Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    People keep saying "Nintendo is within their legal rights", but I guess I'm confused as to how. The commentary/extra content in an LP is the LPer's creative work, in the same way that the game itself is Nintendo's creative work. So if Nintendo can put in a request to YouTube to get all the ad revenue because a video involves their creative work, aren't LPers equally within their rights to take back all the ad revenue because now Nintendo's video is profiting from their creative work?

This seems less like a "Acting within their legal rights" situation and more like Nintendo is using the fact that they can hire lots of lawyers to actively bully small content creators out of their legal rights. Am I wrong about that?

As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong) The LPers using Nintendos content in the first place is only because Nintendo allows it. Under the copyright laws they are within their rights to request the removal of any video displaying their games without explicit permission from them to do so.

Instead of doing that though Nintendo has decided to allow them to utilize their games in the videos, but want the ad revenue generated from it.

Without the Game the LPers wouldn't have a video, the entire purpose of a LP is to play a game, and that game is copyrighted under the company who holds that copyright.

Fair use comes into play in certain cases, but I think someone listed early that LPs fail to hold up to the Fair Use aspect of copyright law.

Admittedly I know very little about copyright law so I'm not entirely sure on these points.

Yeah, I think they're actually within their rights to demand a takedown, but not necessarily within their rights to demand the ad revenue. Because by demanding the ad revenue they're profiting off of another's work, which is exactly the thing that they are making the complaint about. IANAL though.

I think the key thing here though is they are basically saying "It's within our rights to stop you completely from making those videos, but we understand you like making those videos, so we'll let you do that but since the videos are based on our content we are going to play our ads and gets the revenue generated from them"

As opposed to taking down the videos and noone gets the ad revenue. The thing is right now the LPers are in violation of the copyright laws, so they don't really have a right to show their video since it relies primarily on the content Nintendo is providing.

So while you are correct in that Nintendo is profiting from their videos, that is basically the price they are paying for utilizing Nintendo's content.

It is a very grey area. (at least to me)
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    People keep saying "Nintendo is within their legal rights", but I guess I'm confused as to how. The commentary/extra content in an LP is the LPer's creative work, in the same way that the game itself is Nintendo's creative work. So if Nintendo can put in a request to YouTube to get all the ad revenue because a video involves their creative work, aren't LPers equally within their rights to take back all the ad revenue because now Nintendo's video is profiting from their creative work?

This seems less like a "Acting within their legal rights" situation and more like Nintendo is using the fact that they can hire lots of lawyers to actively bully small content creators out of their legal rights. Am I wrong about that?

As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong) The LPers using Nintendos content in the first place is only because Nintendo allows it. Under the copyright laws they are within their rights to request the removal of any video displaying their games without explicit permission from them to do so.

Instead of doing that though Nintendo has decided to allow them to utilize their games in the videos, but want the ad revenue generated from it.

Without the Game the LPers wouldn't have a video, the entire purpose of a LP is to play a game, and that game is copyrighted under the company who holds that copyright.

Fair use comes into play in certain cases, but I think someone listed early that LPs fail to hold up to the Fair Use aspect of copyright law.

Admittedly I know very little about copyright law so I'm not entirely sure on these points.

Yeah, I think they're actually within their rights to demand a takedown, but not necessarily within their rights to demand the ad revenue. Because by demanding the ad revenue they're profiting off of another's work, which is exactly the thing that they are making the complaint about. IANAL though.

Would you see the demanding of the removal of the work as being preferential in this case, then?

Not preferential, but probably legal under the current system, in the actual legal sense and not in the "I can hire a lawyer and you can't, so I'm always right" sense.

The preferential thing would be if our copyright laws weren't broken such that companies can claim ownership or control over these kinds of derivative works.

Would you see the demanding of the removal of the work as being preferential in this case, then?

Not preferential, but probably legal under the current system, in the actual legal sense and not in the "I can hire a lawyer and you can't, so I'm always right" sense.

The preferential thing would be if our copyright laws weren't broken such that companies can claim ownership or control over these kinds of derivative works.

The question is whether or not it falls under a "derivative" work.

If it's just a guy playing the game I would say no, he is not adding any content, he is just showing the game, which I think gives Nintendo the right. Him talking over the game in my opinion is not enough to override Nintendos rights.

If he is adding content to the point where people are showing up specifically to see him, and the game is secondary I would say he has the rights, because in that case it doesn't really matter WHAT game is being played because people specifically want to see this guy and what he has to say.

Right now however, as I understand it, there is no such distinction.

t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

If it's just a guy playing the game I would say no, he is not adding any content, he is just showing the game, which I think gives Nintendo the right. Him talking over the game in my opinion is not enough to override Nintendos rights.

If he is adding content to the point where people are showing up specifically to see him, and the game is secondary I would say he has the rights, because in that case it doesn't really matter WHAT game is being played because people specifically want to see this guy and what he has to say.

Yet, who would you have to be the arbiter of saying where the line lies? What amount of original content by an LPer would make it a derivative work and unique to a sufficient degree to allow the LPer to gain the revenue from their efforts as opposed to the IP owner of the game being used as a platform for the LP?

Sometimes talking over the game is the very content people are showing up for. Sometimes it's just seeing the gameplay.
    steam_sig.png
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular

Oh, definitely. At some point there has to be a distinction. A complete video of the game with no commentary added probably isn't a derivative work, while something like the Angry Video Game Nerd that adds narrative, songs, skits, and characters almost certainly qualifies as one.

The problem is that while a good LPer can make some money, it isn't really enough money to make arguing their case in a court of law worthwhile. So the end result is probably just that Nintendo games won't get LPed very often.

The implications here for game reviews do get a little disturbing (under this precedent a company could easily take down any negative review of their product), but that's not very likely to happen in practice.
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Yet, who would you have to be the arbiter of saying where the line lies? What amount of original content by an LPer would make it a derivative work and unique to a sufficient degree to allow the LPer to gain the revenue from their efforts as opposed to the IP owner of the game being used as a platform for the LP?

Sometimes talking over the game is the very content people are showing up for. Sometimes it's just seeing the gameplay.

That's the thing, I have no idea. But I feel it is an important distinction to define.

I think there is something in copyright law where if you modify the content by a certain amount it falls under fair use. As with any such dispute the final arbitration depends on what is listed in the laws and a third party determining if the use of the content violates the copyright or not.
    t7pXRdE.png
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    To anyone here that has had an issue with this affecting your youtube videos or channels, TotalBiscuit tweeted that he would like to be in contact with anyone currently having to deal with this. And apparently there's a good number of people still locked out of their channels due to the SEGA debacle. So yea, copyright law. Amirite?
    0c52wn2.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Registered User regular
    Don't forget - it's not even a person claiming these, it's a computer process. With a known issue for false positives.
    I consider myself an expert in the fields of computers and mathematics. And no further.
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Sorry if it's been said, but I'm curious what the implications of this are for something like Red vs Blue. Where the game is an engine to create new content.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 they cant troll you if there dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Microsoft is cool with Rooster Teeth. It gets murky with others though. Plus, machinima is a whole different thing.
    Shady3011 on
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been said, but I'm curious what the implications of this are for something like Red vs Blue. Where the game is an engine to create new content.

usually any product that puts out a custom content creation engine is doing so in the hopes of.. well.. creating content. Plus, RvB did get the endorsement of Microsoft, and I'm sure they shared revenue.

A better question is Gary's Mod, and people taking assets from another game and putting them into the engine.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • Commodore75Commodore75 Winston "Champagne chugging" Churchill Registered User regular
    That RT are lucky to have based their content on a game (engine) made by a company that see benefits in the content RT creates.
    (AFAIK they have a pretty great relationship with Bungie.)
  • Shady3011Shady3011 they cant troll you if there dead Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

usually any product that puts out a custom content creation engine is doing so in the hopes of.. well.. creating content. Plus, RvB did get the endorsement of Microsoft, and I'm sure they shared revenue.

A better question is Gary's Mod, and people taking assets from another game and putting them into the engine.

That's definitely a greyer area as getting those assets requires a dubious process.
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Yeah I know they're on good terms, just one of the bigger names that came to mind.
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    They've been doing alot of different stuff lately, and only recently (in the last year and a half) have gotten into the LP scene. I doubt they'll be doing any more Nintendo videos if they don't get the ad revenue for them. They did a couple Mario ones I think, and got like a million views on the videos.
    0c52wn2.jpg
  • TangentialTangential Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Derivative work is an odd duck. You're not even allowed by copyright law to create it without the copyright holder's permission, but at the same time, created work IS automatically copyright to the creator. Let's Players could certainly fight back saying that the ad revenue belongs to them because of their own part of it, but the original holder (Nintendo) would just exert their right and shut it down. Mutual destruction is all that scenario would get.

What's a little worrisome to me is things like Awesome Games Done Quick. That's a similar kind of copyright violation as this and raised almost half a million for charity last time they held it.

There should really be something like mechanical licenses are for cover songs. You're making a derivative work using your own skills but their tools, archetype, template whatever, even for a silent playthrough, and you pay a fraction of any money earned to the original creators. However internet and copyright law is so incredibly fucked up and mainly consists of very large developers targeting very small fans. Even if there's a lot of them so that their pennies add up, none of them can afford to do anything but cave. I don't think anybody would have even batted an eye at this at all if Nintendo had just said "We're taking some of this ad revenue," instead of "we're taking 100% of it and you should be grateful that we didn't nuke your channels and adsense accounts completely."
    Tangential on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I am having a hard time seeing what is so bad here. Nintendo is allowing the videos to stay up, which is actually fairly progressive in terms of big companies managing their copyright online. The videos stay up, Nintendo manages their copyright (which is almost certainly the real issue here), and makes a small profit. If anything, I think of it as a sign of progress in digital copyright- back in my day these videos would have just been taken down, no questions asked.

My heart does go out to the Let's Play-ers that were using it as an income source, though. In an eternally cool world, Nintendo would split the ad revenue with the video creators, and perhaps we can convince them to do so, but I don't see anything wrong with Nintendo profiting from videos of what is largely theirs.
    3DS: 1762-3198-2019
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to the tireless efforts of Disney and their lobbyists, copyright law is actually very simple:
    Steamboat Willie (1928) and anything made since will never, ever enter the public domain.
    The extensions, contortions and justifications necessary to produce this result can be eye-watering, but the practical effect and intent is quite clear.
    Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I don't think YouTube has an option to split profits when applying this monetize content protection system. If they do and Nintendo is not utilizing it then they really should.
  • AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I am having a hard time seeing what is so bad here. Nintendo is allowing the videos to stay up, which is actually fairly progressive in terms of big companies managing their copyright online. The videos stay up, Nintendo manages their copyright (which is almost certainly the real issue here), and makes a small profit. If anything, I think of it as a sign of progress in digital copyright- back in my day these videos would have just been taken down, no questions asked.

My heart does go out to the Let's Play-ers that were using it as an income source, though. In an eternally cool world, Nintendo would split the ad revenue with the video creators, and perhaps we can convince them to do so, but I don't see anything wrong with Nintendo profiting from videos of what is largely theirs.

The main problem there is people aren't necessarily there for the game.

I don't see a problem because editing a video in any of a dozen ways magically makes it not copyrighted in a wonderful display of how useless copyright laws are. A bit of extra effort at the editting stage of uploading videos and this isn't an issue.

Make no mistake though nintendo isn't trying to defend any artistic integrity (lol) and isn't being a cool bro by "letting" the videos remain up some bright spark over there saw a few extra bucks for next to no effort and this plan was put into motion.
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    Does this apply to the new subscription models that Youtube are bringing out? If anything, this could push more people to subscriptions for Let's Play content which is beneficial to the channel owners. Possibly.

As far as this goes, it isn't a surprise really. Nintendo has been pushing more for viral marketing and social networking type advertising. They are just locking things down to ensure they have some sort of 'box' around what is going on.

Frankly, I don't see many Let's Play accounts taking a big hit from this in lost revenue. It's not going to cut millions from the few channels that make a few bucks, and in the end if no one does Nintendo Let's Plays then I guess that is how it goes.

If someone really wants to make a living off this, they can start up their own site with their own video format and their own system for monetary gain. Youtube changes policies all the time and it's always been known that the copyright holder of the content is going to be in charge, in this case it is Nintendo. No one seems to complain that NFL games or movies aren't allowed on Youtube, this is no different, save for the fact that videos will still be allowed.

There could be future steps at play here as well. Perhaps Nintendo may decide to hire some Let's Play people for their own channel, or start producing their own system of payment. You never know. It's not all doom and gloom.
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith I hate this name. Salt Lake City, UTRegistered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »

There can't be a magical barrier to determine what someone is there for. If you want to go to the Super Bowl to watch the cheerleaders, it doesn't matter if you're there to do that, watch the team, or close your eyes the whole time, you play by the rules to gain access, set by the owners of the material.

I realize that some people may enjoy the reactions/banter of people who are recording their Let's Play but the source material is still being a recorded game - you take that away and you just have a vblog with nothing to follow. If that's the case, simply remove the video and listen to someone play it - but you want both and half of that is owned by another company.

Fair use is understandable, but these people are making revenue off the content, that's where fair use ends. It's not for educational or archival purposes when you're running a channel specifically to bring in income - and if you're not - then this advertising change won't effect you at all.
  • TangentialTangential Registered User new member
    I don't see a problem because editing a video in any of a dozen ways magically makes it not copyrighted in a wonderful display of how useless copyright laws are. A bit of extra effort at the editting stage of uploading videos and this isn't an issue.

This is a really weird part of copyright law that I think someone mentioned earlier. You're not allowed to write a derivative work ala fan fiction, but you are allowed to write a parody that could be a 100% rip off of the script with fart jokes in place of names (kind of like Bored of the Rings). Copyright law is weird and kind of dumb. I'm still a fan of mechanical licenses for fucking everything of artistic/entertainment value.

There can't be a magical barrier to determine what someone is there for. If you want to go to the Super Bowl to watch the cheerleaders, it doesn't matter if you're there to do that, watch the team, or close your eyes the whole time, you play by the rules to gain access, set by the owners of the material.

I realize that some people may enjoy the reactions/banter of people who are recording their Let's Play but the source material is still being a recorded game - you take that away and you just have a vblog with nothing to follow. If that's the case, simply remove the video and listen to someone play it - but you want both and half of that is owned by another company.

Fair use is understandable, but these people are making revenue off the content, that's where fair use ends. It's not for educational or archival purposes when you're running a channel specifically to bring in income - and if you're not - then this advertising change won't effect you at all.

I find it hard to sympathize with company's that hold onto others intellectual property's just to extort as much money from a name as they can long after all but stealing them from the original developers. Just edit your videos in some way LP'ers. Hell you can usually get away with posting huge sections of movies on youtube if you just flip the footage, that's how stupid these copyright laws are. Copyright is there to protect intellectual property, a shame the actual creators of said property have long been muscled out of the picture.

edited May 2013

I find it hard to sympathize with company's that hold onto others intellectual property's just to extort as much money from a name as they can long after all but stealing them from the original developers. Just edit your videos in some way LP'ers. Hell you can usually get away with posting huge sections of movies on youtube if you just flip the footage, that's how stupid these copyright laws are. Copyright is there to protect intellectual property, a shame the actual creators of said property have long been muscled out of the picture.

Flipping footage doesn't somehow negate copyright law, it is used to trick the bots for a longer period of time.

The question here being how much of the LP is actually content that the LPer is protected by and how much of it is content they are just using from the company.

If some guy is just playing the game and streaming it, do you think that he has any right to the content he is using?
    Delphinidaes on
    t7pXRdE.png
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular

Flipping footage doesn't somehow negate copyright law, it is used to trick the bots for a longer period of time.

If the bots don't find it, no issue is found. Copyright law on the internet only starts removing content once the company finds it, not anyone. That's why this page is still full of copyrighted artwork.

That doesn't really negate my point that it's a stupid law, I've seen a few struck videos make there comebacks in reverse never to be bothered again. It may be rather anecdotal evidence but it's what I have. Just adding your own kind of ad in the form of random footage at some point works to. Hell I'd be tempted to put footage in from another company's game.

an intro/outro for videos is a pretty good way to go about avoiding it that most "amvs" use as well.

That's kind of my point besides the fact that this isn't protecting anyone's actual intellectual property is that the means used to enforce the law are utterly bananas as well.

But apart from all that it's just kind of a dick move imo, who are you really screwing over at the end of the day? yourself and your fans. It doesn't bother me except in principle I only watch one LP'er and he has never done a nintendo game but this kind of thing might become something all gaming company's start doing. It stinks of sopa and the insidious ways it keeps trying to manifest itself.

That doesn't really negate my point that it's a stupid law, I've seen a few struck videos make there comebacks in reverse never to be bothered again. It may be rather anecdotal evidence but it's what I have. Just adding your own kind of ad in the form of random footage at some point works to. Hell I'd be tempted to put footage in from another company's game.

an intro/outro for videos is a pretty good way to go about avoiding it that most "amvs" use as well.

That's kind of my point besides the fact that this isn't protecting anyone's actual intellectual property is that the means used to enforce the law are utterly bananas as well.

But apart from all that it's just kind of a dick move imo, who are you really screwing over at the end of the day? yourself and your fans. It doesn't bother me except in principle I only watch one LP'er and he has never done a nintendo game but this kind of thing might become something all gaming company's start doing. It stinks of sopa and the insidious ways it keeps trying to manifest itself.

I don't really understand how you think it's not anyones actual intellectual property. Nintendo created Link for example. They own the right to that IP, if someone sits down and plays a Zelda game on stream and makes money off it, they are very much exploiting that IP for profit. Just because YOU think that it is a dick move doesn't really invalidate their rights to that IP.

The question is how much of the stream is the LPer actually creating, if he is just streaming his gameplay, then I would say he is contributing nothing and is absolutely exploiting the IP. If he is contributing quite a bit of his/her own content then it starts to reach a grey area which was what was being discussed before you just came in with your blanket statement and then recommended steps to circumvent copyright enforcement. It's fine if you think it's just a big company trying to screw over the little man, but there is more to it than that.

t7pXRdE.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Groups and artists have successfully sued and gained ownership rights over songs that merely sampled them.

I can't take the Superbowl and broadcast it an hour later with my best Howard Cosell impersonation, the NFL would own my ass in a few hours/days. I don't own squat of that besides my bad impression even though that is a real game with different circumstances depending on how it is played.

Hell almost all of the good LPs aren't even played live, they are semi scripted after watching a recording of the person playing the game.
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576

I don't really understand how you think it's not anyones actual intellectual property. Nintendo created Link for example. They own the right to that IP, if someone sits down and plays a Zelda game on stream and makes money off it, they are very much exploiting that IP for profit. Just because YOU think that it is a dick move doesn't really invalidate their rights to that IP.

The question is how much of the stream is the LPer actually creating, if he is just streaming his gameplay, then I would say he is contributing nothing and is absolutely exploiting the IP. If he is contributing quite a bit of his/her own content then it starts to reach a grey area which was what was being discussed before you just came in with your blanket statement and then recommended steps to circumvent copyright enforcement. It's fine if you think it's just a big company trying to screw over the little man, but there is more to it than that.

My point is in this case Shigeru Miyamoto created link as far as I can tell. Not the automated banbot that nintendo is utilizing.

My point is this property they're enforcing is usually there's through especially in the past incredibly shady publishing deals. And is being used in this case by fans for entertainment purposes and nintendo's black tendrils are coiling around LP'ers whether they have ads or not. But it's ok they only want any and all potential revenue! (wait were we talking about intellectual property...maybe someone should remind nintendo!)

Again nintendo isn't here to protect there poor products from being maliciously used they're here for any potential income they're here to get another hook of control in. The game industry giants have shown there hand in these situations before if they have an inch they will try to take a mile (that whole sopa dealy was supported by most and denounced by none). That's what annoys me about these kinds of things.

My point is in this case Shigeru Miyamoto created link as far as I can tell. Not the automated banbot that nintendo is utilizing.

My point is this property they're enforcing is usually there's through especially in the past incredibly shady publishing deals. And is being used in this case by fans for entertainment purposes and nintendo's black tendrils are coiling around LP'ers whether they have ads or not. But it's ok they only want any and all potential revenue! (wait were we talking about intellectual property...maybe someone should remind nintendo!)

Again nintendo isn't here to protect there poor products from being maliciously used they're here for any potential income they're here to get another hook of control in. The game industry giants have shown there hand in these situations before if they have an inch they will try to take a mile (that whole sopa dealy was supported by most and denounced by none). That's what annoys me about these kinds of things.

That is certainly a view to take.
    t7pXRdE.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Totalbiscuit has weighed in with a very compelling argument against this move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yX4io2O4EI

I agree with him and hope that Nintendo decides to pull back and re-examine this action; they have a claim to make but they are ultimately hurting themselves and everyone else for narrow minded and shortsighted reasons.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    @Dusda please change the thread title to be accurate.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Nintendo pay youtube to advertise their products to begin with, as in for advertising space?
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Nintendo pay youtube to advertise their products to begin with, as in for advertising space?

Probably, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Nintendo ad on Youtube. It's usually the latest Call of Battlefield or Gears of Dead Space triple A game if it's gaming related, which often it isn't.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I just started that TotalBiscuit thing and have it paused to say a couple things.

He opens up his commentary on the issue by saying he's going to avoid the legality of it, and then goes HEAD INTO the legality of it by discussing ownership. That is 100% legal discussion.

Now, on to a point that matters, he argues that someone's playthrough of a game is what they own, but that's pretty faulty argument. Forget the cinematic, low-input games. Our personal experiences with things are ours as our memories and feelings. We can commit those to physicality, either by writing or acting out on video, however we please, but when the memory / feeling / experience is rooted right on top of an owned property (games, music, film), it doesn't transfer the ownership rights. This is dumb.

Edit - His argument about paying football players is also dumb. There is an official commission that owns things and decides who gets paid.
    Henroid on
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    @Dusda please change the thread title to be accurate.

How is it inaccurate?
    steam_sig.png
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Stop whining about the thread title. At this point if it gets changed I'll change it to something even worse.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
    TotalBiscuit is now making an argument that is based on assumptions of viewer behavior. He's saying that people only come to view an LP based on the person LPing and not the game. Because y'know, people like me and others who only watch games they're familiar with (or have an interest in regardless of who is LPing) don't exist. I almost thought he was onto something when he was talking about viewers coming for the LPer and not the game but it didn't last because it's not true.