpha and pretty easily managed heat. You can only fit quad-AC5s on that same mech and you only get 4 tons of ammo. The only mech that can come close to a similar ballistic boat is a triple AC10 Ilya, and that's only because you have an extra 5 tons to work with, otherwise you wouldn't have room for any ammo. And that brings us to the second reason ballistic boats won't be a problem, the mech chassis that are even remotely capable to serve as ballistic boats are extremely limited since pretty much all of them (and there are only a couple) with more than 2 ballistic hardpoints have them in the arms. If we ever get an 80+ tonner with single ballistic hardpoints in each arm and side torso (and I'm not even sure such a thing exists in canon), then you can start worrying about ballistic boats.
    TheCanMan on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @Mvrck 112 more incoming. Got some nice night fight shots this time. I'm surprised at some of the shots and how dramatic they feel, completely unexpected.

my Death Knell finally has a use! makes a great camera man.
    HydroSqueegee on
    n90uZGq.png

They already modified PPCs from the table top by giving them a 20% heat reduction and they reduced ERPPCs heat by 25%.That is a HUGE buff. Undo those buffs, and maybe increase their cooldown times and that leaves the table top values intact while balancing the weapons for the game.

I remember Awesomes that would boat 6 PPCs. they would wreck you if they hit, but would be shutdown for 30+ seconds. I would love to see PPC heat back to where it was.
    n90uZGq.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    Check Bryan's Twitter again! There's a hotfix for the HUD bugs going out!
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.

I remember Awesomes that would boat 6 PPCs. they would wreck you if they hit, but would be shutdown for 30+ seconds. I would love to see PPC heat back to where it was.

The noisy cricket is still one of the best things I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUzhO1TiAc
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    I never thought I'd see the day that I agree with BillGates, but I do. The heat mechanics work really well where they are right now (and this is coming from someone who primarily boats lasers and has killed himself by operating above 100%).
    C2hmw6F.png
    TheCanMan wrote: »

ok... thats pretty silly, and bullshit at the same time. they need to jack heat back up so things work like this again. massive heat.
    n90uZGq.png
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day that I agree with BillGates, but I do. The heat mechanics work really well where they are right now (and this is coming from someone who primarily boats lasers and has killed himself by operating above 100%).

I dunno if someone's mentioned this, but another solution might be to take an idea from laser balancing. Doing the PPC "alphastrike then take a nap" cheese still dumps the full damage on your target. But an overheated laser will stop firing mid-shot.

Maybe PPCs should do hugely reduced damage if you shutdown when they're fired? Some kind of thermal overload inefficiency, I guess. It would help make boating more difficult.
    oosiksig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire lasers pew pew pew Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Last night we ran into not one, not two, but many Miseries boating 3-4 PPCs with a Gauss in tow. Sure they're slow and super heat inefficient, but that 55 damage alpha man. MAN. Plus with the Gauss they still have a 15 point backup while they're waiting to cool down, unlike the 5-6 PPC Stalker boats.

Smaller mechs get insta-cored, and Assault mechs start losing entire sections in one shot. One game on River City, a Misery (with 2 other Stalker friends for backup) just completely decimated our team with 7 kills. Not even that much damage, because we were dying too fast :?

That PPC nerf can't come fast enough.
    CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, Planetside 2, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • KayKay Registered User regular
    Does this mean I'm a bad person if I run around with a dual ERPPC TBT-5J or CPLT-K2?
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    Does this mean I'm a bad person if I run around with a dual ERPPC TBT-5J or CPLT-K2?
    Dual PPC K2 is fairly standard, so no. You'd only be a bad person if you quad PPC a K2.

For reference, I dual PPC CDAs, dual PPC the Ilya, and sometimes quad PPC one of my STKs.
  • NipsNips Registered User regular

If that makes you a bad man, I'm right there with you in my TBT-7M.
    capnnips_zps3f07c896.png
    capnnips in MWO
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

If that makes you a bad man, I'm right there with you in my TBT-7M.

And my dual ERPPC + dual LPLas AWS-8Q would like to say "hi"....but he's too busy being a smoldering wreck because he's the size of a barn and got alpha'd to death.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular

ok... thats pretty silly, and bullshit at the same time. they need to jack heat back up so things work like this again. massive heat.

That is hilarious, and if I could mod the game to actually play the Jeopardy music when I shut down I would do it. But I'd have to say part of his success there is some pretty lucky or well-placed shots. His teammates are tearing the enemy 'mechs up and he's just the one who gets in the 1-2 salvos that finish them off.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Dual PPC K2 is fairly standard, so no. You'd only be a bad person if you quad PPC a K2.

For reference, I dual PPC CDAs, dual PPC the Ilya, and sometimes quad PPC one of my STKs.

Like I've said before, two PPC's is totally reasonable. It's just three or more that starts getting silly.
    steam_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    I'm rather surprised you guys aren't more excited by the HUD bug hotfix going out today.
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm rather surprised you guys aren't more excited by the HUD bug hotfix going out today.

If it's anything like the CTD bug hotfix, I think I'll reserve my excitement for the time being. ;)
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Apyss-sig.png
    FYI: Image above links to my webcomic, and is (mostly) SFW. Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular

I posted yesterday that it was going to happen and nobody seemed to notice then either. :P

But maybe people are just apathetic because there have been several previous hotfixes that didn't fix the issues they were supposed to address.
    steam_sig.png
    Gaslight wrote: »

I posted yesterday that it was going to happen and nobody seemed to notice then either. :P

But maybe people are just apathetic because there have been several previous hotfixes that didn't fix the issues they were supposed to address.

I mean, I personally haven't had a CTD since it was patched. So I'm super excited.
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
    Perhaps just addressing PPC's in general before attempting to address the heat mechanics would be better off. Honestly most boats run super hot to begin with, so increasing the heat is a major blow and if you want to really make them lick there wounds add a higher CD.

PGI also expressed they have in the works a solution to the poptartting problem. The current rumor is that they will introduce a new mechanic that is aimed specifically at poptarts. If you have high heat then your jump jets will not be as effective in providing thrust unless you keep your heat at a certain threshold. No word if this threshold is a clear point, say 60%, or variable depending on the amount of JJ's you have equipped. The former would be simpler for the player but the latter could introduce some unique gameplay.

I'm sure PGI has alot on there plate and throwing in the remake of a mechanic that has been pretty solid since Alpha is nothing to take lightly, for them or us, and if they go with the above poptart change, they are sort of messing with heat levels that way.

So if both of those changes go through in some shape or form PPC Boating and the poptartting of PPC boats, should become much less frequent.

It's also worthy to note that boating with ballistics is much more difficult because the rarity of having more then one ballistic slot on many, many mechs.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
    edited May 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »

That is hilarious, and if I could mod the game to actually play the Jeopardy music when I shut down I would do it. But I'd have to say part of his success there is some pretty lucky or well-placed shots. His teammates are tearing the enemy 'mechs up and he's just the one who gets in the 1-2 salvos that finish them off.

I think my favorite part of that video is when he starts free-looking around at the cockpit controls. I can hear him thinking "come on...any minute now...". lol
    TheCanMan on
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/117769-hud-bug-brief/

The technical breakdown of things. More. Please.
    mvrck.png
    At this point I think it's safe to slap the ever loving shit out of anyone that claims that PGI doesn't listen/doesn't care/lies/etc. There's just no excuse for that level of goosery anymore.
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

The technical breakdown of things. More. Please.

So much of this is over my head, but I love this sort of stuff :D
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh god, a large meaty explanation. So delicious. <3 PGI.

Edit: >.< I refreshed before posting and nothing showed up yet I still got beat. >.<
    Stabbity Style on
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle