Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

Reviews for Duke Nukem Forever were not great advertising for the publisher trying to sell the game! They could decide that since the reviews are making money off their game they should be removed. That's within their options, since someone is using their work to gain personal profit.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Here's the actual news.

Videos of Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ads for those videos will be for Nintendo.

What's the fucking problem?

The problem is that you're misunderstanding the actual news. The actual news is that videos containing Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ad revenue for those videos will go to Nintendo instead of the video's creator.

What's the problem?

I'm not necessarily saying there is one, but you'd do well to understand what is actually happening before passing judgment.

I've already made arguments in the thread about how I feel these people aren't entitled to the money they were making using someone else's work as a platform.

You do realize that this is how most creative works produced have come to be? The degree of using other people's work as a platform varies, it's usually called "inspiration". Almost all creative work uses existing works and cultural issues etc. as the basis for producing new content, and this is something originally recognized in copyright law. It's been long since perverted, but the sentiment is no less valid. You can't really argue that the LP commentary is something that doesn't produce additional value that isn't (at least to some degree) divorced from the game in question. The LP could be produced just as well using other games, or, fuck, playing chess on a board and producing an interesting narrative to it. This all depends on whether you consider the LP to be the product, or the LP to be of strictly tertiary importance to the game being presented, and the success(or lack of it) of the LP to be unrelated to the quality of the LP as a product, and dependent entirely on the game.

There's a difference between the inspiration to create and the 'inspiration' to talk over someone else's work while you engage it. In the latter you are creating nothing.

Yes, the LPs are producing some sort of entertainment. But people making it their 'business' need to understand there's a right way and wrong way to do it. You wanna make a career out of playing video games in the LP fashion? Contact a developer or publisher with a portfolio of your work and proof of traffic you generate. Offer to do marketing for them, either for a fee (game to game, freelancing your marketing skills) or hook up exclusively with a company for a time. Now you have an actual job playing video games, complete with the blessings and not getting caught up in legal bullshit about what you may or may not be entitled to.

Nintendo demonstrated that the income stream can close, it is not inherent with just uploading any fucking thing to YouTube.

You are contradicting yourself there. Either you recognize that there is a difference between an LP and simple gameplay footage, or you don't. If there is a difference, then the LPer is producing something, and are being deprived of the revenue from their work. Just because this is legal does not mean that it isn't a shitty move.

Also, there is a difference between a freelance LP, and a sponsored/corporate LP. It might not be a huge difference, but it can be akin to the difference between a freelance reviewer of games/movies, and a corporate reviewer of games/movies. The product can be drastically different depending on various factors re: criticism, censorship, etc.

And lastly, nobody is expecting to get rich doing LPs, they do LPs because they like doing it, while showing people games they enjoy and providing entertainment through commentary. This costs them money, and the IP owner depriving them of what little revenue they might generate only serves to potentially shut down some LPers or reduce the amount of content being generated, while having no positive PR connotations and negligible financial benefits. Just because it's legal to do doesn't make it a terribly smart thing to do. It is unlikely that doing this will increase sales, and could damage them through PR consequences and because some people judge games through LPs, especially due to their freelance nature as opposed to reviewers held in a strangehold by companies and official gameplay demos.
    steam_sig.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Here's the actual news.

Videos of Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ads for those videos will be for Nintendo.

The problem is that you're misunderstanding the actual news. The actual news is that videos containing Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ad revenue for those videos will go to Nintendo instead of the video's creator.

What's the problem?

I'm not necessarily saying there is one, but you'd do well to understand what is actually happening before passing judgment.

I've already made arguments in the thread about how I feel these people aren't entitled to the money they were making using someone else's work as a platform.

Well, for one, I'm surprised you still haven't understood it in 6 pages, Nintendo is not just merely showing Nintendo ads but all revenue generated from the videos goes to Nintendo. It's redirecting revenue from the creator (the LP author) to Nintendo. Please understand that. 6 pages. Jesus. It's not just showing Nintendo ads and that's that.

Plus, your second part sounds like a ridiculous argument to be had.

What job do you have that somehow isn't making money off of someone else's work?

I... what the fuck? Yes I know that Nintendo is taking the ad revenue. Did I not flat out say it here in this thread? I apologize, I've discussed this topic in places aside from here and don't remember what I've precisely said where. Are you done?
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.
    Can I be honest? People making money off playing video games in an unsponsored manner is probably worse than this.

Nintendo isn't exactly in the wrong here. It's weird and all, but if it's their games (their copyrighted material) they can do this. I guess. I mean, I dunno. How bad is it really for an ad to appear at the start, or end, or beside another video? People generally hyper-react to advertising anyway. Maybe a chill pill is in order. Nintendo could've said, "Why are you broadcasting our material?" and have things removed. But they're leaving the content up.

The only people getting mad about this are people making dollars off this sorta thing. I think that anyone who is actually into promoting and celebrating a game / the company that made it are gonna be fine with this.

Sounds like you didn't quite understand the situation from these and other posts.

Still waiting for your magical job that doesn't depend on other's work.

While you're thinking of that, try reading
    http://www.salon.com/2011/10/01/creative_class_is_a_lie/
    Because this whole making a career or bling bling from moma's basement is a myth, and quite frankly it's disheartening that you are advocating for Nintendo's position

After that, you might want to take a look at this--what you, and others are perpetuating here is this all or nothing capitlism we see time after time when it comes to Internet and content. Basically, your position may be increasing the inequality in society--part of the destruction of the middle class.
    http://www.salon.com/2013/05/12/jaron_lanier_the_internet_destroyed_the_middle_class/

It's not just a dick move Nintendo took, and it's technically within their 'right' (who created this rights? why do these rights exist? are rights always right?), but it's short-sighted and is the wrong move for the Internet to take.

Here, let me try to make myself clear in a brazen matter.

Get a real job.

1. Lping is not a job, it's a hobby. An expensive one that is now more expensive.

2. If it was a job, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you should promote people becomming jobless.
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

Reviews for Duke Nukem Forever were not great advertising for the publisher trying to sell the game! They could decide that since the reviews are making money off their game they should be removed. That's within their options, since someone is using their work to gain personal profit.

Do the rules of fair use extend to gameplay clips?
    mOimJys.png
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

Well, for one, I'm surprised you still haven't understood it in 6 pages, Nintendo is not just merely showing Nintendo ads but all revenue generated from the videos goes to Nintendo. It's redirecting revenue from the creator (the LP author) to Nintendo. Please understand that. 6 pages. Jesus. It's not just showing Nintendo ads and that's that.

What job do you have that somehow isn't making money off of someone else's work?

I... what the fuck? Yes I know that Nintendo is taking the ad revenue. Did I not flat out say it here in this thread? I apologize, I've discussed this topic in places aside from here and don't remember what I've precisely said where. Are you done?
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.
    Can I be honest? People making money off playing video games in an unsponsored manner is probably worse than this.

Nintendo isn't exactly in the wrong here. It's weird and all, but if it's their games (their copyrighted material) they can do this. I guess. I mean, I dunno. How bad is it really for an ad to appear at the start, or end, or beside another video? People generally hyper-react to advertising anyway. Maybe a chill pill is in order. Nintendo could've said, "Why are you broadcasting our material?" and have things removed. But they're leaving the content up.

The only people getting mad about this are people making dollars off this sorta thing. I think that anyone who is actually into promoting and celebrating a game / the company that made it are gonna be fine with this.

Sounds like you didn't quite understand the situation from these and other posts.

Because this whole making a career or bling bling from moma's basement is a myth, and quite frankly it's disheartening that you are advocating for Nintendo's position

After that, you might want to take a look at this--what you, and others are perpetuating here is this all or nothing capitlism we see time after time when it comes to Internet and content. Basically, your position may be increasing the inequality in society--part of the destruction of the middle class.
    http://www.salon.com/2013/05/12/jaron_lanier_the_internet_destroyed_the_middle_class/

It's not just a dick move Nintendo took, and it's technically within their 'right' (who created this rights? why do these rights exist? are rights always right?), but it's short-sighted and is the wrong move for the Internet to take.

Get a real job.

Don't do this ever again.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the YouTube ad partnership thing is meant for. It's meant for original content, rewarding you for massive hits over something that's actually yours. A video of your kid doing something funny, or even shows hosted via the medium like Hey Ash, What'cha Playin'. That's actual original content.

Let's Plays do not fall into that sort of 'creation' / 'creative content.'
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the YouTube ad partnership thing is meant for. It's meant for original content, rewarding you for massive hits over something that's actually yours. A video of your kid doing something funny, or even shows hosted via the medium like Hey Ash, What'cha Playin'. That's actual original content.

Why not? Is the commentary not original?
    steam_sig.png

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Riot Nrrd Registered User regular
    What's the problem?

It's also targeting reviewers and not just LPers.

What's the problem?

If you've got a domain name, generate ad revenue there.

Well, now there is a problem. Review and commentary are generally held up to be fair use; thus, the video's maker has now created a transformative work and should be entitled to his own creation, whether or not he has a domain name. Nintendo no longer has a claim here.

But now the question is, where do you draw the line between an actual review, and some guy talking while he plays the game? It gets a bit thorny at this point, and this opens up a legal and ethical minefield that, unfortunately, Nintendo can simply sidestep by virtue of having many times the resources of their targets.
    camo_sig2.png
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    1. Lping is not a job, it's a hobby. An expensive one that is now more expensive.

That's exactly the point. It's not a job, it's a hobby. Getting money from it, even to cover costs, should not be a part of the equation.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    No no no, stop right there - Where is anyone getting the impression that they are entitled to cash off other people's work? Yes, the commentary is yours, but in any industry when people are making material on top of some other piece of material the original material's owners need to give consent and are often paid for that material.
    Out of interest, do you also think the estate of authors should get a cut of a teacher's pay when their book is used in English class?
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

Get a real job.

2. If it was a job, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you should promote people becomming jobless.

Tell #1 to half of Youtube's gaming channels. PewDiePie makes a good living off being an idiot while playing video games.
    0c52wn2.jpg
    edited May 2013

That's exactly the point. It's not a job, it's a hobby. Getting money from it, even to cover costs, should not be a part of the equation.

Why not? It's not like they're getting your tax money or somesuch.

Or: Say my hobby is, I don't know...reading books. Anything really. If someone decided to pay me for it, why would that be wrong? It would be his desicion, no? I don't see why you think that shouldn't happen.

Edit N.3: Not to mention that, again, effort and money goes into LPs. To create free content for other people, like me. I'm fine with them being compensated. Better example: If I buy PC components, build PCs and give them away for free, why would it be wrong if I were compensated?
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You said "The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost".

Did you not write that? So again, when was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? Or is this point flat out wrong as my reply indicates it is?

1. You didn't show me the point where I said "before this condition is met, you were of the opposite opinion."

In short you cannot tell me that I was ever going to buy Sonic 06, because it was dreadful. But I have watched two entirely hilarious LPs of it!

Your argument requires knowledge in advance of why someone is watching the LP. If it was for a game that the person never intended to buy in the first place, your argument automatically fails. In fact it then turns into the absolute opposite: The only thing to gain is a sale, which completely demolishes any argument you have.

And ultimately leaves us at the point that LPs can function entirely like reviews, letting people decide to continue watching it or if it's worth while buying the game. As for ignoring the rest, it's irrelevant because this is the core point right here that you've highlighted. If you're a publisher, you probably want to believe your statement is always true, but in the real world it's probably not at all true for the majority of cases.

Again, there are people who watch LPs of games they have played, or are playing (for advice/hints/solutions), there are people who do indeed never intend to buy the game but may watch it (comedy, eg sonic), there are people who will buy it because they like the LP when they wouldn't have and yes, there are people who will change their mind deciding the game will suck.

Your very base and over simplistic argument of "watches LP = lost sale" is thus not relevant enough to how these things actually work.

Unless again, you want to tell me where I and the thousands IRRC of people who have watched Pikapuffs LP of Sonic 06. Hell the latest Game Grumps Sonic 06 episode has 109,930 views. Would you, in the context of your argument, please advise me on how many of these people ever intended to buy Sonic 06 before watching the LP? Or can you see the greater point at work now?

Jeedan wrote: »
    I really think the LPers have to consider themselves lucky that companies haven't done more take down requests on complete LPs the more I think about this subject. While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

The first game I thought of was Spec Ops. I played through Spec Ops and while I enjoyed it, I can say for certain that someone watching a Let's Play probably would get enough of the experience that buying it might feel optional to them. If that company decided to take down LPs, I could completely understand it. Nintendo is saying you can share the entire content of their game, just don't expect to get paid for it.

I don't see why this is surprising - if I put up a video of an entire NBA game with me doing my own commentary, I guarantee it won't last long on YouTube, if I put up a commentary over Season 1 of Game of Thrones, I'll bet it disappears rapidly. LPers are fortunate they were able to profit from this at all, this is actually a pretty friendly move by Nintendo compared to the alternative.

Spec Ops is a good example because the whole buzz of that game was that the game was the gameplay was pretty bland but the writing was great. I watched an LP of Spec Ops and was like "welp, that was Ok, now I have no desire to play this game".

"You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer."

The question is: Would he have ever bought it if the LP option wasn't there? That's the point, after all some people may have bought the game because of people showing that the story was significantly different. You can't say and that's the problem. Unless you disagree that an LP can sell people on a game, there is no valid argument on your side.
    Aegeri on
    I think people are just going to be arguing past each other in this topic without first establishing what constitutes fair use. I personally have no idea, but I do know there is a legal, recognized limit on fair use. I.E. I can show X minutes of show Y without consequences, but go over that limit and I'm in violation.

Already there are people arguing in absolutes - "You can't do this, it's illegal" or "You can do that, it's not immoral!" without any context to the content being discussed. This is a complex issue, and I would like to get someone who is actually an expert in this sort of matter (as in, a legal expert) to weigh in. Otherwise this topic will just be a lot of bickering.
    mOimJys.png

Why not? Is the commentary not original?

It is, but it relies on the layer of the video game being seen and heard along with it. Rifftrax was brought up earlier - a film is easier to record commentary for and leave that for people to sync with a film on their own. With a video game, you can't exactly easily sync a commentary track over a game you're playing because people play differently. The end result is kinda being out of luck with video games.
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular

I could argue that they fall under the category of Reality TV shows. Watching a comedic personality do things that I am familiar doing, but with their own personal take on it. That is what Reality TV shows are.
    0c52wn2.jpg

Your opinions on this are one thing, but you shouldn't extrapolate them to cover YouTube's policy.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    No no no, stop right there - Where is anyone getting the impression that they are entitled to cash off other people's work? Yes, the commentary is yours, but in any industry when people are making material on top of some other piece of material the original material's owners need to give consent and are often paid for that material.
    Out of interest, do you also think the estate of authors should get a cut of a teacher's pay when their book is used in English class?

Education makes things a totally different ballgame. See Fair Use law.
    What's the problem?

It's also targeting reviewers and not just LPers.

What's the problem?

If you've got a domain name, generate ad revenue there.

Well, now there is a problem. Review and commentary are generally held up to be fair use; thus, the video's maker has now created a transformative work and should be entitled to his own creation, whether or not he has a domain name. Nintendo no longer has a claim here.

But now the question is, where do you draw the line between an actual review, and some guy talking while he plays the game? It gets a bit thorny at this point, and this opens up a legal and ethical minefield that, unfortunately, Nintendo can simply sidestep by virtue of having many times the resources of their targets.

This hinges on the precise terms of Nintendo stating that footage over a certain amount of time.
    You said "The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost".

Did you not write that? So again, when was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? Or is this point flat out wrong as my reply indicates it is?

1. You didn't show me the point where I said "before this condition is met, you were of the opposite opinion."

In short you cannot tell me that I was ever going to buy Sonic 06, because it was dreadful. But I have watched two entirely hilarious LPs of it!

Your argument requires knowledge in advance of why someone is watching the LP. If it was for a game that the person never intended to buy in the first place, your argument automatically fails. In fact it then turns into the absolute opposite: The only thing to gain is a sale, which completely demolishes any argument you have.

And ultimately leaves us at the point that LPs can function entirely like reviews, letting people decide to continue watching it or if it's worth while buying the game. As for ignoring the rest, it's irrelevant because this is the core point right here that you've highlighted. If you're a publisher, you probably want to believe your statement is always true, but in the real world it's probably not at all true for the majority of cases.

Again, there are people who watch LPs of games they have played, or are playing (for advice/hints/solutions), there are people who do indeed never intend to buy the game but may watch it (comedy, eg sonic), there are people who will buy it because they like the LP when they wouldn't have and yes, there are people who will change their mind deciding the game will suck.

Your very base and over simplistic argument of "watches LP = lost sale" is thus not relevant enough to how these things actually work.

Unless again, you want to tell me where I and the thousands IRRC of people who have watched Pikapuffs LP of Sonic 06. Hell the latest Game Grumps Sonic 06 episode has 109,930 views. Would you, in the context of your argument, please advise me on how many of these people ever intended to buy Sonic 06 before watching the LP? Or can you see the greater point at work now?

I'm tired of arguing with you. I have proven you wrong, you argue points I do not make.
    steam_sig.png

Fair use law covers LPing.

If you're in any doubt about this, talk to Machinima's legal department.

I could argue that they fall under the category of Reality TV shows. Watching a comedic personality do things that I am familiar doing, but with their own personal take on it. That is what Reality TV shows are.

Reality TV has to clear things that show up. Consent. Be it from individuals who are at a location being filmed or owners of products (Coke, Sony, etc).
    edited May 2013

I'm tired of arguing with you. I have proven you wrong, you argue points I do not make.

You have not proven anything at all, like how your argument I have quoted relates at all to what actually happens.

Again, 109,930 people have viewed the latest game grumps episode of Sonic 06. How many of them are lost sales? Or are you completely conceding your argument?

Edit: And bear in mind, your first example was Metro 2033 and I pointed out I bought the game due to watching an LP. I did not do so in response to your argument, I mentioned it on page 1 of this thread well before our discussion. So I think I showed your core argument to be vastly flawed without the usual Internet tactic of name x and then, well of course I did the opposite. :P
    Aegeri on
    Fair use law covers LPing.

If you're in any doubt about this, talk to Machinima's legal department.

I'm pretty sure Machinima endeavors to get things cleared.

Your opinions on this are one thing, but you shouldn't extrapolate them to cover YouTube's policy.

YouTube has agreed to act on Nintendo's behalf, so the intent of YouTube policy seems to be a little clearer.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It's not just a dick move Nintendo took, and it's technically within their 'right' (who created these rights? why do these rights exist? are rights always right?), but it's short-sighted and is the wrong move for the Internet to take.

The line needs to be drawn somewhere, though. Every step of the way, through every layer of infringement, some amount of people will consider it a dick move. It's dickish to shut down fan games, it's dickish to shut down works that appear mostly derivitive, it's dickish to prevent the distribution of soundtracks. I can't say I think it matters much that somebody's feelings were hurt because X was harmless and/or beneficial. Somebody will always think that. What does matter is protecting your copyright or losing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0jKUhXFDI
    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
    On the fair use subject, I personally think it is well outside any "Fair use" to profit through the advertising of a game in an LP, without giving the original creator any of that. People have mentioned how expensive recording and such is for setting up on an LP, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the original games cost you are actually doing the LP for. I think there is more than a fair argument they should be finding a way to work with and share the benefits from that advertising with the publisher/developer that made the game.

You have not proven anything at all, like how your argument I have quoted relates at all to what actually happens.

Again, 109,930 people have viewed the latest game grumps episode of Sonic 06. How many of them are lost sales? Or are you completely conceding your argument?

I think you misquoted. I never argued that.
    steam_sig.png

I'm pretty sure Machinima endeavors to get things cleared.
    Not unless they're doing it behind their partners' backs.

In general, when they consider partnership with someone, one of the things they ask for is copyright claims on the account so that they can make sure they can contest them all on Fair Use grounds. I have, I think, 4 or 5 friends with Machinima contracts, and this was accurate to all their experiences.

YouTube has agreed to act on Nintendo's behalf, so the intent of YouTube policy seems to be a little clearer.

Youtube operates under the DCMA, of which any claim is met with action regardless of validity. basically they get your shit off the internet first, then sort out if it was nice and legal behind the scenes, afterwards. You shouldn't judge any takedown's viability based off of action. While I think it's pretty safe to assume Youtube will keep these videos off, there is always a chance they'll be put back online if they find there to be no infringement
    mOimJys.png
    edited May 2013

1. In short you cannot tell me that I was ever going to buy Sonic 06, because it was dreadful. But I have watched two entirely hilarious LPs of it!
    Jeedan wrote: »
    I really think the LPers have to consider themselves lucky that companies haven't done more take down requests on complete LPs the more I think about this subject. While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

The first game I thought of was Spec Ops. I played through Spec Ops and while I enjoyed it, I can say for certain that someone watching a Let's Play probably would get enough of the experience that buying it might feel optional to them. If that company decided to take down LPs, I could completely understand it. Nintendo is saying you can share the entire content of their game, just don't expect to get paid for it.

I don't see why this is surprising - if I put up a video of an entire NBA game with me doing my own commentary, I guarantee it won't last long on YouTube, if I put up a commentary over Season 1 of Game of Thrones, I'll bet it disappears rapidly. LPers are fortunate they were able to profit from this at all, this is actually a pretty friendly move by Nintendo compared to the alternative.

Spec Ops is a good example because the whole buzz of that game was that the game was the gameplay was pretty bland but the writing was great. I watched an LP of Spec Ops and was like "welp, that was Ok, now I have no desire to play this game".

"You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer."

2. The question is: Would he have ever bought it if the LP option wasn't there? That's the point, after all some people may have bought the game because of people showing that the story was significantly different. You can't say and that's the problem. Unless you disagree that an LP can sell people on a game, there is no valid argument on your side.

1. I never said that.

2. @Jeedan

Edit: I'm not arguing absolutes. You are. And you're wrong. In general, there tend to be little absolutes in life.

"There is one counterargument. Your entire thesis is wrong." Is bad when no one was arguig that it was always the case. If I'm arguing possiblity, then you have to prove that said possibility doesn't exist. Which I've proven wrong.

And this whole thing is exponentially getting stupider. And more senseless. And I've proven you wrong, or better, Jeedan has. And it doesn't matter because of COURSE there are some people who 1. want to buy a game, then 2. watch a complete LP of a game, then 3. lose desire of buying said game, even if they still think it is good.

I'm done with this.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2013
    On the fair use subject, I personally think it is well outside any "Fair use" to profit through the advertising of a game in an LP, without giving the original creator any of that. People have mentioned how expensive recording and such is for setting up on an LP, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the original games cost you are actually doing the LP for. I think there is more than a fair argument they should be finding a way to work with and share the benefits from that advertising with the publisher/developer that made the game.
    This depends on how popular you are.
    Bethryn on

Youtube operates under the DCMA, of which any claim is met with action regardless of validity. basically they get your shit off the internet first, then sort out if it was nice and legal behind the scenes, afterwards. You shouldn't judge any takedown's viability based off of action. While I think it's pretty safe to assume Youtube will keep these videos off, there is always a chance they'll be put back online if they find there to be no infringement

But we're not talking about videos being taken down. Nintendo hasn't done that and has declared intent to not pursue that.

We're talking about the ad partnership program YouTube has. Who deserves the money when people are using this sort of material to try and make that money via the ad program? Nintendo has moved that it's the one that is deserving of it. My view is that they have the strongest case for it being theirs. So it's going to cut people off who have depended on ad revenue from YouTube as their income, which was a very, very poorly decided and misguided thing to do.
    edited May 2013

Um. Actually you did. This is your post on the previous page.

Metro 2033 is even a really good personal example for me. Reviewers were all "Game is kind of janky with broken stealth mechanics, but terrific atmosphere" so I was like, "meh". So I watched an LP and saw for myself these elements weren't actually anywhere near that bad in practice and the atmosphere was just fantastic. So I bought the game when I was completely content to skip it after watching about 45 minutes or so.

The fact is that without an LP I would never have bought the game. That is certainly not true of everyone, I know there are people who probably watched an LP but never bought it, but the argument that if we removed LPs it would increase or magically produce more sales is farcical to me. They simply would spend their time watching cats on YouTube, not buying your game.

I'm arguing about watching whole LPs, not just parts of them. That's the thing: If you watch even as much as 1 hour or a game that's 20 hours or more, you've got lots of things still to see. But once you've seen them and - broken record mode ON - there's not terribly much variation, would you still buy it?

What plays into this are rising video game prices and oversaturation of the market as well.

I went back and watched the whole LP too, effectively getting even more enjoyment out of it. Especially when he met the librarians.

You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer. I think it's pretty fair to say they can swing people either way, much like a review except a bigger and more continuous chunk. I also think its reasonable to say people who watch a whole games LP either played it before, it's replayable or they never intended to buy it in the first place.

Also if I watch a whole LP of a non-multiplayer single player game, I did indeed not buy it.

But here is the point: I was never going to buy it. Want an example, Sonic 06. Now be honest, would you buy that game?

Again: I'd be happy to drop this point of discussion, at least partially.

However: The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost.

Does that mean LPs generally decrease sale numbers? Probably not, because they are also free advertisement.

You're trying to argue that it's impossible for an LP to stop even a single person from buying a game.

Which is already not true. There've been cases where I wanted a game, however didn't buy it because I still had other games to play. I decided to take a peek at a LP, got hooked, didn't even think about it, watched the whole thing and was then not interested into buying the game anymore.

So yes. You actually did argue that.

So you concede that argument was entirely wrong, or will you make some argument as to how many of the 100,000ish people watching that Game Grumps LP of Sonic 06 decided not to buy the game? Bear in mind my disagreement is specifically with the bolded portion, because you inherently assume someone wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. If that assumption is wrong, the entire premise of that argument collapses. Do you agree or disagree? Because if you see the error, then indeed, you don't need to tell me why myself (and many others) probably never were going to buy Sonic 06 in the first place.

On the other hand, I would like to know your logic for why these people wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. That's my problem with your argument as it only works if someone intended to buy the game, watched the LP and then didn't buy it. You miss the equally likely chance (sometimes more likely) that someone has utterly no interest in buying the game in the first place before watching the LP.
    Aegeri on
    edited May 2013

You're suggesting Lets Players are making hundreds of thousands of dollars? Edit - Through the ad program?
    Henroid on

Who... Who is making millions of dollars doing this?
    edited May 2013

Um. Actually you did. This is your post on the previous page.

Metro 2033 is even a really good personal example for me. Reviewers were all "Game is kind of janky with broken stealth mechanics, but terrific atmosphere" so I was like, "meh". So I watched an LP and saw for myself these elements weren't actually anywhere near that bad in practice and the atmosphere was just fantastic. So I bought the game when I was completely content to skip it after watching about 45 minutes or so.

The fact is that without an LP I would never have bought the game. That is certainly not true of everyone, I know there are people who probably watched an LP but never bought it, but the argument that if we removed LPs it would increase or magically produce more sales is farcical to me. They simply would spend their time watching cats on YouTube, not buying your game.

I'm arguing about watching whole LPs, not just parts of them. That's the thing: If you watch even as much as 1 hour or a game that's 20 hours or more, you've got lots of things still to see. But once you've seen them and - broken record mode ON - there's not terribly much variation, would you still buy it?

What plays into this are rising video game prices and oversaturation of the market as well.

I went back and watched the whole LP too, effectively getting even more enjoyment out of it. Especially when he met the librarians.

You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer. I think it's pretty fair to say they can swing people either way, much like a review except a bigger and more continuous chunk. I also think its reasonable to say people who watch a whole games LP either played it before, it's replayable or they never intended to buy it in the first place.

Also if I watch a whole LP of a non-multiplayer single player game, I did indeed not buy it.

But here is the point: I was never going to buy it. Want an example, Sonic 06. Now be honest, would you buy that game?

Again: I'd be happy to drop this point of discussion, at least partially.

However: The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost.

Does that mean LPs generally decrease sale numbers? Probably not, because they are also free advertisement.

You're trying to argue that it's impossible for an LP to stop even a single person from buying a game.

Which is already not true. There've been cases where I wanted a game, however didn't buy it because I still had other games to play. I decided to take a peek at a LP, got hooked, didn't even think about it, watched the whole thing and was then not interested into buying the game anymore.

So yes. You actually did argue that.

So you concede that argument was entirely wrong, or will you make some argument as to how many of the 100,000ish people watching that Game Grumps LP of Sonic 06 decided not to buy the game? Bear in mind my disagreement is specifically with the bolded portion, because you inherently assume someone wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. If that assumption is wrong, the entire premise of that argument collapses. Do you agree or disagree? Because if you see the error, then indeed, you don't need to tell me why myself (and many others) probably never were going to buy Sonic 06 in the first place.

On the other hand, I would like to know your logic for why these people wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. That's my problem with your argument as it only works if someone intended to buy the game, watched the LP and then didn't buy it. You miss the equally likely chance (sometimes more likely) that someone has utterly no interest in buying the game in the first place before watching the LP.

That line doesn't mean what you think it does. It's neither relating to you, nor stating that any person that met this condition was before of the opinion that they should buy this game.

Either you're comprehending it wrong, or you're deliberately maing false claims.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    The thread remained snark free for like, 5 pages. I was almost impressed.

Also it's kinda pointless arguing with Henroid when his opinion on the job which pays a few people is that it's not a job.

Like at that point you just can't make words, it just doesn't work.
    edited May 2013
    You're suggesting Lets Players are making hundreds of thousands of dollars? Edit - Through the ad program?
    I think PewDiePie and some others actually do, but in this case, I was rather referring to the fact that you can get more than the cost of a game out of ad revenue if you're getting good unique hits (i.e. in the thousands every set).

edit: I'm talking from the perspective of the LPer, not the game creator; the bolded statement I was referring to is a little ambiguous, as "setting up" for LPing takes the $24 for a FRAPS license, but the games themselves will cost $50+ a pop if you're doing recent games. I recognise it could also have been referring to the cost of creating the games.
    Bethryn on
    The thread remained snark free for like, 5 pages. I was almost impressed.

Also it's kinda pointless arguing with Henroid when his opinion on the job which pays a few people is that it's not a job.

Like at that point you just can't make words, it just doesn't work.

It shouldn't be a job because of how easily it could be taken away. Way too risky a thing to hedge your bets on.