Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    The latest in cutting edge tactical puppies

Tandem-Dog-Jumper.jpg
    919UOwT.png
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    The Army ACU's, the digital camo pattern above, are so god awful. Not only can do you only blend in around smoke and the sky, but they're uncomfortable as shit. Like a completely different stitching or fabric is used. And they rip so easily at the crotch, so when you're going commando it's more like "HELLO WORLD!"

I've had every set of Army uniforms in 12 years. The old forest BDU's, the old Desert DCU's, the ACU's. The only one I haven't had yet are the Afghanistan specific multi-cam, but there is no way in hell I ever want to get those. Not because I don't think they're better, but because getting them requires me to deploy to Afghanistan and F that noise.
    My understanding was that the digital camo patterns were more of a lucrative contract bribed than any actual proof of effectiveness.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i think i was 18 when i tried to join? it was 2005ish. got very far into the conversation, took a practice asvab, met with a recruiter from more than one branch. was extremely close to enlisting until my physical made clear that my eye wasn't reparable (as a kid i'd always assumed it was with surgery). i figured i wasn't going to be a pilot or special forces so it wouldn't be a huge problem. blah.

impossible to trace back one's life and say what would have been good or gone better or whatever but in the aggregate i really wish i'd joined the military.

the military is probably a great option for most people (in first world nations) at most periods of time, except the US and UK post 2001

like, fuck. that. shit.

you should be thanking your lucky stars your eye kept you out of Iraq and Afgahn

i'm not. i wasn't a disillusioned teenager (i mean, about other things i certainly was). i'd probably still enlist today if i had the opportunity for very similar reasons.

plenty of people joined post 9/11 and don't regret their service or their deployment, which i think is a category i would also fit given the opportunity.

I don't know. I mean I'm not going to disagree with your statement of your own feelings and character because obviously I don't know you better than you know yourself. But for me, they seem like disagreeable odds, some people who managed to score a role that kept them away from the IED's probably did come away with the positive shit that a stint in the military can give you, but for everyone else...

The odds of being killed/maimed yourself combined with the odds of being mentally scarred for life seeing it happened to a friend are just too damn high. I feel like given the circumstances that necessitate stepping up to the plate I could, like if I had been the age I am now in 1939 I would have signed up. But for Iraq and Afghanistan? Fuck that. Neither of those were a cause I consider worth dying for. I feel like Dubya and Blair should be made to answer for that.
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    If I was a hundred pounds lighter I'd join the military no question. Get me the fuck out of here and get me doing something that marginally matters.

sometimes they'll take someone interested and make you run and shit for 6 months before they send you to basic, where you will run more

I don't see why they need to make you do all this running, the bullets are plenty fast themselves.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i think i was 18 when i tried to join? it was 2005ish. got very far into the conversation, took a practice asvab, met with a recruiter from more than one branch. was extremely close to enlisting until my physical made clear that my eye wasn't reparable (as a kid i'd always assumed it was with surgery). i figured i wasn't going to be a pilot or special forces so it wouldn't be a huge problem. blah.

impossible to trace back one's life and say what would have been good or gone better or whatever but in the aggregate i really wish i'd joined the military.

the military is probably a great option for most people (in first world nations) at most periods of time, except the US and UK post 2001

like, fuck. that. shit.

you should be thanking your lucky stars your eye kept you out of Iraq and Afgahn

i'm not. i wasn't a disillusioned teenager (i mean, about other things i certainly was). i'd probably still enlist today if i had the opportunity for very similar reasons.

plenty of people joined post 9/11 and don't regret their service or their deployment, which i think is a category i would also fit given the opportunity.

I don't know. I mean I'm not going to disagree with your statement of your own feelings and character because obviously I don't know you better than you know yourself. But for me, they seem like disagreeable odds, some people who managed to score a role that kept them away from the IED's probably did come away with the positive shit that a stint in the military can give you, but for everyone else...

The odds of being killed/maimed yourself combined with the odds of being mentally scarred for life seeing it happened to a friend are just too damn high. I feel like given the circumstances that necessitate stepping up to the plate I could, like if I had been the age I am now in 1939 I would have signed up. But for Iraq and Afghanistan? Fuck that. Neither of those were a cause I consider worth dying for. I feel like Dubya and Blair should be made to answer for that.

different strokes i guess.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    basic training -- best weight loss plan
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    I've got a story about a buddy of mine being deployed on our first tour after having major back reconstruction surgery. So real quick: We all thought that would DQ him because all the docs forbade him to wear the ceramic plates in his body armor less he wants to f up his back again. So he walks into our pre-deployment records review, where they either verify you can deploy or you can't, with a big envelope full of doctor notes and recommendations and his actual x-rays from his back surgery. The guy looks at them, asks him if he can wear a helmet and still "run", he says yes, and he gets the "OK" stamp and signature.

We felt so awful for him but we couldn't stop laughing at his misfortune.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Had breakfast with former boss at a local diner.

Were having a delightful conversation about something and some old fucker butts in to rant about Obama and how "I wouldn't have come back after Vietnam if I knew what was gonna happen to this country" and "you don't feed animals in the park because they'll get dependent" so now "All the white girls are fucking the n****** for drugs and don't you tell me they ain't."

Ah, the old hometown.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    CNN Headline when I walked into work today was something about Te'os fake girlfriend being in Maxim's top 100 hottest women

so uh, can we just stop calling this a news network now?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    The latest in cutting edge tactical puppies

hrmm?
    sig.gif
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I am definitely not a cat person despite what Boo (pictured) thinks.
    OVaGPug.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Evigilant wrote: »
    The Army ACU's, the digital camo pattern above, are so god awful. Not only can do you only blend in around smoke and the sky, but they're uncomfortable as shit. Like a completely different stitching or fabric is used. And they rip so easily at the crotch, so when you're going commando it's more like "HELLO WORLD!"

I've had every set of Army uniforms in 12 years. The old forest BDU's, the old Desert DCU's, the ACU's. The only one I haven't had yet are the Afghanistan specific multi-cam, but there is no way in hell I ever want to get those. Not because I don't think they're better, but because getting them requires me to deploy to Afghanistan and F that noise.

norwegian army uniforms are super comfy. The afghanistan uniforms, I was told, was also good shit. Not that I saw people wearing that all that often, since I was in northern norway.

but if there's one thing the norwegian army actually does really well it appears to be clothes. Mainly due to the people who choose stuff do so by wearing it and walking around in it a lot. Of course, we're better at winter gear than desert gear.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hmm.

I do not understand why I keep reading Looking for Group. it is unfunny, doesn't update on a regular time schedule, and it's unfunny. Like, it's really unfunny.

Why. I don't like the art. The story is dumb. Why am I wasting time with this comic.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If I was a hundred pounds lighter I'd join the military no question. Get me the fuck out of here and get me doing something that marginally matters.

sometimes they'll take someone interested and make you run and shit for 6 months before they send you to basic, where you will run more

They stopped doing that after we started winding down the wars.

Basically the recruiters don't take you seriously when you're a chubster now. They have to cut people to keep paying for tanks and jet engines, they're not really looking to do interested people favors.

I would totally do that though, were it an option.
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hmm.

I do not understand why I keep reading Looking for Group. it is unfunny, doesn't update on a regular time schedule, and it's unfunny. Like, it's really unfunny.

Why. I don't like the art. The story is dumb. Why am I wasting time with this comic.
    Is that the one with the really egotistical author?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    also as an aside, the funniest thing ever is americans at cold response/cold challenge.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    CNN Headline when I walked into work today was something about Te'os fake girlfriend being in Maxim's top 100 hottest women

so uh, can we just stop calling this a news network now?

You know who got #1?

Miley Cyrus. Yeah.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Basically the recruiters don't take you seriously when you're a chubster now. They have to cut people to keep paying for tanks and jet engines, they're not really looking to do interested people favors.

ahh : (
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    also as an aside, the funniest thing ever is americans at cold response/cold challenge.

?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hmm.

I don't know, but it's this one: http://www.lfgcomic.com/
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

like, fuck. that. shit.

I feel like people kept voting for them so they've answered all they're going to.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Hmm.

you sound like 2/3rds the HIMYM thread
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Bwaaaah!

My LackeyCCG plugin works! That means I should be able to begin the test phase for my game Extremely soon!
    also:

Soldier-Dogs_1_LR.jpg
    919UOwT.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

?

they borrow our winter gear

and then promptly put on all of it in a variety of bizarre configurations

and then they freeze their asses off while we laugh at them.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Also good morning! Here is this.

http://i.imgur.com/t50UyBG.gif
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Today is the anniversary of the Betamax
    Hail Sony!
    Hmm.

I don't know, but it's this one: http://www.lfgcomic.com/
    yep thats the one. same guy does LICD.

ahh : (

Yeah, I was getting lots of hits in high school when I was putting feelers out. But then my NJROTC instructors found out I was planning on enlisting so they kicked my ass and convinced me to go to college first so I should do ROTC.

Then circumstances made commuting to Tampa five times a week untenable and I gained two hundred pounds because I hated myself and everyone else and now I'm working on undoing that before I think about anything else.

Oh well.

Time is the fire in which we burn.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

like, fuck. that. shit.

I feel like people kept voting for them so they've answered all they're going to.
    I really don't hold any ill will towards GWB or Blair, because I mean, I'm the one that decided to join and I don't get to pick the battles I want. The way I try to see it is: I was in, the country asked, I responded, twice, then got out so they would stop asking me.

I also couldn't vote yet when I first enlisted and it wasn't until last year did I cast my first vote (because I was so disillusioned and dumb).

Edit:
    Military dogs are so freaking awesome you guys, you have no idea.
    Evigilant on
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
    os x downloaded, now installing

fingers crossed!
    there's plenty of stuff about military life i'd like

i've said it before and i'll say it agian, if i could join the Norwegian army i would

if Scotland is a republic (well either way it won't be but you know what i mean) in five years time, i may give consideration to joining the hypothetical SDF

but joining the UK army to go to Afgahn?

Fuck. That. Noise.
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    os x downloaded, now installing

fingers crossed!

did you get your compy fixed?
    919UOwT.png

like, fuck. that. shit.

yeah, i know
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Eastern Afghanistan 2010
    The United States Army introduces Tactical Pussy.
    Modern warfare is changed forever.
    pr1frqm.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Ooh, tell me more.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage
    Hay friend

I am alright. Got a promising lead on a job for more money and less commute. It is hard to be alive but I am learning a lot. I blew a kiss to a girl at a red light and she kind of giggled and bit her tongue as we parted ways :3
    eokNV.jpg
This discussion has been closed.