Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That's not what i meant, not even remotely.

I am now 100% sure playing Depression Quest ruined my day.
    I'm actually just satirising the general misunderstanding of depression as being a direct reaction to your circumstances.

People seem to forget that major, successful figures, like Winston Churchill, can be depressed.

Sorry if that made you feel bad.

You seeing a therapist at all?

i'm seeing a psychiatrist and taking meds, but i don't see a therapist.

Thanks to the meds, i can be mostly functional... but the depression is still there...

Gurl I know how that be

Meds are great but they have side effects and sometimes it feels like you're in a dream-like state or you feel stunted cause there's this emotion you should feel and you want to feel but you just...can't?
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular

Thanks to the meds, i can be mostly functional... but the depression is still there...
    I would suggest checking out Cognitive Behavioural Therapy if you have the option available. It's one of the better ways of treating brain problems.

You're not the first person to tell me about that. Thanks for the concern...
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    it is raining pretty hard here!
    919UOwT.png
    I found Depression Quest to be uplifting

but I only chose nice choices

I wonder what happens if you deliberately sabotage yourself

You get more depressed and your day gets ruined.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ragin bro

8725308543_845829bd80.jpg

Wait wait is this an OSX failure I see before me?

we just need to light the bat signal

@syndalis

Where did you get the OSX Installer?

What machine are you trying to install this on?

Is it the factory HDD or did you upgrade?

downloaded from the interweb as part of reinstall os x

2008 imac

original hdd

I think the hdd is shot

Most likely. You can run Disk utility from the OSX installer to try and confirm... use the verify / repair options on the right when you have your HDD selected on the left list.

verify.png
    meat.jpg

I'm actually just satirising the general misunderstanding of depression as being a direct reaction to your circumstances.

People seem to forget that major, successful figures, like Winston Churchill, can be depressed.

Gurl I know how that be

Meds are great but they have side effects and sometimes it feels like you're in a dream-like state or you feel stunted cause there's this emotion you should feel and you want to feel but you just...can't?

I don't get any side-effects, luckily...

Well, that's a lie, I sleep a lot more and i have bouts of sleep paralysis... but i don't have, like, the dream-like state or anything...
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    I get depressed but its usually short bursts of total hopelessness, not long periods, at least not since like 9th grade. I prefer it this way, I guess. Easier to ignore and doesn't cause me nearly as many life problems
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I don't know what depression quest is, but it sounds like something I'd avoid.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    sometimes i feel like quitting my job and creating a non-profit that specializes in giving hugs over the internet
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    i want a retina mbp so bad

my mbp is a 2011 model though so it will be a while before i upgrade
    919UOwT.png

Gurl I know how that be

Well, that's a lie, I sleep a lot more and i have bouts of sleep paralysis... but i don't have, like, the dream-like state or anything...

How long have you been on them? I was on Prozac briefly in college and weaned off it when I started to feel emotionally "flat"

I also slept more and had like zero libido

sleep paralysis seems not good though, that's scary shit
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

Is FCC visiting you?
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    428674_10151926522204852_1911294425_n.jpg

COMPLEMENTARY

YOU SHAME ME AMFE

I didn't make the image you hitler
    Lh96QHG.png
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I get depressed but its usually short bursts of total hopelessness, not long periods, at least not since like 9th grade. I prefer it this way, I guess. Easier to ignore and doesn't cause me nearly as many life problems

You shouldn't ignore it.

I did and then it suddenly started getting worse and worse until i just stopped giving a shit about everything. That's real bad.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Hm. I think... I think I may have to stop drinking coffee. This past week, as soon as I have any, I've become super anxious. Even more anxious than normal, which is already pretty anxious.

But I like coffee. Maybe I can switch to decaff...
    edited May 2013
    Gooey wrote: »

Is FCC visiting you?

@fuzzy cumulonimbus cloud lives nearby!

IS THIS YOUR DOING FCC
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    ragin bro

@syndalis

2008 imac

original hdd

I think the hdd is shot

Most likely. You can run Disk utility from the OSX installer to try and confirm... use the verify / repair options on the right when you have your HDD selected on the left list.

verify.png

hmm

8726538224_193a9d2468_c.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I miss the happy FCC that brought us a moment of shade on hot summer days.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

I would suggest checking out Cognitive Behavioural Therapy if you have the option available. It's one of the better ways of treating brain problems.

You're not the first person to tell me about that. Thanks for the concern...
    Yo dude get CBT.

Hey I hear you should get CBT.

CBT man, from what I hear it really works.

saying you have depression turns everyone into Navi.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    my dog is driving me crazy
    428674_10151926522204852_1911294425_n.jpg

COMPLEMENTARY

YOU SHAME ME AMFE

I didn't make the image you hitler

Heifer you wanna play

cause we can play

tumblr_me9ludVgL11r959m5.gif
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    play fuck quest instead
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
    sometimes i feel like quitting my job and creating a non-profit that specializes in giving hugs over the internet

The equivalent of being that guy who stands around with a sign that reads "free hugs!"

Gurl I know how that be

How long have you been on them? I was on Prozac briefly in college and weaned off it when I started to feel emotionally "flat"

I also slept more and had like zero libido

sleep paralysis seems not good though, that's scary shit

About a year and three quarters?

I don't know how it affected my emotions. My emotions are a clusterfuck to gauge...

And yes, Sleep Paralysis is the pits. i just had a bout this morning. i was trying to sleep a bit more, have a pleasant dream featuring Skippy Dumptruck and me building a go-kart track and then BAM, i wake up to a different dream where i'm trapped in my own bed and can't move or breathe...
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

The equivalent of being that guy who stands around with a sign that reads "free hugs!"

Or free pelvic exams.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

You shouldn't ignore it.

I did and then it suddenly started getting worse and worse until i just stopped giving a shit about everything. That's real bad.

I went to a therapist for a little while but I don't think it really helped all that much. All I did was avoid saying things that would make obvious things I already know but try to ignore. It didn't seem like a great use of my time/parents money at that point
    G2Dcf.jpg
    That point for me, I mean. I guess I wasn't ready to face those realities yet
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    @feral what OS do you use?
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    ragin bro

@syndalis

2008 imac

original hdd

I think the hdd is shot

verify.png

hmm

8726538224_193a9d2468_c.jpg

Delete the partition, make a new one, and try again?

'swat I would do.
    meat.jpg

You shouldn't ignore it.

I went to a therapist for a little while but I don't think it really helped all that much. All I did was avoid saying things that would make obvious things I already know but try to ignore. It didn't seem like a great use of my time/parents money at that point

You're obviously just a drug seeker.

You shouldn't ignore it.

i understand.

But you do need help and you should make an effort to get it. it's hard to open up. it's really, really hard, but it's worth it because it will make your life 1000% more awesome.
    MadCaddy wrote: »

Or free pelvic exams.

What? Free pelvic exam dude is completely legit. He gave me a candy afterwards and everything.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Fred Astaire, damnit.

Can we please bring back the top hat?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    In a speech Wednesday at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) dismissed progressivism as "arrogant and condescending."

“Progressivism is well-intentioned but it is also — in my humble opinion — arrogant and condescending,” Ryan said, according to The Hill. “Instead of helping people make their own decisions, it makes those decisions for them. It makes Washington the center of power and politicians the center of attention.”

The 2012 GOP vice presidential nominee conceded that "the Left keeps winning elections."

“Why? Well, you can see the appeal. In uncertain times, people look for security. Progressives seem to have an answer … the progressive state offers a sense of security," Ryan said. But it’s a false sense of security because government can’t keep all its promises.”
    I have a feeling that he couldn't define Progressivism if asked.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ffahaha
    tumblr_meisp77aIU1rzpzk7.jpg

comp2.jpg
    TehSpectre on
    sigvf.jpg

You shouldn't ignore it.

I did it for a while and it wasn't bad but I got the distinct impression my therapist was like, your life is good stop being sad

and I felt like that is the fucking point of why I am here

so I stopped going

You shouldn't ignore it.

You're obviously just a drug seeker.

Please don't say that, even ironically...

I still am afraid that i come off as one. Even though i need my meds to function.

That's one of those things that, even if you're saying as a joke, can make people think twice about getting the help they need.

Or free pelvic exams.

What? Free pelvic exam dude is completely legit. He gave me a candy afterwards and everything.

Shit man, I never find the good deals. :(
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    I want a beefy new iMac

I would run all the softsynths on it : o
    Delete the partition, make a new one, and try again?

'swat I would do.

I will try that now
This discussion has been closed.