Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Alright, made it to the final boss of this dungeon. I hope 28 potions will be enough. It looks like an arena, so I don't think I'll be able to lure the boss away from adds that spawn.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Sushi might be the best thing that has ever come out of Japan

And this is coming from someone who enjoys more things that come out of Japan than he should

Sushi is delicious.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Upon further inspection, I declare Matt Smith fit to rock the shaved-head look. He just has that much swag.

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo3_500.png

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo1_500.png

And his head scar is still badass.

Brb splitting my head open in the vain hope of being that good looking.

It's weird, right? Why is he good-looking?! He is so damn strange. Seriously there is no other human that looks like Matt Smith. Yet somehow it all amounts to attractiveness. Part/most of that is I think he is a fantastic actor and I will fangirl his ass so hard if I ever get the chance, but yeah. Something about the whole thing just works.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    i am thinking about making a chat guild in the game, anyway

some of the G&T dudes in the PA guild are kind of...intense

that would be nice. I usually have to turn on guild chat when I log in.

my friends the other night were telling me they were confused because they thought some of those people were online friends of mine and were wondering how I could stand them. I had to explain the whole subforums thing to them.
    I cut chat completely when I moved.

Then I realized that no one actually lives out here, and came back. Probably should have cut back again once I started going to school.
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    maybe if they had chosen a less terrible framework than XNA

hey now, XNA is super rad. For 2D games anyway.

And on modern video cards 2D is actually harder than you'd think. A lot of frameworks, such as Unity, fuck it up and make it run worse than 3d even.

Video cards don't like huge textures and like being able to optimize swaps to texture memory. You need a very nontrivial batching system to make 2d work efficiently on them.

yeah well

that'd be cool if it were 2d, but its 3D with a fixed camera

and a big bag of crash all day
    kravensig.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

And on modern video cards 2D is actually harder than you'd think. A lot of frameworks, such as Unity, fuck it up and make it run worse than 3d even.

Video cards don't like huge textures and like being able to optimize swaps to texture memory. You need a very nontrivial batching system to make 2d work efficiently on them.

this explains why 2d games have become so terrible since the 1990s...
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    finally home

today went on far too long

How about that, I was thinking the exact same thing

My mom wanted me to watch the Leafs game with her since I couldn't make it out yesterday for Mother's Day

My phone died early into the night so I just kind of chatted with my parents while my sister was downtown watching the game

The server took way too long to get our bill and in that time my sister showed up and I got guilted for not hanging around longer so I did in the end

I was really fucking hoping to finish Bioshock tonight, but I just got home and it's like 1:12am already. Goddammit.
    Rear Admiral Choco on
    CDIOl.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    riemann do you know how big a base win8 install is?
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

wanna say about 20gb even though I'm not riemann
    kravensig.gif
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Work probably plays too large a role in my emotions too

Because of course I've been riding the high of the new job and it's gone pretty smoothly so far

But today was a particularly crappy day and combined with a few personal things I sorta spent the evening watching the hockey game, going for as long a run as possible and then searching for someone to talk to about all of it!

Chat is great for that, too! There is always someone here to listen and sympathize. :) Sometimes ya just gotta vent, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Upon further inspection, I declare Matt Smith fit to rock the shaved-head look. He just has that much swag.

It's weird, right? Why is he good-looking?! He is so damn strange. Seriously there is no other human that looks like Matt Smith. Yet somehow it all amounts to attractiveness. Part/most of that is I think he is a fantastic actor and I will fangirl his ass so hard if I ever get the chance, but yeah. Something about the whole thing just works.

I have no idea. Part of it's the eyes but the rest of it I just do not understand.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    And I was just expecting to go to some little place or chain for dinner with mom and pay for a short quiet evening out and get back home by 8, not actually get drinks at the bar and pay for everyone.

I can swing the extra cost, especially if I pull a few extra evening shifts, but I'm really just in an exhausted, shitty mood.
    CDIOl.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i can multitask ok (at least, when i really need to and i take an adderall) so chat doesn't hurt me in that regard. it's more that i'm in a funky state of mind with my family and despair over my living situation and finances and all that- and sometimes it feels like having a constant IV to other people's sadness can exacerbate that. so sitting in the same chair talking to the same people every day and being reminded that everyone has the same shitty problems that never end can be demoralizing.

i have no problems with the socialization aspect, or it stopping me from doing productive things. but i think for a little while i'm going to continue what i did today (read, code, do other stuff- hopefully work once i find a summer job- during the day and not allow myself chat socialization until the evening)
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Actually, this may be the crux of the matter

Like I mentioned, I'm on a high right now - maybe it's the meds, maybe it's the sunshine, maybe it's the renewed purpose

But there's a part of me that's freaking out because the highs have always been followed by the lows - the really, really bad lows

And I've spoken to my healthcare task force about this and we're all over managing that and it REALLY shouldn't be a thing anymore, but of course there are no guarantees

So one of the most important things during a 'high' point for me is to build up whatever supports I can so that if a low comes along, it ain't so bad

I guess my major concern, therefore, is that I'm not pursuing the things I want and need with the tenacity available to me, all on account of being "satisfied" (AKA lazy)

Like, I'm busy, sure

But time to be doing what I'm doing right now is proof that I could be busier!
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I prefer him with hair.

He had awesome hair.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I might also be fixated on hair now that I'm one of the balds.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

part of it actually yeah. Back until around 1994 when you did 2d you were bliting directly to video RAM. Then there was a dark age when you were still kind of doing that but through expensive as fuck annoying libraries to handle SVGA. And then came the even worse era of early 3d.

When you try to make a 3d card draw a sprite you are actually creating 2 triangles in geometry and assigning your image as a texture mapping across them.

If you fill up your vertex buffer as your code needs to draw sprites in a scene, there is going to be a lot of duplicated textures. Need to batch those up so you get the z order you want (tricky) but also minimize the number of texture swaps to the card.

There is code for doing that in C++ here and it's not super hard but by no means trivial. That is built in to XNA and is the bestest thing about it.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

i won't lie

he is kind of an ugly dude
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    the invisible war

a documentary to make you rage
    NO.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I cut chat completely when I moved.

Then I realized that no one actually lives out here, and came back. Probably should have cut back again once I started going to school.

But then we would see less of you.

Tragedy!
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    the invisible war

Ugh, DX:IW was such a bad game. Why would you make a documentary about it?
    Last boss down! Hooyah
    the invisible war

yeah I've avoided that one so far
    kravensig.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    the invisible war

So to help your blood boil, the Air Force appointed a guy to the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office. Guess what he got arrested for?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Organichu wrote: »

I seem to recall about 11 for x86 or 13 gigs for x64. There's usually a fair bit that comes on top of that though like Office or whatevs.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

i won't lie

He looks like Crispin Glover.

nIEApjh.jpg
    h1DI1.jpg
    i am thinking about making a chat guild in the game, anyway

some of the G&T dudes in the PA guild are kind of...intense

that would be nice. I usually have to turn on guild chat when I log in.

my friends the other night were telling me they were confused because they thought some of those people were online friends of mine and were wondering how I could stand them. I had to explain the whole subforums thing to them.

i was saying racist things about halflings

goddamned apple-eaters
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

part of it actually yeah. Back until around 1994 when you did 2d you were bliting directly to video RAM. Then there was a dark age when you were still kind of doing that but through expensive as fuck annoying libraries to handle SVGA. And then came the even worse era of early 3d.

When you try to make a 3d card draw a sprite you are actually creating 2 triangles in geometry and assigning your image as a texture mapping across them.

If you fill up your vertex buffer as your code needs to draw sprites in a scene, there is going to be a lot of duplicated textures. Need to batch those up so you get the z order you want (tricky) but also minimize the number of texture swaps to the card.

There is code for doing that in C++ here and it's not super hard but by no means trivial. That is built in to XNA and is the bestest thing about it.

are programs not allowed to write directly to video nowadays, or what?

Alright, bosses in Neverwinter hit slowly enough that you should be able to avoid most damage. However, they periodically summon a bunch of mobs that will swarm you to death.

Like I popped around 10 potions during that fight, and most of them were because I was getting hit by 10 orcs at once.
    Mortious wrote: »

I prefer him with hair.

He had awesome hair.

I hope that hair was reassembled and donated to the British Media Museum.
    2319281-doctor-who-series-7.jpg

UNGHF.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Holy shit sonic 2006 is a PS3/Xbox360 game?!?! It looks like a PS2 game. Wow.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Holy shit sonic 2006 is a PS3/Xbox360 game?!?! It looks like a PS2 game. Wow.
    finally home

today went on far too long

How about that, I was thinking the exact same thing

My mom wanted me to watch the Leafs game with her since I couldn't make it out yesterday for Mother's Day

My phone died early into the night so I just kind of chatted with my parents while my sister was downtown watching the game

The server took way too long to get our bill and in that time my sister showed up and I got guilted for not hanging around longer so I did in the end

I was really fucking hoping to finish Bioshock tonight, but I just got home and it's like 1:12am already. Goddammit.

weak. family obligations are exhausting.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    the invisible war

So to help your blood boil, the Air Force appointed a guy to the Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office. Guess what he got arrested for?

marijuana possession
    vspgsp.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    the invisible war Y

oh yeah I saw that

yuuuuuup

this girl had her jaw seriously injured ( he hit her) and has been on soft food for five years and the va claim she put in its over a year old goddddd
    NO.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Actually, this may be the crux of the matter

Like I mentioned, I'm on a high right now - maybe it's the meds, maybe it's the sunshine, maybe it's the renewed purpose

But there's a part of me that's freaking out because the highs have always been followed by the lows - the really, really bad lows

And I've spoken to my healthcare task force about this and we're all over managing that and it REALLY shouldn't be a thing anymore, but of course there are no guarantees

So one of the most important things during a 'high' point for me is to build up whatever supports I can so that if a low comes along, it ain't so bad

I guess my major concern, therefore, is that I'm not pursuing the things I want and need with the tenacity available to me, all on account of being "satisfied" (AKA lazy)

Like, I'm busy, sure

But time to be doing what I'm doing right now is proof that I could be busier!

downtime is important too

recharging mentally and physically

100% busy will fuck you up
    kravensig.gif
    Irond Will wrote: »

i won't lie

He looks like Crispin Glover.

nIEApjh.jpg

what they have in common is almost-nonexistent eyebrows

they look like play-dough-faces
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    90 minutes until I have to "wake up" fuck this waking earth
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
This discussion has been closed.