Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Back in Kansas City. @riemannlives did AutoRealm prove at all helpful?

I took a look and decided I'd rather stick with photoshop for now.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Saw a preview for some comedy about interning at google. All I could think was "wow. They've managed to set a sports movie in the tech industry."
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Why is there a poo emoji in the new Google Hangouts? Is there that much demand for pooing people in messages? o.O

Don't ask questions you don't want answered, friendo.

Hm... Touché
    工事中
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Back in Kansas City. riemannlives did AutoRealm prove at all helpful?

I took a look and decided I'd rather stick with photoshop for now.

Cool.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Is there a trick to beating the Dragon?
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Wut is candy box?

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Just bought a pack of cigarettes from the bartender. He just told me all about the resort staff black market cigarette trade.

I feel like this could be a documentary on HBO's vice
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

Don't always use the same motion and pressure.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Wut is candy box?

it's a game you win by not playing.

http://candies.aniwey.net/

Basically, every second, you get a candy. You can eat the candy or not eat the candy and, well, it grows organically from that concept.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I need a function that monotonically maps 0 to 1 to 0 to infinity. What's a good candidate?
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Why is there a poo emoji in the new Google Hangouts? Is there that much demand for pooing people in messages? o.O

Hm... Touché

Touché
    Tushy
    Butt
    Poop

Stop messing with my mind!
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Though honestly the whole Boër thing is weird, since it's a historical cultural thing, a current thing and a profession.

But if we had a national dress, it would be hiking boots, khaki shorts, button up shirt and a hat.
    Apparently, the managers control that shit like Avon Barksdale. Mrs. seen is getting the money from the safe... I hope she comes back before this friendly exchange turns into a The Wire: Miami episode
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Just bought a pack of cigarettes from the bartender. He just told me all about the resort staff black market cigarette trade.

If I were a braver criminal, and had a reason to go to New York frequently, I would buy cartons in VA and make a killing up there.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Wut is candy box?

Basically, every second, you get a candy. You can eat the candy or not eat the candy and, well, it grows organically from that concept.

Hmmmm.... I'm playing... I think... this does not make much sense...
  • ElkiElki Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/google-hangouts-sms-integration
    Google expanded its chat / video conferencing offerings in a big way with its new Google+ Hangouts platform, and it looks like its intent on making it even more all-purpose in the future. Responding to a question on her Google+ page, the company's community manager for Hangouts and Chat, Dori Storbeck, confirmed that SMS integration is "coming soon," noting that it's been one of the most requested features.

Dun dun dun.
    Jafar-Panahi_sig2.jpgroyalist_pasig.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Wut is candy box?

my second life character
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    This is interesting. I received paperwork today for a student loan that is definitely not mine, I even double checked with the federal loan services website to make sure.

Hmm.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I bet Cap is nausiantingly pro abstinence before marriage.
    This is interesting. I received paperwork today for a student loan that is definitely not mine, I even double checked with the federal loan services website to make sure.

Hmm.

I'm not saying let's go to Tahiti.

But let's shall.
    ronya wrote: »
    I need a function that monotonically maps 0 to 1 to 0 to infinity. What's a good candidate?

tan(2x/pi) is a good starter

obviously you can't do so for the closed set 0-1 (including both endpoints).

But for the open set (0,1) or either semiopen set [0,1) or (1,0] then something like:

(for [0,1) )
    f(x) = 1 - 1/(1-x)

I think that's right. but double check it.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Chanus wrote: »

If I were a braver criminal, and had a reason to go to New York frequently, I would buy cartons in VA and make a killing up there.

I quit in Jan. this is a moment of feminine weakness, but last I checked they were $13 in NYC.

This resorts gift store is selling for $11. Fuck that
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

or (1/(1-x)) - 1

I quit in Jan. this is a moment of feminine weakness, but last I checked they were $13 in NYC.

They're still under $4 here.

Hmm.

I'm not saying let's go to Tahiti.

But let's shall.

ITT you're a criminal looking for a game, yo
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    actually on reflection the whole way I am going about this is hella numerically unstable
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    look @madcaddy

i mostly come here to fuck around and talk about my dick, so i get where you're coming from

so if you dont want to put a ton of effort into your posts well that's fine. i dont either. look at this horrible lack of proper capitalization and grammar going on right here.

but if you start engaging people in discussions regarding fairly technical topics that they are very knowledgeable on, you should probably take some extra time to collect your thoughts. i mean, i read most of your more detailed posts out of curiousity, but i honestly have a hard time following them as well, so i dont think they are being overly critical.

and i can only speak for myself, but i am genuinely interested in your thoughts! i think others are as well, so please don't feel like you are being dogpiled or marginalized

Oh I appreciate your sentiments, it's more the sense of entitlement, and some distaste for some things I saw that I wasn't supposed to that made me really go over the edge as far as putting the cards on the table. I just wanted to understand if my words are carrying weight, or if I'm pissing in the wind to entrenched interests, and really was just wasting everyone's time as I'm not the Internet troll type.. I kinda got backdoored into the posting on these forums route.

Now, I agree 100% about giving those with knowledge the respect and patience to hear them out, and I do wish I could spend more time actually composing papers on these topics, but Daddy's gotta pay the bills, so I usually write my posts stop and start over the span of several minutes and can lose some of the delicacy/knowledge that is needed on the sensitive topics, but I feel that my track record at this point should prove I'm amicable, if a little crass due to my nothing sacred/no limit hard knock life I got dealt. I had originally came here because I figured we were more like than different, and it's the lack of benefit of doubt and some of the callous social gaming that is just growing tiresome.

I appreciate the sentiment here tremendously, btw. Makes me glad I've spent the time bothering to try and express some of my thoughts when I've read things on here, I'm not really the outspoken political type which is why the passion is the thing that's weird With me.
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    Irond Will wrote: »

that also will have a problem at x=1 so the domain would need to be the semiopen set [0,1) like the example I gave.

They're still under $4 here.

Fuck
    You
    (Bloomberg)
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

gif.latex?\frac{1}{1-x}-%201#.gif
    dkmouthsig.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular

Hm... Touché

Touché
    Tushy
    Butt
    Poop

Stop messing with my mind!

:bz

There's also a heart emoji that has hair stubble or something. Makes it kinda look like a scrotum. What the crap, Google? o.O
    工事中
    I'm playing Candy Box...

Wut is candy box?

Hmmmm.... I'm playing... I think... this does not make much sense...

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    I went to the washateria this afternoon. A stranger asked me for quarters so he could use the washateria. I could spare four so I gave them to him. He walked across the street to a nearby convenience store and bought a beer.

*grumble grumble grumble*
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    My mom said I have a shelf for a stomach and I look like a sausage in my clothes.

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS
    I'm not really concerned about the limits here, I just need to detect whether it's significantly different from infinity (yeah)

hence f(whatever) = infinity. otherwise I get some large number with a large standard error which doesn't tell me anything.

abs(tan(2x/pi)) would do.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I bet Cap is nausiantingly pro abstinence before marriage.

He would be so disgustingly conservative socially.

But maybe not so much about economics and government policy.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Hmm.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/25/man-who-ran-away-with-accidental-10-million-from-bank-sent-to-jail/
    Struggling New Zealand small-business owner applies for a $100,000 overdraft from his bank to finance the gas station he operates with his mother. 32-year-old Hui “Leo” Gao wakes up the next day to discover $10 million has been magically deposited into his account.

Mortious wrote: »

Hmm.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/25/man-who-ran-away-with-accidental-10-million-from-bank-sent-to-jail/
    Struggling New Zealand small-business owner applies for a $100,000 overdraft from his bank to finance the gas station he operates with his mother. 32-year-old Hui “Leo” Gao wakes up the next day to discover $10 million has been magically deposited into his account.

new zealanders are taking out student loans in my name?
    Lh96QHG.png