Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Oxford comma is when you put a comma before the and in a list.

Ham, eggs, and cheese.

Instead of ham, eggs and cheese.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Holy shit

To my knowledge, there has never been a recorded human culture without dogs.

We commonly acknowledge the fact that we've massively altered the evolution of dogs through artificial selection, but I think we underestimate the degree to which our own evolution has been determined by dogs. The truth is, we've likely been very significantly naturally selected to live alongside dogs.

We don't often think of dogs as necessary for our survival, but I think it's very possible that for the vast majority of human existence we've been completely unable to live without dogs, and this dependence has probably shaped our genes and behavior to a huge degree.

Dogs are literally a human cultural constant; an essential component of mankind.

I think there was a weird break if I remember right. Between some of the proto-civilizations and Egypt or so. We see a break when there are no dogs near human remains and then they pop up again. Now this could just be stuff to do with a change in culture or a health event with in canines but there are a few breaks.

But really we are very adapted to dogs and them to us. Being with and petting dogs produces all sorts of fun chemicals in both brains. Is good for ones health and so on. Also they read us better than we read ourselves which is super cool.
    falasig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I just leaned back and realized there is a cat just hanging out here. That and the dog talk makes me realize how cool having random animals around is.

Like we've got interspecies relationships and trust and stuff. That's cool! And animals that hang out around us cuz they like us.

Neat.
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    I saw a blind aid dog recently. Looked like he lead the dude to the bus stop then sat down like "here is the bus stop dude".
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I just leaned back and realized there is a cat just hanging out here. That and the dog talk makes me realize how cool having random animals around is.

Like we've got interspecies relationships and trust and stuff. That's cool! And animals that hang out around us cuz they like us.

Neat.

Cats even domesticated themselves.

Or they domesticated us, depending how you look at it.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Holy shit

We commonly acknowledge the fact that we've massively altered the evolution of dogs through artificial selection, but I think we underestimate the degree to which our own evolution has been determined by dogs. The truth is, we've likely been very significantly naturally selected to live alongside dogs.

We don't often think of dogs as necessary for our survival, but I think it's very possible that for the vast majority of human existence we've been completely unable to live without dogs, and this dependence has probably shaped our genes and behavior to a huge degree.

Dogs are literally a human cultural constant; an essential component of mankind.

I think there was a weird break if I remember right. Between some of the proto-civilizations and Egypt or so. We see a break when there are no dogs near human remains and then they pop up again. Now this could just be stuff to do with a change in culture or a health event with in canines but there are a few breaks.

But really we are very adapted to dogs and them to us. Being with and petting dogs produces all sorts of fun chemicals in both brains. Is good for ones health and so on. Also they read us better than we read ourselves which is super cool.

This also doesn't necessarily mean the dogs weren't there, possibly the way their bodies were handled changed?

Ie: they were cremated, or eaten
    vspgsp.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Ham, eggs, and cheese.

what's the famous sentence again

to my parents, Ayn Rand and God

can be read multiple ways
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Holy shit

This also doesn't necessarily mean the dogs weren't there, possibly the way their bodies were handled changed?

and then those remains were taken very far away from everyone? There'd be dog remains around human remains if there were dogs around.
    xlh6c3.png
    I'm listening to this song over and over

it reminds me of something that hasn't happened

I'm going to listen to it until I can remember what it'll be
    xlh6c3.png
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    don't know that I've ever used a semicolon

This is terrible; we cannot be friends.

wow!

you can use them all you like
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    don't know that I've ever used a semicolon

This is terrible; we cannot be friends.

wow!

you can use them all you like

I'm just kidding.

Mostly.

I really do love semicolons though.
    Shivahn on
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Shut up you're not cool.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Ham, eggs, and cheese.

I shudder to think of this spawn

Shut up you're not cool.

okay that was kind of a twatty way to word myself

but I'm deja vuing pretty hard here
    xlh6c3.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    My cats are both annoyed because I haven't finished their cat tower thingy yet. It is mostly constructed but requires a bit of bracing and wrapping things with sissal.

Hurry the fuck up god what are they paying you for?

Too damn hot right now, gotta mitre that shit and I don't feel like measurin'

In my old place I would just saw stuff in my bedroom and just not give a shit but I'm trying to be cleaner I guess.

It looked like you had a porch or something you could do that on.

Yeah, but the porch is screened in so it's still stupid hot.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Heh. Not only does each character in Awesomenauts have their own theme song, they have a different version that plays when they get a killing spree too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDB9QxCW1A
    Deja Vu is both the weirdest thing and a NES game.
    Why does this mix I'm listening to have the MIB theme song in it?!
    deja vu is your brain's way of telling you "oh by the way, nothing in your perception of existence can be relied on at all. Enjoy your breakfast."
    xlh6c3.png
    Echo wrote: »
    Heh. Not only does each character in Awesomenauts have their own theme song, they have a different version that plays when they get a killing spree too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDB9QxCW1A

It's a pretty great game, picked it up forever ago when it was free on PSN, had a blast. I've been tempted to snag the PC version too.

Neat.

I was actually wondering...the cause of the "Great Leap Forward" in human evolution in which we started to develop huge amounts of our modern intelligence about 80,000 years ago is still somewhat disputed. The oldest evidence we have of domesticated dogs is only ~33,000 years old, but particularly in early domestication it would be very hard to distinguish them from wolves.

What if we owe our intelligence explicitly to dogs? What if social cooperation between species is a large part of what required us to evolve such a huge capacity for thought?
    vspgsp.jpg
    I'm going through my favourites list on youtube for a specific song

I can plot my level of inebriation and how late it was pretty accurately
    xlh6c3.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Neat.

I was actually wondering...the cause of the "Great Leap Forward" in human evolution in which we started to develop huge amounts of our modern intelligence about 80,000 years ago is still somewhat disputed. The oldest evidence we have of domesticated dogs is only ~33,000 years old, but particularly in early domestication it would be very hard to distinguish them from wolves.

What if we owe our intelligence explicitly to dogs? What if social cooperation between species is a large part of what required us to evolve such a huge capacity for thought?

Bro.

The rule is puff, puff, pass
    Holy shit

and then those remains were taken very far away from everyone? There'd be dog remains around human remains if there were dogs around.

It is my understanding that we tend to be able to recover dog remains because the dogs were explicitly buried.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Best D&D chat thread title in a long, long time.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i am in the mood for a book i think. possibly something genre. i dunno.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Why did that guy pull his car up on the wrong side?

I do that. During a rush, I don't have time to sit there and wait for a pump on the right side. The hoses all extend out anyway.
    network_sig2.png

Neat.

8167200673_fef6a023d1_z_zps8816c133.jpg
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    If someone asks me to write something near two paragraphs, would like half a page or so be fine?

In middle school and high school they were obsessed with impressing on us that a paragraph is AT LEAST FIVE SENTENCES

they told ME to stop doing that though because of my flagrant abuse of the semi colon that would stretch a 5 sentence paragraph into a page long monstrosity of grammar

Oh semicolon, you saucy wench. Do not fret; she knows what she did to deserve it.

God, people who use semicolons -- and dashes -- are The Worst.

Also people who capitalize randomly because they're Amateur Philosophers.
    network_sig2.png
    Dynagrip wrote: »

A Canticle for Leibowitz
    Yay, just 1 more aram and I can buy a new champ :)
    AMADEUS AMADEUS

AM-ADEUS

AMAED- whoops, shit, table there - EUS AMADEUS

xlh6c3.png
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Hop on Pop
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    Holy shit

For instance, Asian and Middle Eastern cultures (or at least, South Asian and Middle Eastern) aren't particularly fond of dogs.
    network_sig2.png
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    mim's av and sig are horrifying
    God I can't wait to get student loans paid out again.

I miss having a vodka bottle at the ready in case I want to spend a night getting drunk and singing rock me amadeus over and over
    xlh6c3.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Ham, eggs, and cheese.

I shudder to think of this spawn

Demands payment from the crowd for the fishes and loaves that he created with the sweat of his miraculous brow

chastises the corpse of Lazarus for being a leech on other's ingenuity
    turtlesig.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Holy shit

For instance, Asian and Middle Eastern cultures (or at least, South Asian and Middle Eastern) aren't particularly fond of dogs.

Not for breakfast anyway.
This discussion has been closed.