Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    fucking piece of shit gel trays ruining my run

@winky

the gel fucked up under the comb and didn't make wells or something so when I pipetted in my pcr stuff it all just like...floated away

this is the second time this happened

you would think I would learn and check first

nope.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Someone on /r/programming suggesting you use floats to represent money. Teehee.

Maybe he needs to represent A LOT of money.

That's even worse! A float is an approximation, not an exact number. It always has the same number of significant digits, so the bigger the number gets, the more digits disappear.

One trillion represented as a float is 999999995904. A double is better, but is still imprecise and rounding errors will accumulate over time.

Hasn't anyone seen Hackers or Office Space?
    Cinders on
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Apparently the engine they use for Battlefield doesn't support the WiiU.

They didn't rule out future titles, just aren't currently developing any.

Most of the people who play EA Sports games aren't buying WiiU anyway.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

That's even worse! A float is an approximation, not an exact number. It always has the same number of significant digits, so the bigger the number gets, the more digits disappear.

One trillion represented as a float is 999999995904. A double is better, but is still imprecise and rounding errors will accumulate over time.

interesting. So you use some dynamic type to store the number? Perhaps something like a linked-list of digits?
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    Arch I demand to know who made your avatar
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Most people full stop aren't buying WiiU.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    tyrannus wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I wonder how possible it'd be for me to work in Hong Kong.

hm.

How much of Sleeping Dogs did you complete?

ALL OF IT

the food seems great

A man who does not eat pork bun, is not a real man.
    b846012ee0e5d49aaac49e10f10d4309-d5c7mai.png

oh shit beaten to this joke
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    God damn it puppy! She just shit all over her bedding in her kennel, which is in my room, near my bed.

*sigh*

Oh how I hope her house training kicks in sooner rather than later.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

It's more than that. The head of EA said that they have no future titles for the Wii U.

The frostbite engine is the future for EA, and they are not porting it. Fuck, iOS and android are getting frostbite, so it's not a matter of power, it's the fact that the 360 is outselling the Wii U fourfold or more every month, and its a seven year old console with a new model coming out this year.

Unless something magical happens, it's gone. 30k a month is fucking shameful for a new console in its first year.
    meat.jpg
    For puppies focus on the routine.
    You want it working like clockwork before you start shaking things up.

That said dogs usually don't go where they sleep, so she could just have been sick.
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Don't you think it's a little belittling or whatever? Registered User regular
    i got into the Steam Trading Card beta.

So far, it seems like a really bad way to get people to spend more on F2P games Valve owns... Because the only way to get more cards is apparently to buy TF2 hats and DOTA2 hats with your money...

I will sell you TF2 or Dota hats for your money
    frosteey.gif
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Thank you BeNarwhal and TehSloth!
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

or superman 3
    Per3th.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I do not make a ton of money even as a chef but taking home a paycheque every 2 weeks that has 4 digits on it even after taxes and everything is pretty neat.

knock on all the wood, but there is a job opening up in another department at work that i think i'm in with a chance for.

if i get it, i will, after paying my student loans and all of my bills and such, bring home my entire month's salary right now.

but knocking on all of the woods
    Lh96QHG.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Out of fuel.

G'night [chat]! Will likely pop in post-lunch tomorrow with some brilliant witticism, no doubt. :o

Be excellent to each other.

But especially the following person:
    It's you!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

or superman 3

*nods

respect
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    nah

i don't know what song to post. so.
    DasUberEdward on
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Out of fuel.

G'night [chat]! Will likely pop in post-lunch tomorrow with some brilliant witticism, no doubt. :o

Be excellent to each other.

But especially the following person:
    It's you!

Yay!
    For puppies focus on the routine.
    You want it working like clockwork before you start shaking things up.

That said dogs usually don't go where they sleep, so she could just have been sick.
    I know, it's really my fault for not taking her out immediately after she woke up from a nap. I'm not angry with her, more along the lines of just frustration of having to clean up more dog shit.

She's worrying me though: she hasn't been eating much of her food. I'm trying to ensure she gets 2 cups a day AT LEAST, but she just doesn't eat. I'm not leaving the bowl out for her to graze on, so when she drinks water I'll put the bowl out and signal her over to sniff the food and try to coax her into eating some but it just doesn't happen. I hope it's just depression from being away from the rest of her litter and her parents, but it's got me worried that she's not getting enough to eat.
    "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    i'm so angry.

That latest Steam thing is just so predatory.

i hate it so much and I'll probably end up buying so many fucking cards...
    Also good night Narwhal.
    How old is the puppy.

Also post pictures of the puppy.
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to get an interest, at least just curiosity at this point, on Ancient Egypt. I find it interesting that a nation that developed relatively at the same time in Mesopotamia would fall back technologically so hard that they would be considered the land where Myth and reality is combined.

If anyone has read Jarred Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" how do you find his idea of geographically situation playing a large role?
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

interesting. So you use some dynamic type to store the number? Perhaps something like a linked-list of digits?

Most popular languages are going to have some kind of Decimal type. The only one of those that I've used is BigDecimal, a low-performance implementation that stores it as a string.

What I personally use is a pair of unsigned integers, one representing dollars and the other cents, as well as a bool representing positive and negative. You can play around with exact types as necessary, 64 bits unsigned is plenty for dollars and you can use a char for cents if you want, since you only need to count up to 100. And of course if you don't mind losing a bit you can get rid of the bool and use a signed long instead. Using ints instead of an arbitrary precision data structure opens you up to overflow errors, but you can handle that in whatever math functions you write.
    The new season of Arrested Development begins on my birthday.
    Ermergerd, evigilant.

Had I ovaries, they'd be exploded.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SknsVU9V5ZY

here you go
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    New Riddick film looks like some coward decided to try and repeat the first movie with only a nod to the second (superior) movie.

I hate Hollywood.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    i'm so angry.

That latest Steam thing is just so predatory.

i hate it so much and I'll probably end up buying so many fucking cards...

21st I think you have an addiction

let's go to a Steamoholics Anonymous meeting
    turtlesig.jpg
    Look at those pointy ears!
    Ermergerd, evigilant.

Had I ovaries, they'd be exploded.
    Hahaha, I cannot walk her around my city without every female stopping and wanting to pet her. Every woman I have ever come across during a walk absolutely swoons over her.

It's great.

• y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    The new season of Arrested Development begins on my birthday.

isn't it dropping all at once in one huge self referential joke bomb
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    whats the best way to learn basic excel shit

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SknsVU9V5ZY

here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8SOkbRtwsQ

but purity ring is way better
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular

I think a couple longs would suffice.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Evigilant wrote: »
    How old is the puppy.

Also post pictures of the puppy.
    She's 9 weeks old. Here is a picture of her during her nap and playing with a toy when she's not shitting all around my apartment:
    923550_10151922854689745_1651414884_n.jpg

Has her food been changed recently? Like from (generic dog food brand) to (raw food)?

Caveman Paws on