Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    What is the maid thing all about? LIke is SoTAR now a recruiter for a domestic service company or is there more to it?

If not, what is the dental plan like for butler cadets?

It's a roleplaying game where you roll a bunch of dice and generate a maid or butler to use as your character

I got SOTAR to roll up one the other day

it's pretty great
    turtlesig.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I wasn't accusing you of secretely being all ultranationalist. I was saying that you always answer with something that gives thought to both sides.

lolwut

you did this very badly

whatever you said came off more like "yeah but u never talk about this even when other people want to, how legitimate can your position be"

okay. That wasn't what I was saying.

I was commentating on the fact that chu tends to answer "being all gung ho rah rah settlements is bad, but so is being all israel is the devil" which isn't a very specific kind of statement
    xlh6c3.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    I also use my beliefs as a religion in my fiction, but I explicitly make it the kind of thing that is not evangelical. So much so that the planet that the religion's female prophet and the bulk of her followers inhabit is outside of the Andromeda Galaxy in the void between galaxies and is neigh on impossible to find unless you have someone or something (like a specific religious text) to guide you there.

Which I have also found is a hard sell for a religion because it goes against what a religion intrinsically is, belief wise; you want to show others the truth, the way to live. How do you do that if you don't spread the word? It's an interesting theme to explore in art.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    What is the maid thing all about? LIke is SoTAR now a recruiter for a domestic service company or is there more to it?

It's a roleplaying game where you roll a bunch of dice and generate a maid or butler to use as your character

it's pretty great

Well that makes more sense that SoTAR getting an after school recruiter job. Thanks
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Organichu wrote: »
    chu, spool

you both need to state your irony levels, now

huh?

how serious are you both about support for israel

i think talking about my position on the israeli-palestinian conflict is meaningless in these terms

it is not really reducible in that way to me how it seems to be to the international community

supporting israel isn't just supporting their side in that conflict

that is sort of my point? anyone who isn't

1) a 63 year old evangelical
    2) a smarmy hillel kid
    3) a religious extremist

will say there is some deplorable shit going on in the Territories

but that is not any sort of comprehensive consensus from which one can leap to 'you can't possibly support israel can you'

granular terms are necessary

yeah but you're usually just this vague and deflecting when it comes to your feelings on the matter :P

why are you being rude?

i have directly criticized israel. i have made threads about israel, criticizing things about it.

i don't know why you think it's ok to say this about something that is obviously emotionally important to me.

I don't know what you think I said, here.

is this a language barrier?

i said 'i don't think it's that simple, you can't just reduce everything to easy terms. israel has done some bad things, but if you want to talk about whether one 'supports' israel you need to be more specific'

to which you responded 'yeah but you're usually just vague and deflecting'

does this not imply, to you, some level of disingenuousness on my part? lack of integrity when it comes to this issue? intellectual avoidance, cowardice?

i dunno. if you meant something else i can't figure out what it might have been

it means that I don't really know anything about your position here, other than the fact that you're not very heavily to one side

since that's... all you said.

the implications can come into play after the obvious meaning.

ok then yes this means we use language very differently, because i'd only say that if i was telling someone basically "you never commit on this issue- you're dishonest or lack conviction". deflecting is a pretty negative word in my vocabulary.

but it's whatever, if you say it is a misunderstanding that is fine with me and i ain't even mad

*slams shot of mountain dew*

yes, the "dishonest or lack conviction" thing is not to be read into it.
    xlh6c3.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular

it's pretty great

Well that makes more sense that SoTAR getting an after school recruiter job. Thanks

If you give me a roll of 50d6 I can make you into a butler, Kalks

join us
    turtlesig.jpg
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @simonwolf your avatar/sig combos are always delightfully creepy

but this one is just plain creepy
    AresProphet on
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    alright this is my thing about lolr/atheism

this isn't directed at anyone in particular because anyone in this thread that is 'religious' almost certainly doesn't infringe their religious beliefs on other people. I don't really comment on it much, I don't like smug atheists either. but I feel like most complaints are about atheists being rude and saying (often terribly) mean things. but whereas the fundamentally religious erode legal rights, limit the access of healthcare by young people and women, and generally make life as theocratic as humanly possible - like many legislations are doing on a state and local level in the united states, like abortion being almost or defacto outlawed in certain parts of the country.

so, that's why i think smug atheists are so confrontational, even when your beliefs are just some internal thing you think about. i mean r/atheism is a reddit thing, where as the most vocal representations of religion are trying to make it so teenagers need to get parental consent to get birth control

but it still sucks if someone is a dick to you for something you just think about in your head. but I can see why they're a dick in the first place. i don't know. thats why i don't bring it up usually.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    People should be able to kill themselves, on their own or with aid given the right circumstance. They should also be dissuaded from suicide if their life still has any hope and salvage left in it, which is not usually the case with assisted suicide where a person faces a slow death at the hands of some disease or other or is very old and debilitated already.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Pony wrote: »
    I feel that, as a society, we don't have a right to demand that people not destroy themselves.

Whether that's suicide, addiction, or any other behavior that the rest of us see as self-harming.

We don't have a right to demand they not do that. It's foolish to make a law about it or something.

But I think we have, instead, a potential to dissuade people from being their own worst enemy. Whether it's trying to intervene as a group when one of your friends is losing themselves to substance abuse, being there to support someone as they struggle to break away from an abusive relationship, making the hard decision to cast a harsh mirror on someone's self-destruction and being the one to confront them about it.

Well it work always? Of course not. And just because you think you should do it, does that de facto make it the right call? Nope, not really. But if you see someone ripping themselves apart by their own choices, viewpoints, beliefs, or mindsets, and you give a shit about them, then at the very least you should try to help them in the best way you can come to know. It might mean a good bit of research and effort on your part to do it the right way, and even if you mean the best in the world you might still be in the wrong. But in lieu of evidence to suggest you are wrong for doing so, you should go with your own empathy and compassion to help a person until it's clear they simply rebuke your help and wrong or right, will not accept it.

I take this attitude to people doing most things I don't think are right that they are doing, especially when the person they're really doing it to is themselves. I'm there if I care till I feel it's wrong to be. Till I feel it's not helping.

However, when it comes to matters of personal philosophy or faith or deeper worldview, rare is it that a person has a fully formed system that they self-identify by that I find so onerous that I can only reasonably determine is hurting themselves or others. Instead, that sort of thing tends to be the province of the mentally ill, the abused, the misanthropic, the hurt and hatefilled and embittered. And when I look at folks like that, all I can see is people who need help. Doesn't mean I'm the person to help them. Maybe nobody is. But if you don't go through life even considering whether or not you should try, then man

i just don't know

What the law against suicide does is allow me to legally physically drag you away from the edge of the roof. Which isn't foolish, merely practical.
    xlh6c3.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    If the red turtle is fucking the beige turtle what is fucking the beige lady?
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    holy fuck someone took their own life live on twitch tonight jesus christ

What the FUCK?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556930
    Hope shes OK.

There's no real information about how or even if she did take her life just rumors from 4chan no official news report or anything. I mean I am guessing she did but have no confirmation from any valid source b

That it even could have happened (ie. this person's apparent life situation) is pretty disheartening.
    network_sig2.png

I liked the last two more; this new girl is kind of spaghetti like and is only redeemed by the fucking turtles.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

this isn't directed at anyone in particular because anyone in this thread that is 'religious' almost certainly doesn't infringe their religious beliefs on other people. I don't really comment on it much, I don't like smug atheists either. but I feel like most complaints are about atheists being rude and saying (often terribly) mean things. but whereas the fundamentally religious erode legal rights, limit the access of healthcare by young people and women, and generally make life as theocratic as humanly possible - like many legislations are doing on a state and local level in the united states, like abortion being almost or defacto outlawed in certain parts of the country.

so, that's why i think smug atheists are so confrontational, even when your beliefs are just some internal thing you think about. i mean r/atheism is a reddit thing, where as the most vocal representations of religion are trying to make it so teenagers need to get parental consent to get birth control

but it still sucks if someone is a dick to you for something you just think about in your head. but I can see why they're a dick in the first place. i don't know. thats why i don't bring it up usually.

yeah. i mean, it is super easy to poke fun at the self-righteous teenagers but if the worst thing they're doing is being dicks on the internet i think the world will go on. people are out there fighting for gay rights and separation of church and state and scientifically supported, well reasoned education. if bratty 19 year olds who are the weird, snarky offshoot of serious activist movements are the price of that... i'm not exactly glad but i am relieved. they aren't making christian kids hang themselves until dead.
    Organichu on
    If the red turtle is fucking the beige turtle what is fucking the beige lady?

A camera.
    Yeah apparently this twitch user took a load of pills then laid down and the feed got cut. Authorities were notified and there is no official confirmation of anything at this point I can still hold out hope this was a hoax or she was found before passing.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

I liked the last two more; this new girl is kind of spaghetti like and is only redeemed by the fucking turtles.

Turtle fucking is creepy in and of itself

also kind of hilarious
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    Pony, your post has formatting! How long has this been going on? I feel it deserves more praise and attention.

Or I am just very behind the times
    A camera has tripods not quadpods. Nope
    _J_ wrote:
    It could just be that she's getting up from a chair

But the turtles make your brain immediately jump to other conclusions
    She could be fucking herself with a dildo suction cupped to the chair. While turtles fuck.
    _J_ wrote:
    A camera has tripods not quadpods. Nope

In this world maybe, but there are more Wonders in Wonderland then can be written of in your childhood fantasy books, Alice.
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular

it's pretty great

join us

This can apparently all be done in-forum now. I just can't get it to work :(
    工事中
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I also use my beliefs as a religion in my fiction, but I explicitly make it the kind of thing that is not evangelical. So much so that the planet that the religion's female prophet and the bulk of her followers inhabit is outside of the Andromeda Galaxy in the void between galaxies and is neigh on impossible to find unless you have someone or something (like a specific religious text) to guide you there.

Which I have also found is a hard sell for a religion because it goes against what a religion intrinsically is, belief wise; you want to show others the truth, the way to live. How do you do that if you don't spread the word? It's an interesting theme to explore in art.

The way I see it, a person doesn't need to believe what I believe to conduct themselves in accordance with the principles I believe important.

The reason they conducted themselves in such a way is of lesser (if any) importance to me when compared to the consequences of their conduct.

By skillful means, by a practice in care and concern, a person can come to the same values I come to from a different fundamental ideology and I care not one bit about that

The consequences matter. The results matter. The means are the means. The means only matter insofar as what becomes of them. This isn't saying throw caution to the wind, that the ends justify the means, but that the drive behind the means matter less than the means themselves, and the means themselves matter less than the result so long as the means and the result are things I think are right.

So I don't need to "spread the word" of my faith. It's unimportant to anyone but me. However, the values I hold, the results of those beliefs, I think are secular results that people of many religions could arrive at, and do not in and of themselves require a religion at all to arrive at either.

So, those I spread. Those I extol, even if I don't pull back the curtain and explain to anyone why I believe these things or how I come to believe in them. I think they have enough value on their own to stand under their own light, so I put them out there and people make of them what they do, and that is all they need to know to accept them or not accept them.

If I have to quote my faith at you, if I have to explain the underpinnings of my religious beliefs and how they led me to this conclusion, in order to persuade you to view the underlying ethic or notion positive? Then I am failing to represent those virtues as the virtues I truly believe they are. I am failing you, and I'm failing myself.

I don't necessarily apply this same standard to others, but I certainly don't find their arguments as palatable if they crutch about on their faith as an argument in and of itself.

To me, that smacks of "This is good because I like it" instead of trying to argue an independent merit, and anything a person believes strongly is good both for themselves and others should be able to stand on its own merits.
    Kagera you are overthinking this

or maybe I'm underthinking it
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

This is a fair take on "militant" atheism. I would just add that, at least in the U.S., that religious iconography is so ultra-prevalent and normal that when we hear or see the opposite in frankly nowhere near the same proportion, that it's just really jarring because it's so rare. It's a similar situation in the Middle East for instance. When I was in Amman, it was made very clear that Islam is definitive of the entire culture. Even Jordanian Christians greet each other with "Salaam" or "Assalaam-u-'alaikum"; while neither of those phrases ("peace" and "peace be upon you") is intrinsically Islamic, it has an iconically Islamic connotation basically everywhere.
    network_sig2.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Well that was a fun little period of being curled up in a ball trying not to think about hurting myself.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

it's pretty great

join us

Geth, roll 1d6
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

on the other hand, from my own experience I deal with religious fundamentalism and religious sorts being shitbags towards me on stated account of their religion pretty rarely!

but r/atheists?

dime a fuckin' dozen on the internet I go to, bro

that's my problem there.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I found my bible

Which chapters got Jesus in them?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    spool32 wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »

it's pretty great

join us

Geth, roll 1d6

Ok, so Geth hates me.

Geth, roll 1d10 for Hate

Edit: Goddammit
    Cokebotle on
    工事中
    Winky wrote: »
    I found my bible

The slightly less horrible ones.
    A large amount of people who are stopped from comitting suicide by something won't try again. It's often very much a thing of the moment.

Which is something we should strive to avoid people doing. Not just through dissuasion but from tackling them so they don't swallow the pills kind of deal. We

The way I see it, a person doesn't need to believe what I believe to conduct themselves in accordance with the principles I believe important.

The reason they conducted themselves in such a way is of lesser (if any) importance to me when compared to the consequences of their conduct.

By skillful means, by a practice in care and concern, a person can come to the same values I come to from a different fundamental ideology and I care not one bit about that

The consequences matter. The results matter. The means are the means. The means only matter insofar as what becomes of them. This isn't saying throw caution to the wind, that the ends justify the means, but that the drive behind the means matter less than the means themselves, and the means themselves matter less than the result so long as the means and the result are things I think are right.

So I don't need to "spread the word" of my faith. It's unimportant to anyone but me. However, the values I hold, the results of those beliefs, I think are secular results that people of many religions could arrive at, and do not in and of themselves require a religion at all to arrive at either.

So, those I spread. Those I extol, even if I don't pull back the curtain and explain to anyone why I believe these things or how I come to believe in them. I think they have enough value on their own to stand under their own light, so I put them out there and people make of them what they do, and that is all they need to know to accept them or not accept them.

If I have to quote my faith at you, if I have to explain the underpinnings of my religious beliefs and how they led me to this conclusion, in order to persuade you to view the underlying ethic or notion positive? Then I am failing to represent those virtues as the virtues I truly believe they are. I am failing you, and I'm failing myself.

I don't necessarily apply this same standard to others, but I certainly don't find their arguments as palatable if they crutch about on their faith as an argument in and of itself.

To me, that smacks of "This is good because I like it" instead of trying to argue an independent merit, and anything a person believes strongly is good both for themselves and others should be able to stand on its own merits.

what kind of independent merit does those virtues have

independent from well, reality as it is. Which is there the faith comes in

I don't see how one can just go, these are good things, now I'll adjust my view of the world to fit that?
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Well that was a fun little period of being curled up in a ball trying not to think about hurting myself.

Ah gym day.

Winky wrote: »
    I found my bible

The slightly less horrible ones.

I actually prefer the Old Testament myself; more entertaining.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular

on the other hand, from my own experience I deal with religious fundamentalism and religious sorts being shitbags towards me on stated account of their religion pretty rarely!

but r/atheists?

dime a fuckin' dozen on the internet I go to, bro

that's my problem there.

i'd rather have people say mean things to me than be legally inferior

but now I get both!

Do not hurt yourself. I would be sad to see you go.

You are a good man evilbob. Or to use an earlier affirmation, a good church.
    Mortious wrote: »

Ah gym day.

Nah forgot to take medication yesterday day.
    A large amount of people who are stopped from comitting suicide by something won't try again. It's often very much a thing of the moment.

Which is something we should strive to avoid people doing. Not just through dissuasion but from tackling them so they don't swallow the pills kind of deal. We

what kind of independent merit does those virtues have

independent from well, reality as it is. Which is there the faith comes in

I don't see how one can just go, these are good things, now I'll adjust my view of the world to fit that?

You shouldn't do meth, for example.

Meth's bad, m'kay.

I can create what I feel is a pretty persuasive anti-meth argument (it consists largely of Lindsey Lohan pictures) without getting into say

my religious beliefs regarding drug abuse

that is unimportant

My argument to you isn't reliant on it

the argument has it's own independent merit

that I have my own reasoning atop that is neither necessary nor important for you to understand

if I feel you benefit as I benefit from sharing in being anti-meth, I should either be able to make that argument without relying on my faith

or I shouldn't be making the argument to you at all

Do not hurt yourself. I would be sad to see you go.

You are a good man evilbob. Or to use an earlier affirmation, a good church.

Nah I'd be more likely to go get shitfaced to stop thinking about it and gamble all my money away while drunk or something.
This discussion has been closed.