Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• bowenbowen Registered User regular
    If SKFM could write me a no-strings-attached check for like... $15,000 I'd be so happy.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    A few years ago, two researchers tracked a representative sample of 2,300 students at 24 colleges and universities who took the CLA three times in their college careers: at the beginning of their freshman year, at the end of their sophomore year, and finally, before graduation.

The study’s bottom line: 45 percent of students in the study made no gains in their writing, complex reasoning, or critical-thinking skills during their first two years of college. After four years, the news wasn’t much better: 36 percent failed to show any improvement.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it's one of the reasons I don't want to leave school yet. What have I actually learned?! When I say it like that I can't think of anything, but hopefully some things from the 40-odd classes I've taken here have stuck with me...

I literally have a tab open right meow where I'm writing up a post about higher ed -- specifically, the practical problems with it right now, and also the more philosophical question of "What is higher education supposed to be?"

So hold that thought!
    I think you've been browsing too many cat gifs.

Granted, it's an impurrfect state of affairs, but they're my 9 lives to live.
    network_sig2.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Yeah the application is for a Minimum-Wage Bot at a local Dollar General. I just kinda walked in there to ask about getting a summer job. Place was an absolute mess on several levels. There was no on at the register when I walked in, and later I noticed a handwritten sign that says, "Push button for cashier." It rings a little bell, and after literally 2-3 minutes a young woman walked up to the register. The shelves were a mess, and there was merchandise and displays spilled all over the floor. A lot of the lights also didn't work, so there was this dim sickly glow around the whole store. The stockroom where I talked to the manager was also basically piles of merchandise with no discernible organization.

But fuggit, I only need a paycheck for the next four months, then grad school time. Manager also sounded like he was lookin'; I imagine there's a lot of turnover at this place.

You realize it's probably a front for meth dealers, right?

Dollar General makes TJ Maxx look like Saks 5th Avenue.
    b
    I remember going on travel at my old job and the hotel in the middle of nowhere Georgia (near Ft. Benning) was next to a tj maxx, ross, and marshals.

My boss, who I was traveling with was ecstatic...

not sure how that happens to a person, so broken they can no longer shop in stores that are like, organized.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I haven't gotten in trouble with my themeposting. I am a responsible ADULT OKAY

throw themeposting ON THE GROUND
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Benghazi

Man, Hannity was pissed last night that Joe Scarborough didn't think Benghazi would automatically win 2014 and 2016 for the Republicans.

"Hannity was pissed" is kind of redundant, I guess.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

I listened to this one today on the way in. It was a good report.

But if you want to have mind blown, listen to last night's Radiolab where they discuss a scientist who has figured out how to slow light down to 15mph or even stop it, carry it somewhere else, and then start it moving again.

People that feel like they need to "follow their passion" are dumb
    GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

Lots of people find a passion that is reasonable and have a career in it

You just have to reject the silly passions and find something else, unless you want to take those big risks

I know someone who does speech therapy for people with brain damage, for example. She loves it. It is a deep passion. She pursued it aggressively and now has a fulfilling career.

"Passion" is not shorthand for "pastime with unrealistic job prospects"

IMO, there are a lot more people passionate about "music" than Speech Pathology.
    By all means, if you have a passion that pays the bills, follow that fucker full steam. Otherwise its a piss poor bet

Not having "a passion" is not a character flaw.
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Than

Scheck

SKFM

WE'RE DROPPING LIKE GODDAMN FLIES IN HERE

*back against the wall, gun gripped tightly with both hands, pointed at the door, shaking*

Geth's arms break through the wall behind you and drag you screaming into the darkness.
    An eerie silence falls
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hello Seniors,

David Boreanaz, our Commencement Speaker, (and star of Bones!) will be stopping by the Park School on Friday, May 17 for a small meet-and-greet session exclusively for Park School Seniors, faculty and staff.

Feel free to stop by Park 220 from 11:15 –noon and say hello.

I hope you are enjoying your last days at Ithaca College, and I'll see you at Commencement.

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

"WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO FUCK SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR WHEN YOU WERE MARRIED TO YOUR FIRST WIFE"

oh

snap

Is this a thing that happened in the irl? Or are we strictly speaking about on-screen performances?

Because Boreanaz seems like a pretty chill, laid back and funny guy, and I'd assume his answer to either question would be, "Pretty swell, thanks for asking."

I'm pretty sure it happened, just like he cheated on his current wife with that chick that was also banging Tiger Woods (I think)
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Registered User regular
    Poster: Tiger Burning

Theme: Helvetica
    "All models are wrong; some models are useful."
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    Programming is a passion (sort of).

I'd be happy to get paid high amounts of money to program spreadsheet software, and use my off-time to do personal more interesting projects.

But given the choice, I'd take the ~25% paycut to work on things that I'd actually enjoy.

~25% being the number supplied by the Game Career Guide. An annual ~300 page report on the state of the industry.

You also typically end up working more, too.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hello Seniors,

David Boreanaz, our Commencement Speaker, (and star of Bones!) will be stopping by the Park School on Friday, May 17 for a small meet-and-greet session exclusively for Park School Seniors, faculty and staff.

Feel free to stop by Park 220 from 11:15 –noon and say hello.

I hope you are enjoying your last days at Ithaca College, and I'll see you at Commencement.

Cool.

ASK HIM ABOUT BUFFY

WHAT SHOULD I SAY

"WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO FUCK SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR WHEN YOU WERE MARRIED TO YOUR FIRST WIFE"

oh

snap

Is this a thing that happened in the irl? Or are we strictly speaking about on-screen performances?

Because Boreanaz seems like a pretty chill, laid back and funny guy, and I'd assume his answer to either question would be, "Pretty swell, thanks for asking."

I'm pretty sure it happened, just like he cheated on his current wife with that chick that was also banging Tiger Woods (I think)

:edit: Huh, this is his second one, wikipedia is wrong apparently. Who knew?
    matt has a problem on
    h1DI1.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

But if you want to have mind blown, listen to last night's Radiolab where they discuss a scientist who has figured out how to slow light down to 15mph or even stop it, carry it somewhere else, and then start it moving again.

GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

You just have to reject the silly passions and find something else, unless you want to take those big risks

I know someone who does speech therapy for people with brain damage, for example. She loves it. It is a deep passion. She pursued it aggressively and now has a fulfilling career.

right

for example my passion is teaching, but since you can't actually get paid to do that I work in IT
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Programming is a passion (sort of).

I'd be happy to get paid high amounts of money to program spreadsheet software, and use my off-time to do personal more interesting projects.

But given the choice, I'd take the ~25% paycut to work on things that I'd actually enjoy.

~25% being the number supplied by the Game Career Guide. An annual ~300 page report on the state of the industry.

You also typically end up working more, too.

Fuck that, I'd take $120,000 right now to write spreadsheet software. You want your own super excel? Sure thing!
    Damn you Wikipedia.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    realtalk: it seems like a hammer is swinging down on all gimmick posting, so everyone who themeposts is well-advised to tone it down

dude, seriously

this is not true and not helpful

well what's the new policy then

we now have n=3 of a regular chatter being more or less exactly what the chatter has previously been doing for more than a year at least, easily more in the case of Than, and suddenly more of the same is tripping some unknown rule we don't know about
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Benghazi

Man, Hannity was pissed last night that Joe Scarborough didn't think Benghazi would automatically win 2014 and 2016 for the Republicans.

Well since it didn't win the year it happened, I guess Sean Hannity is kind of a dick-mouthed idiot.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Benghazi

Thankfully the American people don't really give a shit about bengahzi

"obama is personally responsible for the 3 dead americans!"

*meanwhile, 10,000 rapes a year in the army*

absolute dead silence
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    A few years ago, two researchers tracked a representative sample of 2,300 students at 24 colleges and universities who took the CLA three times in their college careers: at the beginning of their freshman year, at the end of their sophomore year, and finally, before graduation.

The study’s bottom line: 45 percent of students in the study made no gains in their writing, complex reasoning, or critical-thinking skills during their first two years of college. After four years, the news wasn’t much better: 36 percent failed to show any improvement.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it's one of the reasons I don't want to leave school yet. What have I actually learned?! When I say it like that I can't think of anything, but hopefully some things from the 40-odd classes I've taken here have stuck with me...
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    and you may have thought it tragic

not to mention other adjec

tives to think of all the weeping they will do

I love those "fuck it" bits of lyrics writing

That's not really "fuck it" so much as a kind of enjambment

I like it

well intentional fuck it, sure
    xlh6c3.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

IMO, there are a lot more people passionate about "music" than Speech Pathology.
    By all means, if you have a passion that pays the bills, follow that fucker full steam. Otherwise its a piss poor bet

Not having "a passion" is not a character flaw.

If you are passionate about music you should really pursue it - not necessarily as a career at first, but if you get out and perform and meet people and volunteer and participate, you can get a real career in all sorts of ways. Sound engineering, management, writing music for other people, teaching music, whatever.

Or you can do it as a side, not as a mere hobby but as a lifestyle thing, which many do.

I agree that people shouldn't hyper focus on being rock stars but that doesn't mean relegating their music to jamming with their buddies in a dingy basement.

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Once I"m on Adderall programming will be my passion
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I used to themepost.

Takes to much effort.

Godspeed you crazy bastards.
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    Easy, Higher Education is a way to make it easy for HR departments to sift through resumes.

But also, in America at least, college the intersection of freedom and adulthood. At least that's how I see it. Your first real taste of freedom, but just before the responsibilities of life are heaped on your back. College is a very cool experience if you are allowed to experience it that way. Some folks don't get the opportunity.
    Benghazi

Well since it didn't win the year it happened, I guess Sean Hannity is kind of a dick-mouthed idiot.

What are hannity's professional qualifications again?

Oh right, highschool dropout and homophobe
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    draaaaaaaaaaaaaft clear

Let me just say that I disagree wholeheartedly with Ronya's characterization of what's going on.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Does dick-mouthed mean your mouth is a dick?

Or that you talk out of your actual dick?
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    realtalk: it seems like a hammer is swinging down on all gimmick posting, so everyone who themeposts is well-advised to tone it down

dude, seriously

this is not true and not helpful

well what's the new policy then

we now have n=3 of a regular chatter being more or less exactly what the chatter has previously been doing for more than a year at least, easily more in the case of Than, and suddenly more of the same is tripping some unknown rule we don't know about

nnnnnnnnnnnnnope

like, I cannot emphasize enough that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here
    Benghazi

What are hannity's professional qualifications again?

Oh right, highschool dropout and homophobe

Hits all the prereqs for a Fox News job.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    I used to themepost.

Takes to much effort.

Godspeed you crazy bastards.

my theme is

whatever i damn well feel like posting in a given nanosecond

wheeeeee
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    What is "theme posting"
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Does dick-mouthed mean your mouth is a dick?

Or that you talk out of your actual dick?

If you want I can send along a visual guide.

On a scale from 1-10, where would you place your tolerance for existential terror.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    I think my ancient monitor is dying.

It keeps fading between warm and cool color schemes

At first I thought I was going crazy because it was super subtle, but the forum color scheme now pulses over the course of a minute between a dull off-white and a bright icy blue

Trippy

and probably gonna be expensive
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

is that the stuff that improves your attention span?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Is ronya trying to change his theme from erudite economist to batshit conspiracy theorist?

Bold move.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    What is "theme posting"

It's when you are posting according to the guidelines of a theme or persona.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    all saints row cheevos completed

this is the proudest moment of my life
    Per3th.jpg
    I would like to point out I now have two Awesomes from @skippydumptruck

I can play him like an adorable fiddle.
    Casual wrote: »

is that the stuff that improves your attention span?

Yes
    edited May 2013
    my old communications teacher used to work for Fox News and is now working for some PAC somewhere

he is honest to goodness one of the most insane individuals I have ever met, Fox is a nuthouse

I like categorizing the different Fox talking heads based on whether they're legitimately insane or just playing a character or just ornery angry rich grandpas who have really bad beliefs (o'reilly)
    override367 on
This discussion has been closed.