Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    I forgot I read some of a book of his essays years ago
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Quizzy are you back in glorious Nippon?
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Change worship into dedicates or idealizes.

Hm...

But then it just reads as "everyone values certain things over other things"

Which, yeah, of course.

I don't mean gods. And I don't mean values. It's a hard concept to define, but worship is pretty close. Not that kneeling fawning Christian worship, but worship as in adore, aspire to, take on as a central part of your identity. Define yourself by. That's much bigger than 'to value'. And as he says, it can be a tremendous intellectual and emotional trap.

He says it better than I can, and it needs the context of the whole speech to make proper sense. But it rings true to me.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Evil nuclear robots.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I am! Though still sporting my tan and bug bites from Bali.

Got kendo tonight. I am going to get thrashed. It is nice to be getting back into the swing of things at work though.

How is you?
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

I am! Though still sporting my tan and bug bites from Bali.

Got kendo tonight. I am going to get thrashed. It is nice to be getting back into the swing of things at work though.

How is you?

Walking lots with the fiancee (12 km today) losing weight, also sorting out money so we can get me a ps4 and her a new iMac since she wants a larger workspace then the macbook allows.
    poshniallo wrote: »

Hm...

Which, yeah, of course.

I don't mean gods. And I don't mean values. It's a hard concept to define, but worship is pretty close. Not that kneeling fawning Christian worship, but worship as in adore, aspire to, take on as a central part of your identity. Define yourself by. That's much bigger than 'to value'. And as he says, it can be a tremendous intellectual and emotional trap.

He says it better than I can, and it needs the context of the whole speech to make proper sense. But it rings true to me.

Yeah, I probably just need to see it in the context of the whole speech. It doesn't also help that all (but one) of the things he puts forth as examples in believing in are religious, and all the bad things you can put your belief in are not.

But yeah, seems I would need to read/listen to the whole thing.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    yussssssss the merman yussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    Prison Architect sounds really interesting.

I realized almost immediately that you must be referring to a game.

But it was more fun to imagine that you were musing to yourself about possible career paths.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

But it was more fun to imagine that you were musing to yourself about possible career paths.

lol indeed
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular

Whereas I immediately thought,

"NBC announces the next show it will promote the heck out of, then cancel after the first episode."

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Workspace for like actual work or workspace for levelling her orc?
    That reminds me that I need to create workspace for building miniature men soon.

I just need to decide what I want to build miniature men for (perhaps just models I think are cool, or perhaps for a game).

I found a hobby shop in my area where I can procure the tools of the trade, finally.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING!?!

LOUD NOISES!
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User, Soft Launch Tester regular

I'm in the beta. It's a good game, though still a little shallow last I checked.

Everything is very cartoony, and there aren't many philosophical or ethical themes really presented, so there isn't much squick factor. It reminds me of a very basic overland Dwarf Fortress, given the population management and NPC temperament control mechanics.
    That reminds me that I need to create workspace for building miniature men soon.

I just need to decide what I want to build miniature men for (perhaps just models I think are cool, or perhaps for a game).

I found a hobby shop in my area where I can procure the tools of the trade, finally.

... I thought the answer was always global domination..

If there's options, then I need to re-evaluate everything I know
    Actually, if I use the rules from mobile frame zero (I think that is the name?) I can build whatever models I want AND use them for a wargame.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png

actual workspace she is an artist.

oooh rad!
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    cabin in the woods was great
    biden%20sig.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    @poshniallo

Have you heard of/played Ryuutama before? Japanese TRPG, described as being like Ghibli meets Oregon Trail

The PDF of the core book is free now, so I have been reading what little I can
    turtlesig.jpg

oooh rad!

Yeah 720p and 13 inch screen isn't large enough for her and my PlayStation monitor doesn't have good enough and accurate enough color for her to use for actual work, also no good if I'm trying to use it for my computer or play console games.
    Podly wrote: »
    cabin in the woods was great

It's like you have a life of sex, drugs and techno awesome that prevented you from seeing this movie when it came out.
    Corebook is free eh? Gotta snatch that up.

I got a couple people in our Miyagi area that have expressed interesting in doing something D&D-esque. Getting the logistics of everyone could meet up could be tricky, but worthwhile.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I would like a prison architect game that approaches things from a bit more of say an alpha centauri approach

Err, not that you're imprisoning mindworms, just, y'know, making you confront the idea that progress is not necessarily good

Stuff like an emphasis on the psychology of what you're doing to the prisoners and spirals of violence between prisoners and guards, exploiting prisoners as labor, etc
    Actually, if I use the rules from mobile frame zero (I think that is the name?) I can build whatever models I want AND use them for a wargame.

This is best. Like, being able to decide what fits your personal style, while not having one style be game-breaking over another is great game design in my opinion

Those Onion-Belt motherfuckers that invented rock-paper-scissors can suck it.
    Oh geeze no more trying to research that game at work, two of the links that showed up on the first google page were for hentai galleries (I assume they share the same name simply by coincidence).
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    Anyhoo, I just realized I haven't chatted in the last week or so.

'Sup chat?
    Oh geeze no more trying to research that game at work, two of the links that showed up on the first google page were for hentai galleries (I assume they share the same name simply by coincidence).

Roll 1d20 for penetrations
    Had a dream a couple nights ago. It involved international jet-pack travel, and an ex. A few days later, still trying to grok all the feels I woke up with that morning.

Good times.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

Hm...

Which, yeah, of course.

but caching is how all efficient minds work

it doesn't matter how much you introspect, if you have to derive everything from first principles every time, you're going to waste a lot of effort. efficient caching of reasonably robust insights is the way to go. he is right that humans form subconscious rules of thumb; he is wrong on when it is necessary to re-evaluate them.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    @poshniallo

Have you heard of/played Ryuutama before? Japanese TRPG, described as being like Ghibli meets Oregon Trail

Just from you. Where can I get the PDF please?
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    I should probably mention that the book is entirely in Japanese

I am mostly just using it to learn new words and such

also look at the pretty art

bUe7eBm.png
    turtlesig.jpg
    poshniallo

I have the link at home, but I am currently phone posting

will notify you when I post 'er up
    turtlesig.jpg
    ronya wrote: »

Hm...

Which, yeah, of course.

it doesn't matter how much you introspect, if you have to derive everything from first principles every time, you're going to waste a lot of effort. efficient caching of reasonably robust insights is the way to go. he is right that humans form subconscious rules of thumb; he is wrong on when it is necessary to re-evaluate them.

Soooo... you're endorsing the concept of a spank bank? :winky:
    still pretty awake

what else should i watch on netflix?
    biden%20sig.png
    poshniallo

I found this:

http://ryutama.mints.ne.jp/DL/Player_summary01.pdf

And a page full of downloads:

http://ryu0tama.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/82/
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ronya wrote: »

Hm...

Which, yeah, of course.

Soooo... you're endorsing the concept of a spank bank? :winky:

you... derive a bank from first principles? I don't wanna know. :rotate:
    ronya on
    poshniallo

I found this:

http://ryutama.mints.ne.jp/DL/Player_summary01.pdf

And a page full of downloads:

http://ryu0tama.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/82/

Hmm! Those aren't where I grabbed the full book, but it might be around there, I do not know, I am Johnny Ignoramus in this space

The page I had was pretty much just a "this is the Ryuutama core book, click here to get the PDF"

seemed like an actual wider book sellin' website or something of the sort

I'll be home in a bit under an hour!
    turtlesig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.