Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[chat] going one way, people another

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    should I watch cabin in the woods?

YES I AGREE WITH THIS SENTENCE

you know what we mean jerk
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like Ascension as an iOS game.

Play by post, quick turns, and easy to assess the entire game state at a glance.

Definitely what gets the most time being played on my iPhone, at least.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    are you guys still loling at all
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    i'll watch it

and yeah i've seen a decent amount of evil dead type movies
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    i made that stupid video

im guessing a lot of people wont but the email said i was one of thirty people asked to make one, from 400 resumes they looked at

it's really good

and even better if you don't know anything about it going in

I can barely bring myself to even ARAM these days.

The gameplay is just too... I dunno. Just the idea of farming up creeps and upgrading my guy every game seems so tiresome now for some reason.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    i should try and hit up the bluth frozen banana stand at columbus circle soon
    biden%20sig.png
    hahaha everyone knows you can't trust the swedes

i love this movie already
    biden%20sig.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The gameplay is just too... I dunno. Just the idea of farming up creeps and upgrading my guy every game seems so tiresome now for some reason.

its so effortless in aram though
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    @poshniallo

I think I've seen this cycle before, where protest votes vault a reactionary idiot into power and it takes a while for people to get even more annoyed at the idiot than at the generic incompetence of the establishment.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    QXMfpJq.jpg

Hee hee!
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Why is Hungary at the pacific rim?

True, my beef with aram usually tends to be that my team does well and then gets confident and then just congo lines into the enemy over and over and then we lose.

I dunno, I'd just rather hide in bushes and pew pew people with tanks these days I guess.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Think about the Mech's name....
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Because Galactus is always very very Hungary.
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Think about the Mech's name....

just got that joke, fantastic

True, my beef with aram usually tends to be that my team does well and then gets confident and then just congo lines into the enemy over and over and then we lose.

I dunno, I'd just rather hide in bushes and pew pew people with tanks these days I guess.

my favorite in aram is when people sally forth to pace back and forth in range of enemy harass

and then they somehow walk into every skillshot they can

and they're not even a character that can harass back! idgi
    Though I am tempted to get into the gundam pods at the arcade now...

It seems neat.

Oh god just take all my money Japan.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    the lanes get pushed quickly so there's not really any need to be near the front line

my favorite in aram is when people sally forth to pace back and forth in range of enemy harass

and then they somehow walk into every skillshot they can

and they're not even a character that can harass back! idgi

I had a game where a nidalee connected like, over 20 spears in a row with my team.

I wanted to cry.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING!?!
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Aram is fucking dumb and it makes me die a little inside that Riot has endorsed it as a valid game mode.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    Feral wrote: »
    Aram is fucking dumb and it makes me die a little inside that Riot has endorsed it as a valid game mode.

Nah.

Though I would like to see more dominion support.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I really like this David Foster Wallace graduation speech thing @Hamurabi posted.

I tried to read his books and couldn't get into them. But this is just a great speech.

I am going to delve back into his books.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Love this line:
    There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship.

So true.

Continues here, spoilered for size:
    “In the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And an outstanding reason for choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship – be it JC or Allah, be it Yahweh or the Wiccan mother-goddess or the Four Noble Truths or some infrangible set of ethical principles – is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things – if they are where you tap real meaning in life – then you will never have enough. Never feel you have enough. It’s the truth. Worship your own body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly, and when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally plant you. On one level, we all know this stuff already – it’s been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, bromides, epigrams, parables: the skeleton of every great story. The trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness. Worship power – you will feel weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to keep the fear at bay. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart – you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out.

“The insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they’re evil or sinful; it is that they are unconscious. They are default settings. They’re the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that’s what you’re doing. And the world will not discourage you from operating on your default settings, because the world of men and money and power hums along quite nicely on the fuel of fear and contempt and frustration and craving and the worship of self. Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom to be lords of our own tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the centre of all creation.
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talk about much in the great outside world of wanting and achieving and displaying. The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day.

That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the "rat race," the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.

I know that this stuff probably doesn't sound fun and breezy or grandly inspirational the way a commencement speech is supposed to sound. What it is, as far as I can see, is the capital-T Truth, with a whole lot of rhetorical niceties stripped away. You are, of course, free to think of it whatever you wish. But please don't just dismiss it as just some finger-wagging Dr. Laura sermon. None of this stuff is really about morality or religion or dogma or big fancy questions of life after death.

The capital-T Truth is about life before death. It is about making it to 30, or maybe even 50, without wanting to shoot yourself in the head. It is about the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time

I think this is the part that is most important to me.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    @donkey kong you made me get this monitor and it's wobbly!

My emphatic endorsement of "this monitor is cheap and seems popular"
    dkmouthsig.png
    I have to disagree with that assertion pretty strongly Posh.

I don't think the idea that everyone worships rings true to me at all.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    "donkey kong" you made me get this monitor and it's wobbly!

My emphatic endorsement of "this monitor is cheap and seems popular"

so you admit you screwed up then
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Change worship into dedicates or idealizes.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Everyone worships. Everyone.

I worship the punani
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    I worship our all-powerful overlord Geth.
    Change worship into dedicates or idealizes.

Hm...

But then it just reads as "everyone values certain things over other things"

Which, yeah, of course.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    People that say that Geth is pure RNG are full of crap.

One, because there is no way his awesoming habits are by pure accident.

Secondly, because it gives @IcyLiquid 's creativity (mad genius?) and willingness to expend free time far too little credit.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
    I AM A BELIEVER.

I WORSHIP OUR GLORIOUS STEEL OVERLORD.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Beep Booper Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Those are both extremely valid points.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    People that say that Geth is pure RNG are full of crap.

One, because there is no way his awesoming habits are by pure accident.

Secondly, because it gives @IcyLiquid 's creativity (mad genius?) and willingness to expend free time far too little credit.

I don't think anyone said pure RNG. He clearly has keyword lists, possibly with probabilities attached. Automated reactions happen as you post, but on occasion, there have been reactions 2, 3 minutes later, indicating someone signs in as geth to react to posts every once in a while.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I really like this David Foster Wallace graduation speech thing @Hamurabi posted.

I tried to read his books and couldn't get into them. But this is just a great speech.

I am going to delve back into his books.

I like his essays and nonfiction a lot.
    Some people in other threads have, DK.

Though, I believe you are right, in [chat] I think we mostly agree that there is more than that afoot.
    AoTsig_zps8cfd65c2.png
This discussion has been closed.