Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nothing as badass as driving around a sleepy town listening to a podcast that talks about diarrhea, while playing a recording of diarrhea.

Suck it squares!
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Holy shit

To my knowledge, there has never been a recorded human culture without dogs.

We commonly acknowledge the fact that we've massively altered the evolution of dogs through artificial selection, but I think we underestimate the degree to which our own evolution has been determined by dogs. The truth is, we've likely been very significantly naturally selected to live alongside dogs.

We don't often think of dogs as necessary for our survival, but I think it's very possible that for the vast majority of human existence we've been completely unable to live without dogs, and this dependence has probably shaped our genes and behavior to a huge degree.

Dogs are literally a human cultural constant; an essential component of mankind.

I think there was a weird break if I remember right. Between some of the proto-civilizations and Egypt or so. We see a break when there are no dogs near human remains and then they pop up again. Now this could just be stuff to do with a change in culture or a health event with in canines but there are a few breaks.

But really we are very adapted to dogs and them to us. Being with and petting dogs produces all sorts of fun chemicals in both brains. Is good for ones health and so on. Also they read us better than we read ourselves which is super cool.

For instance, Asian and Middle Eastern cultures (or at least, South Asian and Middle Eastern) aren't particularly fond of dogs.

Not fond of, no, but still extremely reliant upon.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Holy shit

To my knowledge, there has never been a recorded human culture without dogs.

We commonly acknowledge the fact that we've massively altered the evolution of dogs through artificial selection, but I think we underestimate the degree to which our own evolution has been determined by dogs. The truth is, we've likely been very significantly naturally selected to live alongside dogs.

We don't often think of dogs as necessary for our survival, but I think it's very possible that for the vast majority of human existence we've been completely unable to live without dogs, and this dependence has probably shaped our genes and behavior to a huge degree.

Dogs are literally a human cultural constant; an essential component of mankind.

I think there was a weird break if I remember right. Between some of the proto-civilizations and Egypt or so. We see a break when there are no dogs near human remains and then they pop up again. Now this could just be stuff to do with a change in culture or a health event with in canines but there are a few breaks.

But really we are very adapted to dogs and them to us. Being with and petting dogs produces all sorts of fun chemicals in both brains. Is good for ones health and so on. Also they read us better than we read ourselves which is super cool.

For instance, Asian and Middle Eastern cultures (or at least, South Asian and Middle Eastern) aren't particularly fond of dogs.

for the protein
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Nothing as badass as driving around a sleepy town listening to a podcast that talks about diarrhea, while playing a recording of diarrhea.

Suck it squares!

Are you blasting it from the speakers attached to your roof, or just quietly listening to it like a square in the privacy of your own car
    turtlesig.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vdZdf3G0k&list=FLTeq0ER6bNGWmtLmAemQCfQ&index=160

I am getting an intense urge to ride across the steppe in a great horde and fuck some people up
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I just leaned back and realized there is a cat just hanging out here. That and the dog talk makes me realize how cool having random animals around is.

Like we've got interspecies relationships and trust and stuff. That's cool! And animals that hang out around us cuz they like us.

Neat.

I was actually wondering...the cause of the "Great Leap Forward" in human evolution in which we started to develop huge amounts of our modern intelligence about 80,000 years ago is still somewhat disputed. The oldest evidence we have of domesticated dogs is only ~33,000 years old, but particularly in early domestication it would be very hard to distinguish them from wolves.

What if we owe our intelligence explicitly to dogs? What if social cooperation between species is a large part of what required us to evolve such a huge capacity for thought?
    8167200673_fef6a023d1_z_zps8816c133.jpg

Were the dogs the aliens?
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vdZdf3G0k&list=FLTeq0ER6bNGWmtLmAemQCfQ&index=160

I am getting an intense urge to ride across the steppe in a great horde and fuck some people up

how much horse poop did the guy in the very back have to ride through
    sometimes I'll be listening to a podcast, and roll down my window or open my door with my door open

then someone says something horrible about cunts or something and I suddenly remember that I am in Mississippi, so I look around to make sure some baptist isn't pulling a gun on me
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i am in the mood for a book i think. possibly something genre. i dunno.

A Canticle for Leibowitz

read it.
    worrisomeSig.jpg
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Why does this mix I'm listening to have the MIB theme song in it?!

All the best mixes include Will Smith songs.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    so i have a bootable usb drive with windows 7

this laptop came with uefi as the boot scheme, and it won't allow me to shift to legacy in order to adjust the boot order

is there any way to get around this and force boot from usb?
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    i want dis

1000px-Rampage.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I love the em dash -- a pause in the sentence!
    doot doot makin dis chili
    "thug theogony" is a great title for a song
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Suck it squares!

Are you blasting it from the speakers attached to your roof, or just quietly listening to it like a square in the privacy of your own car

It was loud enough to be heard and the windows were down slightly.

Before I panicked square style and rolled up them up.

Baby steps.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    i want dis

1000px-Rampage.jpg

But you already have something that shoots blanks
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i want dis

1000px-Rampage.jpg

Nerf wasn't nearly so cool back when I was a kid...
    SammyF on
    sarks that nerf gun has a foregrip and a drum magazine

that is ridic
    I want four nerf machineguns, two on each arm, all fed from a giant barrel of ammo on my back
    xlh6c3.png
    sarks buy it and affix a laser pointer along the barrel for improved target acquisition laser sight style
    MY SUBPAR NUB KNIFE CUTS ON THIS RED ONION SURE ARE OBVIOUS >:€
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    MY SUBPAR NUB KNIFE CUTS ON THIS RED ONION SURE ARE OBVIOUS >:€

you'll never be a real chef!
    NO.
    desc wrote: »

that is ridic

bro

there are clips, drums, and even belts*

The last three years or so Nerf has been going crazy.

*Vulcan2.jpg

Some of them also optionally use batteries to provide automatic fire
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

that is ridic

bro

*Vulcan2.jpg

blasphemy
    NO.
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    I fucking love that ketchup bot! I had no idea it was a series!
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

Do you have a cite for this? I mean, the best I can think of is my relatives living on farms in Punjab who keep a guard dog -- which is even then viewed as a necessary evil.

The Middle East in general is dog-averse because they're considered unclean animals. Also apparently any dog I see in Amman is probably feral and/or rabid, according to the locals.
    network_sig2.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    I didn't realise chat was being occupied by scruffy-looking nerf-herders today
    turtlesig.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    speaking of blasphemy

hello SiG
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

that is ridic

bro

*Vulcan2.jpg

What the fuck, Nerf is making everything. I can't wait for the Predator Drone Nerf weapons.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    I want nerf airburst artillery.

155mm.
    xlh6c3.png
    The new N-Strike Elite line has blasters (among the Rampage is one) that can fire up to 75 feet stock, 50 feet on a flat trajectory.

They are coming out with this:

8726673579_2ebfc0521d_z.jpg

with a promised stock firing distance of 100 feet
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Now for Controversy.

(Pet) euthanasia: what's the big deal?
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    so i have a bootable usb drive with windows 7

this laptop came with uefi as the boot scheme, and it won't allow me to shift to legacy in order to adjust the boot order

is there any way to get around this and force boot from usb?

You should be able to change it in BIOS. Press Del a few times when you first start the laptop up.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    where's the ketchup bottle one with the music
    NO.
    Now for Controversy.

(Pet) euthanasia: what's the big deal?
    I do not have enough information to form an opinion on such a broad topic, but coming from you, you aren't considering women a pet right
    edited May 2013
    So It Goes on
    NO.
This discussion has been closed.