Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Just burn tumblr down.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    local news:

There are long lines at Bergen Airport Flesland.

"There's just a lot of travellers right now" a spokesman said.

Fascinating stuff.

Meanwhile:

[img ]http://img.gawkeras sets.com/img/18n7x92v37qg0jpg/original.jpg[/img]

Cat font.

My friends once installed a penis font on my laptop. It was surprisingly legible.

I didn't know there was such a thing, but I'm honestly not suprised.

Hm... wish I had thought of that prank back in college >.>

Now I'm not saying this is a brilliant, evil prank buuuuut
    That cat still be sleeping Echo.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    That cat still be sleeping Echo.

I have a video of the chainsaw-purring too.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i am running through the codeacademy lessons for python to remember the syntax for certain string stuff, whitespace conventions etc

some of these exercises seem really odd

like i get the idea of babysteps but maybe some bigger ones would stimulate learning more, codeacademy
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am running through the codeacademy lessons for python to remember the syntax for certain string stuff, whitespace conventions etc

like i get the idea of babysteps but maybe some bigger ones would stimulate learning more, codeacademy

people like having their hand held
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    local news:

There are long lines at Bergen Airport Flesland.

"There's just a lot of travellers right now" a spokesman said.

Fascinating stuff.

Meanwhile:

[img ]http://img.gawkeras sets.com/img/18n7x92v37qg0jpg/original.jpg[/img]

Cat font.

My friends once installed a penis font on my laptop. It was surprisingly legible.

I didn't know there was such a thing, but I'm honestly not suprised.

Hm... wish I had thought of that prank back in college >.>

Now I'm not saying this is a brilliant, evil prank buuuuut

I would love to put this on my dad's computer.

But... he'd think someone upgraded/updated something, throw a tantrum about it, and then probably throw it off in a corner somewhere because he "can't use it anymore".

Might have to install this on the gf's computer. I wonder if it supports Win8?... >.>
    工事中
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Also, the fact that you're more level headed now is gonna make me lobby for you to be called Gelding from now on even more so. They do it to horses that act up on the track or are violent (biters, possessive towards fillys/mares). Too perfect.

also i've been surgically sterilized

so

Yea, I remembered that from our last conversation and my first try at using Gelding, and why it's too perfect.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

My big complaint about Codecademy is that ALL of their lessons are built from a "never programmed before" mindset. Which is understandable, but horribly boring if you have any programming experience.

But I did like their Python course overall, at least for an intro. I also started messing with some Python koans I found on Github that's based on the Ruby(?) koans for teaching the language.
    工事中
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Anyway bed for real. I'll have to try the fairness conversation another time. I just meant more tort/Game Theory style. When a natural privilege or advantage should be handicapped for the sake of "fairness", especially so in competition.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Given my lack of belief in a kind of "free will", the notion of pride is kind of weird to me at a certain level.

to be frank, Loren, I don't know how you function day to day without having some kind of internally agreed upon stopping point to your higher ideals and acknowledging the functional realities of what is observable.

"Eh... fuck it."
    but then I'm equally mystified by other kinds of deterministic philosophies.

The alternatives don't make any sense to me.

I don't know that I can fix that!

you're a pretty well-read dude and i respect you, intellectually

so I generally take on faith that you've familiarized yourself at the very least with the major philosophical thrusts of non-deterministic worldviews

at the very least from a Western philosophical framework

given thus

i'unno that i can make a compelling argument on the subject for you

Prolly not.

I've refined my determinism/randomness shtick to something that could fit very neatly onto one side of an index card.

Like, it seems simple enough to me.

And I don't have a lot of different places for people to shake my confidence.

Like, it's all right-there.

It's not some sprawling argument that relies on layered assumptions.

The assumptions are simple, and easy enough to recite.

I've made the example observations punchy enough to keep it interesting to laypeople who don't generally enjoy philosophy.

It's easy to keep in my head, easy to bring up, easy to use, and easy to defend, and enjoyable at least for me to talk about it, in large part because of those aforementioned factors.

So

Prolly not, but I wish you'd try.

for me it's ultimately a functionalism issue

an issue of

if something is immeasurable, if something is imperceptible, and in some heisenbergian way at a point becomes impossible to observe without interacting with it and defining it

does it matter anymore?

is it important?

what is it's functional value, at that point?

for me, it's a question of what is the virtue of a deterministic view? what does it bring to me, in what fashion does it enrich my life or positively impact my existence? does it have a value in a way that i, possessed only of my limited ability to sense and understand, can determine?

....not really?

that's the best answer i can manage

for me, i have no place in my life for beliefs and views i consider useless or without benefit. i see no benefit in determinism. even if it is an ultimate, objective truth. even if it is the most objectively true thing possible, because it is ultimately unknowable and has imperceptible function on my perceived existence i do not care about it

so i don't see the sense in believing in things that don't do anything for me to believe in them. i've never seen a belief in determinism as freeing, useful, or capacious in accommodating the existence i opt for myself.

For me, the "belief in determinism" (I'd prefer to call it a preoccupation with determinism, but stochastic works as well. I tend to assume that stochastic is just deterministic at a level that we can't comprehend) is freeing and useful as a means to seeing the world and essentially forgiving everyone for the sleights that they commit, real and imagined.

I used to be a kind of passively angry/condescending person, and I'm sure I still occasionally am, to an I-believe lesser degree, but I think determinism takes away a lot of the emotional assumptions of responsibility that we assign to people.

Like, people don't "feel" determinism, people feel that people wrong other people and that people are heroes or villains and that's that. I tend to at least try to think of people as being the results of prior causes that they had nothing to do with. Hence my belief in the il-logic of pride, and my preference for trying to think of things as being the result of systems and greater forces.

And to me, when I see people as results, it seems a lot more tragic than angering to me, particularly given how impersonal I see it all as, given, again, that preoccupation that I have with determinism.

As far as I can tell about myself, I-or-some-part-of-me wants to be an extremely empathetic person who understands people (including myself in that group), who doesn't rush to cathartic, reflexive judgement, and whose judgement is as accurate as can be given the information available.

At least insofar as my ability to self-assess can correctly inform me, that prism of determinism that I prefer to see the world through is leading me to that Zen-ish place that I'd like to be, and to the extent that I occasionally deviate from that path, it clearly shows me how I've gone wrong and how I can self-adjust.

@Pony

@Smasher this isn't really the index-card version of my thoughts, but my response to Pony is informed by them. I'm at work at the moment, so I'll be a little sporadic for a while yet. @ or PM me if you'd like.
    Loren Michael on
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    thank goodness

this stir-fry I made turned out boss as hell. the wok I bought last week seems to have been a worthy investment.
    wok the walk
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    thank goodness

this stir-fry I made turned out boss as hell. the wok I bought last week seems to have been a worthy investment.

Well, with the right equipment, making a delicious stir-fry is a wok in the park
    turtlesig.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Oh no Jacob. What have you done?
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    evilbob wrote: »

apparently i have caused quite a stir
    Puns wok.
    You can tell by the way he uses his wok that Jake's a stir-fry man, no time to talk
    turtlesig.jpg

i felt a disturbance in the force and got out of bed to glare at this

(secretly this pleases me, like all of your Great Works)
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

If the police ever catch you, you'll fry for this.
    Assuming I won't be able to play it until after the Steam Summer Sale happens

should I pick up XCOM now, or wait until later
    turtlesig.jpg

If the police ever catch you, you'll fry for this.

says you, but I think they'll treat me gingerly, ses a me
    simonwolf wrote: »

Wait.

And roll me a new Maid

http://www.random.org/dice/?num=50

is it on sale now? if so, sure. presumably you'll have money in the summer that you might want to spend on other summer sale games.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular

If you can't play it now and it's not currently really cheap wait.

It was cheap during last summer's sale (although not as part of the Steam sale itself)

There's expansion talk being kicked around so that could mean some kind of gold edition too.
    I'm redownloading xcom very slowly. I might be able to play it again tomorrow maybe. :(
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I have decided what I will do for my friday presentation when it comes.

I will show some of my student films.

I will pretend that I believe them to be fine art.

I will wear a beret during this.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    god the last episode of mad men was pretty bad

lots of people make a big deal about how the writing staff of mad men is mostly women and it's amazing that they can channel the macho world of the alpha male madison avenue

but the last episode was like they had just finished reading 50 shades of grey and were trying to imagine what a man who's into dom in an S&M relationship thinks
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I have decided what I will do for my friday presentation when it comes.

I will show some of my student films.

I will pretend that I believe them to be fine art.

I will wear a beret during this.

Read a poem backwards and shove tinned spaghetti up your cunt.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

If you can't play it now and it's not currently really cheap wait.

It was cheap during last summer's sale (although not as part of the Steam sale itself)

There's expansion talk being kicked around so that could mean some kind of gold edition too.

Right now it's 66% off on Steam, which is pretty cheap by my standards

but I guess it might pop up in the Sales at or around the same price

I'll hold off, then
    turtlesig.jpg
    @Variable holy shit, dude, that is awesome news!
    var

SO YOU FANCY, HUH

YOU JUST GONNA STRUT ERRWHERE NOW, HUH

A NORMAL MAN'S MEASURED GAIT IS NO LONGER YOUR STYLE?

Wait.

And roll me a new Maid

http://www.random.org/dice/?num=50

SOTAR II, the Boyishly Cool Maid
    Athletics 3 Affection 1 Skill 3 Cunning 2 Luck 2 Will 1

White uniform, beige hair, orange eyes

Traits: Greedy, Accessory: Black Leather Gloves

Maid Roots: Childhood friend of the master
    Stress Explosion: Teasing
    Weapon: Frying pan

Maid Power: Skill - Stalking
    turtlesig.jpg
    Hmm pretty average at everything.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    When my g/f got money out at the ATM today I saw the total in her account flash on the screen.

I now have concerns about her sense of fiscal responsibility... >.>
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Also, yaaaay back in my apartment in Japan.

Travelling is fun but it is nice to be home.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    niki minaj was on the radio as i was driving in today

i had a little weep to myself in the car

#freescheck
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    When my g/f got money out at the ATM today I saw the total in her account flash on the screen.

I now have concerns about her sense of fiscal responsibility... >.>

Does she have a separate savings account?
This discussion has been closed.