Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    At this point I think it's safe to slap the ever loving shit out of anyone that claims that PGI doesn't listen/doesn't care/lies/etc. There's just no excuse for that level of goosery anymore.

I like to think that stuff like this gives people an insight into how complicated these games can be, and hopefully before they make a "WTF why does it take them so long to fix a simple HUD issue?" that they may instead take a moment and realize that a lot goes in to even something as "simple" as a HUD.

Of course in reality those people tend to just gloss over explanations like this in their rush to their next absurd statement to make but I can dream :(
    Delphinidaes on
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Also, after reading that, those guys deserve a pizza party or something. Like, holy crap, I'm not a programmer, but that sounded particularly difficult to find.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also, after reading that, those guys deserve a pizza party or something. Like, holy crap, I'm not a programmer, but that sounded particularly difficult to find.

Yeah, that sounds just fucking awful. Some of the shit I've been dealing with in Drupal has me running in circles, shaking my head going "what the fuck is wrong here?" (For example, when doing a field call last night, it would randomly break midway through. In theory in PHP you should be able to call it like:

Variable = Field->Subfield1->Subfield2->Subfield3->etc. Instead after 1, it would break and require the call to be formatted as Field->Subfield1->[Subfield2][3][etc.] to retrieve the actual data value.

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no reason for that to be happening, and really error code or indication of what it would be (if you have the call formatted wrong, it just prints out an empty string). This is a fairly large bug with a fairly simple, widely adopted language, and it was still baffling and hard to diagnose.

PGI is trying to find and fix bugs that maybe one or two other development teams have even a chance at seeing, working through probably hundreds of thousands of lines of code. I'm guessing the only reason one of them hasn't gone on a murderous rampage at the Crytek offices is the general inability to clear customs with firearms.
    Mvrck on
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    I have been saying that for months! :P
    C2hmw6F.png
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Wow that HUD bug really was in the core of the games internal structure itself, not even on PGI's level. The libraries themselves were causing these issues, something that libraries just don't do. Scaleform and STL Port are literally used in almost all graphic intensive application that requires user input on a significant level (Games, 3D modeling, Photoshop tools, etc).

I can see why it took them so long to discover it, libraries are literally the last thing you check for with errors.
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    Actually, the most hilarious thing, is how they found other super critical "wtf is going on here" bugs while doing this...that weren't at all the cause of any issues.
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
    edited May 2013
    For reference, here is Scaleform from Autodesk with a quick video of how Scaleform works and interacts in games, specifically.

Edit - If you watch the video, the narrator talks about how Dead Space did this UI, its important to note that Scaleform was NOT used for Dead Space. If you want a list of games that use Scaleform, refer to the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaleform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDuzVbi50Q
    BillGates on
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • tuxkamentuxkamen Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/117769-hud-bug-brief/

The technical breakdown of things. More. Please.

I think I need to fan myself after reading that (because I'm in the middle of trying to bore down on something similarly obfuscated).

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    We should all take this as an object lesson going forward: sometimes this shit really, really is in the bedrock of the game and almost impossible to find, so the devs deserve some slack.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i feel as if ive developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome with the hud bugs. farewell bugs. :(

ts like your kid growing up and moving into the big scary world. :(

ill miss you, you random quirky irritations.
    n90uZGq.png
    3clipse wrote: »
    We should all take this as an object lesson going forward: sometimes this shit really, really is in the bedrock of the game and almost impossible to find, so the devs deserve some slack.

I think people get the idea "Of course things can be hard to find" but maybe not the true understanding of just how hard. Like when you mention that something affects a million people, they get the idea, they understand that a million people is a "lot", but can't actually wrap their head around what 1 million people actually looks like, and the sheer scope of that number.

Just as an example of course. There is a disconnect between the two.

t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    So I've been dinking around some more, trying to squeeze a little more usefulness out of my CTF-4X. What I've found is that quad-AC2, while making a satisfying sound, requires more ammo than I'm happy with to bring down anything bigger than a Cicada. Here's what I've come up with (as soon as I can get the cbills to buy them, I'm going to get the mandatory DHSes to keep myself from overheating every two kills), but could use some feedback on the build: Navarone [CTF-4X]: 2xUAC/5, 2xAC/2, SLAS, 200STD, Endo
  • XandarXandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The problem is, the bug wasn't in their code. Which speaking from experience is: a) typical and b) at least 10X as hard to find as your own fuck-ups. Detailed posts like that definitly get them major points in my book though as it shows just how dirty fixing this shit is....
    Xandar on
    OsokC8u.png
    To all those interested,

Tonight at 9 PM EST I will be streaming Mechwarrior Online Fixed HUD Warrior Online on the official Oosik stream located at http://outreachnews.net/stream

Come watch as I slaughter and sometimes be slaughtered. Hopefully more of the former!
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
    The Blackjack looks AMAZING.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • grouch993grouch993 Registered User regular
    I see zero difference in the ItemStats.xml file. If they made any flamer changes they are not reflected in the file.
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    I am pretty positive they didn't do anything this time but the HUD fix. It was never billed as anything else, was it?
    steam_sig.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard GO DIGITIGRADE OR GO HOME Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    I see zero difference in the ItemStats.xml file. If they made any flamer changes they are not reflected in the file.

The balance changes mentioned for the flamer I am pretty sure are for the patch on the 21st.
    FWUfbMk.png
    What tonnage range is the Blackjack in? It looks cool and I've got a good amount of cbills saved up. Might be fun to pick up.
    t7pXRdE.png
    edited May 2013
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So I've been dinking around some more, trying to squeeze a little more usefulness out of my CTF-4X. What I've found is that quad-AC2, while making a satisfying sound, requires more ammo than I'm happy with to bring down anything bigger than a Cicada. Here's what I've come up with (as soon as I can get the cbills to buy them, I'm going to get the mandatory DHSes to keep myself from overheating every two kills), but could use some feedback on the build: Navarone [CTF-4X]: 2xUAC/5, 2xAC/2, SLAS, 200STD, Endo

too slow to be effective. you need to be somewhat mobile to reposition where the action is and make yourself useful. the 4X NEEDS an XL255 to be useful. toss in 4 AC5s and 2ML.
    alternately 2 AC10s or 2 Gauss.

trust me. im a 4Xpert.
    HydroSqueegee on
    n90uZGq.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard GO DIGITIGRADE OR GO HOME Registered User regular
    What tonnage range is the Blackjack in? It looks cool and I've got a good amount of cbills saved up. Might be fun to pick up.

Blackjack is 45 tons, probably heavy on the ballistic hard points.
    FWUfbMk.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The BJ is 45 tons. The stock models are light-armored and jump jets. I would expect the BJ-1 Blackjack (2 AC2, 4 MLs), the BJ-2 (2 ERLL, 4 Streak 2s), and the BJ-3 Blackjack (2 PPCs, 4 MLs).
    kaliyama on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So, which HUD bug did they fix? The repeated text one? The IFF one? One of the other ones?
    camo_sig2.png

i got burned on the trebuchet. ill wait and see how the Blackjack does.
    n90uZGq.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, which HUD bug did they fix? The repeated text one? The IFF one? One of the other ones?

ALL of them
    n90uZGq.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

too slow to be effective. you need to be somewhat mobile to reposition where the action is and make yourself useful. the 4X NEEDS an XL255 to be useful. toss in 4 AC5s and 2ML.
    alternately 2 AC10s or 2 Gauss.

trust me. im a 4Xpert.

I've usually been pretty wary about putting an XL in anything that has huge panels for ST sections...but I might need to shove in a spare XL in order to actually get some semblance of mobility on this platform.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire lasers pew pew pew Registered User regular

ALL of them

Yeah, they were all related to the same bugged function call related to Scaleform (Flash UI engine) and how it interacts with CryEngine.
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, Planetside 2, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited May 2013

The bug in question basically cause the HUD to create a random error. So this fix should actually resolve all HUD issues.

i got burned on the trebuchet. ill wait and see how the Blackjack does.

Meh it's just cbills, and I like my Trebuchet :D
    Delphinidaes on
    t7pXRdE.png
  • NipsNips Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I just noticed the Blackjack looks like a baby Jager wearing a swim ring:
    463a565e65f3073341093a0dffe54c95.jpg

Dawwwwww. 8-> It makes me want to call him "Tubby", but in a cute-but-not-condescending way.

And insofar as that crazy bug-squashing-explaining post: Holy Crap. I mean, I just gave PGI some money last weekend, and now I want to keep throwing money at them for things like this.
    capnnips_zps3f07c896.png
    capnnips in MWO
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Note to self, do not put an XL in the Blackjack. Those side torsos!
    Campy on
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The classic Blackjack comes with a standard 180 engine. That's a pre-speed-tweak speed of 64.8 kph. Of course you're going to have to make sacrifices if you want to put lots of heavy weapons on a 45 ton mech. The high arm placement coupled with the lack of lower arm and hand actuators should make for some interesting and varied builds.

I'm curious to see how many people decide to get BJs on the day they're released :winky:
    m!ttens on
    vuHb1cM.png
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    The BJ is 45 tons. The stock models are light-armored and jump jets. I would expect the BJ-1 Blackjack (2 AC2, 4 MLs), the BJ-2 (2 ERLL, 4 Streak 2s), and the BJ-3 Blackjack (2 PPCs, 4 MLs).

Should also be noted all of the stock models are SLOW for the weight, 64kp/h. That's going to be the biggest handicap of the chassis.
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, TOG, I'm reading that announcement reaction thread you posted in. Ugh.

Edit: Also, the new sigs are fucking with my eyes on their forum. That dark blue is doing something weird with that white.
    Stabbity Style on
  • KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    I appreciate mechs that have easily created nicknames. Remember, you saw KablamaJack here first. (UltraJack is quite amusing too) ((wonder what we can use HiJack for-- poptarters?))
    Petra_zpsfdc60b14.png
    edited May 2013
    If there was any possible positive to the HUD bugs, it was that going into battle with a less-than-fully-functional 'mech did sometimes give a little lore-appropriate flavor of being in a universe where everybody lost the know-how to build all the really cool stuff a few hundred years ago and shit just randomly breaks when your techs haven't said enough toaster prayers while installing the spit and baling wire, and you just have to do the best you can.

Actually some guys on the official forums (facetiously) put it pretty well:
    I always thought they could "fix it" by simply adding a message during startup..

"Initialiasiing Heads Up Computer. 8% chance of failure detected in internal systems"
    "All systems not nominal!" - mech systems damaged by drunk mechanic

Only to really be true to the lore, it wouldn't just be parts of your HUD spazzing out, it would be more like...you engine heat sinks need an overhaul so some of them only work at half capacity, and the armor on your left torso had to be patched in a hurry after that lucky AC/10 hit so it's not as resilient as it ought to be, and and and...
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Ripper Jack
    Colby Jack
    Jumping Jack
    Car Jack
    Phone Jack
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    also about a million fellatio references
    I support calling poptarting Blackjacks Jumping Jacks.
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    BlackJack with MGs.

The Biter.
    docshifty.png