Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Gender equality damnit!

If a girl wants to go somewhere specific for a date, she should treat her boyfriend to it instead of assuming the guy will pick up the bill on dates.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahagahagahaha
    *gasp*
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    My oven beeps when it reaches a certain temp

But the beeps hit me right in the anxiety nerve.

I feel like bolting up and apologizing while simultaneously putting an end to whatever to stop the beeping. But the feeling only lasts a couple seconds.

I should get a pot liscence.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Behold, my pretty semi-formal dress. Not bad for ordering it on Saturday in a panic because I forgot all about this event.
    8746246900_e38013a8bb_z.jpg

Also, I am totally less fat than I used to be. It feels nice. :)

You need a necklace to go with it.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    GOD DAMMIT PUBLIX
    FML

http://imgur.com/8rlykIZ.jpg

what

it's bread
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    My mom said I have a shelf for a stomach and I look like a sausage in my clothes.

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS

That is the cruelest thing a mother has ever said!

It's like a quote from Lucille Bluth.

She was like "WHAT IS WITH THAT SHELF? YOU'VE ONLY BEEN HOME FROM BOOT CAMP FOR A MONTH!" then she said I looked like a sausage and my pants looked like they were too tight on me (THEY'RE NOT) and my dad goes "It's the casing"

I don't have any cadio I can do with my legs still fucked up though! So all I got is pilates, yoga and punching my ball.

Your legs are fucked up Mim?

Yeah, from the running in boot camp. I can't walk long distances without taking breaks and my left foot is messed up on the bottom. I'm seeing a doctor about it on the 21st to find out what's up with them and how to fix them. So I need to come up with a cardio work out that doesn't involve jumping, running, walking...or swimming. I wish I could swim though because I love swimming but there are no pools near me!

*hugs*
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gender equality damnit!

If a girl wants to go somewhere specific for a date, she should treat her boyfriend to it instead of assuming the guy will pick up the bill on dates.

*gasp*

In my experience, both parties split that sort of thing; man pays half the time, woman pays half the time.

I don't see any reason for either person to bear the bigger burden in dating when there's enough other things to worry about.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Hey I was right!
    The inbreeding depression is a reduction of mean phenotypic values in animals that are inbred. We report here the existence of significant inbreeding depression for body measurements in SPB horses, which affects both performance and the EBVs ranking order.

Maybe...
    Thus, no overall large effects of inbreeding, microsatellite heterozygosity, and mean d2 on morphological traits were observed in the Lipizzan horse.

Madcaddy

Um, I'd go with the work from brisnet and The Bloodstock Group as their sample sizes are a bit larger, and their data is pretty amazing.

@Madcaddy

I can't seem to find what you are talking about. I found the websites for each, but don't really know how to interpret them in any sort of context as I am entirely unfamiliar with horse breeding.

I can post things like what I did, i.e. population genetics studies of horse breeds, but I am not sure how to get my hands on or interpret horse breed data.

My point is, in an evolutionary context "weakening bloodlines" or whatever you were talking about (specific to horses) is a well-known phenomena of inbred stocks, as well as stocks that have small effective population sizes (both of which apply to thoroughbred horses).

That is, as you limit the amount of incoming new genetic material, and consistently select for certain traits over others (speed etc), as well as select for uniformity, you get strange phenotypic effects. The general evolutionary answer is "inbreeding depression", that is, a reduced level of phenotypic something due to lots of different effects, most usually due to dangerous or deleterious homozygote increases (i.e. having the same recessive allele from both parents), coupled with less "heterozygote advantage" where the dangerous allelle is "silenced" by being grouped with a positive dominant allele.

As I haven't really studied horses (as mentioned, I hate them), this is my educated guess as to what is happening in modern thoroughbreds, and some research seems to back that up, but other research disagrees.

The important thing, and what I want you to learn from this is that whatever the fuck is happening in horses currently is most likely not Darwinian evolution in the classical sense (i.e. through natural selection) for two reasons.

One- we are doing the selecting, i.e. by definition not natural (although this is a philosophical answer) and
    Two- Natural selection kind of works at cross-purposes with regards to inbreeding depression. Ideally natural selection would remove deleterious alleles from the gene pool each generation, but in forced inbred lines, this doesn't happen, and even if it did, natural selection can't remove 100% of deleterious alleles ever.

A lot of this is talking out of my ass because I know shit about horse breeding, but maybe you can fill in where I don't know. This is mostly based on my limited knowledge of population genetics, but interestingly the wiki page for inbreeding depression has pictures of horses, so I feel more validated.

This kind of got away from your original point, but that's alright because your point was mostly joking, but this is what happens when you distract an evolutionary biologist with the "D" word.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Huh, my credit limit went up on my card.

Surely this is a sign from the universe that I should charge a new living room furniture set to it immediately.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    @quid

I didn't run any further. I still did 2 miles. But I MOP's "Ante Up" on repeat and went as hard as I could, and arm curled as hard as I could, and crunched until I couldn't anymore.

A little exhausted but I feel that I did the right thing. I will have to do pushups and squats and stuff tomorrow.
    Oh god the wikipedia page for inbreeding depression cites a charlesworth paper uggghhhh get out of my head charlesworthessss

(i read their book this semester and it melted my brain)
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gender equality damnit!

*gasp*

In my experience, both parties split that sort of thing; man pays half the time, woman pays half the time.

I don't see any reason for either person to bear the bigger burden in dating when there's enough other things to worry about.

This is the nice thing about being married, I just use her money all the time.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Gender equality damnit!

*gasp*

sometimes it is nice to treat your partner to a dinner, but sometimes you're low on funds so you dutch it up

the system works!

i like being gregarious though, so i usually pay for people when i am able
    Lh96QHG.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    This is basically me right before sex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ks5j1vjho

(oh god, it's so weird to say that now that another forumer knows what I'm like right before and during sex)

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    My mom said I have a shelf for a stomach and I look like a sausage in my clothes.

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS

She was like "WHAT IS WITH THAT SHELF? YOU'VE ONLY BEEN HOME FROM BOOT CAMP FOR A MONTH!" then she said I looked like a sausage and my pants looked like they were too tight on me (THEY'RE NOT) and my dad goes "It's the casing"

I don't have any cadio I can do with my legs still fucked up though! So all I got is pilates, yoga and punching my ball.

Yeah, from the running in boot camp. I can't walk long distances without taking breaks and my left foot is messed up on the bottom. I'm seeing a doctor about it on the 21st to find out what's up with them and how to fix them. So I need to come up with a cardio work out that doesn't involve jumping, running, walking...or swimming. I wish I could swim though because I love swimming but there are no pools near me!

Bicycle exercises while on your back? Not the best in the world but in a pinch it should help.

I don't have a bike either!

So I guess I'm stuck with pilates and yoga (not that I'm stuck with that really because I love pilates and yoga)
    Mim: how is cycling on your foot?

If not that, kettlebell work out vids (any weight will work).

I think you mentioned punching a bag. Which is probably the best option.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    What event is this btw Raven?

It's just the senior week formal dance/concert thing, kind of the college equivalent to prom I guess!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

(oh god, it's so weird to say that now that another forumer knows what I'm like right before and during sex)

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

Sarks, is she really like that?

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

YOU. WHO ELSE!?
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hey I was right!
    The inbreeding depression is a reduction of mean phenotypic values in animals that are inbred. We report here the existence of significant inbreeding depression for body measurements in SPB horses, which affects both performance and the EBVs ranking order.

Maybe...
    Thus, no overall large effects of inbreeding, microsatellite heterozygosity, and mean d2 on morphological traits were observed in the Lipizzan horse.

Madcaddy

Um, I'd go with the work from brisnet and The Bloodstock Group as their sample sizes are a bit larger, and their data is pretty amazing.

Madcaddy

I can't seem to find what you are talking about. I found the websites for each, but don't really know how to interpret them in any sort of context as I am entirely unfamiliar with horse breeding.

I can post things like what I did, i.e. population genetics studies of horse breeds, but I am not sure how to get my hands on or interpret horse breed data.

My point is, in an evolutionary context "weakening bloodlines" or whatever you were talking about (specific to horses) is a well-known phenomena of inbred stocks, as well as stocks that have small effective population sizes (both of which apply to thoroughbred horses).

That is, as you limit the amount of incoming new genetic material, and consistently select for certain traits over others (speed etc), as well as select for uniformity, you get strange phenotypic effects. The general evolutionary answer is "inbreeding depression", that is, a reduced level of phenotypic something due to lots of different effects, most usually due to dangerous or deleterious homozygote increases (i.e. having the same recessive allele from both parents), coupled with less "heterozygote advantage" where the dangerous allelle is "silenced" by being grouped with a positive dominant allele.

As I haven't really studied horses (as mentioned, I hate them), this is my educated guess as to what is happening in modern thoroughbreds, and some research seems to back that up, but other research disagrees.

The important thing, and what I want you to learn from this is that whatever the fuck is happening in horses currently is most likely not Darwinian evolution in the classical sense (i.e. through natural selection) for two reasons.

One- we are doing the selecting, i.e. by definition not natural (although this is a philosophical answer) and
    Two- Natural selection kind of works at cross-purposes with regards to inbreeding depression. Ideally natural selection would remove deleterious alleles from the gene pool each generation, but in forced inbred lines, this doesn't happen, and even if it did, natural selection can't remove 100% of deleterious alleles ever.

A lot of this is talking out of my ass because I know shit about horse breeding, but maybe you can fill in where I don't know. This is mostly based on my limited knowledge of population genetics, but interestingly the wiki page for inbreeding depression has pictures of horses, so I feel more validated.

This kind of got away from your original point, but that's alright because your point was mostly joking, but this is what happens when you distract an evolutionary biologist with the "D" word.

I understood some of these words.

So quick question, can we breed out all the deleterious alleles, then start breeding for the desired traits (i.e. speed)?
    Cinders wrote: »

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

i need an adult
    Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    i got in the Steam Trading Card beta.

Time to steal their ideas for my own.
    Huh, my credit limit went up on my card.

Surely this is a sign from the universe that I should charge a new living room furniture set to it immediately.

No payments until 2015? What a savings!
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    GOD DAMMIT PUBLIX
    FML

http://imgur.com/8rlykIZ.jpg

what

it's bread

Half the bread is gone because of an air pocket while baking. I cannot put PB&J on aiiirrrrrrr
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I always feel better about myself when wikipedia pages have pictures of horses.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Behold, my pretty semi-formal dress. Not bad for ordering it on Saturday in a panic because I forgot all about this event.

I'm going to be frank for a moment here, bear with me:

Your beautiful.

Knock em dead Raven.

Her beautiful what?
    Lh96QHG.png
    Cinders wrote: »

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

He will not answer that out of respect for our relationship!

he is totally going to answer that
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

Hmm, yeah maybe. I have dangly earrings on which you can't really see in that picture, but you're supposed to do one or the other. Too much jewelry is TRASHY.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS

Bicycle exercises while on your back? Not the best in the world but in a pinch it should help.

So I guess I'm stuck with pilates and yoga (not that I'm stuck with that really because I love pilates and yoga)

No, I mean like lying on your back and moving your legs like your riding a bicycle.

For reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGilxCbdz8
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

YOU. WHO ELSE!?

Thanks for ruining the joke.

Dick.

WHO ARE YOU FUCKING

YOU. WHO ELSE!?

Thanks for ruining the joke.

Dick.

I'm not a dick! Dick.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Oh god the wikipedia page for inbreeding depression cites a charlesworth paper uggghhhh get out of my head charlesworthessss

(i read their book this semester and it melted my brain)

dadfromfairlyoddparents.jpg
    vspgsp.jpg

Hmm, yeah maybe. I have dangly earrings on which you can't really see in that picture, but you're supposed to do one or the other. Too much jewelry is TRASHY.

Something silver or silver-plated.
    FrenchCat2.jpg

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS

No, I mean like lying on your back and moving your legs like your riding a bicycle.

For reference:

Oh, yeah I can totally do that once the muscle I pulled in my lower back heals (I am just FUCKING my body up)
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Gender equality damnit!

*gasp*

sometimes it is nice to treat your partner to a dinner, but sometimes you're low on funds so you dutch it up

the system works!

i like being gregarious though, so i usually pay for people when i am able

There's no "system" IMO. Everyone does what works in there circumstance and that's ok!

:)

#FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Anyway what is up [chat]

I am running two experiments now yay

I am baking a chicken breast.

Which is almost as impressive as two experiments...

I feel like I should shake your hand and pay you for your service to science.

So Paypal, do you take VISA?
    edited May 2013
    *GASP*
    72456C30-1C39-4500-872B-6A4B54EB844B-1561-0000037C35D6AABA.jpg
    Double post
    Caveman Paws on
    @Mortious

yeah sort of.

The thing to understand is everything I was saying comes from population genetics models which assume a weird 1:1 ratio between genes and fitness/phenotype, as well as reducing everything for sake of simplicity to single alleles in a dominant/recessive scenario.

(I can't count how many times population genetics stuff starts with "assume a haploid non sexually reproducing population"....which is the opposite of basically every system)

But anyway to do so would require a LOT of in depth genotyping of every individual and a lot more knowledge of how each allele in question contributes to fitness, quantiatively, which is just info we don't have.

Its usually easier just to exploit hybrid vigor, which is what I think most breeders do.

(Basically bring in strong alleles to cover up the weak ones)
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

TO THE PILATES VIDEOS

For reference:

Oh, yeah I can totally do that once the muscle I pulled in my lower back heals (I am just FUCKING my body up)

This is why we all need sexy cyborg bodies.