Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    zP9kTfe.jpg

Which of the Dark Gods from below are they summoning?
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So I am going to cut my teeth on Gundam PODs this weekend.

Do I play as the Federation (gundams) or Zeon (zakus)?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    If you are not studying for the CPA:
    What the hell are you waiting for? Get on it. I don’t want to hear the “it won’t be relevant in my next job because...” speech. I’m telling you -- the job market is tight -- your competition coming out of public is every peer of yours that is also looking to bail from their respective Big4 ship. If I’m an HR rep and I have 15 résumés on my desk, I can easily widdle the pile to eight if I remove the candidates that are not certified or are not working on it.

Heheh

Are you laughing because he/she doesn't know how to spell 'whittle'?
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    5249_1091154281027_1291607485_30240.jpg

I miss this dog. She was a little insane, but I loved her.
  • redxredx Dublin, CARegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Someone on /r/programming suggesting you use floats to represent money. Teehee.

Maybe he needs to represent A LOT of money.

That's even worse! A float is an approximation, not an exact number. It always has the same number of significant digits, so the bigger the number gets, the more digits disappear.

One trillion represented as a float is 999999995904. A double is better, but is still imprecise and rounding errors will accumulate over time.

interesting. So you use some dynamic type to store the number? Perhaps something like a linked-list of digits?

I think a couple longs would suffice.

MSSQL is nice, uses essentialy a 64-bit integer with two decimals in the default money format. Shouldn't really ever be problematic with dollars, although maybe if you were using like, dongs or pesos or something you could overflow it.

that's like ~2*10^19. I don't think there is that much money in any currency.
    RedX is taking a stab a moving out west, and will be near San Francisco from May 14 till June 29.
    Click here for a horrible H/A thread with details.
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Latest steam thing?

Cards?

Okay, it's the worst.

See, they decided to give trading cards for playing some select games.

Like, not playing trading cards, regular-ass trading cards, just an image and a title.

So if you play Portal 2, you can get 4 cards, at random.

There's a series of cards for these games and if you get all of them, so all 8 Portal 2 Trading Cards, you can destroy them to get a badge, a profile background, a special emoticon and 100 steam XP.

Problem is, you can only get 4 cards from Portal 2 in your entire life. So to get the full series, you need to trade games/buy cards on the marketplace with real money. and once you get all the cards, you can keep them or use them up.

And you can gather the series multiple times to get more backgrounds and emoticons.

Of course, there's an exception to the whole "only 4 cards in your account's lifetime" thing. F2P games like TF2 or DOTA2 let you get more cards if you spend money in their microtransactions stores.

For every 10 dollars you spend on TF2 items, you have one more card drop.

So as it stands, for, say Portal 2, only half the people can ever get the full set and at least half the people who own it will have to get rid of their cards from it.

it's bullshit and i hope they change the system, or scrap it altogether. it's nice to be able to have special profile backgrounds and badges and such from playing games, but the way they made it is so fucking predatory, it makes me angry.

I read like, a quarter of that and my eyes just glazed over.

That sounds way too complicated for me.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i made shakshuka it's pretty dang good

hey i posted my recipe for this once in the cooking thread

what is your recipe ?
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Latest steam thing?

Cards?

Okay, it's the worst.

See, they decided to give trading cards for playing some select games.

Like, not playing trading cards, regular-ass trading cards, just an image and a title.

So if you play Portal 2, you can get 4 cards, at random.

There's a series of cards for these games and if you get all of them, so all 8 Portal 2 Trading Cards, you can destroy them to get a badge, a profile background, a special emoticon and 100 steam XP.

Problem is, you can only get 4 cards from Portal 2 in your entire life. So to get the full series, you need to trade games/buy cards on the marketplace with real money. and once you get all the cards, you can keep them or use them up.

And you can gather the series multiple times to get more backgrounds and emoticons.

Of course, there's an exception to the whole "only 4 cards in your account's lifetime" thing. F2P games like TF2 or DOTA2 let you get more cards if you spend money in their microtransactions stores.

For every 10 dollars you spend on TF2 items, you have one more card drop.

So as it stands, for, say Portal 2, only half the people can ever get the full set and at least half the people who own it will have to get rid of their cards from it.

it's bullshit and i hope they change the system, or scrap it altogether. it's nice to be able to have special profile backgrounds and badges and such from playing games, but the way they made it is so fucking predatory, it makes me angry.

I read like, a quarter of that and my eyes just glazed over.

That sounds way too complicated for me.

All you gotta know is that Steam is now giving everyone half as many cards as everyone needs and letting them sell it, for a fee, and giving away prizes for getting a whole series of cards.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    AOO2MZI.jpg

An imgur which befits the theme of this [chat] WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR FEELINGS OF YOUTH
    Lh96QHG.png
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    that 70s show!

saw it from across the gym today on a tv, remembered that it's on netflix. love this show. we used to watch like 2 episodes a day when I worked at radioshack
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I used to have a bunch of polaroids of all the pets I had growing up.

Then I went to college and my bedroom was literally (not a joke this time) turned into a trash room.

Nothing I didn't take with me freshman year still exists from my childhood.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    That kid from nevermind isn't naked. BOO
    Variable wrote: »
    that 70s show!

saw it from across the gym today on a tv, remembered that it's on netflix. love this show. we used to watch like 2 episodes a day when I worked at radioshack

was appointment viewing in my house

my mom liked to reminisce about her squandered youth
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor

Is this even a choice? Zakus all the way.
    falasig.png
    Also if they made That 70s Show this season, with the same gap, it would be set in 1991.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Inquisitor

It's all very like, old school gundam in this game, so, a lot of the federation side is still made up of non-gundam robots, which is really endearing.

But... yeah Zakus are really rad.

Edit: The lists:

http://www.gundam-kizuna.jp/detail/msstage/ms/index.php
    Inquisitor on
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Also if they made That 70s Show this season, with the same gap, it would be set in 1991.

wow
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    But just think about it! Gulf War jokes, the Batman cartoon starting in season 2, a time before Star Wars Special Editions.

An untainted age of innocence. An Eden within memory.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Inquisitor

It's all very like, old school gundam in this game, so, a lot of the federation side is still made up of non-gundam robots, which is really endearing.

I use to play it when I lived there. So did Coke.

I used Zakus. Because Zakus>all.
    falasig.png
    when eric is high in the pilot and they are moving the wall behind his parents

that's one of my favorite moments in tv. and I like tv.
    It's just a really great show.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Inquisitor

Well then I shall carry on the tradition. :D
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    But just think about it! Gulf War jokes, the Batman cartoon starting in season 2, a time before Star Wars Special Editions.

You can't just bandi about the bat like that.

It's not fair, it wields too much power over the common nerd.
    It's scary though. I am slowly approaching the age where these 20 years later things are encroaching on stuff I was cognizant enough to deal with as a kid.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    i'm off to bed.

Maybe my spirits will be higher tomorrow.
    Inquisitor

That game is awesome. I wish I played more. No arcade near me I use to go to Kofu and play with Coke.

But man blow up folks in Osaka from Tokyo and Kofu was rad.
    falasig.png

You can't just bandi about the bat like that.

It's not fair, it wields too much power over the common nerd.

I have eaten from the tree of the knowledge of jub jub and jedi rock. It is a garden to which I may never return.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    I so badly want one of those crazy japanese arcades to be nearby!
    Inquisitor

That game is awesome. I wish I played more. No arcade near me I use to go to Kofu and play with Coke.

But man blow up folks in Osaka from Tokyo and Kofu was rad.

I will try to rain death from the North upon the rest of Japan.

Because really someone has to put those Tokyo-ites in their place.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

you go to hell

you go to hell and you die

id be one year old
    I'd be 4. :D
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    So I am going to cut my teeth on Gundam PODs this weekend.

Do I play as the Federation (gundams) or Zeon (zakus)?

Zeon, anything else and you are a scrub
    I would be 8 and be into Ninja Turtles and Batman hardcore. Also pretty sure 91 I got my genesis.
    falasig.png
    My oldest memory is from 1992, actually. It is not a happy one.

But do you know what is happy?

This fucking dog:

http://imgur.com/gallery/xA6tQ
    Lh96QHG.png
    My oldest memory goes back to the 80's. I remember the Berlin Wall falling. I remember camping in 1986 in my backyard with my friends. Also baseball with my dad.
    falasig.png
    edited May 2013
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

you go to hell

you go to hell and you die

id be one year old

Bow before me puny single digiters!

My knees pop if I stand up too quick :p
    Caveman Paws on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    My oldest memories are things you wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time

like tears in rain
    turtlesig.jpg
    I decided to watch this because Total Biscuit and Wil Weaton. But it also has Greg Zeschuk of old school bioware fame. Which is entertaining to my geek self.

http://youtu.be/BGaCjM2hal4
    falasig.png
    I don't have anything against will weaton.

But apart from stand by me and tng, what has he done?

I'm being kind by not deducting tng from his tally on account of BBT.