Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I listened to this one today on the way in. It was a good report.

But if you want to have mind blown, listen to last night's Radiolab where they discuss a scientist who has figured out how to slow light down to 15mph or even stop it, carry it somewhere else, and then start it moving again.

He's calling it the "flash-light".
    h1DI1.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    and you may have thought it tragic

not to mention other adjec

tives to think of all the weeping they will do

I love those "fuck it" bits of lyrics writing
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Yeah the application is for a Minimum-Wage Bot at a local Dollar General. I just kinda walked in there to ask about getting a summer job. Place was an absolute mess on several levels. There was no on at the register when I walked in, and later I noticed a handwritten sign that says, "Push button for cashier." It rings a little bell, and after literally 2-3 minutes a young woman walked up to the register. The shelves were a mess, and there was merchandise and displays spilled all over the floor. A lot of the lights also didn't work, so there was this dim sickly glow around the whole store. The stockroom where I talked to the manager was also basically piles of merchandise with no discernible organization.

But fuggit, I only need a paycheck for the next four months, then grad school time. Manager also sounded like he was lookin'; I imagine there's a lot of turnover at this place.

You realize it's probably a front for meth dealers, right?

Dollar General makes TJ Maxx look like Saks 5th Avenue.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

But if you want to have mind blown, listen to last night's Radiolab where they discuss a scientist who has figured out how to slow light down to 15mph or even stop it, carry it somewhere else, and then start it moving again.

People that feel like they need to "follow their passion" are dumb
    GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    heard this on the NPR station this morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ32ZIXk7zc

i lol'd a lil'bit
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Than

Scheck

SKFM

WE'RE DROPPING LIKE GODDAMN FLIES IN HERE
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    dollar general is a good place to go to put yourself into a diabetic coma for only $9 worth of snacks
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hello Seniors,

David Boreanaz, our Commencement Speaker, (and star of Bones!) will be stopping by the Park School on Friday, May 17 for a small meet-and-greet session exclusively for Park School Seniors, faculty and staff.

Feel free to stop by Park 220 from 11:15 –noon and say hello.

I hope you are enjoying your last days at Ithaca College, and I'll see you at Commencement.

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

"WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO FUCK SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR WHEN YOU WERE MARRIED TO YOUR FIRST WIFE"
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    A few years ago, two researchers tracked a representative sample of 2,300 students at 24 colleges and universities who took the CLA three times in their college careers: at the beginning of their freshman year, at the end of their sophomore year, and finally, before graduation.

The study’s bottom line: 45 percent of students in the study made no gains in their writing, complex reasoning, or critical-thinking skills during their first two years of college. After four years, the news wasn’t much better: 36 percent failed to show any improvement.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it's one of the reasons I don't want to leave school yet. What have I actually learned?! When I say it like that I can't think of anything, but hopefully some things from the 40-odd classes I've taken here have stuck with me...
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Than

Scheck

SKFM

squeaky wheel gets the axe
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Wut
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Wait was SKFM banned?

Is this something I shouldn't be talking about?

no. At least not as of yesterday. Dee just likes to make people ask that question

and -I'M- the troll

He's banned from chat forever.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    realtalk: it seems like a hammer is swinging down on all gimmick posting, so everyone who themeposts is well-advised to tone it down
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

My Hobby: Not being poor.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Hello Seniors,

David Boreanaz, our Commencement Speaker, (and star of Bones!) will be stopping by the Park School on Friday, May 17 for a small meet-and-greet session exclusively for Park School Seniors, faculty and staff.

I hope you are enjoying your last days at Ithaca College, and I'll see you at Commencement.

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

"WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO FUCK SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR WHEN YOU WERE MARRIED TO YOUR FIRST WIFE"

oh

snap
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    and you may have thought it tragic

not to mention other adjec

tives to think of all the weeping they will do

I love those "fuck it" bits of lyrics writing

That's not really "fuck it" so much as a kind of enjambment

I like it
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Hello Seniors,

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

oh

snap

I aim to please, dear
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Take any given profession aside from Lawyer and Doctor:

The highschool graduate or GED holder that has been working the job for 2+ years will be better than the freshly graduated Bachelor/Master/Phd. nearly 100% of the time.

And if it were legal I bet this would be frighteningly over 50% with Doctors and Lawyers.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek

He's calling it the "flash-light".

heh

thing is... no. It's the exact same light, a beam she catches and then later can release to continue moving.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    A few years ago, two researchers tracked a representative sample of 2,300 students at 24 colleges and universities who took the CLA three times in their college careers: at the beginning of their freshman year, at the end of their sophomore year, and finally, before graduation.

The study’s bottom line: 45 percent of students in the study made no gains in their writing, complex reasoning, or critical-thinking skills during their first two years of college. After four years, the news wasn’t much better: 36 percent failed to show any improvement.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it's one of the reasons I don't want to leave school yet. What have I actually learned?! When I say it like that I can't think of anything, but hopefully some things from the 40-odd classes I've taken here have stuck with me...

I literally have a tab open right meow where I'm writing up a post about higher ed -- specifically, the practical problems with it right now, and also the more philosophical question of "What is higher education supposed to be?"

So hold that thought!
    network_sig2.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

I think this is why I'm finally settling on accounting.

You know what my passion is?

Having enough means to not worry about having enough means.

I couldn't care less if I don't change the world or create something amazing.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    If you wanted to learn something you should have gotten a STEM degree obvs
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Hello Seniors,

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

"WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO FUCK OTHER BITCHES WHILE YOU WERE MARRIED TO YOUR CURRENT WIFE?"
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    dollar general is a good place to go to put yourself into a diabetic coma for only $9 worth of snacks

It's really, really bad.

Like if I were remotely ambitious, I could walk into that place and make a list of like Fifteen Things that would improve its inventory operation and merch presentation immediately.
    network_sig2.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I literally have a tab open right meow where I'm writing up a post about higher ed -- specifically, the practical problems with it right now, and also the more philosophical question of "What is higher education supposed to be?"

So hold that thought!
    I think you've been browsing too many cat gifs.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ludious wrote: »
    Take any given profession aside from Lawyer and Doctor:

The highschool graduate or GED holder that has been working the job for 2+ years will be better than the freshly graduated Bachelor/Master/Phd. nearly 100% of the time.

And if it were legal I bet this would be frighteningly over 50% with Doctors and Lawyers.

Idk, I've been a unix admin for about a year but i have a feeling once I start my unix certification classes (which my academic advisor has graciously decided if I can get a 3.00 or better in he'll wave 12 credits worth of major requirement classes) I'm going to have no idea what I'm doing

I don't even know 9/10 of the basic unix commands! Just the ones I use
    override367 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

Lots of people find a passion that is reasonable and have a career in it

You just have to reject the silly passions and find something else, unless you want to take those big risks

I know someone who does speech therapy for people with brain damage, for example. She loves it. It is a deep passion. She pursued it aggressively and now has a fulfilling career.

"Passion" is not shorthand for "pastime with unrealistic job prospects"
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    ronya wrote: »
    realtalk: it seems like a hammer is swinging down on all gimmick posting, so everyone who themeposts is well-advised to tone it down

dude, seriously

this is not true and not helpful
    Cinders wrote: »

Wut

Yeah.

It was pretty fucking crazy. Absolutely worth listening to.

Also in that episode is a discussion of how stock trading is mostly an emergent system performed by algorithms, the collective behavior of which we can no longer predict.
    I haven't gotten in trouble with my themeposting. I am a responsible ADULT OKAY
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Than

Scheck

SKFM

*back against the wall, gun gripped tightly with both hands, pointed at the door, shaking*
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

Whatever happens, happens. If I'm considered a gimmick, then my history isn't being taken into account (someone is laughing maniacally right now). Gimmicks aren't consistent or they're too consistent. I'm simultaneously predictable and unpredictable.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    thank you for validating my opinions cass
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    ludious is wurst themeposter
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    Hello Seniors,

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

oh

snap

Is this a thing that happened in the irl? Or are we strictly speaking about on-screen performances?

Because Boreanaz seems like a pretty chill, laid back and funny guy, and I'd assume his answer to either question would be, "Pretty swell, thanks for asking."
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

I don't really think that's what's going on.
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.