Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[MOBA] league and dota and smite and qtpie

• DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    EA revolutionizes the MOBA genre by innovatively introducing new ways to bleed you dry with microtransactions.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Ymir owns. He fucking owns!Registered User regular
    also, sixty dollar up front pricetag
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Console mobas with season passes for multi.
    HlDUfm7.png
    Also microtransactions to unlock in game chat.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    EVILectronic Arts, amirite?

ea hate is sooooooooooo boring
    2wrn580.png
  • MarthMarth Sad Schaub Registered User regular
    Well it looks like my roommate and his MacBook Pro are moving out soon. No more League for the foreseeable future. :(
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    To be fair, their official statement thing is basically just a string of buzz words that say fuck all about the gameplay.

Based on that much so far I'm in the camp of not giving a fuck until I see something interesting.
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Ymir owns. He fucking owns!Registered User regular
    hullis the general EA hate is very old hat yes but the company does have a long history of just not getting the microtransaction model
    To be fair, their official statement thing is basically just a string of buzz words that say fuck all about the gameplay.

Based on that much so far I'm in the camp of not giving a fuck until I see something interesting.

whoa a PR statement being nothing more than obtuse language??????
    2wrn580.png
    Druhim wrote: »
    Also microtransactions to unlock in game chat.

no no, microtransactions to turn OFF in game chat

In-game chat will be set to team chat, global chat, or enemy team chat, depending on where you pre-ordered.
    HlDUfm7.png

Also to be fair, they haven't officially announced it yet. Someone just stumbled across the unfinished website.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    hullis the general EA hate is very old hat yes but the company does have a long history of just not getting the microtransaction model
    Mass Effect 3 multi seemed to have a decent idea of what it was doing
    2wrn580.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

whoa a PR statement being nothing more than obtuse language??????

I don't exactly get the snark here. There are games that come out with an elevator pitch that say a lot more and lay out 'this is what we want to do with this'.

Never mind the fact that whether it's expected or not having a teaser statement say nothing at all unsurprisingly does nothing.

About the only interesting snippet dropped is the apparent focus on player steered story and content. Which is interesting but comes off as sounding really buzz wordy because no ones really done story in a MOBA before and again, they aren't saying anything about how this might work.

I have no idea why I'm even responding to you honestly.
    Regardless I will be keeping an eye on this because it started as a Visceral joint?
    2wrn580.png
    Mass Effect 3 multi seemed to have a decent idea of what it was doing

I wouldn't describe the transaction model for items as particularly elegant.

But man, people are just making jokes.
    HlDUfm7.png
    Those jokes have gotten very, very old recently
    2wrn580.png
  • KayKay Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    what was wrong with lady lynnette?

When I made it I didn't realize it was going to be my display name ingame. It just sounds kind of roleplay-ish to me, every time I'd play with new people they'd sound kind of weirded out by it. I never really liked it, so I figure after over a year of not liking it I can finally change it for a semi-reasonable price.

don't worry, you're not alone in making that mistake

@Kay
    It wasn't a mistake! It was an INFORMED CHOICE!
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
    Those jokes have gotten very, very old recently

Well, EA grinding my friends through hellish dev cycles and then laying them off while reaping the rewards over and over again has also gotten old. If you think light ribbing and dumb punchlines about bungled user experiences on a webcomic forum is actual EA hate, I dunno man.
    HlDUfm7.png
  • SoaLSoaL Registered User regular
    EA killed my dog and laughed
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Guys should I try dota?
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Guys should I try dota?
    yes.
    try anything that is free
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    yeah

also try league and decide which one you like more

or just play league because that's the one you'll choose anyway
    1AgQz.png
    Well I did just do the tutorial.

It doesn't seem that bad.

I mean I know the skill ceiling is bonkers and those items seemed a little complicated, but it seems like it could be fun?
    I like league alright enough, I just need something else to compare it against.
    hi-rez just put out a small hotfix patch for smite

just fixes some bugs, no balance changes or anything
    shit I still need to reinstall that.

I have no idea how it uninstalled itself.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i decided not to get lissandra

because i want to taste that sweet, broken maliken once more
    wat....
    they're adding maliken to league
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    I played one game of DOTA and I had zero fun, so I will stick to League. That's just me though. Try some games out, it's free so there's nothing to lose really.
  • Blue mapBlue map Registered User regular
    Dota is definitely worth a try. I prefer it to league since there's no meta grinding nonsense and the roles in the game are a lot more free form, although the way it handles some of its RNG elements drives me up the wall sometimes.
    Uriel wrote: »
    Guys should I try dota?
    yes.
    try anything that is free

Even Ragnarok Online 2?
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    they are prob going to try and be like the blizzard dota and never come out

aX9Hboj.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO WHY HAVE YOU SUMMONED ME? Registered User regular
    there's exceptions
    dragonballs_zpsb73dc5b7.jpg
    meta grinding?
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    what was wrong with lady lynnette?

When I made it I didn't realize it was going to be my display name ingame. It just sounds kind of roleplay-ish to me, every time I'd play with new people they'd sound kind of weirded out by it. I never really liked it, so I figure after over a year of not liking it I can finally change it for a semi-reasonable price.

don't worry, you're not alone in making that mistake

Kay
    It wasn't a mistake! It was an INFORMED CHOICE!

How's Avalon these days ;)
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    meta grinding?

summoner levels, runes, champ unlocks
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    meta grinding?

doesn't smite have this though too, bluemap?
    Naphtali on
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
    dota, the one true moba, doesn't have those

it has hats
    meta grinding?

I don't really get how that's "meta", but ok.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2013
    if you are level 19, and have no runes, facing someone who is 30, with full tier 3 runes, you will lose

maybe not for anything related to skill

in the meta of grinding shit out of game to increase your ingame power, you are disadvantaged for not doing it, compared to those who do

edit: not meta in the sense of "heimerdinger trilane mid will be the hot thing this season"
    Big Red Tie on