Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

confused old [chat]

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Big Bang Theory or American Idol was my choice. Both are so terrible. Now it's Elementary which looks just as terrible

It has Lucy Liu. It can't be all bad.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Big Bang Theory or American Idol was my choice. Both are so terrible. Now it's Elementary which looks just as terrible

Last one's not bad.

It's like, what if Dr. House decided to solve crimes instead!
    Mortious on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Just turn off the fail box.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I wish I could get Notch and Demurist to hang out here, and then I'd have all my friends in one place
    vspgsp.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1994/01/03
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Tonight is the series finale to The Office, which while it may not have aged as well in the last couple years as it could have done, has consistently been a favorite show of mine.

I look forward to watching it tomorrow morning on hulu.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Mim's personality is more like that cat

Cuddly?

Cute?

DEADLY?!

Unresponsive and derisive.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    OH MY GOD IS SARKSUS DOING MIM FOR REAL?

Wait until I tell simonwolf and captain carrot about this!

Okay, I understand the Captain Carrot reference, but why simonwolf?

Because I am totally in digital love with you, Mim, clearly

so much has changed since i've been gone :o
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    There are two types of personalities on the internet - you're either a Calvin or a Hobbes.

Since I am a genius, I am clearly a Calvin.
    emnmnme on
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There are two types of personalities on the internet - you're either a Calvin or a Hobbes.

Since I am a genius, I am clearly a Calvin.

I feel like I'm a delusion of a fevered mind.

So Hobbs.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Holy shit Scheck is a judge on American Idol! He's done well for himself since bein banned.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Elementary is fantastic.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Insight: the thresholds add three parameters per additional lag, instead of two, and so AIC should favour fewer lags.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Mim's personality is more like that cat

Cuddly?

Cute?

DEADLY?!

Unresponsive and derisive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqxPxaa5Wn8
    工事中
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    I feel I got my point across. If it's left ambiguous that was by design because I'm abstract yo.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i knew

i knew it was thursday

but there was a good like 15 minute period after dinner where i somehow believed

i believed it, down to my bones, that it was friday

i was so disappointed when i came back to reality
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hey I was right!
    The inbreeding depression is a reduction of mean phenotypic values in animals that are inbred. We report here the existence of significant inbreeding depression for body measurements in SPB horses, which affects both performance and the EBVs ranking order.

Maybe...
    Thus, no overall large effects of inbreeding, microsatellite heterozygosity, and mean d2 on morphological traits were observed in the Lipizzan horse.

Madcaddy

Um, I'd go with the work from brisnet and The Bloodstock Group as their sample sizes are a bit larger, and their data is pretty amazing.

@Madcaddy

I can't seem to find what you are talking about. I found the websites for each, but don't really know how to interpret them in any sort of context as I am entirely unfamiliar with horse breeding.

I can post things like what I did, i.e. population genetics studies of horse breeds, but I am not sure how to get my hands on or interpret horse breed data.

My point is, in an evolutionary context "weakening bloodlines" or whatever you were talking about (specific to horses) is a well-known phenomena of inbred stocks, as well as stocks that have small effective population sizes (both of which apply to thoroughbred horses).

That is, as you limit the amount of incoming new genetic material, and consistently select for certain traits over others (speed etc), as well as select for uniformity, you get strange phenotypic effects. The general evolutionary answer is "inbreeding depression", that is, a reduced level of phenotypic something due to lots of different effects, most usually due to dangerous or deleterious homozygote increases (i.e. having the same recessive allele from both parents), coupled with less "heterozygote advantage" where the dangerous allelle is "silenced" by being grouped with a positive dominant allele.

As I haven't really studied horses (as mentioned, I hate them), this is my educated guess as to what is happening in modern thoroughbreds, and some research seems to back that up, but other research disagrees.

The important thing, and what I want you to learn from this is that whatever the fuck is happening in horses currently is most likely not Darwinian evolution in the classical sense (i.e. through natural selection) for two reasons.

One- we are doing the selecting, i.e. by definition not natural (although this is a philosophical answer) and
    Two- Natural selection kind of works at cross-purposes with regards to inbreeding depression. Ideally natural selection would remove deleterious alleles from the gene pool each generation, but in forced inbred lines, this doesn't happen, and even if it did, natural selection can't remove 100% of deleterious alleles ever.

A lot of this is talking out of my ass because I know shit about horse breeding, but maybe you can fill in where I don't know. This is mostly based on my limited knowledge of population genetics, but interestingly the wiki page for inbreeding depression has pictures of horses, so I feel more validated.

This kind of got away from your original point, but that's alright because your point was mostly joking, but this is what happens when you distract an evolutionary biologist with the "D" word.

Yea, I just had to erase an angry bit when I got to the bottom of this, this is definitely by text based mediums lead to nerd rage.. Telling me stuff I already know, taking credit for data I offered, argh!!!! ;)

i agree with most of what you said, and can offer a bit of guidance on the information/sources if you're ever inclined, but hating horses Id say just stay away. You see the value in the genetic information available with the Stud book(s), and thoroughbreds generally in genetics study, yea?
    It was kind of mind boggling to me as an amateur smarty pants to see workout times, and trip reports from horses like War Admiral and Apollo, and figuring out why they were geared to win those races, but that's the game/history geek in me. Maybe having run times and normative reports on the fitness of a breed wouldn't be valuable and help establish firmer quantities on the regression/morbidity of the species over the period.

Uh, anyway, that's about horses and why I find them interesting, and natural selection did indeed play no role in their current predicament. All I see is an argument against unnatural selection, and a valuable pool of information.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Ah... NewEgg.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/newegg-nukes-corporate-troll-alcatel-in-third-patent-appeal-win-this-year/
    "There's good news and there's bad news," said Cheng in an interview with Ars. "The good news is, we won this case on every point. The bad news is, we're running out of lawsuits. There are fewer trolls for us to fight. I've spent a lot of time over the last seven years figuring out what to do with these guys. There are strategies I think would be really neat and effective that I literally can't execute. I can't make good law because I don't have any appellate cases left. They [the trolls] are dismissing cases against us before any dispositive motions."

I suspect this guy is having WAY too much fun for a lawyer.
    工事中
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    @Corehealer

I wasn't ignoring you on Steam. I forgot I had it until I got an email about something the other day!

What is this in reference to @AManFromEarth ?
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Heh, one of the CS dudes at my work is funny because he's really friendly but really awkward. He'll do the thing where you pretend to yawn when there's an awkward silence, and tries to tell jokes and make conversation really awkwardly. I believe he's a redditor, as well. I'm worried I intimidate him because I have an unconscious tendency to quietly stonewall people, but he seems like a really nice guy. I suppose it's funny because he doesn't look the type: he's a fairly good looking dude and he dresses really well. I feel like I should try to talk to him more.

Actually, I should really talk to everyone in my lab a lot more.

Also I really, really need to talk to my roommates more.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Mortious wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hey I was right!
    The inbreeding depression is a reduction of mean phenotypic values in animals that are inbred. We report here the existence of significant inbreeding depression for body measurements in SPB horses, which affects both performance and the EBVs ranking order.

Maybe...
    Thus, no overall large effects of inbreeding, microsatellite heterozygosity, and mean d2 on morphological traits were observed in the Lipizzan horse.

Madcaddy

Um, I'd go with the work from brisnet and The Bloodstock Group as their sample sizes are a bit larger, and their data is pretty amazing.

Madcaddy

I can't seem to find what you are talking about. I found the websites for each, but don't really know how to interpret them in any sort of context as I am entirely unfamiliar with horse breeding.

I can post things like what I did, i.e. population genetics studies of horse breeds, but I am not sure how to get my hands on or interpret horse breed data.

My point is, in an evolutionary context "weakening bloodlines" or whatever you were talking about (specific to horses) is a well-known phenomena of inbred stocks, as well as stocks that have small effective population sizes (both of which apply to thoroughbred horses).

That is, as you limit the amount of incoming new genetic material, and consistently select for certain traits over others (speed etc), as well as select for uniformity, you get strange phenotypic effects. The general evolutionary answer is "inbreeding depression", that is, a reduced level of phenotypic something due to lots of different effects, most usually due to dangerous or deleterious homozygote increases (i.e. having the same recessive allele from both parents), coupled with less "heterozygote advantage" where the dangerous allelle is "silenced" by being grouped with a positive dominant allele.

As I haven't really studied horses (as mentioned, I hate them), this is my educated guess as to what is happening in modern thoroughbreds, and some research seems to back that up, but other research disagrees.

The important thing, and what I want you to learn from this is that whatever the fuck is happening in horses currently is most likely not Darwinian evolution in the classical sense (i.e. through natural selection) for two reasons.

One- we are doing the selecting, i.e. by definition not natural (although this is a philosophical answer) and
    Two- Natural selection kind of works at cross-purposes with regards to inbreeding depression. Ideally natural selection would remove deleterious alleles from the gene pool each generation, but in forced inbred lines, this doesn't happen, and even if it did, natural selection can't remove 100% of deleterious alleles ever.

A lot of this is talking out of my ass because I know shit about horse breeding, but maybe you can fill in where I don't know. This is mostly based on my limited knowledge of population genetics, but interestingly the wiki page for inbreeding depression has pictures of horses, so I feel more validated.

This kind of got away from your original point, but that's alright because your point was mostly joking, but this is what happens when you distract an evolutionary biologist with the "D" word.

I understood some of these words.

So quick question, can we breed out all the deleterious alleles, then start breeding for the desired traits (i.e. speed)?

Selective breeding works to an extent, and they're just starting to get good science on it, but it's proprietary information, and costs $texas for the service. There's big money in the breeding industry, and horse breeding has been a source for genetic study for a long time (much like how their para mutuels are used for market studies/tax studies)
    @Mortious

yeah sort of.

The thing to understand is everything I was saying comes from population genetics models which assume a weird 1:1 ratio between genes and fitness/phenotype, as well as reducing everything for sake of simplicity to single alleles in a dominant/recessive scenario.

(I can't count how many times population genetics stuff starts with "assume a haploid non sexually reproducing population"....which is the opposite of basically every system)

But anyway to do so would require a LOT of in depth genotyping of every individual and a lot more knowledge of how each allele in question contributes to fitness, quantiatively, which is just info we don't have.

Its usually easier just to exploit hybrid vigor, which is what I think most breeders do.

(Basically bring in strong alleles to cover up the weak ones)

Tomlinson Ratings were the traditional handicappers pedigree tool, but that's more quantitative.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    I still don't know what "tomlinson ratings" or "handicappers" are or mean, in the context of translating horse breeding to evolutionary biology

hit me with a lay definition of those, dude
    Like I know nothing about horse breeding. I know a small handful about theoretical evolutionary selection models, which is where I drew most of my post from, but I know zilch about horse breeding terminology or whatever
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    @Corehealer

I wasn't ignoring you on Steam. I forgot I had it until I got an email about something the other day!

When I logged on to Steam I had a friend request from you? Or someone pretending to be you. Idk how long it was on there, as I haven't logged onto steam before now for a few months.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man, I can't believe I was pronouncing ichor wrong all these yes.

I have been shattered to my very core.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »

How....how were you pronouncing it?

More importantly, how are you supposed to?
    All I know about horses is that they are adorable but also total brats, and to keep them you have to be willing to clean their shlongs.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular

eechore
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

How....how were you pronouncing it?

More importantly, how are you supposed to?

Supposed to be eye-core.

I was pronouncing it more like i (as in ick) core
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

Eye-core, right?
    vspgsp.jpg
    Corehealer wrote: »
    @Corehealer

When I logged on to Steam I had a friend request from you? Or someone pretending to be you. Idk how long it was on there, as I haven't logged onto steam before now for a few months.

Oh, no that was me; I sent that a while ago during one of my periodic sending out of Steam friend invites to various PA people. I'm almost up to 200!

I'm game to game whenever your game.
    Post doc I worked with used to pronounce queue as "qway"
    vspgsp.jpg

Let me just heal that for you. *snaps fingers*
    Winky wrote: »

Eye-core, right?

fml
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    s l e e p
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Making mojitos with concentrated LEMON juice...

What kind of scrub tier shit is this?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    And I don't know why but I just remembered my Chinese professor who was literally the most adorable woman ever, and how she would say things like "this word can means be..."
    vspgsp.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Make it over!
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM