Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust! [Chat]!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Someone I was talking to the other day was saying fibromyalgia is likely linked to depression or anxiety - the pain is very real but is caused by neurological issues in the brain itself, and should be treated accordingly. Like a more severe version of the aches and pains and soreness that often accompany depression.

Pretty interesting.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Tiiiired

Report to London for a slapping and endless pepper vodka shots

Tiiiiiired
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    those robot posters you guys are making all look identical

the options aren't really that varied

skippydumptruck
    9hkjrl.png

yeah maybe it's more a commentary on their art design which is samey
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Real guns are really expensive

Freedom ain't free
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    dis daft punk album

hm
    NO.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Pony wrote: »
    I think the most infuriating thing people can do with regards to health problems, mental or physical, is offer up a "suggestion" that a person simply will themselves to not have the problem they have.

"Have you tried not being depressed?" is a pretty good way to get anyone who struggles with depression to think you're a fuck-ass!

Like what are you anticipating when you throw one of those out there? "Holy shit, why didn't I try that before! My god, what a game-changer!"

Suck ten dicks for nine dollars, people who do that.

I tore a strip off my family doctor a little while back for saying "You know, you really need to reduce your stress levels", after literally two breaths earlier talking about how my body is physically incapable of normal stress regulation and that I need serious therapy and medication in order to do so.

He apologized, but jesus fuck you're my fucking doctor, man.

hahahaha

my mother does this constantly when I get really bad bouts of depression

and the crazy thing? her bipolar is so bad that she literally cannot hold down a job or interact with friends when she's unmedicated, it's one of the main reasons such a huge chunk of my life was filled with poverty, my mom would get super paranoid and quit her job over it because she was undiagnosed and unmedicated

so why she thinks I can just will myself to not be depressed I haven't a clue (well, her reasoning is that women get depressed, but men don't, so I cant have depression)
    override367 on
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Whoa I didn't realize we only have 3 episodes left. Hmm. This season went by fast, seems like it just started.

I was home by episode 2 so it's only been about a month. It is pretty fast.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Someone I was talking to the other day was saying fibromyalgia is likely linked to depression or anxiety - the pain is very real but is caused by neurological issues in the brain itself, and should be treated accordingly. Like a more severe version of the aches and pains and soreness that often accompany depression.

Pretty interesting.

Considering its extremely high co-diagnosis with depression, it would be really unsurprising if they were physiologically related.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    hmm

I kinda don't get the common reaction to fibromyalgia and lyme disease

it's like, oh we don't know what's causing this, let's pretend it doesn't exist?

that seems to be a common reaction, at least

like it's somehow not a legit thing to suffer from

I guess it just reminds me of how people who've never been exposed to mental illness think about depression

so you feel bad? why your life is great!

or, so you feel like you don't want to get out of bed? so what, I feel that way sometimes, suck it up!

people resent malingering so much that they look for it everywhere

with depression it is what it is - an emotional problem in which people are sad or unmotivated or whatever. some people might dismiss it as not so serious or that depressives just need to suck it up or whatever, but i don't know that it's common for people to actually disbelieve it.

the response to fibromyalgia seems to be "this person is just faking in order to get out of things she doesn't want to do." some people do this!

my sister-in-law has lupus. she uses it as an excuse to get out of pretty much anything she doesn't want to do, but somehow never has any symptoms when it comes to doing stuff she wants to do.

it's not really my problem - i live across the country and basically never see her - but i still think it's kind of shitty when i visit.

People like this really, really fuck it up for the ones who are suffering.

Then again: you should look at it like a mana bar. FM fucks up your mana bar really badly and obscures the total from you. So you never know how much you have, and it makes you horde that shit and save it for doing things you like or are important to you. There's just no knowing when it'll run out sometimes.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Oh Fuck me. I just booked a flight and totes forgot that I signed up for a cocktail class at the same time.
    Do I try and get a refund for the $370 flight or the $140 class?

The class, it'll be far easier.

I cancelled the flight because wife's trip actually changed to Saturday morning to Tuesday (which is much better imo)
    imma give them the week to get their shit together.

It turns out I can cancel the cocktail class for a credit, and I've done three there before so it's really nbd. I just feel like a butt for setting it up and subsequently bailing on my friends.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    also guys im not going to lie olive garden yesterday wasnt half bad

the pasta was okay the cheese filling was good the shrimp was better than if I'd cooked it, and the soup was more than adequate for the price, also breadstiiicks

I think I gained four Ethiopians in weight but, such is the price for mothers day

i have not been to an olive garden in like a decade i don't think

they used to have a sausage soup that i thought was all right
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I'm not saying people who question diseases or offer up shitty advice for self treatment of mental illness should be put to death..I'm just saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxlYDG3RS0
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Real guns are really expensive

Freedom ain't free

Freedom should be cheaper.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    That said, to be fair to doctors and the loved ones of people who struggle with persistent health problems, far too many people with chronic disorders of the brain or the rest of the body latch onto them as an entire self-identity, don't fully engage in the treatments that are required for them to live better with those conditions, and lean on their condition as an excuse not to do things with themselves.

I've personally struggled with that at various points in my life. When I was diagnosed with anti-social personality disorder I used it like a shield to deflect criticism and responsibility, both internally and externally. When someone would, out of care, get up on my nads about getting help for my problems and taking responsibility for my behavior, I'd leap behind my mental illness as my nature and chide them for asking me to do something I'm not capable of doing.

And that's a bullshit attitude. People do it, not just the guy who self-diagnosed himself with Asperger's after reading Wikipedia for an hour, but people who literally do have these problems are still far too often enormously guilty of refusing to meet any method of helping themselves halfway.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Flipping tables over the 90s

All of these derp bands are such red herrings. Rock music was pointless through the 90s.

The decade that produced no u turn records, metalheadz, suburban base, schematic, drop bass network, etc etc etc

Augh

weirdo niche electronica is niche

top grossing album of the 90s was electronica
    after taking into account licensing and royalties

and after taking into account money grossed from those licenses and royalties after the 90s ended

Moby's Play
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    hmm

I kinda don't get the common reaction to fibromyalgia and lyme disease

it's like, oh we don't know what's causing this, let's pretend it doesn't exist?

that seems to be a common reaction, at least

like it's somehow not a legit thing to suffer from

I guess it just reminds me of how people who've never been exposed to mental illness think about depression

so you feel bad? why your life is great!

or, so you feel like you don't want to get out of bed? so what, I feel that way sometimes, suck it up!

people resent malingering so much that they look for it everywhere

with depression it is what it is - an emotional problem in which people are sad or unmotivated or whatever. some people might dismiss it as not so serious or that depressives just need to suck it up or whatever, but i don't know that it's common for people to actually disbelieve it.

the response to fibromyalgia seems to be "this person is just faking in order to get out of things she doesn't want to do." some people do this!

my sister-in-law has lupus. she uses it as an excuse to get out of pretty much anything she doesn't want to do, but somehow never has any symptoms when it comes to doing stuff she wants to do.

it's not really my problem - i live across the country and basically never see her - but i still think it's kind of shitty when i visit.

People like this really, really fuck it up for the ones who are suffering.

Then again: you should look at it like a mana bar. FM fucks up your mana bar really badly and obscures the total from you. So you never know how much you have, and it makes you horde that shit and save it for doing things you like or are important to you. There's just no knowing when it'll run out sometimes.

everyone knows you get 3 lvl 1 spells, 2 lvl 2 spells, and unlimited cantrips per day

fucking malingering liars
    my brother loved the shit out of their steak but he cooks everything to death

I thought olive garden steak wasn't nearly as good as something I'd cook and for that price he coulda had a huge fucking ribeye
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    I haven't been to Olive Garden since before I moved to Japan. So 8 years? I like their salad and bread sticks. The rest was meh if I remember right.
    falasig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Pretty interesting.

There's something to that... another interesting thing: PTSD sufferers sometimes end up with FM after they've mastered the PTSD. It's like you get your mind in order, and your body flips its shit instead.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Tiiiired

Report to London for a slapping and endless pepper vodka shots

Tiiiiiired

and a pepper steak
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Pretty interesting.

I read about a recent study finding a pretty tangible link between fibromyalgia and an inflammation of some part of the nervous system my eyes glassed over at that point.

It was apparently a very good step on the way to developing a conclusive way to diagnose it.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    i have thie hiccups

and every time i hiccup my ribcage hurts

nooooooooo
    don't get me wrong I'd never go to olive garden of my own accord, I can cook most of their dishes at least as good for half the price

chili's though

I like a lot of stuff at chilis and no amount of internet snobbery will cure me of this (also they have several good low carb options)
    i have thie hiccups

nooooooooo

maybe you should just stop hiccuping
    SOTAR wins..

this round
    i have thie hiccups

nooooooooo

WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST STOP HICCUPING THEN

i can't without taking a huge deep breath and looking like a dingus
    i have thie hiccups

nooooooooo

why dont you go to one of those fancy liberal fibromyalgia doctors to treat your hiccups and put more drain on america's healthcare
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    dis daft punk album

hm

What

Did it leak? I thought it was may 17th
    G2Dcf.jpg
    i have thie hiccups

nooooooooo

it's cute that you think puffed out cheeks is the straw that breaks the camel's back on looking like a dingus and not, say, well, like every other thing
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    dis daft punk album

hm

What

http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=daftpunk

this will launch itunes and you can preview it
    NO.
    Ludious wrote: »
    i have thie hiccups

nooooooooo

it's cute that you think puffed out cheeks is the straw that breaks the camel's back on looking like a dingus and not, say, well, like every other thing

NO!!
    so you'll freely talk about period shits but you're worried about people thinking you're a dingus?

*takes notes for research study*
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    ku-xlarge.jpg

My inner 12 year saw this and started screaming yes. He has now lost his voice.

What is this and how do I get one?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    ku-xlarge.jpg

dude if you have a 12 year old inside of you with a raw throat i'm gonna have to call the cops
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

Pretty interesting.

i have a doctor friend who is basically of this opinion - that pain sensitivity is highly variable in people and pain sensitivity + depression = fibromyalgia.

of course, no one knows for sure, but it seems like a reasonable possibility.

she was also of the opinion that treating it like a non-psychological/ neurological disorder probably makes it worse for people. there are surprisingly large subcultures of people who need it to be a physical disease with a physical in order to feel validated and end up really devoting their lives to the "cause".

whereas, if it really is neurological/ psychological, at least it gives the people who suffer from it a target to work against. like, if you feel shitty because you have the flu, a few days in bed away from people will help you get better. if you feel shitty because depression, a few days in bed away from people will generally make you feel worse.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Pretty interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatization_disorder

Worthwhile read if you're interested in these sorts of things.

EDIT: I think my pet theory when it comes to these things is that the individual is highly suggestible. It's the same principle that allows a person to become hypnotized.
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    dis daft punk album

hm

What

http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=daftpunk

this will launch itunes and you can preview it

I swear to god, if the only way to buy a digital copy of this album is iTunes...
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
    ku-xlarge.jpg

dude if you have a 12 year old inside of you with a raw throat i'm gonna have to call the cops

No matter how many PM's sarksus sends you with a photoshopped FBI badge, he is not a cop and is not going to take your 12 year old to a safe place.
This discussion has been closed.