Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    BillGates wrote: »
    I uhh, when I poptart, i don't do a "all" in poptart.

Depending on the chassis I'm on, the worst I think I carry is on my 733P which is 2 LLAS and 2 PPC's and 3 SSRM's.

I recently started using a new 733C build which i just LOVE. It's 2 UAC5, 1 ERPPC and 3 SSRM's.
    There is just something about UAC5's that I cant get over...just love them so much.

I even carry 2 UAC's in my YLW instead of a AC 20.

...Hello, my name is Bill and I have a auto-cannon problem.

As long as you dakka then you're doing it right.
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire lasers pew pew pew Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    UAC/5s are a solution in search of a problem.

And that problem is "how do I get the most DAKKA out of a single arm or torso section"?

Let me tell you, they solve that problem well.
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, Planetside 2, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Depending on the chassis I'm on, the worst I think I carry is on my 733P which is 2 LLAS and 2 PPC's and 3 SSRM's.

I recently started using a new 733C build which i just LOVE. It's 2 UAC5, 1 ERPPC and 3 SSRM's.
    There is just something about UAC5's that I cant get over...just love them so much.

But heres the catch....

I'm not a dakka follower.

I embrace the warmth of air that is superheated.

I think I'm double dipping.
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

But heres the catch....

I'm not a dakka follower.

I embrace the warmth of air that is superheated.

I think I'm double dipping.

The two beliefs are not mutually exclusive. For example, my twin UAC5/twin AC2 Cataphract basically turns into the human torch when I open up. Only by having an arm blown off (or having both UACs jam at the same time) will I not evaporate entire lakes at my touch.
    But...melting stuff is more fun.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    Dakka is fun, but there are very few things that can come close to the feeling of all your large lasers turning the enemy into a tiny supernova.

Embrace the glorious blue light of progress.

Green light can come too.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • OrickOrick Registered User regular
    I don't know about that. I think a lot guys here prefer blowing chunks off people instead. :winky:
    tl;dr, too busy pretending that I'M A DEATH STAR
    C2hmw6F.png
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    200px-DIN_4844-2_Warnung_vor_Laserstrahl_D-W010.svg.png

The believers meet every Heat-of-a-Thousand-Suns-day and sit in their pewpewpepws to hear the Holy Word of Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. The masses join in the chant, the beat driven by the pulse of wubwubwub in their ears, their bodies, their souls. Non-believers being held are often defiant, until they hear the invocation, "Imma firin' mah lazor" as the icy chill in their heart almost instantly flashes into a pile of superheated carbon.
    vuHb1cM.png
  • OrickOrick Registered User regular
    Are there 9 different colours for lasers?

Is it possible to make a rainbow laser boat?
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Registered User regular
    Just rgb
    damoonrulz_zpse43446fb.png
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
    edited May 2013
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dakka is fun, but there are very few things that can come close to the feeling of all your large lasers turning the enemy into a tiny supernova.

Embrace the glorious blue light of progress.

Green light can come too.

This reminds me of a question I had while messing around in the mechlab. What is the general consensus regarding something like this: Big Blue [AWS-8Q]: 6xLLAS, 270STD, DHS ? I have a feeling if I switch to ES I should be able to squeeze a bigger engine (thereby increasing the heat efficiency a little) and maybe toss in another DHS or two. But, like I said, this was just me messing around in the mechlab with my 2xLPLas, 2xERPPC, AMS AWS-8Q.
    Erlkönig on
    You can do the same thing with more many more DHSs and/or a bigger engine in a Stalker, I'd go that route.
    C2hmw6F.png
    Couple of us in Vent. Pile in.
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
    3clipse wrote: »
    You can do the same thing with more many more DHSs and/or a bigger engine in a Stalker, I'd go that route.

While I'm sure this is quite true, I don't have a Stalker chassis (when I say I was "messing around in the mechlab", I'm talking about the in-game mechlab).
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Phew...

N0dsNmO.jpg

That was rough. I ended that match with a deep red CT and LT and missing my left arm. And a good half of that match was spent in vicious close quarters with 2 Dragons and a Pretty Baby while nursing a deep orange CT.

Gotta say, old Neptune (AWS-9M, 3xLLAS, ERPPC, XL385) is a pretty fun build.
    sXXjb1B.png
    I don't see how you can make AWS's work.

I fucking suck in them.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    You really have to pick your fights and ensure proper positioning while piloting an Awesome. You want to be a second-line fire support mech, and you want to pray to god there aren't any ppc boats on the other team, because otherwise your giant barn-sized torso sections are fucked.
    sXXjb1B.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    i try to line ip good shots and tell whoever it is to look sexy for the camera.

Make sure to tell them to slowly strip off plates of armor while you're at it. I mean, it is for ze arts!

thats what i tell all the young mechwarriors. ;)
    n90uZGq.png

Ultracat and Ultramets would like to have a word with you. :P
    n90uZGq.png
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular

I fucking suck in them.
    They key is to be awesome.

I'm only half-kidding; the chassis itself is pretty weak in most respects (the 9M is competitive in some roles) and you just have to play well to make up for it. Here's hoping they'll add some kind of BV or cost system so that there's reason to bring a suboptimal 'mech.

Also, Erl: never drive an AWS without a maxed-out engine. Do whatever you have to do to fit a 300 in there. Use an XL if you have to, drop weapons if you have to--just make it happen. The "standard" 6xLLAS build on the AWS-8Q uses endo, a standard 300, and 18 DHS. You'll have to pull some leg armor. If you don't want to use Endo, you can try my laser 8Q build--use 3 LLAS, 4 MLAS, a standard 300, 21 DHS, and a BAP (you end up with a ton and a half left over; might as well). Each LLAS is paired with a MLAS so you don't end up with "wasted" crits hanging around in those locations.
    MWO User Name: Gorn Arming
    StarCraft II User Name: DeadMenRise
    edited May 2013
    i spent ALL day uploading this video. A perfect example as to why PPCs need "fixed".

http://youtu.be/PsPDmud4zPg

edit: BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! I didnt realize the douchbag PPC boating stalker i rushed and killed was CarbOnFire! killing both him and Woodstock makes that match even more delicious!
    HydroSqueegee on
    n90uZGq.png
    I played a few games and ended up with no obvious bugs--on the other hand, I was repeatedly crushed like a bug due to the other team having 5 assaults to our 2.

Still, losing to the fat kids is less frustrating than losing because I can't fucking see anything, so it's a net improvement.
    *puts down hostess snack* You got a prob with fatties?

I fucking suck in them.
    Also, Erl: never drive an AWS without a maxed-out engine. Do whatever you have to do to fit a 300 in there. Use an XL if you have to, drop weapons if you have to--just make it happen. The "standard" 6xLLAS build on the AWS-8Q uses endo, a standard 300, and 18 DHS. You'll have to pull some leg armor. If you don't want to use Endo, you can try my laser 8Q build--use 3 LLAS, 4 MLAS, a standard 300, 21 DHS, and a BAP (you end up with a ton and a half left over; might as well). Each LLAS is paired with a MLAS so you don't end up with "wasted" crits hanging around in those locations.

This. Absolutely this. In fact, I hope they increase the engine limits for the slower variants in the future.
    sXXjb1B.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire lasers pew pew pew Registered User regular
    edit: BAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! I didnt realize the douchbag PPC boating stalker i rushed and killed was CarbOnFire! killing both him and Woodstock makes that match even more delicious!

Yeah, guilty as charged. Wasn't fast enough to cover the open ground without getting picked apart by your ample PPC snipers, and most of my team went to go chase that damn Spider back to base, so I was stuck without backup.

I've since changed that build to a 2 LLAS, 2 PPC, 4 SSRM2 STK-3F, with decent results.
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, Planetside 2, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Looks to be fixed, and I didn't even have to clear my cache. :^:

So actually I miscalculated somewhere (for the better): if I go to 4xStreak with two tons of ammo and shave a little armor off the legs I can put my 300 back in.

[STK-3F]: 2xERPPC, 4xSSRM, 2xLPLS, 300STD, DHS, Endo

That is mighty tempting.

You've got no armor on your left arm. You're just not ever going to fit 16 DHSs into that without seriously crippling your armor, and 16 DHSs looks inadequate anyhow.

Where the hell did the armor go? :( Mech lab bug I guess.

But actually I had 16 DHS in the 255/4xSRM4 version of the build last night with only a little armor off the legs - I don't think I have ever been legged in the STK once, everybody targets the torso. And it was viable as long as I resisted the temptation to fire the PPC's and pulses together.

Doable with 17DHS and a 280... [STK-3F]: 2xERPPC, 4xSSRM, 2xLPLS, 280STD, DHS, Endo ...looks pretty good.
    Your build is schizophrenic. Most of the time when you run ERPPCs, you want them to avoid min-range, but you have LPL to cover your short range anyway. You should really swap either your ERPPCs or your LPLs for regular PPCs. Then you'll have either the ERPPCs or the LPLs for close range work and the PPCs for long range work.

When I boat, I run it 2xER+2xPPC. If you're really good on heat or have an excellent shot, you can then even opt to fire the ERs on the same target.
    Spectrum wrote: »

So actually I miscalculated somewhere (for the better): if I go to 4xStreak with two tons of ammo and shave a little armor off the legs I can put my 300 back in.

That is mighty tempting.

You've got no armor on your left arm. You're just not ever going to fit 16 DHSs into that without seriously crippling your armor, and 16 DHSs looks inadequate anyhow.

But actually I had 16 DHS in the 255/4xSRM4 version of the build last night with only a little armor off the legs - I don't think I have ever been legged in the STK once, everybody targets the torso. And it was viable as long as I resisted the temptation to fire the PPC's and pulses together.

Doable with 17DHS and a 280... [STK-3F]: 2xERPPC, 4xSSRM, 2xLPLS, 280STD, DHS, Endo ...looks pretty good.
    Your build is schizophrenic. Most of the time when you run ERPPCs, you want them to avoid min-range, but you have LPL to cover your short range anyway. You should really swap either your ERPPCs or your LPLs for regular PPCs. Then you'll have either the ERPPCs or the LPLs for close range work and the PPCs for long range work.

When I boat, I run it 2xER+2xPPC. If you're really good on heat or have an excellent shot, you can then even opt to fire the ERs on the same target.
    Yeah, LPLAS and ERPPCs don't really make much sense together. I've had some success with 2x ERPPC and 2x PPC, although usually when I'm doing the PPC thing I go all-in on vanilla PPCs and rely on positioning/teammates to keep Jenners from crawling up my exhaust port.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular

That is mighty tempting.

Well first of all, I find PPC boating distasteful and I'd rather not base a build on a meta imbalanced that will inevitably be changed.

As for your recommendations on pairs of ER and regular PPC's, it seems a little muddled to me. ER PPC's have no minimum range, so I'm supposed to reserve them for close range, while using the regular PPC's that can't reach as far at long range? Seems a little bass-ackwards to me, no offense. The ER in ER PPC ain't for nothing; with regular PPC's I am at a serious disadvantage against everyboat boating ER's and gauss on the big maps. Up close, I like the LPLS for their greater heat efficiency and the fact they're easier to use to fend off lights.

In short, 2xERPPC 2xLPLS everything has a clear role in my mind, whereas

2xERPPC 2xPPC, the standard PPC's seem redundant and

2xPPC 2xLPLS I am seriously handicapped in standoff fights.
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so I'm new to this and I am ready and willing to admit I suck, but I feel like some of the starter 'Mech loadouts aren't very good. The Hunchback with 2 medium lasers, 1 light laser, and 1 AC/2 doesn't seem to contribute much in a firefight.
    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

That is mighty tempting.

Well first of all, I find PPC boating distasteful and I'd rather not base a build on a meta imbalanced that will inevitably be changed.

As for your recommendations on pairs of ER and regular PPC's, it seems a little muddled to me. ER PPC's have no minimum range, so I'm supposed to reserve them for close range, while using the regular PPC's that can't reach as far at long range? Seems a little bass-ackwards to me, no offense. The ER in ER PPC ain't for nothing; with regular PPC's I am at a serious disadvantage against everyboat boating ER's and gauss on the big maps. Up close, I like the LPLS for their greater heat efficiency and the fact they're easier to use to fend off lights.

If you boat ERPPC+PPC
    You can use ER only as super long range
    PPC only at realistic ranges with ERs as extra punch when at super low heat
    ER at < 90 for close range protection.

You are completely disregarding heat efficiency. The ERPPC is literally the least heat efficient of all the real energy weapons. The PPC is actually equally as heat efficient as the Medium Laser. Two PPCs let you fire much more often without hiding waiting on heat than two ERs.

LPLs aren't really easier to use in fending off lights unless you are completely incapable of timing a circle or tracking a target. The fact that all you need is a single snapshot alpha to leg a light is invaluable compared to the LPL.

If you are mounting ERPPCs at all just dump the LPLs for literally any other weapon. Dump them for a bigger engine and more heat sinks, anything.
    Ok, so I'm new to this and I am ready and willing to admit I suck, but I feel like some of the starter 'Mech loadouts aren't very good. The Hunchback with 2 medium lasers, 1 light laser, and 1 AC/2 doesn't seem to contribute much in a firefight.
    Pretty much every stock mech loadout blows outside of the Champion Dragon.
    Spectrum on

That is mighty tempting.

The role of the standard PPCs is to add damage between 70 and around 650 meters. If you're near the top of your heat bar, and the target is within that range, you use the standard PPCs exclusively. If the target is either very far away or very close, you use the ER PPCs. If the target is within the standard PPC range envelope and you have the spare heat capacity, you alpha strike all of them for more damage.

I ran my 8Q this way for a while, and scored my personal best game with it.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'm new to this and I am ready and willing to admit I suck, but I feel like some of the starter 'Mech loadouts are garbage. A Hunchback with 2 medium lasers, 1 light laser, and 1 AC/2 doesn't seem to do diddly squat.

The problem is that you're using of the most weapon-vulnerable mechs in a balance stately which is HUGELY favoring long-range pinpoint damage. Under normal circumstances, you would be able to do plenty with a lone AC/20 by backing up the big guys, but currently, you're going to spend almost all of your time hiding from PPCs or getting the hump shot off.

Trial Jenner should be okay right now; it's a player-customized variant rather than a canon variant, so it's enormously better than the other trial mechs.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
    All the trial 'mech loadouts are garbage with the exception of the Jenner (which is a user-designed variant). Trial 'mechs in general are awful; even when they have a sensible configuration of weaponry they usually don't have double heat sinks and end up terrible because of it.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Ok, I feel a bit better now!
    JKKaAGp.png

Right now, my main limiting factor is one of cost. I don't play nearly enough to get the Cbills I need to mount new engines (yet). Well, I do...but I spend what I make on new Hunchbacks and upgrades for said Hunchbacks (and, every now and then, trying out new dakka builds on my Cataphract).
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    New record for me, I'll post the accompanying highlight video in a bit.

LiaD8cN.jpg
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @CycloneRanger, @Spectrum, I see what you guys are saying and I just tried it with 2xERPPC/2xPPC. It's effective but I'm not sure it's more effective then when I had 2xERPPC/2xLPLS though. I do think you're underselling the handiness of pulse lasers against fast moving targets. Perfectly timed and led snap alphas are great if you can pull them off but not everybody can do that consistently, and since I started this discussion by wondering if I should use Streaks over SRM4's, you can see I tend to prefer a weaker punch that's reliable over an all-or-nothing alpha damage.

Anyway, I still feel scuzzy boating PPC's and it's not something I want to make a habit of as I have to believe PGI is going to address the imbalance sooner or later. I would definitely try 2xERPPC/2xPPC on an Awesome though, that is one 'mech I wouldn't feel bad about peep-boating on as that is pretty much its whole raison d'etre and the manifest deficiencies of the chassis assuage my guilt. :)

@Delphinidaes, OMG Misery=P2W rabble rabble rabble.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Heh it was more that I got some great positioning and was able to get the range I wanted. You should see me get torn up on Alpine :(

http://youtu.be/wphrerUgqH0

I think the video should be working now. I included two games from tonight where I got some great positioning and range.

Bleh not digging that quality, I may try a different upload method on future videos. Still getting used to how to upload youtube vids. :(
    Delphinidaes on
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
    Heh it was more that I got some great positioning and was able to get the range I wanted. You should see me get torn up on Alpine :(

http://youtu.be/wphrerUgqH0

I think the video should be working now. I included two games from tonight where I got some great positioning and range.

Bleh not digging that quality, I may try a different upload method on future videos. Still getting used to how to upload youtube vids. :(

i record in 1080p at quality 85 in afterburner, then compress with handbrake. files are huuuuuuge either way, but look good.
    n90uZGq.png