Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat]on Oswalt

• AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    I think my ancient monitor is dying.

It keeps fading between warm and cool color schemes

At first I thought I was going crazy because it was super subtle, but the forum color scheme now pulses over the course of a minute between a dull off-white and a bright icy blue

Trippy

and probably gonna be expensive

You can get a respectable 19" flatscreen for about $90.

That's the size I have now. I'd like to keep it that way because anything larger would involve rearranging or replacing my desk (it has a shelf thing that goes over the monitor, and has just enough space on either side for my speakers)

$90 ain't bad but I need to spend as little money as possible for the next two months

I might have some Amazon gift cards laying around, though
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Oh man chat's totes gonna get chewed out again.

I assume that people get permabanned not really for the "content" of their messages, but really the content of their messages being directed at others in specific or in general.

So sure, be angry about whatever it is you're angry about Bowen, but don't blow up at Chanus because he's a cop. Or likes cops, or is a republican, or one of the other hot button topics that niche members of our forum are.

Like me getting hit because I was a jerk about transgendered people just to be a jerk.

I'll stop talking about this though, because I think going any further than what I just said will be problematic.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Man.

I really don't know if I want to go back to school.

Everyone is yelling at me to do it and I assume they have all been 22 or know someone who is 22 and throwing out the exact same excuses.

But aaaaaagh

Your job seems pretty chill. You could probably work out a thing where you could at least go to school part-time and keep working. It'll help you in the future, even if you just stick around at the place you work.
    a5ehren on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    kosh tell me a movie to watch
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Man.

Everyone is yelling at me to do it and I assume they have all been 22 or know someone who is 22 and throwing out the exact same excuses.

But aaaaaagh

Everyone who doesn't regrets it I find.

Do it part time or whatever, but do it. If nothing else it can hinder your advancement if you lack the letters after your name.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i spend most of my morning thinking about lunch so i do very little
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Say fuck it and go to lunch.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If you wanted to learn something you should have gotten a STEM degree obvs

Definitely applies to STEM, too.
    and then i eat lunch and i get sleepy from lunch
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Im eating a cobb salad that can't possibly be healthy
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    like, I get the appeal of discretionary conduct rules

and I get that sometimes "alright we've had enough of you, you're out now" is a thing

but come on, it is hardly as if Than wasn't someone mods regularly chatted to. you know, in [chat]. Than Hates Cops, this was so well-known as to be a regular joke. if Than Hates Cops suddenly becomes unacceptable because we now have forumers in police academy, fine, that's completely within the discretionary purview of mod staff. but a ban seems uncalled-for. mods were chatting with this guy every other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNrrRqDwXA8

I would be a least a little confused and alarmed if the ice amiably discussed the weather with me for months, right up until it abruptly shattered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrmo3j1Tp7Y

How about you stop now, before Jacob shuts down [chat] completely.

Thanatos said that Pony was a rapist, then when confronted instead of apologizing he doubled down. Given his long history of being an undiluted asshole to certain people about certain topics this crossed a line for Tube and surprised no one.

Check posted a fucking picture of genitals.

And Space has a history of pissing people off.

What's next, Ronya, wondering why Lorc keeps getting kicked just because he's a popephile?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Lets discuss something actually important guys, not this nonsense

I'll start

I am great
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Man.

But aaaaaagh

Your job seems pretty chill. You could probably work out a thing where you could at least go to school part-time and keep working. It'll help you in the future, even if you just stick around at the place you work.

Yes, they have offered to give me 2 days a week to school and 15% tuition.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I'm going to go back to school next spring to work on finishing my degree.
    Because I'd be an ass not to.
    Also I get free classes after a year of being full time.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ermagerd

BJ0RUE0CcAQvY2G.jpg:large#.jpg

Derry Pride, yo
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Man.

But aaaaaagh

Everyone who doesn't regrets it I find.

Do it part time or whatever, but do it. If nothing else it can hinder your advancement if you lack the letters after your name.

All a woman needs from college is her MRS degree.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    To be fair Lorc seems like more of a popephobe
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Once I"m on Adderall programming will be my passion

*dubious glare*

I can't read programming manuals, Organichu. I skip words and can't hold concepts in my head. I NEED DRUGS ORGANICHU.

i don't wanna sound accusatory but please don't use your fucked up brain as an excuse! it's a false dichotomy to say 'i can do this task with drugs, i can't do it without drugs'. you could totally be making progress and learning things and creating. it might be slow and painstaking and you might not make 'a lot' of progress without the assistance you need. but making it a binary thing enables terrible slacking off.

speaking from experience here i mean.

Well the problem I had was I ran into a brick wall at the end of my last class. I could not keep hash tables straight in my head. I couldn't implement them. I ended up not turning in that assignment. I haven't gone back since because I didn't want to waste money if I wasn't sure I could do it. I've tried to continue programming using books and it's just not fun. I don't want to keep going if I can't even properly read the damn book.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    I want a Tesla

I see those sedans around here often because their rich boy showroom is a few miles away. Dudes buyin' Teslas.
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Man.

But aaaaaagh

Yes, they have offered to give me 2 days a week to school and 15% tuition.

Any reduction in pay?

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Lorc is actually an agent of the papacy trying to be so extreme we adopt the opposing view
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    am i a theme poster
    919UOwT.png
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I'll start

I am great

The banana I ate earlier wasn't very tasty, and it's making me need to poop.
    gooey
    Lorc is actually an agent of the papacy trying to be so extreme we adopt the opposing view

He's using the classic pope-smear tactic
    G2Dcf.jpg
    The biggest complicating factor in going back is money. My mom can pay for one more semester apparently, but beyond that...

I have about $5k in loans, if I take a break now I can just pay them off gradually and OSAP will give me tons of leeway and be nice about it. If I take a break in the middle of the year if I find out I can't balance school and work I will probably have more student debt and be charged immediate and retroactive interest.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I'll start

I am great

Counterpoint: more like y2flake
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I want a Tesla

I see those sedans around here often because their rich boy showroom is a few miles away. Dudes buyin' Teslas.

I sat in a Model S recently. They look fucking baller and the trunk turns into 2 jumpseats, which is amazing.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

*dubious glare*

I can't read programming manuals, Organichu. I skip words and can't hold concepts in my head. I NEED DRUGS ORGANICHU.

i don't wanna sound accusatory but please don't use your fucked up brain as an excuse! it's a false dichotomy to say 'i can do this task with drugs, i can't do it without drugs'. you could totally be making progress and learning things and creating. it might be slow and painstaking and you might not make 'a lot' of progress without the assistance you need. but making it a binary thing enables terrible slacking off.

Well the problem I had was I ran into a brick wall at the end of my last class. I could not keep hash tables straight in my head. I couldn't implement them. I ended up not turning in that assignment. I haven't gone back since because I didn't want to waste money if I wasn't sure I could do it. I've tried to continue programming using books and it's just not fun. I don't want to keep going if I can't even properly read the damn book.

well it not being fun is one thing i guess. the impression i got was more that you don't want to give it a try until you have a handup which seems backwards to me.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Gradius III hard game on arcade difficulty.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    This video has massive spoilers at the end of it for the cast of Star Trek Into Darkness, but it's pretty funny. Just shut it off before .58 and you should be ok.

But you know, CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dfX5nAvuvr0
    Lh96QHG.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    am i a theme poster

your theme is big nerd

it is the theme of everyone here but me

my theme is rico suave

*dubious glare*

You just need better teachers.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

I listened to this one today on the way in. It was a good report.

But if you want to have mind blown, listen to last night's Radiolab where they discuss a scientist who has figured out how to slow light down to 15mph or even stop it, carry it somewhere else, and then start it moving again.

People that feel like they need to "follow their passion" are dumb
    GET PAID
    GET A HOBBY

Lots of people find a passion that is reasonable and have a career in it

You just have to reject the silly passions and find something else, unless you want to take those big risks

I know someone who does speech therapy for people with brain damage, for example. She loves it. It is a deep passion. She pursued it aggressively and now has a fulfilling career.

"Passion" is not shorthand for "pastime with unrealistic job prospects"

IMO, there are a lot more people passionate about "music" than Speech Pathology.
    By all means, if you have a passion that pays the bills, follow that fucker full steam. Otherwise its a piss poor bet

Not having "a passion" is not a character flaw.

If you are passionate about music you should really pursue it - not necessarily as a career at first, but if you get out and perform and meet people and volunteer and participate, you can get a real career in all sorts of ways. Sound engineering, management, writing music for other people, teaching music, whatever.

Or you can do it as a side, not as a mere hobby but as a lifestyle thing, which many do.

I agree that people shouldn't hyper focus on being rock stars but that doesn't mean relegating their music to jamming with their buddies in a dingy basement.

I have to say that I agree with this very much. My partner here on the support side is a musician who has been playing the drums in Atlanta for years. Spends most of his time outside of this job at gigs or running his business of making custom drum sticks.

And this is exactly what I would think a person like him would do if he didn't hit it big. The things that blow my mind is when folks like him don't work a day job and live in this weird half life of squalor and dependency on folks that are working full time.

I think this comes back to a previous [chat] discussion on finding self actualization through your career. Some people just don't feel its really possible. They use their career as support for existence and off time for self actualization. Not everyone strives for working on what they love.

I agree with this. I love art, I want to do comics but it's not something I can support myself with right off the bat, so I'm trying to get a job that I can do so I can really do what I love.

Then I figured I could be an art teacher so I'm surrounded by what I love (art) and maybe still focus on what I love doing (comics), while still making a living. Which is nice.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular

*dubious glare*

well it not being fun is one thing i guess. the impression i got was more that you don't want to give it a try until you have a handup which seems backwards to me.

Yeah I wasn't clear. I have tried many times, over and over again. And the result has been the same each time, which nosedives my motivation because now I think it's pointless.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Man.

But aaaaaagh

Cass, finish your fucking degree. Look around at all of the fucking chatters struggling to get jobs and realize that most of them have degrees. A degree has basically become a requirement for white collar work. Not having one DQs you from a lot of jobs. Work experience is great, gives you an advantage over people your age without it. But if your company folds right now, then you may find yourself fucked. So finish your god damn degree.

yeah you're right but gah
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    ronya i get what you're saying but i think it's more n=1 than n=3
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Gooey wrote: »
    am i a theme poster

yes

hth
This discussion has been closed.