Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Cass when I see someone hiccuping I think "well that must be annoying for him/her" not "wow what a dingus"

I think "wow what a dingus" because I can control hiccuping and stop it I I don't understand why everyone else doesn't just do this!

(half trolling, half serious, can y'all really not stop it?)

i don't think i've met anyone who could just make it stop

i don't hiccup very often and when i do it doesn't generally last very long, but while it's going on, there's nothing i can really do about it.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    ku-xlarge.jpg

My inner 12 year saw this and started screaming yes. He has now lost his voice.

What is this and how do I get one?

Its a one off Lambo, for some rich bastard

iMtJcS2pl1RIs.jpg

ibxpWEqA1dbSeh.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    How does blood type work, genetically? Like, you're made inside your mother so I don't see how a father's blood type could influence what blood type the child ends up having at all.

All this stuff about "there's power in blood!" blah blah your father was important blah blah. You don't really have any of your father's blood. You have his DNA and genetics otherwise, but blood?

I don't know but I think my wife's rh was negative and sawyer's was positive or something (maybe not rh, I don't know)

anyway she had to get a shot to suppress something, or I guess this pregnancy would have gone okay maybe but she would reject a second or third where the whatever value didn't match
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I'd buy music from itunes if I could do it in a browser without an app

like every other decent digital music seller

I find the purchase experience from amazon way more irritating

like, buy the shit

then launch this proprietary downloader instead of just downloading the file

then like, where is my shit now

whereas with itunes I just buy it and it's in my thing easy peasy

but maybe it's diff on windows and I will come to hate itunes too

Oh jesus I hate that. I've bought from Amazon exactly once because of that. I'd forgotten, blissfully.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Oh apparently that was the last track.
    I guess that is the reason it ended with a bunch of ear bleeding distortions.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    How does blood type work, genetically? Like, you're made inside your mother so I don't see how a father's blood type could influence what blood type the child ends up having at all.

All this stuff about "there's power in blood!" blah blah your father was important blah blah. You don't really have any of your father's blood. You have his DNA and genetics otherwise, but blood?

DNA = "blood" in that context.

I mean really, it's no one's blood but your own. You made it!
    NO.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    itunes is hitler on Windows and I hate it
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    As a happy iTunes user, what's the problem with buying mp3s from one store for a buck vs buying 'em from that other store for a buck? I mean I don't use the other stores 'cause lazy, but I could, NBD.
    because I hate iTunes and it never accepts my login and I'd rather just listen to it on Spotify

That's fair, I'm all about the electronic vindictiveness. (Though will never use Spotify due to "it needs you to use Facebook". See: Vindictiveness.)

Fun fact, it doesn't require your facebook.

<===facebook not connected.

Did they walk that back? I'd read a while back that "yay, it's here! ... For facebook users only, lol". Site does seem to say "sign up with email address" though so... Hm.

When it first started it was facebook or invite only. Think that has changed.
    falasig.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Your blood type does not come from literally receiving blood. Iirc the fetal blood is completely cut off from the mother's blood pretty early in development.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

like, buy the shit

it's bad on windows.
    NO.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    dis daft punk album

hm

What

Did it leak? I thought it was may 17th

http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=daftpunk

this will launch itunes and you can preview it

I like this new style of streaming albums a couple days before they get released

I keep buying the albums so it must be working

I think I only like a few of these songs so far

maybe they put too much mojo into the tron soundtrack

a lot of pop musicians later in their careers transition really successfully to scores - marc knopfler, RZA, trent reznor, daft punk

not so many seem to transition back very well

mark mothersbough
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    ku-xlarge.jpg

Goddamnit, Thomamelas, before I backtracked your hyperlink and found the Jalopnik article, I thought that someone had rediscovered what made 1992 awesome, and flight simulators with moving cockpits were making their way back into video arcades where they serve you pizza as an animatronic teddy bear sings at you while pantomiming at strumming a banjo.

Sammy,
    Thom

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK THAT THING IS.
    IM THROWING MY CREDIT CARD AT THE SCREEN
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Cass when I see someone hiccuping I think "well that must be annoying for him/her" not "wow what a dingus"

I think "wow what a dingus" because I can control hiccuping and stop it I I don't understand why everyone else doesn't just do this!

(half trolling, half serious, can y'all really not stop it?)

The only way I can stop hiccupping is taking a comically deep breath like 'HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' and then holding my breath with my cheeks all puffed out for like 20 seconds

which is WAY more goofy than just hiccuping
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    I really like Get Lucky

yeah it is rad

it is rad to get lucky

like, buy the shit

I buy album.
    It syncs to my phone.
    I don't even need to plug my phone into a computer.
    iTunes is pretty awesome.
    The haters are cray.

the haters don't have idevices nor do they want them
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I also find that people are less sympathetic to conditions that don't have specified names and might be the subject of ongoing research and understanding.

I have a mental health diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and also Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified), the latter of which is DSM-speak for "Clearly something is wrong but it doesn't fit existing diagnostic criteria for something more specific".

Even among people who don't have the same stigma for mental illness (like SE++'s threads on brain problems, for example), I can talk about struggling with bipolar disorder but if I bring up my PDNOS issues people are largely confused and sorta struggle to sympathize, because they're not even sure if it's like, a real thing so they're hesitant in case I'm some malingering layabout or something.

I also have some kind of inborn error of metabolism that I've struggled with since a teenager that never had a name or satisfied existing metabolic disorder diagnostic criteria and it was only a few months ago that a doctor did a CT of my organs and went "Oh, you have congenitally malformed adrenal glands, that's probably the source of a lot of this", finally giving me some kind of thing to blame in my body rather than just being a symptoms list.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    this stream isn't working for me

f u itunes
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    ITunes on windows seems okay to me! Although it does take a long time to start up
    jBEKRTH.png

f u itunes

click the link twice

click on the play button on the album cover
    NO.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    ku-xlarge.jpg

Goddamnit, Thomamelas, before I backtracked your hyperlink and found the Jalopnik article, I thought that someone had rediscovered what made 1992 awesome, and flight simulators with moving cockpits were making their way back into video arcades where they serve you pizza as an animatronic teddy bear sings at you while pantomiming at strumming a banjo.

Sammy,
    Thom

It's a Lamborghini. Your computer screen isn't the only thing declining your card on that particular purchase I'm afraid.
    My anxiety is out of control lately, it sucks because anxiety is way harder to sympathise with than depression.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    my wife bought a bunch of music recently and I made her price match every album between itunes and amazon and buy it from the cheaper store and she was mad about it
    Pony wrote: »
    I also find that people are less sympathetic to conditions that don't have specified names and might be the subject of ongoing research and understanding.

I have a mental health diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and also Personality Disorder (Not Otherwise Specified), the latter of which is DSM-speak for "Clearly something is wrong but it doesn't fit existing diagnostic criteria for something more specific".

Even among people who don't have the same stigma for mental illness (like SE++'s threads on brain problems, for example), I can talk about struggling with bipolar disorder but if I bring up my PDNOS issues people are largely confused and sorta struggle to sympathize, because they're not even sure if it's like, a real thing so they're hesitant in case I'm some malingering layabout or something.

I also have some kind of inborn error of metabolism that I've struggled with since a teenager that never had a name or satisfied existing metabolic disorder diagnostic criteria and it was only a few months ago that a doctor did a CT of my organs and went "Oh, you have congenitally malformed adrenal glands, that's probably the source of a lot of this", finally giving me some kind of thing to blame in my body rather than just being a symptoms list.

You may be very interested to read this:
    http://ollibean.com/2013/05/03/nih-rejects-dsm-5/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nih-rejects-dsm-5
    vspgsp.jpg
    My anxiety is out of control lately, it sucks because anxiety is way harder to sympathise with than depression.
    do you ever find that when you are having an anxiety attack and someone tells you to calm down or relax that you just kinda want to make their head go nova as they just made your anxiety twice as bad with a few careless words?

On the upside the toolset tends to be a lot easier to utilize because you don't have a core refusal to even try, unlike with depression. ie getting an anxious person to try to deal with their anxiety is a lot easier than trying to motivate a depressed person to do the same because by its nature depression fucks with your motivation to do anything.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    my wife bought a bunch of music recently and I made her price match every album between itunes and amazon and buy it from the cheaper store and she was mad about it

I hope you made her fill in an Excel sheet too. Otherwise how will she remember the good times?
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    “While DSM has been described as a “Bible” for the field, it is, at best, a dictionary, creating a set of labels and defining each. The strength of each of the editions of DSM has been “reliability” – each edition has ensured that clinicians use the same terms in the same ways. The weakness is its lack of validity. Unlike our definitions of ischemic heart disease, lymphoma, or AIDS, the DSM diagnoses are based on a consensus about clusters of clinical symptoms, not any objective laboratory measure. In the rest of medicine, this would be equivalent to creating diagnostic systems based on the nature of chest pain or the quality of fever. Indeed, symptom-based diagnosis, once common in other areas of medicine, has been largely replaced in the past half century as we have understood that symptoms alone rarely indicate the best choice of treatment.”
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    ku-xlarge.jpg

Sammy,
    Thom

It's the new Lambo concept car. You're gonna need a bigger card. But basically they realized "Hey, our cars already look like fighters....maybe we should just go whole hog". And I responded with "Squee!"

k-bigpic.jpg
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

http://ollibean.com/2013/05/03/nih-rejects-dsm-5/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nih-rejects-dsm-5

Winky, did you see the stuff I've posted to my Facebook about the DSM-5 in the last couple of weeks?
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Like part of me is saying "I can get behind a car having a cockpit, but why does this one have a goddamned gunsight?" And then part of me is looking up how much equity I can get out of my house.

f u itunes

click the link twice

click on the play button on the album cover

Oh that was weird. The actual "Random Access Memories" page itself had no way to start streaming. I had to click back to Daft Punk and then forward again
    G2Dcf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    that looks stupid to me

except for the controls maybe
    So It Goes on
    NO.
    do you ever find that when you are having an anxiety attack and someone tells you to calm down or relax that you just kinda want to make their head go nova as they just made your anxiety twice as bad with a few careless words?

Last month I was crying and going "I'm the worst, everybody hates me, nooo"

and Aaron yells NO! STOP!

and that just made it worse

it was awful because it was just both of us were in over our heads and making each other feel worse over something that was no one's fault

That being said I have been in the middle of a panic attack and Pony is so aggravatingly insistent that I snap out of it ... because I want to strangle him

which works

I guess
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

like, buy the shit

I buy album.
    It syncs to my phone.
    I don't even need to plug my phone into a computer.
    iTunes is pretty awesome.
    The haters are cray.

the haters don't have idevices nor do they want them

Not to mention, I can do that same thing Skips described on my Android phone via the Amazon mp3 store. Purchase album on pc, phone downloads album next time app is opened, it's automatically in my music player and plays along with all other music.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

Skippy why are you a dork

Also amazon is the easiest thing in the world to buy from

yeah the DSM is... problematic.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Who needs a liver so I can buy that car?
    falasig.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Oh, here's the one that I liked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/health/psychiatrys-new-guide-falls-short-experts-say.html
    The expert, Dr. Thomas R. Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health, said in an interview Monday that his goal was to reshape the direction of psychiatric research to focus on biology, genetics and neuroscience so that scientists can define disorders by their causes, rather than their symptoms.

While the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or D.S.M., is the best tool now available for clinicians treating patients and should not be tossed out, he said, it does not reflect the complexity of many disorders, and its way of categorizing mental illnesses should not guide research.

“As long as the research community takes the D.S.M. to be a bible, we’ll never make progress,” Dr. Insel said, adding, “People think that everything has to match D.S.M. criteria, but you know what? Biology never read that book.”

Dr. Insel is one of a growing number of scientists who think that the field needs an entirely new paradigm for understanding mental disorders, though neither he nor anyone else knows exactly what it will look like.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    Feral wrote: »

Winky, did you see the stuff I've posted to my Facebook about the DSM-5 in the last couple of weeks?

No I missed it.

I just heard about this stuff from my roommate and it blows my mind.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I just discovered Skrillex was the lead singer of From First to Last

this makes me so happy
    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.