Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Back when I was a computer scientist we had a module that had us do all the assignments twice: Once in java and once in Haskell.

The marking schemes were such though that it wasn't strictly 50:50. In fact it was possible to get a solid 2i with only doing one of the two implementations. So we all just abandoned the Haskell after the first week.
    A friend of mine learnt haskell as their first language. Learning that mode of thinking first really really helped I think.

That is interesting, but I'm worried it may be like only allowing your children to learn Esperanto.

"could you please summon the hall porter, there appears to be a frog in my bidet"
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    tav do you not program recreationally at all?
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Ahhhhh, Stern Show has thrown me off this morning. They've got three guests on today so the show immediately opens with an interview (super rare). Jimmy Kimmel, then JJ Abrams, and then Rod Stewart. Used to interviewers being mid-show.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    So the lady that attempted suicide on twitch today is apparently alive and well. The problem is the donation she was raising for her surgery seems not to be for removing shrapnel that is perilously close to her heart but for her sexual reassignment surgery which some people on the Internet found out about and reacted in typical Internet ways.

This story is frustrating.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I think the reason I gave up the glamorous life of a computer scientist (outside of the stench) was that I find the idea of recreational programming confusing.

That was not a subject for me.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    At least for me I do computery stuff all day at work that, while it is not programming, saps the will for me to program for fun when I arrive home.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Good morning [chat]! I got back last night from Stuttgart by train and the moment we came near Holland everything slowed down and was crammed. :( I really wish Dutch railways would just try to copy the Deutsche Bahn. =/

I'm going to forward this post to the detractors of Stuttgart 21. :P

Good morning!

They'd hate the fuck out of Dutch trains anyway. No way to reserve seating, not enough space for luggage, nothing is allowed to go faster than ~130 unless it's an international high speed train (Thalys, ICE, Fyra).
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    At least for me I do computery stuff all day at work that, while it is not programming, saps the will for me to program for fun when I arrive home.

you ghoulish creature

i dunno, i figure if i'm gonna have to slog through it for 40 years i ought to have confidence in my ability and extract what enjoyment i can from it (both of which i think can be helped by pursuing whatever-related-stuff

i mean, i figure that is one nice thing about programming as opposed to shuffling papers where there's no real way to have fun with it or do it on your own time or do it novelly in personally interesting ways
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Casual wrote: »
    Also I see a new thread about healthcare, oo this'll be interesting, I like hearing the arguements against it. No, turns out some crazy dude is posting again.

The arguments against state funded healthcare all boil down to "NOT WITH MY TAX MONEY".
    Well yes. But I enjoy reading bad arguments.

Also the idea that is isn't in the constitution or wether or not it should be is interesting.

true, true

to be honest i'm kind of put off the whole idea of a constitution

seeing how hidebound the americans are to theirs, it's like an albatross round their necks, rigid and incapible of change

we've changed it 27 times, and our judicial interpretations far more often

it's just a convenient excuse for people to hide behind when they already disagree with something but don't want to come right out and say "I don't think my taxes should help people I consider inferior" or "I need this gun to enable my fantasies of shooting federal agents"
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Esperanto is for dumb-dumbs

now excuse me as I fail about at trying to understand Japanese
    turtlesig.jpg
    Kagera wrote: »
    So the lady that attempted suicide on twitch today is apparently alive and well. The problem is the donation she was raising for her surgery seems not to be for removing shrapnel that is perilously close to her heart but for her sexual reassignment surgery which some people on the Internet found out about and reacted in typical Internet ways.

hoooo boy

that'll do a lot to reduce the already trans-phobic nature of the internets great unwashed

wait, did i say reduce? that's the wrong word isn't it?
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013

hoooo boy

that'll do a lot to reduce the already trans-phobic nature of the internets great unwashed

"reduce" is correct in the culinary sense of the word, making things thicker and stronger
    Jacobkosh on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    i mean, i figure that is one nice thing about programming as opposed to shuffling papers where there's no real way to have fun with it or do it on your own time or do it novelly in personally interesting ways

There was a time when I believed this.

Then I encountered our project coordinators. They take care of the tedious admin for our larger projects. And they enjoy it. At least two of them have had excited discussions in earshot of me about the spreadsheets they have set up to organise their holidays.

It's something I've never encountered before. These are people who do life admin as a hobby.
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Also I see a new thread about healthcare, oo this'll be interesting, I like hearing the arguements against it. No, turns out some crazy dude is posting again.

The arguments against state funded healthcare all boil down to "NOT WITH MY TAX MONEY".

Also the idea that is isn't in the constitution or wether or not it should be is interesting.

true, true

seeing how hidebound the americans are to theirs, it's like an albatross round their necks, rigid and incapible of change

it's just a convenient excuse for people to hide behind when they already disagree with something but don't want to come right out and say "I don't think my taxes should help people I consider inferior" or "I need this gun to enable my fantasies of shooting federal agents"

therin lies the problem though

you changed it a lot at first when it was relativly new and considered a living document but these days it's treated as the sacred word of the founding fathers

it's become like asking someone to make an amendment to the bible
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • TavTav Registered User regular

nooooope

I did a bit in first year, but depression and the jump in difficulty of second year meant I lost all interest. I did a bit last year but this year been swamped by work/school/misc things.

hoooo boy

"reduce" is correct in the culinary sense of the word, making things thicker and stronger

Condense
    Coagulate
    Congeal
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.

you ghoulish creature

i dunno, i figure if i'm gonna have to slog through it for 40 years i ought to have confidence in my ability and extract what enjoyment i can from it (both of which i think can be helped by pursuing whatever-related-stuff

Actually doing programming is a bit more like that. I like solving the problems, it's just my current job is translating business data requests into SQL. Which is incredibly mind numbing. But not for much longer (finishing at the end of the month)
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    for example "this is the way a bunch of guys who lived 300 years ago wanted it to be" should not have become a ligitimate excuse to impede legeslation in made in 2013
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Did I say well? I mean she's in a Hospital and probably not in the sense mentally well that was bad word choice. She's alive though.
    _J_ wrote:
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    @So It Goes @BeNarwhal @Organichu

12215 points in geoguesser
    Per3th.jpg
    for clarification, I failed a year of college and repeated a chunk of it

it will (hopefully) take me five years to get a four year honours degree at the rate I'm going

I'm in my forth year of college but taking a mix of COMP3xxxx and COMP4xxxx modules
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Shit happens Tav. If you finish you are still doing better than a lot of people.

There was a time when I believed this.

Then I encountered our project coordinators. They take care of the tedious admin for our larger projects. And they enjoy it. At least two of them have had excited discussions in earshot of me about the spreadsheets they have set up to organise their holidays.

It's something I've never encountered before. These are people who do life admin as a hobby.
    A friend of mine loves management. He loved being manager at a store and sorting out timetables etc. He was addicted to wow not for the items, but because he ran his guild like a small company and loved that aspect of it.

IDGI, but I don't begrudge him for enjoying that.

Weirdo.

Shit happens Tav. If you finish you are still doing better than a lot of people.

oh yeah, I'm ok with it

but I realised I mentioned four years and talked about going into forth year next year

it mighta been confusing
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The way the founding fathers are revered in the US is strage to me. Sometimes it seems almost cult-like.
    Haphazard on
    what rules are you guys playing geoguessr by

do you allow yourselves to google phone number country codes, for instance?
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It was interesting, if someone had lackluster English in Bali they generally had really good Japanese. Otherwise they tended to have pretty good English.

Everyone wants a cut of that tourism dollar. And apparently English and Japanese are offered in high school (wasn't sure if the guy was trying to say if one or both were mandatory to take, but, they are at least offered). Yay for traveling with bilingual people!
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    edited May 2013
    The way the founding fathers are revered in the US is strage to me. Sometimes it seems almost cult-like.

that is the exact word i had in my head

and Reagan worship freaks me the fuck out too

in the same way Thatcher worship does here but here there is an exactly equal counter Thatcher movement to balance it out
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Tav wrote: »
    for clarification, I failed a year of college and repeated a chunk of it

it will (hopefully) take me five years to get a four year honours degree at the rate I'm going

I'm in my forth year of college but taking a mix of COMP3xxxx and COMP4xxxx modules

i failed my first year (well, i guess i just didn't go rather than failing coursework)

but it is a shit feeling

one dya i will get my degree and i will be the smartest and sweetest and my meaty dick will drag on the pavement
    what rules are you guys playing geoguessr by

do you allow yourselves to google phone number country codes, for instance?

No, that is clearly cheating.

You look at the street view and you guess. No supplemental googling or anything like that.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Reganomics!

true, true

you changed it a lot at first when it was relativly new and considered a living document but these days it's treated as the sacred word of the founding fathers

In my mums lifetime there have been five amendments. Though I am surprised that the child labour and equal rights amendments never made it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It's not even that the founding fathers are revered, bur rather this weird made up conception of them.

People really like to gloss over the anti-religious bent of a lot of them, for example.

But yeah it is pretty odd and very much sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala" most of the time the founding fathers get brought up in an argument.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    i don't google but sometimes i will go down the road for fucking ever looking around for clues

i managed to get within .5km of one place because i'd been there before and zoomed in super hard when placing my pin

true, true

In my mums lifetime there have been five amendments. Though I am surprised that the child labour and equal rights amendments never made it.

How many amendments have there been in our lifetimes?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Tav wrote: »

oh yeah, I'm ok with it

but I realised I mentioned four years and talked about going into forth year next year

it mighta been confusing
    I was making a joke off you continually typoing fourth as forth.

There is a language called Forth. The book for it is called "Going Forth"

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    the most annoying revisionism is in presuming that US states were as non-interventionist as the US federal government was prior to incorporation

true, true

How many amendments have there been in our lifetimes?
    None, but I'm saying there were a bunch of amendments in the 60s.

Which wasn't that long ago, in US terms.

Inquisitor wrote: »

It's not even that the founding fathers are revered, bur rather this weird made up conception of them.

People really like to gloss over the anti-religious bent of a lot of them, for example.

But yeah it is pretty odd and very much sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala" most of the time the founding fathers get brought up in an argument.

i have to admit whenever i read a quote by one of the founding fathers it crosses my mind that it may just be part of their legend attributed to them rather than something they said or felt

like the one that actually said the constituion needs to be a living document because one day the views of their time will probably be seen as backward

did one of them say that or did someone make it up because the only way to change the decrees of the founding fathers is claim they gave permission?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
This discussion has been closed.