Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Time for GoT! Was it good last night?

Is it ever bad?

It is occasionally underwhelming.

It wasn't great last night. The only plot thread that's really allowed to advance at the moment is Jon Snow's, since the rest of their season 3 ducks look like they're in a row at this point.

Looks like the finale is gonna be:
    Assault on Castle Black, Dany invades Yunkai, Joffrey's wedding, Blackfish's Edmure's wedding

Which will be rad but they've all been sort of in a holding pattern, ready to happen, other than the first one.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    hmm

I kinda don't get the common reaction to fibromyalgia and lyme disease

it's like, oh we don't know what's causing this, let's pretend it doesn't exist?

that seems to be a common reaction, at least

like it's somehow not a legit thing to suffer from

I guess it just reminds me of how people who've never been exposed to mental illness think about depression

so you feel bad? why your life is great!

or, so you feel like you don't want to get out of bed? so what, I feel that way sometimes, suck it up!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    GoT was okay.
    xlh6c3.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh Fuck me. I just booked a flight and totes forgot that I signed up for a cocktail class at the same time.
    Do I try and get a refund for the $370 flight or the $140 class?

Pfft. I booked a visit to the dental hygienist, a cricket match and an all day exam, all on the same day. I am the best!
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Deebaser make like a bob-omb and explode (and don't respawn!)
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    also guys im not going to lie olive garden yesterday wasnt half bad

the pasta was okay the cheese filling was good the shrimp was better than if I'd cooked it, and the soup was more than adequate for the price, also breadstiiicks

I think I gained four Ethiopians in weight but, such is the price for mothers day
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ABC News wrote:
    Ricin Suspect Released: 'I Don't Even Eat Rice'

Who doesn't eat rice?

This story is suspect.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

Is it ever bad?

It wasn't great last night. The only plot thread that's really allowed to advance at the moment is Jon Snow's, since the rest of their season 3 ducks look like they're in a row at this point.

Assault on Castle Black, Dany invades Yunkai, Joffrey's wedding, Blackfish's wedding

Which will be rad but they've all been sort of in a holding pattern, ready to happen, other than the first one.

re your spoiler
    blackfish isn't the one getting married.
    NO.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Oh Richard Madden stahp. 8->
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    So It Goes wrote: »

Is it ever bad?

Assault on Castle Black, Dany invades Yunkai, Joffrey's wedding, Blackfish's wedding

re your spoiler

You're right, I always get them confused in the show and I don't know why!
    dkmouthsig.png
    edited May 2013
    Mortious wrote: »
    ABC News wrote:
    Ricin Suspect Released: 'I Don't Even Eat Rice'

Who doesn't eat rice?

This story is suspect.

I don't eat any carb based foods

except lately because I'm like a heroin addict who's been given a lifetime supply of heroin, but my girth having trouble fitting into size 36s is making me reintroduce my rice potato corn pasta ban
    override367 on
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Flipping tables over the 90s

All of these derp bands are such red herrings. Rock music was pointless through the 90s.

The decade that produced no u turn records, metalheadz, suburban base, schematic, drop bass network, etc etc etc

Augh

weirdo niche electronica is niche

Will why are you being a square and breaking my heart right now

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Whoa I didn't realize we only have 3 episodes left. Hmm. This season went by fast, seems like it just started.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

Is it ever bad?

re your spoiler

I just refer to him as Brutus in my head.
    NO.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    those robot posters you guys are making all look identical
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    quid

So like

That hundred push ups site

@desc I'm gonna start doing it on my offs days. Which means starting tomorrow.

Today was 20 minutes on the elliptical and calisthenics from Hell.

Roger
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I grew up in the country at the height of the Lyme Disease panic. ticks were a big scare thing

I grew up in northwest CT and actually got lyme disease. (#oneupsmanship) These days it's no big deal. You spot the bite or the symptoms, you take doxycycline for a while, you're all set. It was only a big problem when doctors had no idea what the fuck was going on and let it run unchecked for years, at which point there was permanent neurological damage.

there are a number of people for whom lyme disease is part of the chronic pain/ fibromyalgia spectrum of "i feel like something's chronically wrong with me but can't find a doctor to agree to an actual diagnosis"

Now wait, lyme disease can be detected through blood samples.

The test isn't that great. It looks for certain antibodies and is often inconclusive. Which just fuels the fire for hypochondriacs looking for something concrete.

god, antibody tests are terrible in general

in 100 years we're going to look back and go, "man, they used antibody tests in 2013? i bet they believed in phrenology, too"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SpPgkHaZc
    i like this

i'm just gonna go ahead and assume every inexplicable recovery is the result of a time-traveling doctor

Pretty much as believable as prayer, but much cooler.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

You say it wasn't half bad? I say it wasn't half good! Oh ho ho ho ho!
    waldorf.jpg
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    They don't even really look alike. I guess they have similar dialogue.
    dkmouthsig.png
    edited May 2013
    Whoa I didn't realize we only have 3 episodes left. Hmm. This season went by fast, seems like it just started.

Daenerys had the very best smugface yesterday

"my gold"
    override367 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    hmm

it's like, oh we don't know what's causing this, let's pretend it doesn't exist?

I guess it just reminds me of how people who've never been exposed to mental illness think about depression

or, so you feel like you don't want to get out of bed? so what, I feel that way sometimes, suck it up!

People are incredibly snide about health problems they don't really know much about or understand, especially ones that are still full of question marks for actual researchers.

This is compounded in the case of mental illness because of culturally ingrained notions of mind-body separation, where people see your body as a system that can have faults and ailments but your mind is you so if something is wrong with your mind then something is wrong with you and why can't you just get over it like other people?

I struggle with both mental illness and a poorly understood physical health ailment and as a result I get all kinds of horseshitted attitudes from people on it, it's incredibly wearying.

You say it wasn't half bad? I say it wasn't half good! Oh ho ho ho ho!
    waldorf.jpg

they charge too much for the quality of their food

but then again I work in a town with lots of little family italian places that charge less and are 50 times better and live in a tourist town with an italian place thats 500 times better and only like 25% more expensive
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Tiiiired
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    @So It Goes

I know one of the investigators on that case. She doesn't talk about work very much, but one day a few years ago she called me up and insisted that I buy her a drink....

I would quit after that

god dammit we need mandatory free therapy for people that investigate/deal with this type of shit

She did. She's with NCIS now.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    the office is really ending on a high note

the last few episodes have been the best in years
    919UOwT.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Tiiiired

Report to London for a slapping and endless pepper vodka shots
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    I have a single final that the teacher scheduled tonight from 6pm to 8pm

total dick move
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Is it ever bad?

re your spoiler

Yeah, I'm not sure why you confuse them either. Other than their last names, there's almost nothing in common.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I've found the best response to fibromyalgia deniers is a punch to the face followed by a few days of recovery, before I beat them awake so they have to hobble to the bathroom "What the fuck, I felt fine when I went to bed, why do I feel like an invalid now"?
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    those robot posters you guys are making all look identical

the options aren't really that varied

@skippydumptruck
    9hkjrl.png
    NO.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    hmm

people resent malingering so much that they look for it everywhere

with depression it is what it is - an emotional problem in which people are sad or unmotivated or whatever. some people might dismiss it as not so serious or that depressives just need to suck it up or whatever, but i don't know that it's common for people to actually disbelieve it.

the response to fibromyalgia seems to be "this person is just faking in order to get out of things she doesn't want to do." some people do this!

my sister-in-law has lupus. she uses it as an excuse to get out of pretty much anything she doesn't want to do, but somehow never has any symptoms when it comes to doing stuff she wants to do.

it's not really my problem - i live across the country and basically never see her - but i still think it's kind of shitty when i visit.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    This Nerf blaster makes me want a real gun
    or an airsoft rifle
    @Organichu
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh Fuck me. I just booked a flight and totes forgot that I signed up for a cocktail class at the same time.
    Do I try and get a refund for the $370 flight or the $140 class?

The class, it'll be far easier.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    in game of thrones after Brutus marries the frey girl he should head north and him and Caesar can hang out
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This Nerf blaster makes me want a real gun
    or an airsoft rifle
    Organichu

Get a real gun. It'll be easier to get, cheaper and less likely to be legislated against.

I need to stop hanging out in the gun control thread.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I think the most infuriating thing people can do with regards to health problems, mental or physical, is offer up a "suggestion" that a person simply will themselves to not have the problem they have.

"Have you tried not being depressed?" is a pretty good way to get anyone who struggles with depression to think you're a fuck-ass!

Like what are you anticipating when you throw one of those out there? "Holy shit, why didn't I try that before! My god, what a game-changer!"

Suck ten dicks for nine dollars, people who do that.

I tore a strip off my family doctor a little while back for saying "You know, you really need to reduce your stress levels", after literally two breaths earlier talking about how my body is physically incapable of normal stress regulation and that I need serious therapy and medication in order to do so.

He apologized, but jesus fuck you're my fucking doctor, man.

hmm

In the case of chronic lyme, the problem is that a lot of people get real symptoms like joint pain and organ damage, then completely lose their shit over it. It takes over their life, they demand their doctors put them on heavy and unnecessary schedules of antibiotics to, like, extra kill the lyme that isn't there anymore. They band together and assault researchers working on treatments. It becomes an issue where it's very "us vs the medical community", and the medical community doesn't take very kindly to that. Doctors can have their capacity for sympathy drained pretty quickly and bedside manner kind of goes to shit.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Real guns are really expensive
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I have a single final that the teacher scheduled tonight from 6pm to 8pm

total dick move

This is most of the reason why I loved my university's way of doing. Exams were all scheduled by the school and the prof's had to obey the time periods given unless there was an absolutely overwhelming reason why they couldn't, in which case they could only re-schedule into one of a couple open periods specifically for that reason.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
This discussion has been closed.