Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If I was a hundred pounds lighter I'd join the military no question. Get me the fuck out of here and get me doing something that marginally matters.

sometimes they'll take someone interested and make you run and shit for 6 months before they send you to basic, where you will run more

They stopped doing that after we started winding down the wars.

Basically the recruiters don't take you seriously when you're a chubster now. They have to cut people to keep paying for tanks and jet engines, they're not really looking to do interested people favors.

I would totally do that though, were it an option.

ahh : (

Yeah, I was getting lots of hits in high school when I was putting feelers out. But then my NJROTC instructors found out I was planning on enlisting so they kicked my ass and convinced me to go to college first so I should do ROTC.

Then circumstances made commuting to Tampa five times a week untenable and I gained two hundred pounds because I hated myself and everyone else and now I'm working on undoing that before I think about anything else.

Oh well.

Time is the fire in which we burn.

to be honest...

as a general rule of thumb, the times they're making it easy to join the military, are the times you do not want to be joining the military
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the thing that made me confident that the army's winter gear was chosen by people who knew what they were doing, was that like, beside the modern gore-tex uniform in the locker, was the same kind of field uniform my dad wore, which they kept because just because it's new and fancy doesn't mean it's always better.

and the heavy gloves my grandfather would have recognized. And they performed better than any expensive fancy-ass winter gloves I've had myself.
    xlh6c3.png
    as a general rule

the better something is at not getting wet

the worse it is at drying out when it does get wet
    xlh6c3.png
    I really wanna go hiking now.
    xlh6c3.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    os x downloaded, now installing

fingers crossed!

did you get your compy fixed?

I don't know

I turned it on just to double check that the hdd was asplode before ordering the new one and the disk util recognized it

so now I am trying a clean os x install

maybe it will not work or blow up again in a day, or maybe not!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i think i was 18 when i tried to join? it was 2005ish. got very far into the conversation, took a practice asvab, met with a recruiter from more than one branch. was extremely close to enlisting until my physical made clear that my eye wasn't reparable (as a kid i'd always assumed it was with surgery). i figured i wasn't going to be a pilot or special forces so it wouldn't be a huge problem. blah.

impossible to trace back one's life and say what would have been good or gone better or whatever but in the aggregate i really wish i'd joined the military.

the military is probably a great option for most people (in first world nations) at most periods of time, except the US and UK post 2001

like, fuck. that. shit.

you should be thanking your lucky stars your eye kept you out of Iraq and Afgahn

i'm not. i wasn't a disillusioned teenager (i mean, about other things i certainly was). i'd probably still enlist today if i had the opportunity for very similar reasons.

plenty of people joined post 9/11 and don't regret their service or their deployment, which i think is a category i would also fit given the opportunity.

I don't know. I mean I'm not going to disagree with your statement of your own feelings and character because obviously I don't know you better than you know yourself. But for me, they seem like disagreeable odds, some people who managed to score a role that kept them away from the IED's probably did come away with the positive shit that a stint in the military can give you, but for everyone else...

The odds of being killed/maimed yourself combined with the odds of being mentally scarred for life seeing it happened to a friend are just too damn high. I feel like given the circumstances that necessitate stepping up to the plate I could, like if I had been the age I am now in 1939 I would have signed up. But for Iraq and Afghanistan? Fuck that. Neither of those were a cause I consider worth dying for. I feel like Dubya and Blair should be made to answer for that.

I feel like people kept voting for them so they've answered all they're going to.
    I really don't hold any ill will towards GWB or Blair, because I mean, I'm the one that decided to join and I don't get to pick the battles I want. The way I try to see it is: I was in, the country asked, I responded, twice, then got out so they would stop asking me.

I also couldn't vote yet when I first enlisted and it wasn't until last year did I cast my first vote (because I was so disillusioned and dumb).

Edit:
    Military dogs are so freaking awesome you guys, you have no idea.

Yeah. People like to throw the term "war criminal" around pretty loosely.

There's really nothing either of them did that is new, novel, or outside of the normal operational agenda of world powers.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if we could somehow undo the last decade of foreign policy we totally should, but since we can't idk.

People kept voting for them. I think we need to not forget that.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hmm.

I do not understand why I keep reading Looking for Group. it is unfunny, doesn't update on a regular time schedule, and it's unfunny. Like, it's really unfunny.

Why. I don't like the art. The story is dumb. Why am I wasting time with this comic.
    Is that the one with the really egotistical author?

Ooh, tell me more.
    Dude writes a comic called Least I could Do, about this guy called ryan summers, who sleeps with all the ladies and is an executive and amazing and everyone else is wrong.

The authors name is Ryan sohmer.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    If I was a hundred pounds lighter I'd join the military no question. Get me the fuck out of here and get me doing something that marginally matters.

sometimes they'll take someone interested and make you run and shit for 6 months before they send you to basic, where you will run more

Basically the recruiters don't take you seriously when you're a chubster now. They have to cut people to keep paying for tanks and jet engines, they're not really looking to do interested people favors.

Yeah, I was getting lots of hits in high school when I was putting feelers out. But then my NJROTC instructors found out I was planning on enlisting so they kicked my ass and convinced me to go to college first so I should do ROTC.

Then circumstances made commuting to Tampa five times a week untenable and I gained two hundred pounds because I hated myself and everyone else and now I'm working on undoing that before I think about anything else.

Oh well.

to be honest...

as a general rule of thumb, the times they're making it easy to join the military, are the times you do not want to be joining the military

naw son

for some people maybe
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Hakkekage
    Hay friend

I am alright. Got a promising lead on a job for more money and less commute. It is hard to be alive but I am learning a lot. I blew a kiss to a girl at a red light and she kind of giggled and bit her tongue as we parted ways :3

Dis fuckin player
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Ahahahaha, last night's Office is amazing.

"When this all started, I was still having sex with women.

And so was Kevin."
    Lh96QHG.png

Oh well.

to be honest...

naw son

for some people maybe

the thing is that you generally don't get to choose if it's going to suck or not.
    xlh6c3.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    does anyone else do this

when you have a progress bar and it moves slowly, I perfectly align the edge of the mouse pointer with the end of the bar and then look away for a while and then look back to make sure its moving

All the freaking time.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's been five days since I was in close proximity to Jack. I'm experiencing withdrawal. :(
    Evigilant wrote: »
    i think i was 18 when i tried to join? it was 2005ish. got very far into the conversation, took a practice asvab, met with a recruiter from more than one branch. was extremely close to enlisting until my physical made clear that my eye wasn't reparable (as a kid i'd always assumed it was with surgery). i figured i wasn't going to be a pilot or special forces so it wouldn't be a huge problem. blah.

impossible to trace back one's life and say what would have been good or gone better or whatever but in the aggregate i really wish i'd joined the military.

the military is probably a great option for most people (in first world nations) at most periods of time, except the US and UK post 2001

like, fuck. that. shit.

you should be thanking your lucky stars your eye kept you out of Iraq and Afgahn

i'm not. i wasn't a disillusioned teenager (i mean, about other things i certainly was). i'd probably still enlist today if i had the opportunity for very similar reasons.

plenty of people joined post 9/11 and don't regret their service or their deployment, which i think is a category i would also fit given the opportunity.

I don't know. I mean I'm not going to disagree with your statement of your own feelings and character because obviously I don't know you better than you know yourself. But for me, they seem like disagreeable odds, some people who managed to score a role that kept them away from the IED's probably did come away with the positive shit that a stint in the military can give you, but for everyone else...

The odds of being killed/maimed yourself combined with the odds of being mentally scarred for life seeing it happened to a friend are just too damn high. I feel like given the circumstances that necessitate stepping up to the plate I could, like if I had been the age I am now in 1939 I would have signed up. But for Iraq and Afghanistan? Fuck that. Neither of those were a cause I consider worth dying for. I feel like Dubya and Blair should be made to answer for that.

I feel like people kept voting for them so they've answered all they're going to.
    I really don't hold any ill will towards GWB or Blair, because I mean, I'm the one that decided to join and I don't get to pick the battles I want. The way I try to see it is: I was in, the country asked, I responded, twice, then got out so they would stop asking me.

I also couldn't vote yet when I first enlisted and it wasn't until last year did I cast my first vote (because I was so disillusioned and dumb).

Edit:
    Military dogs are so freaking awesome you guys, you have no idea.

Yeah. People like to throw the term "war criminal" around pretty loosely.

There's really nothing either of them did that is new, novel, or outside of the normal operational agenda of world powers.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if we could somehow undo the last decade of foreign policy we totally should, but since we can't idk.

People kept voting for them. I think we need to not forget that.

As far as Tony Blair is concerned, there is the small matter than he lied.

People supported him because he lied. He told people Saddam had missiles that could hit us in 45 minutes even when the intelligence services told him this was wrong he kept doing it anyway because it got people going to the voting booth.

When your democratic credentials come from lying to the voters, you have no democratic credentials at all.
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage

HOW U, WHORE
    eokNV.jpg
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Oh well.

to be honest...

naw son

for some people maybe

the thing is that you generally don't get to choose if it's going to suck or not.

i recognize that.

i'm saying for some people that is ok- or at least, not ok in the sense of 'i don't care if my time in sucks in this way, that way, the third way'- but ok as in 'acceptable'. ain't no one ok with the idea that their legs might get blown off. but you can be 'ok' with that risk in the scope of things.

that is all i'm saying. the risk does not sufficiently deter me to disinterest me in the prospect.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

fingers crossed!

I don't know

I turned it on just to double check that the hdd was asplode before ordering the new one and the disk util recognized it

it is probably in the process of going bad then

hard drives can often work for spells and then randomly die before they are completely toast
    919UOwT.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    To all those nerds who were asking before I stepped on the subway, BeNarwhal had to bow out of our arrangement but Pony and his lady moved in in his place
    CDIOl.png
    sqgxmi9.jpg

It's the future, you guys.

the hell this works as good as umbrellas
    xlh6c3.png

Oh well.

to be honest...

naw son

for some people maybe

Yeah, idk, I have gotten a lot from living in this country.

If putting in a year or two in some desert is a way I can pay that back, even in a small sense, I'm ok with that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have been able to do some amazing things in my educational career, but I have that service itch cropping up more and more.

Maybe in a year or so when I've lost all this weight I can go be a naval officer. That would be nice.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    the idea that fighting for your country when it's dangerous is something that nobody wants to do is not correct
    sig.gif
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    @Hakkekage
    Hay friend

I am alright. Got a promising lead on a job for more money and less commute. It is hard to be alive but I am learning a lot. I blew a kiss to a girl at a red light and she kind of giggled and bit her tongue as we parted ways :3

Aww that's awesome, I'm so proud of y--
    @Hakkekage

HOW U, WHORE

FUCK U
    sqgxmi9.jpg

until it runs out of power and you get a load of water dumped on your head...
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    they apparently need to do a lot of work before tactical kitties become effective
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    sqgxmi9.jpg

Christ that's the kind of shit I get hired to make.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    holy shit my joints hurt

I TOLD YOU, CASS!

DRUGS R BAAAAD!

:P
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

fingers crossed!

I don't know

it is probably in the process of going bad then

hard drives can often work for spells and then randomly die before they are completely toast

aw man

Oh well.

to be honest...

naw son

for some people maybe

i recognize that.

i'm saying for some people that is ok- or at least, not ok in the sense of 'i don't care if my time in sucks in this way, that way, the third way'- but ok as in 'acceptable'. ain't no one ok with the idea that their legs might get blown off. but you can be 'ok' with that risk in the scope of things.

that is all i'm saying. the risk does not sufficiently deter me to disinterest me in the prospect.

you can no longer give me shit for doing stupid shit when I drink.
    xlh6c3.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    sqgxmi9.jpg

If it doesn't flip inside out all the fuckin time and poke bitches in the eyes and make shit awkward on public transportation as you try to put your dripping wet umbrella somewhere it won't get anyone wet cause you can't put it back in your bag

then yes it does
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    sqgxmi9.jpg

Also not to be a Luddite but umbrellas already work and don't require recharging.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    sqgxmi9.jpg

until it runs out of power and you get a load of water dumped on your head...

I wonder how well it functions with heavy winds too.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ugh must get my hands on a study in emerald game ASAP
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    sqgxmi9.jpg

I am certain this technology can be weaponized.
    vspgsp.jpg

Oh well.

to be honest...

naw son

for some people maybe

i recognize that.

you can no longer give me shit for doing stupid shit when I drink.

haha are you comparing wartime volunteering to falling off a balcony and breaking your face
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    progress bars are bullshit
    919UOwT.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hmm.

I do not understand why I keep reading Looking for Group. it is unfunny, doesn't update on a regular time schedule, and it's unfunny. Like, it's really unfunny.

Why. I don't like the art. The story is dumb. Why am I wasting time with this comic.
    Is that the one with the really egotistical author?

Ooh, tell me more.
    Dude writes a comic called Least I could Do, about this guy called ryan summers, who sleeps with all the ladies and is an executive and amazing and everyone else is wrong.

The authors name is Ryan sohmer.

Least I Could Do is the worst shit and I hate it

I would rather read Moon Over June
    CDIOl.png
    the idea that fighting for your country when it's dangerous is something that nobody wants to do is not correct

who is saying that it is?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.