Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    K, so yesterday I woke up weighing 261. I felt deeply ashamed such that yesterday I had

Breakfast: one slice whole wheat toast + small smear of PB
    Lunch: chicken cobb salad with a quarter serving of White Balsamic, light feta, no egg.
    Dinner: Nada
    All else: 3 cups coffee with whole milk + one sugar.

This morning I wake up and I weigh 253. That's a hell of a fucking delta.

My take away: No more ordering dinner / weekly pancakes are cancelled until I hit <240.

might i recommend one of those giant foam hands with the pointing index finger, like people have at wrestling arenas?

much easier to stimulate emetic effect, gentler on bile-ravaged esophagus than your real finger
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Evigilant wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i mean come on

July 2001

that is just...

you poor SOB
    I'm thinking that places Evil at just out of bootcamp pretty much at 9/11.

Fuuuuck.
    Haha, actually I didn't go to boot until May 2002 (I was in the Delayed Entry Program so I could finish at least a year of school before going). For almost a year, I did normal military stuff, training and field exercises with the battery, I'm an Artilleryman.

When I graduated bootcamp, it was September 11th, 2002 that I flew back with one of my buddies.

That was the most awkward plane trip ever.

Did you say you ended up doing tours in Afghanistan and Iraq?
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Organichu wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    K, so yesterday I woke up weighing 261. I felt deeply ashamed such that yesterday I had

Breakfast: one slice whole wheat toast + small smear of PB
    Lunch: chicken cobb salad with a quarter serving of White Balsamic, light feta, no egg.
    Dinner: Nada
    All else: 3 cups coffee with whole milk + one sugar.

This morning I wake up and I weigh 253. That's a hell of a fucking delta.

My take away: No more ordering dinner / weekly pancakes are cancelled until I hit <240.

might i recommend one of those giant foam hands with the pointing index finger, like people have at wrestling arenas?

much easier to stimulate emetic effect, gentler on bile-ravaged esophagus than your real finger

i'm doing that smile grimace thing again
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    Oh no is kaleedity's computer gonna blow up?

that already happened

but actually I just need to turn in an asset I've had as a backup laptop for 4 years or so. I don't travel really at all for work anymore so I think it's a fair trade for a new box. I'll wait until next week, as the old box is at home. I actually thought the new box wouldn't be a thing for weeks. It's surprising it came so quickly after I put in a request.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    i mean come on

July 2001

that is just...

you poor SOB

Fuuuuck.
    Haha, actually I didn't go to boot until May 2002. I was in the Delayed Entry Program so I could finish at least a year of school before going. For almost a year I did normal military stuff: training and field exercises with the battery (I'm an Artilleryman).

When I graduated bootcamp it was September 2002 and I flew back on 9/11/2002 with one of my buddies.

as an aside, artillery fistbump
    xlh6c3.png
    so glad i didn't join the RAF

fuck it was close though
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Today I am going to eat lunch at a fancy Portland-style gourmet food truck

Oh gentrification, I am your oblivious target demographic
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get a relatively inexpensive camera that records and can save files to like dropbox or something? I need to catch my neighbor's kids doing stuff because the rental office doesn't believe me that a teenager would throw rocks at cars, swear loudly, or stuff trash in my mailbox.

-TehSloth had to do something similar at his last place.

It makes me want to buy a gun sometimes, because teenagers in groups are fucking terrifying. But I realize that's not my rationality talking, and plus, jail time.

@Bowen

I just got a cheap webcam and some free software to handle it for me, may not be ideal if it' s gonna be pointing somewhere with any significant amount of traffic. I used this thing called splitcam to split the source so it's available to two programs, used xsplit to record all the footage and stream it to the web so I could check it remotely, and a program called vitamin d which does motion detection and will record clips when it detects motion and can shoot out an e-mail with a picture when this happens (I set it up to send it to my phone as a text. The free version of vitamin d was fine for me, it uses a pretty low resolution in the free version and only supports 1 camera, but if that's all you need it does the job. I had an x-split subscription already but I'm pretty sure there's still a free version which has everything you'll need unless you really need access to various sound codecs for streaming.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

fuck it was close though
    2005, just finished school, didn't get into any of my uni's. Actually walked into the recruitment office. So damn close.

Godspeed you guys that joined, but it would have destroyed me.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i mean come on

July 2001

that is just...

you poor SOB

Fuuuuck.
    Haha, actually I didn't go to boot until May 2002 (I was in the Delayed Entry Program so I could finish at least a year of school before going). For almost a year, I did normal military stuff, training and field exercises with the battery, I'm an Artilleryman.

When I graduated bootcamp, it was September 11th, 2002 that I flew back with one of my buddies.

Two in Iraq. On my first tour my unit, an Artillery unit, got trained to do Convoy duty and other misc security stuff and we had to trade in all of our howitzers for light armored humvee's. This was 2004, there weren't any "up-armor" humvee's yet, it was literally just steel plates welded onto the sides and bottom and a couple of sand bags. When we got into country however, half our unit went to Southern Iraq and the other half, my half, went to Abu-Ghraib and the Baghdad area and we got stuck doing both Convoy's and Prison duty.

The 2nd tour was a gigantic cluster fuck. We were on convoy's, I was a team leader and occasionally a convoy commander, but it was just damn. I was also on stop loss for 9 or so months (probably 10), so I "wasn't even supposed to be here". It's what really made me hate the military, seeing it for what it is finally. I got out when I got home from the 2nd, stayed out for about 3 months, went real poor to the point all I could eat in a day was maybe a spoonful or two of peanut butter, so I joined back up to be a Drill Sergeant, which was a huge huge mistake. I should've just stayed out because now I'm just extremely jaded and disgusted with the Army.

I value the time I put in, I'm thankful I have very minimal damage from my time in, but just god damn. I was in during my late teens and almost through all my 20's. Just a little bitter about it all.
    Evigilant on
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
    i strongly regret that i wasn't able to join the military. one of my biggest 'goddamnit' moments in life, finding out i was disqualified.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    It has never entered my mind to joined the armed forces. Even when a recruiter offered to let me put my shopping in his office while we had a chat.

No, it is not for me. I'm too pretty for war.
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    My parents cut down their kid mischief issues significantly when they got a [fake] security camera on their property

might not work as well on non-redneck teenagers

fuck it was close though
    2005, just finished school, didn't get into any of my uni's. Actually walked into the recruitment office. So damn close.

yeah that's a lot like me

they were advertising for ATC's and i thought why the fuck not, went to the recruiters, filled out all the forms, did the interviews and got declined because come on, me an ATC?

they then offered me a much lower paid and ranked (and reasonable) position which i declined because i got a bit dissalusioned with the whole thing at that point

having said that, i have a mate who joined the navy at 16 right out of school, he spent 8 years sailing around the med as a CPO, left and walked right into an offshore job with his engineering experience

he's on 60k a year now and has his own house

twat
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Man my weight kinda ballooned back up before we moved out, I was at like 245? since we'd been ordering a ton of fast food to avoid Cass' dad's assholery

Pony and his lady brought a scale when they moved in and so I gave it a shot after having had three weeks of my own cooking and almost no fast food and I am now at 235

I doubt that's going to continue to drop as rapidly but I'm definitely pleased about it

Wait. You live with Pony now?

Double couple household!?

Are you filming a sitcom?
    Just a little biter about it all.

first raven and now you too?

(seriously though I wish we did more for guys like you)

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Man my weight kinda ballooned back up before we moved out, I was at like 245? since we'd been ordering a ton of fast food to avoid Cass' dad's assholery

Pony and his lady brought a scale when they moved in and so I gave it a shot after having had three weeks of my own cooking and almost no fast food and I am now at 235

I doubt that's going to continue to drop as rapidly but I'm definitely pleased about it

Orgies in the living room.
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular

Pony and his lady are living with you guys too? So it's you, Cass, Benarwhal, Pony and his lady?
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    i strongly regret that i wasn't able to join the military. one of my biggest 'goddamnit' moments in life, finding out i was disqualified.

"I'm sorry, we can't let you in Mr. Chu, you just tested too highly on all the scales. It would be unfair to the enemy soldiers."
    vspgsp.jpg
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

they haven't told you about their deal with PATV?

fuck it was close though

they were advertising for ATC's and i thought why the fuck not, went to the recruiters, filled out all the forms, did the interviews and got declined because come on, me an ATC?

they then offered me a much lower paid and ranked (and reasonable) position which i declined because i got a bit dissalusioned with the whole thing at that point

having said that, i have a mate who joined the navy at 16 right out of school, he spent 8 years sailing around the med as a CPO, left and walked right into an offshore job with his engineering experience

twat

Haha one of my buddies who served with me left after 8 years, walked right into a programming job and is now a senior developer making 90k. He just bought a 2nd condo to use as either an office or to rent out.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Winky wrote: »

"I'm sorry, we can't let you in Mr. Chu, you just tested too highly on all the scales. It would be unfair to the enemy soldiers."

my biggest flaw is that i refuse to accept less than perfection- which can create tension in the workplace
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    I remember getting a call from a recruiter in high school and telling him in no uncertain terms to fuck off.
    eokNV.jpg
    i mean come on

July 2001

that is just...

you poor SOB

Fuuuuck.

Two in Iraq. On my first tour my unit, an Artillery unit, got trained to do Convoy duty and other misc security stuff and we had to trade in all of our howitzers for light armored humvee's. This was 2004, there weren't any "up-armor" humvee's yet, it was literally just steel plates welded onto the sides and bottom and a couple of sand bags. When we got into country however, half our unit went to Southern Iraq and the other half, my half, went to Abu-Ghraib and the Baghdad area and we got stuck doing both Convoy's and Prison duty.

The 2nd tour was a gigantic cluster fuck. We were on convoy's, I was a team leader and occasionally a convoy commander, but it was just damn. I was also on stop loss for 9 or so months (probably 10), so I "wasn't even supposed to be here". It's what really made me hate the military, seeing it for what it is finally. I got out when I got home from the 2nd, stayed out for about 3 months, went real poor to the point all I could eat in a day was maybe a spoonful or two of peanut butter, so I joined back up to be a Drill Sergeant, which was a huge huge mistake. I should've just stayed out because now I'm just extremely jaded and disgusted with the Army.

I value the time I put in, I'm thankful I have very minimal damage from my time in, but just god damn. I was in during my late teens and almost through all my 20's. Just a little biter about it all.

That is an extremly understandable reaction to have about your experience.

I feel real bad for the people who joined to have a job and get an education and got stuck on the fucking sharp end of things.

It makes my blood boil actually.

Fuck dubya and fuck Tony Blair
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I remember getting a call from a recruiter in high school and telling him in no uncertain terms to fuck off.

I don't think I've ever even seen a recruiter for our army. But like a lot of things, I suspect the Irish army simply doesn't have one.
    sig.gif
    My original decision was to join the Marine Corps and have them pay for my college, and I was going to go Infantry because "oh-rah and hell yeah let's go blow things up!". So, so so so so so so so glad that didn't happen.

My dad, a Marine, actually prevented me from doing so.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Pony and his lady are living with you guys too? So it's you, Cass, Benarwhal, Pony and his lady?

Narwhal bailed out for personal reasons
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    My biggest flaw is that I expect everyone else to be on my level.

I get upset about lack of competence around me. I get angry, I get violent.

and I get two years in prison, occasionally. Speaking of, that accounts for the gap in my CV.

so, when can I start?
    xlh6c3.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I value the time I put in, I'm thankful I have very minimal damage from my time in, but just god damn. I was in during my late teens and almost through all my 20's. Just a little biter about it all.
    I just read up about stop-loss and man, that is harsh. I can't believe they can do that.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

I don't think I've ever even seen a recruiter for our army. But like a lot of things, I suspect the Irish army simply doesn't have one.

Here they set up booths in high schools and cold call students at home.
    eokNV.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    huh so I turned on the imac to check one last time before ordering the new hdd

and it recognized the old drive

so um I guess I will do a fresh install of lion and see if it chugs along

worst case it shits out on me again and I order the new hdd
    HerrCron wrote: »

There was a base between where I lived and Sainsbury's back in Bristol so they'd occasionally have open days.

I think it might have been TA actually rather than the real army.

fuck it was close though

twat

Haha one of my buddies who served with me left after 8 years, walked right into a programming job and is now a senior developer making 90k. He just bought a 2nd condo to use as either an office or to rent out.

i want to be happy for guys like that

i really do

they worked for it and earned it

but on the other hand

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ARGLE BARGLE

*vomits with rage*
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    I just read up about stop-loss and man, that is harsh. I can't believe they can do that.

I wasn't the only one on the 2nd tour that this happened to either. So a few of us got together and bought a bunch of "STOP LOSS" tabs (think airborne tabs but instead they stay stop loss) to wear on our uniforms. I grew a beard, I stopped cutting my hair, I started wearing a keffiyeh and aviators and then my LT put me on Personal Security because I looked so out of uniform that I might actually scare people.

So I shaved and cut my hair.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    hey Timmy

Hey TL DR

How's it hippying with you today
    edited May 2013
    the recruiters who came to my high school were pretty honest and frank. i don't remember any sort of glamorization, nor talk of signing bonuses or how you'd see the world. i mean, one might still argue that appealing to people that young is predatory either way. but at least in terms of how they behaved it was fine.

once i went to the recruiter's office and looked at paperwork the glitz got piled on a little- your asvab is so high, you could do this, that, and the other, also free education!- but in the initial meeting to draw people into a real conversation they weren't really overplaying their hand or tricking kids.
    Organichu on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I think I will eat a snack pack
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.