Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    I've gotten really interested in code testing lately. Unit tests, acceptance tests, behavior tests... it's all really interesting stuff.

Saw a job ad that was all WE NEED SOMEONE TO WRITE TESTS and I had no idea doing that specific thing was actually a job.
    Echo on
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Reganomics!

BKI5-1HCYAEvhwy.jpg
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    A constitution is difficult to maintain. Change it too often and it becomes pointless, don't change it and it becomes a hindrance for many topics.
    To find the sweetspot is once again the problem.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Also I see a new thread about healthcare, oo this'll be interesting, I like hearing the arguements against it. No, turns out some crazy dude is posting again.

The arguments against state funded healthcare all boil down to "NOT WITH MY TAX MONEY".
    Well yes. But I enjoy reading bad arguments.

Also the idea that is isn't in the constitution or wether or not it should be is interesting.

true, true

to be honest i'm kind of put off the whole idea of a constitution

seeing how hidebound the americans are to theirs, it's like an albatross round their necks, rigid and incapible of change

we've changed it 27 times, and our judicial interpretations far more often

it's just a convenient excuse for people to hide behind when they already disagree with something but don't want to come right out and say "I don't think my taxes should help people I consider inferior" or "I need this gun to enable my fantasies of shooting federal agents"

therin lies the problem though

you changed it a lot at first when it was relativly new and considered a living document but these days it's treated as the sacred word of the founding fathers

it's become like asking someone to make an amendment to the bible
    In my mums lifetime there have been five amendments. Though I am surprised that the child labour and equal rights amendments never made it.

How many amendments have there been in our lifetimes?
    None, but I'm saying there were a bunch of amendments in the 60s.

Which wasn't that long ago, in US terms.

for a country as young as the US, 50 years is actually a long time
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The way the founding fathers are revered in the US is strage to me. Sometimes it seems almost cult-like.

It's not even that the founding fathers are revered, bur rather this weird made up conception of them.

People really like to gloss over the anti-religious bent of a lot of them, for example.

But yeah it is pretty odd and very much sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala" most of the time the founding fathers get brought up in an argument.

i have to admit whenever i read a quote by one of the founding fathers it crosses my mind that it may just be part of their legend attributed to them rather than something they said or felt

like the one that actually said the constituion needs to be a living document because one day the views of their time will probably be seen as backward

did one of them say that or did someone make it up because the only way to change the decrees of the founding fathers is claim they gave permission?
    I'm not saying the quote about Jefferson skiing down an errupting volcano is false.

I'm just saying.
    I have my doubts.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I've got two variables. They're both I(1). They are not cointergrated. One still Granger-causes the other.

That's... fine, right?
    My 8 year old niece wanted to watch Aliens last night. Found this in the living room this morning.
    mBNLXQA.jpg
    then i reason what the hell does it matter what the founding fathers felt or wanted? the needs of a bunch of guys who have been dead for centuries come way below the needs and wants of the people alive today
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    edited May 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    I've gotten really interested in code testing lately. Unit tests, acceptance tests, behavior tests... it's all really interesting stuff.

Saw a job ad that was all WE NEED SOMEONE TO WRITE TESTS and I had no idea doing that specific thing was actually a job.
    If you are in the UK my old job was full blown agile by the book. Write tests before you code, code to the tests everything. So many tests. You got really good at writing them.

It was actually pretty awesome in nerd terms.

except for the two people at a computer thing.
    Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    The way the founding fathers are revered in the US is strage to me. Sometimes it seems almost cult-like.

I liked how they were handled in Bioshock Infinite.
    Unit testing is funny in that you kind of code backwards.

Let's say we want a function named add_numbers that takes two arguments and returns the sum.

First we write a test that says so - we want a function with a given name, and a bunch of tests that say "if we give it the arguments 2 and 3 I want the result to be 5" etc - test both ways, both for correct results and incorrect results. You want to try to break a few things with unit tests to see how the code handles it.

Run tests. The tests fail, because we haven't written a single line of the actual code yet.

Write code. Run tests.

Tests fail? Fix code.

Tests pass? OK, done, now write tests for the next function.
    My 8 year old niece wanted to watch Aliens last night. Found this in the living room this morning.
    mBNLXQA.jpg

"Hello? Is this the eight year olds girls father? Yes? Good.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??"
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    mBNLXQA.jpg

"Hello? Is this the eight year olds girls father? Yes? Good.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??"
    seriously

kid should be watching Alien
    Per3th.jpg
    Tav wrote: »
    Shit happens Tav. If you finish you are still doing better than a lot of people.

oh yeah, I'm ok with it

but I realised I mentioned four years and talked about going into forth year next year

it mighta been confusing
    I was making a joke off you continually typoing fourth as forth.

There is a language called Forth. The book for it is called "Going Forth"

man that is an obtuse joke

also typos are totally acceptable during exam week, shut up :P
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    oh my god this is bullshit

geoguessr deposited me in the middle of someone's farmhouse driveway with no way to get back onto the main road I see in the distance

what the fuuuuuuu
    Unit testing is funny in that you kind of code backwards.

Let's say we want a function named add_numbers that takes two arguments and returns the sum.

First we write a test that says so - we want a function with a given name, and a bunch of tests that say "if we give it the arguments 2 and 3 I want the result to be 5" etc - test both ways, both for correct results and incorrect results. You want to try to break a few things with unit tests to see how the code handles it.

Run tests. The tests fail, because we haven't written a single line of the actual code yet.

Write code. Run tests.

Tests fail? Fix code.

Tests pass? OK, done, now write tests for the next function.
    And it works really well.

Just setting up the framework and making sure you do it can be a pain.

• OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

geoguessr deposited me in the middle of someone's farmhouse driveway with no way to get back onto the main road I see in the distance

what the fuuuuuuu

i mean

does it look more like an oregon farmhouse or a belarusian farmhouse
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular

Have you ever been to the capital? Apparently some dude tried to make them into some new Greek pantheon. And there are paintings and art made just for that.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    jesus, jlo

you are hotter than ever

what is this black magic
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

It's not even that the founding fathers are revered, bur rather this weird made up conception of them.

People really like to gloss over the anti-religious bent of a lot of them, for example.

But yeah it is pretty odd and very much sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala" most of the time the founding fathers get brought up in an argument.

i have to admit whenever i read a quote by one of the founding fathers it crosses my mind that it may just be part of their legend attributed to them rather than something they said or felt

like the one that actually said the constituion needs to be a living document because one day the views of their time will probably be seen as backward

did one of them say that or did someone make it up because the only way to change the decrees of the founding fathers is claim they gave permission?

this strikes me as kind of weird, yo

the "founding fathers" were thirty or forty of the best-educated and most prolific speakers and writers of their time and place

they left behind thousands of documents - legal opinions, diaries, books, essays and criticism, newspaper editorials, speeches - and they had wildly different ideas about many things. finding a quote from one of them to support a position is fairly easy unless you're talking about, like, the Internet or going to Mars or something
    And it works really well.

Just setting up the framework and making sure you do it can be a pain.

Ruby is really great for it, with tons of testing frameworks.

I need to think of a small project I can try Cucumber on.

what the fuuuuuuu
    use the local flora to narrow down the latitude you scrub
    Per3th.jpg
    narrow windy road on a mountain or hill

deciduous and evergreen trees

appalachia?

fake edit: noooooooope, oregon
    Per3th.jpg
    But the basic Rspec package is enough for most stuff, and it has a nice, readable syntax. I like the context declarations.
    describe Stream::Twitch do

it 'should be a Stream' do
        twitch_online.should be_a(Stream)
      end

context 'stream is online' do
        it 'should initialize' do
          twitch_online.should be_an_instance_of(Stream::Twitch)
        end
      end

context 'stream is offline' do
        it 'should initialize' do
          twitch_offline.should be_an_instance_of(Stream::Twitch)
        end
      end

describe '#is_live?' do
        context 'stream is online' do
          it 'returns true' do
            twitch_online.is_live?.should be_true
          end
        end

context 'stream is offline' do
          it 'returns false' do
            twitch_offline.is_live?.should be_false
          end
        end
      end

Organichu wrote: »

what the fuuuuuuu

i mean

it looks to be flat and temperate. there is a distant building with a terracotta roof. there is a car, a two-door mid-sized sedan, with a long, rectangular Euro-style license plate.

my instinct is to say Poland for no particular reason but really it could be anywhere.

why was the google van here

why is there no connecting node

the "founding fathers" were thirty or forty of the best-educated and most prolific speakers and writers of their time and place

they left behind thousands of documents - legal opinions, diaries, books, essays and criticism, newspaper editorials, speeches - and they had wildly different ideas about many things. finding a quote from one of them to support a position is fairly easy unless you're talking about, like, the Internet or going to Mars or something

on average how many voting Americans have read, lets say, five of those documents?
    st. louis arch

I WONDER WHERE THAT IS
    Per3th.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Have you ever been to the capital? Apparently some dude tried to make them into some new Greek pantheon. And there are paintings and art made just for that.

No, but I want to. Perhaps I should visit my own capital first, though.
    ok i can see my penis in this pic, even zoomed all the way out

this is elendil's address

what the
    Ruby's really great for making domain-specific languages.
    Organichu wrote: »

what the fuuuuuuu

i mean

it looks to be flat and temperate. there is a distant building with a terracotta roof. there is a car, a two-door mid-sized sedan, with a long, rectangular Euro-style license plate.

my instinct is to say Poland for no particular reason but really it could be anywhere.

why was the google van here

why is there no connecting node
    Just got a location where every single sign and identifiable thing is censored.

Just a giant blur looking one direction.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

One day we will go to Mars.
    3FMmC.jpg
    Kagera wrote: »

No, but I want to. Perhaps I should visit my own capital first, though.

You've never been to Munich?
    edited May 2013

to clarify i'm not calling out everything that's ever been written about them as bullshit or anything specifically attributed to them even, i'm just saying one of the first things i was taught in history class was to have a bit of sceptesim when reading historical accounts about guys like them

they're polarising figures, revered as saints by many and reviled by others

they're so tied up in the American national ethos they're exactly the kind of guys where it becomes hard to disentangle the myth from the men
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    that guess earned me 48 points

good lord
    Per3th.jpg
    11554 points.

My geography knowledge. Apparently Australia and Mexico look really similar.
    elendil, do you and elldren meet up to discuss changing avatars and decide on common themes?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    a japanese restuarant

this must be japan! my logic is flawless
    Per3th.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    how did the google van get lost in that wasteland
This discussion has been closed.