Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• KayKay Registered User regular
    I need a better way of setting out weapon groups.

I have a multi-button mouse, but some of them don't seem to do anything. I'd like to set up more than 2 weapon groups, but... I end up having to push the number (not a problem for streaks) or shift the focused group (I use LBM for 'current group' and RMB for Group 6) with the arrow keys, which is annoying.

There are the standard LMB/RBM and middle button/scroll wheel, there's a button just above the scroll wheel that doesn't seem to be mapped to anything, and there are two thumb buttons. I should use one of those, but one is my PTT button, so I might end up with loads of accidental weapon fire.

Also, group setup for a 9xML HBK-4P?
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire lasers pew pew pew Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Outreach Broadcast News has a shiny new logo!
    AxXt0iP.png

All of you who ordered sigs will be getting them soon. I've got some writing to do today so I'll probably get them all knocked out in the next day or two.

Oh, and since someone was asking about a roster:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkaCounEkSb2dG9fRHRFdnNQVjMyWUQ3ektGV0dsdFE#gid=0

That is everyone who asked for a sig. We're 40 members strong. :D

That is SERIOUSLY Slick as hell. Quoted because it's good enough to be on two pages :^:
    CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, Planetside 2, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    BillGates wrote: »
    That's a really good fucking logo TOG.

I am slightly disturbed at what your choice of word order implies.

It's just that...fucking good.
    Kay wrote: »
    I need a better way of setting out weapon groups.

I have a multi-button mouse, but some of them don't seem to do anything. I'd like to set up more than 2 weapon groups, but... I end up having to push the number (not a problem for streaks) or shift the focused group (I use LBM for 'current group' and RMB for Group 6) with the arrow keys, which is annoying.

There are the standard LMB/RBM and middle button/scroll wheel, there's a button just above the scroll wheel that doesn't seem to be mapped to anything, and there are two thumb buttons. I should use one of those, but one is my PTT button, so I might end up with loads of accidental weapon fire.

Also, group setup for a 9xML HBK-4P?

4 MLAS in one group the other 5 MLAS in another group. You can hunch MLAS in one group and arms in another or whatever.

You could also do 3 MLAS in one group and 6 MLAS in another group.

it's really up to you tbh. There is really no "wrong" way. But the 4/5 group is the most popular.
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P Registered User regular
    BillGates wrote: »
    While we wait for more official news on the matter, increasing the cooldown is a step in the right direction. That's an immediate reduction of DPS by 25% which, though it's a long way from solving the PPC issue, will certainly help when people close against PPC-users.

Honestly, they should just throw the original values on there. With HSR and the new netcode, we're dealing with effectively an entirely different game where any of the current PPC balances, all made for the old game, are just completely irrelevant. Use the old values, see if it fixes the PPCs or makes them useless, then tweak from there. It would be infinitely better to have an OP weapon adjusted to useless and brought back to useful than keep it OP for another several weeks and adjust it.

This is the wrong way to address the issue, they are trying to make a system to combat all future direct alpha weapons that are to powerful. If they are really messing around with heat levels and scaling based on the amount of concerning weapons you are carrying, this could potentially fix AC 20's as well. New weapons in the future could also be balanced based on this mechanic.

It may take longer, but I think this is a better solution then just outright nerfing PPC's.

And I don't disagree at all that combating all future alpha strike issues is a better approach overall. I'm just saying that, short-term, they need to just stick the old, original PPC values on there, because PPCs now and PPCs before the massive code improvements are literally entirely different weapons for entirely different games.

They definitely should keep going with that other approach, but I think it would benefit everybody if they just reset PPCs completely to their original heat/damage/firing values and tweaked them from there, rather than trying to tweak them back into something balanced while simultaneously working on a larger system to address all alpha strikes. And the reason I'd like to see that is because now that PPCs hit great, I think the original values would be an instant leap to something that is at least somewhat balanced instead of having to endure further weeks of PPC sniping.

I in no way think that sort of PPC fix would be any sort of final solution, though, for PPCs or alpha strike issues in general.
    ninja-snarl_zps9453c54d.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i agree PPC heat needs to go back where it was. the increased recycle time is nice, but PPCs have always had crippling heat in Battletech. its the trade off you get by having infinite shots and huge range.
    n90uZGq.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Since TOG was so busy working on the awesome new OBN logo, I thought I'd lighten the load and help get all those names put in there for you fine walrus skeleton bits!

Instructions:
    1. Download this RAR archive.
    2. Open it and look for the file with your requested name.
    3. Upload that file to the server or image host of your choice.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Enjoy.

Done and done.

damoonrulz_zpse43446fb.png
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
    We don't know what they have tried internally or not. They may have already went back to original PPC values and decided internally that it's not enough.

I do agree that these changes need to happen sooner, rather then later.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Since TOG was so busy working on the awesome new OBN logo, I thought I'd lighten the load and help get all those names put in there for you fine walrus skeleton bits!

Instructions:
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Enjoy.

Thank yooooou!

My sig is fuckawesome.
    UA1OmVB.png
    MechMantis wrote: »

Instructions:
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Enjoy.

Thank yooooou!

My sig is fuckawesome.

Pfft, maybe if mine didn't already have that title.
  • Leafia_BarrettLeafia_Barrett Registered User new member
    Question: Why is the password for every social server, such as Vent, have no password provided, with the reason of "we're not telling you because you should know"? I'm new, and I don't know. I've looked everywhere, and can't find it; everywhere I've looked has had some variation of "you should know already". I'd love to jump in and join you guys for some MWO, but it's kinda hard to when you exclude new people for, essentially, being new.
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Question: Why is the password for every social server, such as Vent, have no password provided, with the reason of "we're not telling you because you should know"? I'm new, and I don't know. I've looked everywhere, and can't find it; everywhere I've looked has had some variation of "you should know already". I'd love to jump in and join you guys for some MWO, but it's kinda hard to when you exclude new people for, essentially, being new.

Its a PA thing.

EDIT: If you have an idea, and it is juvenile, then you're probably right.

Docshifty on
    docshifty.png
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

You sound grumpy, but I'll give you a hint anyways:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/9/22
    The password is "wang". At least I think it is. Been a while since I put it in there.
    f3rret on
    8aXhxwS.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Thanks for the sig! It's beautiful. Haven't been on much since PPC-ocalypse.
    c2XL506.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    New sig is awesome~

Leafia it's just a giant running gag, I wouldn't let it upset you too much, there is far worse in store :D
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

The PPC change is going to hose a few of my builds (and generally anyone using the PPC as a DPS weapon instead of massing them) while leaving boaters unaffected. I understand that this isn't the intended fix to boating, but I think it's still a dumb change on its own. I guess I'll probably need to come up with another 9M build.

At least PGI is finally looking to do something about the problem of pinpoint alpha itself, though, instead of addressing the symptoms ad infinitum.
    MWO User Name: Gorn Arming
    StarCraft II User Name: DeadMenRise
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I hope it's not hamfisted like that, because laser boats aren't broken but that will fuck them over.

Yeah, while its well too early to speculate on what they are going to end up doing, i hope it doesn't nerf (current, anyway) Laser boats since they are by no means over-powered.
    heroth-s.png
  • Leafia_BarrettLeafia_Barrett Registered User new member
    f3rret wrote: »

You sound grumpy, but I'll give you a hint anyways:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/9/22
    The password is "wang". At least I think it is. Been a while since I put it in there.
    Yeah, I am kinda grumpy, sorry. Today hasn't been going well at all. You should've seen my first type-up of that message, lol... Thanks for the help.
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Argh! Sorry Kashaar is sorry! I made a boo boo and messed up a bit. A couple of layer styles got lost in resizing, the bastards. But now it's fixed! So, if you downloaded your sig before this post, please download it again! It's even better now! ;-)

Here's the link again for convenience.

For reference, this is wrong:
    http://stuff.pyrron.com/oosiks/kashaar-wrong.png

...and this is right:
    http://stuff.pyrron.com/oosiks/kashaar-right.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    Ah that is a little better .
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Seriously, holy crap, that logo is really awesome. Great work!

And thanks for the sig :D
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    Mega thanks to @Kashaar for getting the sigs cranked out while I've been busy with a bunch of other OBN/Oosik projects!

PA bros are best bros.
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    Also, :o

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/73536-weapon-balancing/page__pid__2355519#entry2355519

Future PPC balancing :o

And potential nerfs to high-alpha boats?
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    While it is a pretty public server, by not stating the password, it keeps lurkers out
    not everyone is a saint, but at least it makes you create a forum name in order to
    ask for said password. Most geese can't be bothered to ask or figure it out.... Mostly....
    edited May 2013
    Also, :o

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/73536-weapon-balancing/page__pid__2355519#entry2355519

Future PPC balancing :o

And potential nerfs to high-alpha boats?

Which is all well and good, but it taking 4-8 weeks for PGI to fix major, game-wrecking balance issues has got to be hurting their bottom line (not that it's dooming them, but they could doing great instead of merely doing well). At this point, I'm much less interested in knowing what the PPC fixes will be and much more interested in knowing how PGI plans on changing their bass-ackwards balance protocol so it can at least respond in weeks instead of months. The week all this PPC stuff screwed everything up, PGI should've at least slapped on a temporary patch adjusting the weapon values so the game didn't get stuck in "fuck-awful" mode for a month. It's not that a weapon is unbalanced, it's that PGI's balance approach shows all the flexibility of geriatric sumo wrestler with one arm and two fake hips. That's hurting things a lot more than weapon imbalances are.
    Ninja Snarl P on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard GO DIGITIGRADE OR GO HOME Registered User regular
    Punishing players who run racks of similar weapons is not the way to deal with PPC boats.

Unless somehow people think my Jenner-F needs nerfing. Which would be news to me.
    FWUfbMk.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    Punishing players who run racks of similar weapons is not the way to deal with PPC boats.

Unless somehow people think my Jenner-F needs nerfing. Which would be news to me.
    It seems pretty nonsensical. Really favors builds with 5 different weapon groups.

PGI I just want LLAS and SRMS, don't punish me.

Hell, that change would nerf the shit out of the A1 even more and frankly the splatcat isn't even good right now.
  • NipsNips Registered User regular
    Just want to say: WTF is up with the weight matching. Still. Again. Whatever. Ugh.
    capnnips_zps3f07c896.png
    capnnips in MWO
    Pretty sure this new mechanic if implemented would be against direct-alpha weapons. Most notably, PPC's and maybe AC 20's.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    new sig?!?! score!
    n90uZGq.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

It seems pretty nonsensical. Really favors builds with 5 different weapon groups.

PGI I just want LLAS and SRMS, don't punish me.

Hell, that change would nerf the shit out of the A1 even more and frankly the splatcat isn't even good right now.

Won't anybody please think of the poor children who need their lunchboxes! The 4P in its default configuration will be slightly more than a little bit affected by that change if it goes live. Although, maybe make the scaling based on weapon weight...that way, things lighter than, say, large lasers won't be affected. However, that would also make dakka-centric builds vulnerable to major heating issues (as if that wasn't already a concern)...so, I dunno.
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about all alpha-strike builds getting nerfed into oblivion. Laserbacks clearly don't own the game despite a buttload of MLASes, so why would they implement a system which neuters them and other builds that rely on a lone weapon type? The issue with the alpha striking isn't that it's a bunch of weapons firing at once, it's having too many high-damage weapons firing at once and dealing all their damage to one panel.

Much more likely that weapons will get specific per-weapon alpha nerfs, rather than all the weapons in the game getting screwed if they aren't part of a mix-and-match arsenal.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    dead sexy sigs, there @TOGsolid
    Thank @Kashaar, he did them up while I was working on other stuff!

Argh! Sorry Kashaar is sorry! I made a boo boo and messed up a bit. A couple of layer styles got lost in resizing, the bastards. But now it's fixed! So, if you downloaded your sig before this post, please download it again! It's even better now! ;-)

Here's the link again for convenience.

For reference, this is wrong:
    http://stuff.pyrron.com/oosiks/kashaar-wrong.png

...and this is right:
    http://stuff.pyrron.com/oosiks/kashaar-right.png

REMINDER: The first batch of sigs had an error in them. You want this batch here.
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
    oh! well, then... @Kashaar , great job man!
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    so how do you get started with this Oosik gig

i need to learn how to put a Jenner through its paces
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about all alpha-strike builds getting nerfed into oblivion. Laserbacks clearly don't own the game despite a buttload of MLASes, so why would they implement a system which neuters them and other builds that rely on a lone weapon type? The issue with the alpha striking isn't that it's a bunch of weapons firing at once, it's having too many high-damage weapons firing at once and dealing all their damage to one panel.

Much more likely that weapons will get specific per-weapon alpha nerfs, rather than all the weapons in the game getting screwed if they aren't part of a mix-and-match arsenal.

You have more faith in their nerf/buff process than I do, my friend
    camo_sig2.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    so how do you get started with this Oosik gig

i need to learn how to put a Jenner through its paces

I'll leave the lessons to Curtis Armstrong: