Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo iPod no! D:

So I just did my first run of week 2 of couch to 5k yay go me etc. etc.

On the way back my iPod cut out mid song, out of battery. But wait a minute iPod, I just recharged yo dumbass. I kept trying to turn it on but the apple logo would appear for a sec, then it'd cut out again with a dull "thunk" noise coming from what I assume is the hard drive.

I get home, plug it in again and after a 10 second charge I unplug it and it reads 90% full, which sounds like a true reading of what should be in there right now.

Guessing one or more section of the battery is kaput and whenever it goes to draw power from it, just dies.

I suppose it's done well, I've had it since September 2009 and it has seen some abuse.

Man. Do they even sell iPod Classics anymore? :I
    camo_sig2.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I would buy a jaguar and five hundred audis
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    The Jaguar is a beautiful car.

Oh the car. I thought SiG was going to buy 120 lbs of jungle cat.

• MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I also find that people are less sympathetic to conditions that don't have specified names and might be the subject of ongoing research and understanding.

I have a mental health diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and also Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified), the latter of which is DSM-speak for "Clearly something is wrong but it doesn't fit existing diagnostic criteria for something more specific".

Even among people who don't have the same stigma for mental illness (like SE++'s threads on brain problems, for example), I can talk about struggling with bipolar disorder but if I bring up my PDNOS issues people are largely confused and sorta struggle to sympathize, because they're not even sure if it's like, a real thing so they're hesitant in case I'm some malingering layabout or something.

I also have some kind of inborn error of metabolism that I've struggled with since a teenager that never had a name or satisfied existing metabolic disorder diagnostic criteria and it was only a few months ago that a doctor did a CT of my organs and went "Oh, you have congenitally malformed adrenal glands, that's probably the source of a lot of this", finally giving me some kind of thing to blame in my body rather than just being a symptoms list.

i mean, basically the nature of existence is unknowable, right? people without physical disorders can often understand what it's like to have a physical disorder - we all know what a leg is and what we use it for, so it's not hard to understand what it's like to not have a leg. we know what it's like to be injured and we know what it feels like to be sick.

mental disorders are different, and i think it goes beyond just stigma. i think it's just hard to actually convey what it's like.

like depression is generally explained as "you've been sad, right? well i'm sad all the time for no reason" but really it's not. the really crippling part of depression are the hits on motivation and sensation a lot more than just the sads. that is - you're sad, but also numb, and also there's no reason and also you think maybe it will always be like this.

and depression is probably the very most accessible and sympathizable of all emotional disorders.

the above is basically true of all mental disorders - they make people act in unattractive and sometimes frightening ways, and they're really really difficult to empathize with in any real way, because it's impossible to get into someone else's head.

I try to explain depression to people who don't suffer it in a way that doesn't rely on emotions. Depression doesn't make you "sad". You end up sad because you are depressed, but that's not what depression is. Depression is the inability to recognize any kind of perspective and it distorts your understanding of the past, present, and the future.

It causes you to hover about, numb and listless, in a constant meaningless present. Your past becomes a horrid blur of all the things you hate about yourself and your life, and the future becomes this grey haze of never-ending being like this.

Depressed people don't just struggle with thinking it will ever get better; they struggle with believing that it was ever better than this. They see their life as this oblivion of an unchanging present. They can't acknowledge that it has been better (or worse) in the past, or that it may ever get better in the future. They don't give a shit about that. They just pass the time, whether it's by sleeping or doing boring things by rote or schlubbing along in their daily grind like an automaton.

A forever present is a level of hell. I think that's a lot more understandable to people than "Well, it just makes you sad and numb."

I've said it before, but that Depression pt 2 comic explained it extremely well. I can't relate to everything in it, and I'm not nearly as bad off as her(him?) and spiders in my hair will always freak me out.

But the suicidal thoughts one was nicely done. It is less wanting to kill yourself and more just wanting to not exist.

It even (slightly) dealt with the fact that depression can be comfortable. Is that the right word? Could probably pick something better.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Build a castle in the shape of a gigantic moai head
    Will there be a basement in the shape of a moai body?
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Someone I was talking to the other day was saying fibromyalgia is likely linked to depression or anxiety - the pain is very real but is caused by neurological issues in the brain itself, and should be treated accordingly. Like a more severe version of the aches and pains and soreness that often accompany depression.

Pretty interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatization_disorder

Worthwhile read if you're interested in these sorts of things.

EDIT: I think my pet theory when it comes to these things is that the individual is highly suggestible. It's the same principle that allows a person to become hypnotized.

What.

What.

I guess it's all just in our wives' heads spool.

I'm trying to be charitable here.

It's not working out well.

Winky, what was that.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the panic isn't irrational. It just gets harder to block it out as the day of reckoning looms.

I just need the day to come around and then I can break down and freak out and then I can start to figure out how to fix shit this time.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If anyone takes the train to Ottawa they can see my fine liquor collection

I mean, they can't have any, because it's mine, but they can watch me drink it and really enjoy myself
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo iPod no! D:

On the way back my iPod cut out mid song, out of battery. But wait a minute iPod, I just recharged yo dumbass. I kept trying to turn it on but the apple logo would appear for a sec, then it'd cut out again with a dull "thunk" noise coming from what I assume is the hard drive.

I get home, plug it in again and after a 10 second charge I unplug it and it reads 90% full, which sounds like a true reading of what should be in there right now.

Guessing one or more section of the battery is kaput and whenever it goes to draw power from it, just dies.

I suppose it's done well, I've had it since September 2009 and it has seen some abuse.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_classic

I'd think about getting one of the flash-based ones if you are planning on doing a lot of running, though.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    My anxiety is out of control lately, it sucks because anxiety is way harder to sympathise with than depression.
    do you ever find that when you are having an anxiety attack and someone tells you to calm down or relax that you just kinda want to make their head go nova as they just made your anxiety twice as bad with a few careless words?

Last month I was crying and going "I'm the worst, everybody hates me, nooo"

and Aaron yells NO! STOP!

and that just made it worse

it was awful because it was just both of us were in over our heads and making each other feel worse over something that was no one's fault

That being said I have been in the middle of a panic attack and Pony is so aggravatingly insistent that I snap out of it ... because I want to strangle him

which works

I guess

Aaron and I need to have a talk about his efforts to learn how to help you. I have some books he can read and some resources I can point him in the direction of, because the simple fact is that him loving you is not enough in and of itself and he needs to know what he's doing. He doesn't. That's not his fault, but as your spouse it's his obligation if he wants to have a life with you. Alex understood that when her and I moved in together and we decided to make a life together, she understood that it's part of our relationship that she not just be supportive of me but to know how to be supportive correctly in a way that makes both our lives easier.

He means well, but he's often out of his depth, and you're not really in the position to educate him on the subject. He needs outside help, and I can point him in the directions of where he can find that help which includes him talking to Alex and asking her for advice, because she's quite good at this stuff and has years of understanding and practice with it that he doesn't.

also

i'm da bes

frankie has an anxiety disorder. she's on a medicine now that works for her and it's not so bad, but it used to be pretty severe.

what i found was that being caring and supportive and nice, while necessary, weren't really the center of what she needed when in an attack. i had to sometimes be kind of stern with her to get her to focus out of her haze. i felt like kind of an asshole about it, but it often helped.

The way I've come to understand anxiety, both the anxiety I struggle with and the kind of anxiety other people feel, is like depression (which I generally refer to as its cousin), anxiety is a distortion of reality and your ability to perceive your own life. But, whereas depression is this hazy grey constant present, anxiety is this snowballing scattershot future that you are constantly and terrifyingly hurtling towards. Everything is repercussions, everything is factors, your brain turns into the shrine of a crazy conspiracy theorist with a spider-web of colored strings connected tacks pinning up unrelated pictures.

When people have panic attacks, they lose track of where they physically are. They go inside their own head on some level, whether it's a PTSD flashback or an agoraphobic hyperventilation or whatever the severity may be, a person who is in the grips of anxiety has lost some touch of larger reality and are going deep inside their own head, which is dark and full of terrors.

What people in those states usually need, I've found, is someone to cut through the out of control weaving their brain is doing and form a solid point they can re-orient themselves around. Sometimes, that means being harsh or stern, but that has to be done with some care so as not to just contribute out of control sensory input to an already spiraling person. Sometimes a soft approach works, but usually all it becomes is more background noise.

Hence Cass talking about how I'm often able to basically infuriate her out of a panic attack by virtue of being obtrusive and stern.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    I also find that people are less sympathetic to conditions that don't have specified names and might be the subject of ongoing research and understanding.

I have a mental health diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and also Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified), the latter of which is DSM-speak for "Clearly something is wrong but it doesn't fit existing diagnostic criteria for something more specific".

Even among people who don't have the same stigma for mental illness (like SE++'s threads on brain problems, for example), I can talk about struggling with bipolar disorder but if I bring up my PDNOS issues people are largely confused and sorta struggle to sympathize, because they're not even sure if it's like, a real thing so they're hesitant in case I'm some malingering layabout or something.

I also have some kind of inborn error of metabolism that I've struggled with since a teenager that never had a name or satisfied existing metabolic disorder diagnostic criteria and it was only a few months ago that a doctor did a CT of my organs and went "Oh, you have congenitally malformed adrenal glands, that's probably the source of a lot of this", finally giving me some kind of thing to blame in my body rather than just being a symptoms list.

You may be very interested to read this:
    http://ollibean.com/2013/05/03/nih-rejects-dsm-5/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nih-rejects-dsm-5

Winky, did you see the stuff I've posted to my Facebook about the DSM-5 in the last couple of weeks?

share!
    edited May 2013
    Someone I was talking to the other day was saying fibromyalgia is likely linked to depression or anxiety - the pain is very real but is caused by neurological issues in the brain itself, and should be treated accordingly. Like a more severe version of the aches and pains and soreness that often accompany depression.

Pretty interesting.

EDIT: I think my pet theory when it comes to these things is that the individual is highly suggestible. It's the same principle that allows a person to become hypnotized.

What.

What.

Winky, what was that.

"it's all just in your head" isn't a thing and don't think Winky subscribes to that notion for a second.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Spool being charitable

Just filling out a whole foods application is turning him into a hippie
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Buying a fancy car is a bit silly.

The best idea is building a strange castle on a remote island. Possibly with lots of odd statues.

It would help with future tourism while also helping out the local community of sculptors in what must be a hard recession.

Also, the blue tshirt is better than the white version I think
    porridge-m-131-french_blue-parent_1.jpg

You caught my attention with this design earlier. I like it in blue as well. This would be a great gym-shirt for me.

Here is the shop. It is a nice place in Wales. They made me a winter jacket that I can reverse to make me look like a Yeti, if all those drunken photos are anything to go by

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothing/t-shirts.html
    http://www.howies.co.uk/womens/womens-clothing/t-shirts/porridge-violet.html
    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    My anxiety is so bad right now that I basically perceive everyone as hating me, forever

Every look is tinged with disdain and disgust

Etc

It sux
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the panic isn't irrational. It just gets harder to block it out as the day of reckoning looms.

I just need the day to come around and then I can break down and freak out and then I can start to figure out how to fix shit this time.

My life often feels like an orbit.

I am in constant helpless free-fall but I keep up enough lateral motion that I never hit the ground and instead manage to keep going.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Sister has concluded exam #1 of 9.

Judgement: Very tough. She got 30 minutes extra to finish because of her Autism, and she used every second of it.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Pretty interesting.

What.

What.

well i mean

what if it's a neurological sensitivity to pain coupled with depression?

does that change anything compared to if it's blood parasites or a secret hidden bacteria or a latent body fungus?

why are the second ones acceptable outcomes for "what is fibromyalgia" but the first one is so unacceptable that you want to punch people?

"neurological sensitivity to pain" doesn't really describe the symptoms.

Like, at all. Or the onset, which... how would you just start being more sensitive for no reason.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    because who doesn't want to live in a moai head?

No one worth knowing
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Yes!
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Finding a gyro place took way too long.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Oh nooooo iPod no! D:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_classic

I'd think about getting one of the flash-based ones if you are planning on doing a lot of running, though.

I am definitely considering one of the tiny lil' ones just for running, but I frankly need one of the chunky ones for regular use. Can't be doing without having my entire music collection immediately to hand at all times. :P
    camo_sig2.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

I mean, they can't have any, because it's mine, but they can watch me drink it and really enjoy myself

anthony b was visiting some dudes in quebec

and they were ice fishing with this little hut and this tiny little wood stove

but they were also chefs so they went inside this little hut on the lake and had this amazing spread and were like, searing foie gras on the metal of the stove

it seemed like the best thing
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Oh nooooo iPod no! D:

Broken iPod buddies! Hi-5! :D

You might be able to get an old one off ebay or something, but Apple doesn't sell the older generations anymore.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    my lack of attendance for a class pushed my grade down in a meaningful way
    emotsuicideh.gif
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Oh, The Onion. You such a card.

https://www.smartrecruiters.com/TheOnion/72119582
    JOB DESCRIPTION
    America’s Finest News Source is hiring a Listening Intern to comfort our staff by providing an attentive ear for hearing their thoughts and worries.

Only applicants that have watched Onion News Empire and posted a review on Amazon will be considered for the internship. Please include a link to your review in your application, and list three (3) reasons why you deserve to be hired.

This is a one-day unpaid position located at our Chicago office. To apply, watch our Onion News Empire pilot (amzn.to/11KlVvn) to see a Listening Intern in action & apply online.

Ideal applicants will have experience nodding their head thoughtfully, maintaining eye contact, and displaying a sympathetic expression. The main focus of the internship will involve sitting in a chair and remaining silent while people talk at you.

Responsibilities will include:

Listening
    Nodding
    Smiling
    Appearing deeply interested in what the speaker is saying
    Remaining silent
    QUALIFICATIONS
    Functional ears and/or lip reading ability
    Meek obedient demeanor
    Caring eyes that sparkle with an inner light are a plus, but not a requirement
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The most competitive candidates will display a strong understanding of The Onion’s unique brand and readership, and also understand that our executives, editors, and writers are emotionally tangled miserable husks of humanity with a plethora of mental issues and life regrets to discuss. Good luck!
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    Abdhyius wrote: »

My life often feels like an orbit.

I am in constant helpless free-fall but I keep up enough lateral motion that I never hit the ground and instead manage to keep going.

My life seems to be just short of orbiting. I manage to go on like I'm not going to hit the ground until it starts getting very looming.
    xlh6c3.png
    how would you just start being more sensitive for no reason.

that time of the month
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    ralph-lauren-car-exhibition-04.png

Hmm...The Type 59 Grand Prix.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

Pretty interesting.

What.

What.

well i mean

what if it's a neurological sensitivity to pain coupled with depression?

does that change anything compared to if it's blood parasites or a secret hidden bacteria or a latent body fungus?

why are the second ones acceptable outcomes for "what is fibromyalgia" but the first one is so unacceptable that you want to punch people?

"neurological sensitivity to pain" doesn't really describe the symptoms.

Like, at all. Or the onset, which... how would you just start being more sensitive for no reason.

how would your brain just start forgetting how joy works and you become depressive for no reason.
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

Pretty interesting.

What.

What.

Winky, what was that.

Did you miss my post on the other page?
    Sorry, I should clarify because it's important. I'm not claiming they're malingering or that it's factitious, I'm claiming that they literally do feel the pain, but they do so explicitly because they believe that they feel the pain. And not in a trivial sense of "they can just stop believing it, then"; believing in the pain is a mode of thought they automatically return to in the same way that someone with depression returns to sadness and thoughts of inadequacy, etc. My point is that I think it's less neurological than it is psychological, and would probably benefit from CBT, or even possibly some nature of psychoactive drug.

I'm saying "it's all in their heads" the way PTSD and depression are "all in your head". It's no less of a real problem.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Evil Multifarious you should come to Toronto for my birthday in November

I think I turn 23

I'm not 100% sure
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    P10 wrote: »
    my lack of attendance for a class pushed my grade down in a meaningful way
    emotsuicideh.gif

This is why you go to class. I had a couple professors bump my grade up when I was just below the cutoff just because they actually knew who I was since I went to class. Go to class
    a5ehren on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My anxiety is so bad right now that I basically perceive everyone as hating me, forever

Every look is tinged with disdain and disgust

Etc

It sux

The trick is to hate everyone more than you perceive them hating you.
    Then walk around with a smug face and tell everyone to go eat a dick.
    TTODewback on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Yes!

Would there be a water slide that comes out of the nose? Or orifice of your choice.
    falasig.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My god The Great Gatsby trailer looks completely amazing
    Honk on
    Your Amazon.com order of "Corsair CX Series 600 Watt..." has shipped!

yessssss go go 1 day prime shipping
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If I had fuck you money, I would buy Ralph Lauren's car collection. And I would buy Jay Leno's car collection. And I would merge them.

Ralph Lauren is the biggest gearhead

my stupid rich uncle is car buds with him
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

anthony b was visiting some dudes in quebec

and they were ice fishing with this little hut and this tiny little wood stove

but they were also chefs so they went inside this little hut on the lake and had this amazing spread and were like, searing foie gras on the metal of the stove

it seemed like the best thing

Why do you say these things before I can get home and eat

bastardo
    I am going to work from home tomorrow in case any computer parts arrive during the day

:3
    holy shit today is zooming by

like i go home in an hour

and it's monday

da fuq
This discussion has been closed.