Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    maybe if they had chosen a less terrible framework than XNA

hey now, XNA is super rad. For 2D games anyway.

And on modern video cards 2D is actually harder than you'd think. A lot of frameworks, such as Unity, fuck it up and make it run worse than 3d even.

Video cards don't like huge textures and like being able to optimize swaps to texture memory. You need a very nontrivial batching system to make 2d work efficiently on them.

this explains why 2d games have become so terrible since the 1990s...

part of it actually yeah. Back until around 1994 when you did 2d you were bliting directly to video RAM. Then there was a dark age when you were still kind of doing that but through expensive as fuck annoying libraries to handle SVGA. And then came the even worse era of early 3d.

When you try to make a 3d card draw a sprite you are actually creating 2 triangles in geometry and assigning your image as a texture mapping across them.

If you fill up your vertex buffer as your code needs to draw sprites in a scene, there is going to be a lot of duplicated textures. Need to batch those up so you get the z order you want (tricky) but also minimize the number of texture swaps to the card.

There is code for doing that in C++ here and it's not super hard but by no means trivial. That is built in to XNA and is the bestest thing about it.

are programs not allowed to write directly to video nowadays, or what?

not really no. Or at least the idea of having a single buffer in memory that represents the screen no longer exists.

You do write to video memory but what you are writing is data about vertices and such which the card then picks up and starts doing crazy maths with.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Upon further inspection, I declare Matt Smith fit to rock the shaved-head look. He just has that much swag.

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo3_500.png

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo1_500.png

And his head scar is still badass.

i won't lie

he is kind of an ugly dude

He does tend to divide the masses this way. He's a hell of a young actor though. If you have the patience, this clip from earlier this season blew me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuDGzIz2uMM
    Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Charlie Brooker described Matt Smith well: he looks like a very very handsome man who had been severely beat in the face with a shovel.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Apparently I share pics on Facebook less than I thought I did (stupid timeline review that I secretly love)

But there's a p good pic of my brother, dad, brother's babby and I

My dad and babby are adorable together

My brother and I maintain the exact same facial expressions in both pictures, terrifyingly
    Charlie Brooker described Matt Smith well: he looks like a very very handsome man who had been severely beat in the face with a shovel.

And it only made him sexier. 8->
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    these women are so brave
    NO.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Actually, this may be the crux of the matter

Like I mentioned, I'm on a high right now - maybe it's the meds, maybe it's the sunshine, maybe it's the renewed purpose

But there's a part of me that's freaking out because the highs have always been followed by the lows - the really, really bad lows

And I've spoken to my healthcare task force about this and we're all over managing that and it REALLY shouldn't be a thing anymore, but of course there are no guarantees

So one of the most important things during a 'high' point for me is to build up whatever supports I can so that if a low comes along, it ain't so bad

I guess my major concern, therefore, is that I'm not pursuing the things I want and need with the tenacity available to me, all on account of being "satisfied" (AKA lazy)

Like, I'm busy, sure

But time to be doing what I'm doing right now is proof that I could be busier!

downtime is important too

recharging mentally and physically

100% busy will fuck you up

But the high, Zampanov, the high!

#ThingsIWorryAboutAt1AM
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    these women are so brave

i hate the internet so much for making me laugh at this post
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Riemann, I watched that physics video

It makes me wish I knew more about physics

It's frustrating because I've heard all the layman's explanations of quantum mechanics and QFT, but I still have absolutely no grasp on the actual meat of it which is depressing to me

One of these days I need to figure out a way to get myself into an actual intro to quantum mechanics class (or something of that nature)
    vspgsp.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    these women are so brave

what

NO.
    Winky wrote: »

It's frustrating because I've heard all the layman's explanations of quantum mechanics and QFT, but I still have absolutely no grasp on the actual meat of it which is depressing to me

One of these days I need to figure out a way to get myself into an actual intro to quantum mechanics class (or something of that nature)

if you search for that guys names he has given a couple other lectures. His scattering amplitude stuff is definitely not for the layman at all but I just kind of gloss over a lot of it and pay attention to the less technical bits.
    and now the male survivors
    NO.
    edited May 2013
    Today's teefury is adorable and I kind of love/want it...

1365398256_1365381799_left.png

Crap the other one is amazing too!!

1365398266_1365381813_right-snow.png
    Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Upon further inspection, I declare Matt Smith fit to rock the shaved-head look. He just has that much swag.

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo3_500.png

tumblr_mmre50dYmZ1r1tf3yo1_500.png

And his head scar is still badass.

i won't lie

he is kind of an ugly dude

He looks like Crispin Glover.

nIEApjh.jpg

what they have in common is almost-nonexistent eyebrows

they look like play-dough-faces
    Dan Hedaya stole their eyebrows and infused them into his own

oU1W1mQ.jpg
    jBEKRTH.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    these women are so brave

what

there's this really persistent internet thing that will quote a really circle jerky opinion- like someone on r/atheism ranting about how dumb sunday school is- going SO BRAVE *weeping tears of admiration* or whatever

my point is that i hear 'so brave' nowadays and start laughing even when it's not sarcastic which is terrible

if you search for that guys names he has given a couple other lectures. His scattering amplitude stuff is definitely not for the layman at all but I just kind of gloss over a lot of it and pay attention to the less technical bits.

What I'd really like something that lays out Heisenberg uncertainty and entanglement and the like in a more technical fashion than you get in your pop-sci books but not quite to the level of "I'm getting a PhD in it".
    vspgsp.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    I am a sucker for Captain Planet jokes.
    Decent chance that'll be my last camwhoring pic with these glasses. I think it turned out well.
    evilbob wrote: »
    Decent chance that'll be my last camwhoring pic with these glasses. I think it turned out well.

You look really good in that picture. And you also rock the shaved-head look! :D
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I always thought Captain Planet was lame.

What I'd really like something that lays out Heisenberg uncertainty and entanglement and the like in a more technical fashion than you get in your pop-sci books but not quite to the level of "I'm getting a PhD in it".

the second half of this lecture is actually pretty good at that subject. http://www.cornell.edu/video/nima-arkani-hamed-quantum-mechanics-and-spacetime
    I am convinced that if I lost ~30 lbs I would be an intensely pretty person.

Convinced.
    vspgsp.jpg
    Ok let's get rid of the military

robots only please
    NO.
    evilbob wrote: »

You look really good in that picture.
    I'm the one on the right...
    And you also rock the shaved-head look! :D

Oh, thanks!

Convinced.

ME TOO! HIGH-FIVE!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

the second half of this lecture is actually pretty good at that subject. http://www.cornell.edu/video/nima-arkani-hamed-quantum-mechanics-and-spacetime

Neat! Thanks.
    vspgsp.jpg
    aaah. finally got some dinner in me. I think its time for some cheap wine.
    charging women with adultery when the man is married and the woman isn't

aaaaaaaaaah
    NO.
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    The end to my journey in Albertais on it's last kilometres. I packed all the shit I don't immediately need up. I pat myself on the back for not buying too much shit during my stay here, the few things I have to leave behind are of little $ or sentimental value and I cleaned that appartment real good. Only thing left to do is to bring back my modem to Shaw. I'll do that Wednesday morning.

Wednesday afternoon I'm flying to site for my last rotation. At 19:30 on May 30 I'll be back for one last night in Edmonton. I'll give back my leys and get my DMG deposite back then. Less than 24 hours later I'll be home, where I belong :)
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

aaaaaaaaaah

Wah?

Convinced.

ME TOO! HIGH-FIVE!

Raven.

You and me.

We will get beautiful together.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    goddamn

Angelina Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy because she had a high risk for breast cancer

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?ref=opinion&_r=0
    bloodyroarxx on
    Cinders wrote: »

aaaaaaaaaah

Wah?
    watching a documentary about rape in the military
    NO.
    I think we have settled on a name for the baby (a boy, due in September): Indigo
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Tough on mime. Tough on the causes of mime Registered User regular
    I think we have settled on a name for the baby (a boy, due in September): Indigo

I read indiegogo
    goddamn

Angelina Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy because she had a high risk for breast cancer

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

woah
    NO.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular

interesting

Convinced.

ME TOO! HIGH-FIVE!

You two need to like take those 30 lbs each of fat, convert it into 30ish kg of muscle, and give it to me.
This discussion has been closed.