Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Strip Search - Elimination #7

• CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    When it looks exactly like the sorts of sketching you see other artists making before they do their inking, it's not really a unique style, it's just a sketch.

I think the reference someone made to Calvin and Hobbes earlier shows what people mean by saying it's a style (and to me, a very attractive style).

Take a look at one of the old black and white Calvin and Hobbes strips. He doesn't fully close in the forms (Calvin's hair, Hobbes' body.) The "straight" lines are not straight-edge perfect. Lines fall outside of the boundaries of the objects that contain them. I like this style. You may not, and that's fine, it's all opinion.

Yeah Lexxy's could use a little more polish, but I don't even want these comics to have the same flawless quality of her illustrations. I like the roughness of the style she uses for the 90 min comics.

Of course, I'm also one of those people who looks at Disney concept art and wishes that the finished films looked anywhere near as fascinating as those drawings. Too much polish often translates into boring for me.

Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Amazon Wishlist
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Devonin wrote: »
    Instead of saying things like "Lexxy's art looks unfinished" or "Lexxy isn't very good at elimination art" maybe you should give an excellent artist some credit and say something like "It's impressive how she can adapt her style to work in such a short time"

You don't think she is scaling the depth of the art to the time constraint? This is a deliberate and purposeful decision to keep the art in a style she knows she can do in 90 minutes. That's -more- impressive. Not less.

To me, it looks worse than most of the other art that has been put forward in the 90 minutes, whatever explanation you wish to give for that is up to you.
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Odd question: does anyone who found Monica's strip hard to grasp have a history reading longer-form comics? Everyone I know who has read a lot of manga or european comics grasped it instantly. Everyone I've spoken to who found it difficult has asserted that they read primarily simple gag strips.
    Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    Odd question: does anyone who found Monica's strip hard to grasp have a history reading longer-form comics? Everyone I know who has read a lot of manga or european comics grasped it instantly. Everyone I've spoken to who found it difficult has asserted that they read primarily simple gag strips.

I read longer form comics all the time, including manga. I still found her comic confusing the first time around.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Take a look at one of the old black and white Calvin and Hobbes strips.

Like many of us, I grew up on Bill Watterson. I loved Bill Watterson. I bathed myself in Bill Watterson. Lexxy, bless her heart, is no Bill Watterson.

Someone more steeped in art terms (I know "tangent" now) might be better at explaining why the comic you linked is many times better drawn than Lexxy's, but I'll simply have to say that to my very subjective opinion it simply is.

Though I wouldn't say Lexxy's was badly drawn. Just mediocre in the context of all the comics we've seen to date. It was the joke I thought was bad.

I read longer form comics all the time, including manga. I still found her comic confusing the first time around.

First time around, viewing the whole page? Or during the pan in the episode?
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
  • BaelzarBaelzar Registered User regular
    Bring the yuks or go home, seems like.

I thought Monica's was the better work. Lexi's was an old joke. Parodying brand mascots is old hat. Reminded me immediately of the Sprite "Sun Fizz" commercial:

youtube.com/watch?v=rPIdQ8gaRCA

In any case, I think the smart money's on Lexi at this point. It's her game to lose.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    -P. J. O'Rourke

Well the first time around is the first time I saw it, which was in the episode itself.

It helped to have Jerry and Mike explaining it step by step in the episode. Then I saw it later on the spoilers page and appreciated it more.

Don't mistake me, I understood the basic concepts at first (Dinosaur roller skater being told it's better to set that aside for a serious career), It was the overall flow and the final few panels that didn't seem to fit in. My criticism of it would probably be that it's a little too on the nose for the first half (telling instead of showing), and that it's a little too cryptic for the last part.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    I think the one observation from others so far that truly captures why I would have chosen Monica's over Lexxy's is the question "Which strip will I remember the longest?"

Lexxy's was a good cartoon, but Monica's had poetry. Lexxy's made a joke, but Monica's tapped my humanity. Maybe it's just that I come from more of a lit background than a cartooning background, but that is much more impressive to me.

Re: comments about Monica's and/or Lexxy's attitudes

Even if one or both of them had whatever kind of bad attitude or made whatever kind of bitchy comment, would it really matter? This isn't Greatest Personality Search nor is it Search For Mike & Jerry's Newest Best Friend. I think they are both just people. I don't see how trying to psychoanalyze the contestants or Mike and Jerry based on highly edited video of a drawing contest is really a worthwhile endeavor. There is that old adage: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
    edited May 2013
    [img][/img]

Well the first time around is the first time I saw it, which was in the episode itself.

It helped to have Jerry and Mike explaining it step by step in the episode. Then I saw it later on the spoilers page and appreciated it more.

Don't mistake me, I understood the basic concepts at first (Dinosaur roller skater being told it's better to set that aside for a serious career), It was the overall flow and the final few panels that didn't seem to fit in. My criticism of it would probably be that it's a little too on the nose for the first half (telling instead of showing), and that it's a little too cryptic for the last part.

Interesting. Everyone else I've spoken to who didn't understand it said the opposite; that they didn't think the beginning was explicit enough, but the ending was fine.

Edit: I've gone back to the comic five times today to try to figure out where it's losing people, and every single time I get caught up and just end up crying at my desk.
    Cultural Geek Girl on
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just, wow. Where do I start...

Ok, A. It seems a lot of people are having trouble perceiving the subtly of interaction between Mike and Monica, and are projecting. It did get a little dark, but it appeared to me that Monica got over on Mike in those exchanges.
    B. Lexxy's simple style is amazing. The next best would probably be Katie's, then Maki's art in terms of expressiveness. I think if Lexxy could add a little more color, this whole thing would go away, but she works in black and white. Her characters are *alive*. I can draw fairly well, and put down a pretty good detailed image. I definitely can not draw with that simplistic style. It takes real talent to communicate what she does with such minimal linework, not to mention she does it all with near perfect anatomy and perspective with zero reference. It is amazing.
    C. RE: The competition not being as tight. Everyone realizes that most of what the contestants say in these talking heads isn't just random thoughts out of their head, right? There's someone there doing the interview. The leading questions was likely something to the tune of :"Why do you think the judging took less time than your last elimination round". Her response is perfectly reasonable and not cruel in any way.
    D. Mom jokes. This seems a like a cultural divide thing. A lot of older/traditional types have a huge problem with them, whereas the people who love them the most seem to tell them in the abstract. It has nothing to do with anyones actual mother. Also, the 'who even wears stripes anymore' was hysterical. 'Your shirt is stupid' is just like 'you have dumb face'. It's funny in how dumb it is.
    E. I'm really surprised in the disparity in what people find funny on the PA forums, considering their bread and butter are jokes about genitals, bowel movements and absurdity.

Edit:
    And F: Whomever wins may get office space and 15k, but they do NOT get a job at PA. There's no paycheck. So, unless they could instantly monetize their webcomic in a new city, a funds campaign makes sense, be it KS or IGG or whatever. "...to compete for $15,000 in cash and a year integrated into the Penny Arcade machine." That's what Levin had, and Scott and Kris have. They're in the office, but they don't draw a check from PA.
    Kalynar on
    My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Someone more steeped in art terms (I know "tangent" now) might be better at explaining why the comic you linked is many times better drawn than Lexxy's, but I'll simply have to say that to my very subjective opinion it simply is.

Though I wouldn't say Lexxy's was badly drawn. Just mediocre in the context of all the comics we've seen to date. It was the joke I thought was bad.

What we are both presenting is opinion. Assuming that someone who knows more about art can "explain" your opinion, as if your opinion were some kind of cold stone art fact like a tanget, is a bit arrogant of you.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2013

What we are both presenting is opinion. Assuming that someone who knows more about art can "explain" your opinion, as if your opinion were some kind of cold stone art fact like a tanget, is a bit arrogant of you.

You think tangents are a stone cold art fact? That's interesting Quite often, which tangents would be considered problematic are a matter of taste. In one of her streams recently, Lexxy was mocking people for constantly seeing problematic tangents where there were none.

Heck, the Abby episode illustrated this perfectly. The shoulder tangent was obviously an error that Abby agreed needed to be fixed. However, the chest was a deliberate artistic choice. Mike perceived it as a line that was accidentally confusing the shape of the breast, while in reality the decision not to outline the breast was an artistic one.
    Cultural Geek Girl on
  • WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    Kalynar wrote: »

E. I'm really surprised in the disparity in what people find funny on the PA forums, considering their bread and butter are jokes about genitals, bowel movements and absurdity.

I don't find it all that surprising. One of the strengths of Penny Arcade is that Mike & Jerry form a sort of human Venn diagram in the kinds of interests they attract and the style of nerdity they bring to the table. I think Mike is extremely funny, and they are both a lot of fun to watch, but I relate a lot more to Jerry's humor and interests.

edited May 2013

You think tangents are a stone cold art fact? That's a laugh. Quite often, where you might claim to see a tangent is a matter of taste. In one of her streams recently, Lexxy was mocking people for constantly seeing tangents where there were none.

Ok, maybe that's the wrong way to put it. But, "Maybe some art experts can enter the thread and explain why my art opinions are correct, plebian" is still p. messed up.
    Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    WordLust wrote: »
    Even if one or both of them had whatever kind of bad attitude or made whatever kind of bitchy comment, would it really matter? This isn't Greatest Personality Search nor is it Search For Mike & Jerry's Newest Best Friend. I think they are both just people. I don't see how trying to psychoanalyze the contestants or Mike and Jerry based on highly edited video of a drawing contest is really a worthwhile endeavor. There is that old adage: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

The occasional misstep is very endearing. These are people, for goodness sakes, in a high-stress environment.
  • RicciardiVFXRicciardiVFX Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think all in all this was a rough decision for them, and this has been nothing but damn fine TV for us! Great job Penny Arcade and to everyone behind-the-scenes as well!

I think it may also be worth noting, unless I'm wrong, they have gone a week straight now in this intense reality show event lifestyle. I think it's fair to say some of them may be on-edge, nervous, and probably pretty wacky at this point.
    RicciardiVFX on

You may choose to see it that way if you wish. I don't know how much harder I could simultaneously present myself humbly and qualify that this is entirely my subjective opinion, though.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    Baelzar wrote: »
    Bring the yuks or go home, seems like.

I thought Monica's was the better work. Lexi's was an old joke. Parodying brand mascots is old hat. Reminded me immediately of the Sprite "Sun Fizz" commercial:

youtube.com/watch?v=rPIdQ8gaRCA

In any case, I think the smart money's on Lexi at this point. It's her game to lose.

Obviously this is all opinion but IMO what set Lexxy's comic apart is that it takes an old trope (absurd ad about a fake product which is actually terrible) and pushes it far beyond expectations. The characters aren't just subjected to a bad product, they are literally ripped to pieces and devoured by the product. That element of surprise is what got me to laugh.
    edited May 2013
    Kalynar wrote: »
    And F: Whomever wins may get office space and 15k, but they do NOT get a job at PA. There's no paycheck. So, unless they could instantly monetize their webcomic in a new city, a funds campaign makes sense, be it KS or IGG or whatever. "...to compete for $15,000 in cash and a year integrated into the Penny Arcade machine." That's what Levin had, and Scott and Kris have. They're in the office, but they don't draw a check from PA.

Very much this. I'm not getting how people can say, "It's 15K how could the winner need anything else?!" How do you expect the winner to live, man? Best case scenario they do a kickstarter and get instant funds now so that they can art as their full time job. Worse case scenario they have to get some kind of job on the side so they can eat and have a place to live. Hopefully just being on the show will mean their products are more likely to get sold, but there's no guarantee of that, and even if sold product were guaranteed, it isn't necessarily immediate cash in hand. I personally don't know how fast websites like TopatoCo send checks to the creators, but guaranteed it's not daily. You can spend a shitload of that 15k just in moving and placing a deposit on a new apartment.

In some ways 15k is a lot of money. In other ways it's a perilously small amount.
    Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    Yo, it's art. It is the single most subjective thing on the planet. There is actually no way to apply "better" and "worse" as labels without being an arrogant goose.
    C2hmw6F.png
  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    While I'm sad that Monica left, with the past judging history Strip Search had, I can't see that this is a surprising result.

RE: Monica's replies - most of her "NO" replies came from the whole reason of the comic (and she alluded to as such in the car as well) so I can see where that comes from.

I wasn't too impressed with Lexxy's reply though - as someone earlier said, it's something very easy to get misconstrued.

^see? I knew someone who actually knew what they were talking about could explain it better than me.
    edited May 2013
    Every artist in this competition has strengths and weaknesses. Lexxy's poses are great and she's really good at conveying action and expression, but her final sketches feel like an intermediate phase between an initial gesture drawing and a finished contour drawing. A lot of the sketch lines remain, which could plausibly be an artistic choice... still, I feel that if she had more time, she'd probably choose to clean up some of those sketch lines.

Monica, however, managed to do a drawing in the same time that cleaned up all the sketch lines and added gradients, shading, and effective black/white contrast. Traditionally, taking these steps is a key part of producing a piece of comic art for print. If you look at the Calvin and Hobbes strips linked in this thread, you'll see that all of them have undergone this kind of cleanup - even if they don't contain gradients, they contain much bolder black/white color blocking, and a complete cleanup of any initial gestural sketch lines. If you need me to point out specific examples, I can.

Yeah I'm going to need you to point out examples of what the heck you're talking about. Yes, Lexxy's art could use some cleanup, but the gesture and form building sketch lines you're talking about in drawing do not exist on Lexxy's finished strip.

I did a GIS on "rough sketch drawing" so I could find an example of an actual completely not-cleaned-up piece of artwork, and found this. You can see the original guide forms the artist used to sketch out the shape. You can see the first tries for the overall dragon shape the artist wanted. Show me where anything like that is present on Lexxy's drawing, please.
    Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
  • metdennmetdenn Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have to get something off my chest.

to all those saying Monica was doing brilliant countertrolling...You are wrong.

First, analyze what we have here. We don't have an art competition. We have a reality show. If this was an art competition, then they would just have two weeks of them making art or strips, and the best one voted by fans would win. This is a reality show. That is why they have go carts and ping pong.

Second, this isn't solely about finding the "best strip." If it were, they would just read all the applicants comics, have two week meet and great, and pick the best person they get along with who produces the kind of strip they were looking for. This is a reality show. That is why the "make a strip" competition is done in extremely non-real world circumstances.

Once you get those out of the way, analyze how the other elims went. Everyone who has gone in had to be badgered, questioned, bothered and so forth. Hell, Katie had it two days in a row while wrestling with her own inner-demons about it. This was the first circumstance in which the artist "countertrolled" by making BAD TV. What makes her so special that SHE should not be interrupted? Everyone else took it in levels of stride, and hell, Abby was a true countertroll by throwing the questions BACK at Mike and Jerry, and understanding they were trying to make TV. SHE coutnertrolled to GOOD TV. You could feel her tension, while she seemed to understand the NATURE of the challenge was making good TV. She also generate a damn good strip.

Now, I understand that not everyone handles stress the same way, or well, but I don't understand the people running to "rescue" poor Monica, other than a mixture of "white knight," and that people liked her personality. Fact is, she was making TERRIBLE TV, which is why Mike was uncomfortable, because she was making the SHOW bad. Can you imagine if the elims were silent watching them draw? It would be boring. If Mike didn't keep the angle of bothering her going, it would a. give her an advantage over the others who helped make good TV b. unfair to Lexxy who actually interacted and c. make for a crappy to watch elim challenge.

Oh, P.S., a "your mom" has been ridden into the ground so much that it reminds me OF YOUR MOM. See, easy way out. At least Abby's "suck a dick," was done in a funny way, not whispered in a EXTREMELY passive-aggressive manner. All in all, the only thing funny about Monica this episode was how Mike SAVED it.

Now I like Monica. She's funny and her strip is great. HOWEVER, she came off as a petulant child, unable to deal with the stress of the challenge in an adult way, and people defending that action seems to miss the fundamental point of this show. Entertainment.

Now, on an un-rant-related point, her strip was poignant, but it didn't flow great, and the fact is, dinos and roller skates were props, just like Amy's were. If she picked "flower" and "driving" it would have been the same comic. Yes, the judges seem to prefer funny, and that is mainly because funny seems to sell, based upon their experience and marketing. However, the strip was mainly a response to the badgering, which (and this is just to me) seemed a bit like "Pick me." Same reason I didn't like Katie's second strip, although I love her. The strip should be independent to the competition, and without the other context, it's just a dinosaur wanting to Rollerblade instead of getting a job.

Oh, and if her comic is her answer to "Why become a comic artist," then she could have ended the whole uncomfortableness by saying, "Because I love it." Simple.
    metdenn on
    Why I disagree that it was bad TV is that she didn't actually ignore Mike. If she had just sat there silently, I would understand her complaint. But for all her protestations, she actually did respond to each attack with a perry (is that right? I don't know fencing terminology either).
    Why I disagree that it was bad TV is that she didn't actually ignore Mike. If she had just sat there silently, I would understand her complaint. But for all her protestations, she actually did respond to each attack with a perry (is that right? I don't know fencing terminology either).

Parry is the word.

Monica was fine to do what she wanted, and Mike should have anticipated that some people might take his heckling very negatively (and maybe he did). My only deal is that I felt uncomfortable watching it, and also felt that both Monica and Mike were uncomfortable too, though that may have just been me projecting my own discomfort.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    Ink-

She sat their silently for the most part, then she kept shhing and "you'll seeing" with whispered retorts. That isn't good tv. Without the subtitles and Mike's hard reaction, it would not have even registered.

-Good natured teaching moment- It's parry, as with weapons :)
    edited May 2013
    Every artist in this competition has strengths and weaknesses. Lexxy's poses are great and she's really good at conveying action and expression, but her final sketches feel like an intermediate phase between an initial gesture drawing and a finished contour drawing. A lot of the sketch lines remain, which could plausibly be an artistic choice... still, I feel that if she had more time, she'd probably choose to clean up some of those sketch lines.

Monica, however, managed to do a drawing in the same time that cleaned up all the sketch lines and added gradients, shading, and effective black/white contrast. Traditionally, taking these steps is a key part of producing a piece of comic art for print. If you look at the Calvin and Hobbes strips linked in this thread, you'll see that all of them have undergone this kind of cleanup - even if they don't contain gradients, they contain much bolder black/white color blocking, and a complete cleanup of any initial gestural sketch lines. If you need me to point out specific examples, I can.

Yeah I'm going to need you to point out examples of what the heck you're talking about. Yes, Lexxy's art could use some cleanup, but the gesture and form building sketch lines you're talking about in drawing do not exist on Lexxy's finished strip.

I did a GIS on "rough sketch drawing" so I could find an example of an actual completely not-cleaned-up piece of artwork, and found this. You can see the original guide forms the artist used to sketch out the shape. You can see the first tries for the overall dragon shape the artist wanted. Show me where anything like that is present on Lexxy's drawing, please.

Note that I said an intermediate stage, BETWEEN a sketch and a finished project. To try to explain further, bring Lexxy's comic up on the strip search site. Look at the line of the chin and cheek of the girl in the lower left hand panel. There is a double line there where a single line would be much cleaner. Look at two children on the top right: the line for their necks intersect with the line of their cheek. Also notice in the Calvin and Hobbes strips, how the arm and the shoulders are always connected with a solid line. While hair and fur might have gaps in the line in order to convey messiness and fuzziness, the contours of the limbs are almost always outlined, or filled with a gradient or color to establish the shape. The camera man in the lower central panel lacks these connecting lines that delineate the edges of his form, instead he is a gestural representation intended to hint at action and form, rather than show the full contour. note the obvious gaps in his shoulder and crotch.

Look also at the blacks. They are obviously quickly and gesturally filled in. The effect is charming, but less polished.

Compare that to Lexxy's own viral table flip comic: The contours are steadier, there are fewer accidental double lines, gaps in the inks of the blacks are obviously deliberate and achieve a specific effect, using standard techniques to imply shading. Gradients are used. The fingers join to each other without visible gaps between them, with contours even more defined by the addition of gradients etc.

If you need me to actually copy these over and draw circles and arrows, let me know.

Again, I do not think that Lexxy's art is in any way bad. I feel like her strip search comics lack some specific pieces of polish we associate with traditional newsprint comics. I'm not saying that a comic needs to resemble a traditional newsprint comic to be good, or to win - I'm merely trying to explain why some people, who are used to seeing newspaper comics, might think her show comics look less finished than, say, her viral table flip.

tumblr_lm0df4aSJ21qd80v3o1_1280.jpg

Cultural Geek Girl on
    edited May 2013
    It's easy to criticize Monica but take a minute to reflect on how the facts that:

1. She's good at comics, she knows it, and she had a legitimate chance of winning the show and
    2. How life-altering it would have been for her to win, as a young artist who obviously has a lot of demons associated with pursuing her passions.

While Mike is pestering her to death and distracting her you can almost feel her about to snap and scream, "This is a joke to you but don't you realize how important this is to me?!"
    Lamp on
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    I haven't finished this episode yet (paused to do the Home Edition #ElimComic), but holy shit @ 8 pages of comments already. I'm excited to see what went down this episode!

Here's my submission for this week's Home Edition comic.

Monica really rocked last week with her ping pong skills, so I guess I'm rooting for her. Time to watch!
    PA-Signature.gif
    edited May 2013
    Lamp-

So it's not important to everyone else? Was Monica the SOLE person who is a "young artist who obviously has a lot of demons associated with pursuing her passions?" What was Amy to you?

Which is why I said she came off as a petulant child. When the cards were down, she made bad tv. She produced a nice strip, but did so in a way that made her seem very immature. Which could have played a role in the outcome. While her humor would go great in the PA offices, they might not want to invest a year into someone who, when the pressure mounts, does not handle it well.

Or it was just bad TV, and as a viewer, turned me off a bit. No matter how many times she "shits her pants."
    metdenn on
    edited May 2013
    Eesh, I'm not saying it was great TV or her attitude was awesome, I'm saying show a little compassion.
    Lamp on
    I think Mike is just as much to blame, if not more so, than Monica is for how uncomfortable that episode is. He's learned that playing the asshole can get some great reactions from people for maximum comedy, but at a certain point he should have stopped pressing the same issue with her once he figured out he wasn't going to go there with him.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    Cambiata- So if she refused to talk, then what? Just pester Lexxy, punish her for being a good sport? Should everyone have the option of doing the show in silence?

Monica shouldn't be rewarded for refusing to play along. Mike was being the "asshole judge," like many reality shows have. They do that to make the boring competition exciting, and so far I have had no complaints about the elim, until now.

And the "asshole" seemed pretty niceand understanding in the end by not destroying the piece. You know, when he wasn't trying to make good tv.
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    I like, "Who wears stripes anymore?". Monica's standee is wearing stripes.
  • Samurai JackSamurai Jack Registered User regular
    I found Monica's strip to be really touching, and was surprised by their interpretation of it, which I felt was pretty off the mark. I thought, at first, that the point by point explanation was a joke. It's about being forced by practical circumstances to give up on your dreams, but not really being able to let them go. To be fair, the subjects could have been literally any passion and any characters, and I think this the real downfall here. Lexxy's comic was actually about dinosaurs. You see this as a deciding factor on every cooking competition show, as well.

I'm sad because I was really rooting for Monica from the start, but the beauty of this show is that all the contestants are likeable.